How to Skin HD Tanks, with Free Software

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Medessec #1 Posted Feb 05 2016 - 06:31

Major

• -Players-
  • 28100 battles
  • [GNET] GNET

I've decided to make these video tutorials to demonstrate how to go about the basics of skinning and modifying the new HD tank skins. My aim is for this method to be easy for anyone to get into, and remain accessible to those who don't want to push their skills to a program as complicated as Photoshop or GIMP, as well as worrying about installing a plugin.

In this setup, all you need is:

-A windows computer with World of Tanks installed on it

-Paint.NET, a free and very barebone Photoshop-esque Image editing program

-7-zip, an archiving program to access the World of Tanks BigWorld .pkg files

and that's it!

Of course, there's some folder navigation to be done, and for some... things can get a bit tricky with the directories. So feel free to pause and rewind as much as possible, to attain every step.

Part 1:

In Part 1, you install Paint.NET and 7-zip if you don't already have it. From there, I show you how to go to your World of Tanks directory, and from there, access the original in-game texture files, and then place them accordingly for modding. I also show saving .DDS files in Paint.NET, and demonstrate right away how to refresh your tank's appearance in World of Tanks to see your modded textures. I also show you how to revert your changes at the end.

In Part 2, I show you some more features of Paint.NET, so you can learn some more powerful features of it. I go over Layers, Primary/Secondary Color, and the Brush tool, Gradient tool, and Select tool. I also talk a little bit about tracking the UVs and trial and error. If you're already knowledgeable in Paint.NET, and/or have experience skinning the tanks already, you can skip this video.

In Part 3, I go over the 4 different texture maps used to compose the final appearance of the tank in the game, and what effect each one has on it's appearance when it's modified. To demonstrate the Reflective/Specular map, I make a Golden O-Ni in the video, and then bring it into a battle to show the lighting on the tank in a battle.

These video tutorials are step by step and made to be relatively easy to follow. If you have any feedback on these videos or any questions following up any of the steps or certain parts of skinning the tank, feel free to reply below. I really hope it's a big help and it's what you guys were looking for in finding a good, quick, easy way to learn how to skin the HD tanks in World of Tanks! Good Luck!

Cl0r0x_4_U #2 Posted Feb 05 2016 - 07:43

Major

• Players
  • 28593 battles
  • [KANT0] KANT0
Very good series! Was gonna make some videos my self but after seeing this I won't.. I probably didn't know half the stuff you showed so thank you for teaching me a bit as well :) next time I have a YouTube video with a skin I'll link  your tutorials for people to learn from! :D

Everlasting_Chungus #3 Posted Feb 05 2016 - 07:59

Major

• Players
  • 33433 battles
  • [KANT0] KANT0

I got a question, how do I change/ look at the camo options for tanks? I don't want to do anything to them, just look

EDIT: in the files of wot*

Edited by Gravtech, Feb 05 2016 - 08:02.

Medessec #4 Posted Feb 05 2016 - 08:10

Major

• -Players-
  • 28100 battles
  • [GNET] GNET

View PostGravtech, on Feb 05 2016 - 06:59, said:

I got a question, how do I change/ look at the camo options for tanks? I don't want to do anything to them, just look

EDIT: in the files of wot*

If you follow the first video on opening the package files- I believe the Camo (last I checked) can be found at res>packages>"shared_content_sandbox.pkg", then look in the vehicles folder of that .pkg file, you should see a Camouflage folder in each.

Beware that the camo textures function completely different from the actual tank model textures. Regardless of the base textures that the tank uses, the camo applies directly on top of it with a slight transparency.

Cl0r0x_4_U #5 Posted Feb 05 2016 - 08:12

Major

• Players
  • 28593 battles
  • [KANT0] KANT0

View PostMedessec, on Feb 04 2016 - 23:10, said:

If you follow the first video on opening the package files- I believe the Camo (last I checked) can be found at res>packages>"shared_content_sandbox.pkg", then look in the vehicles folder of that .pkg file, you should see a Camouflage folder in each.

Beware that the camo textures function completely different from the actual tank model textures. Regardless of the base textures that the tank uses, the camo applies directly on top of it with a slight transparency.

you think you could do a video on editing the camo's?

Medessec #6 Posted Feb 05 2016 - 08:15

Major

• -Players-
  • 28100 battles
  • [GNET] GNET

View Postcaptainspetsnaz, on Feb 05 2016 - 07:12, said:

you think you could do a video on editing the camo's?

I'd have to look into them again and experiment with how they work exactly... but I'll keep it in mind for sure. I remember them being a bit difficult to make look good... so you might just be better off skinning the base textures of your tank.

But I can understand some people want to keep the camo, so they gain the advantage in battle... I'll keep it in mind.

Cl0r0x_4_U #7 Posted Feb 05 2016 - 08:16

Major

• Players
  • 28593 battles
  • [KANT0] KANT0

View PostMedessec, on Feb 04 2016 - 23:15, said:

I'd have to look into them again and experiment with how they work exactly... but I'll keep it in mind for sure. I remember them being a bit difficult to make look good... so you might just be better off skinning the base textures of your tank.

But I can understand some people want to keep the camo, so they gain the advantage in battle... I'll keep it in mind.

Everlasting_Chungus #8 Posted Feb 05 2016 - 08:16

Major

• Players
  • 33433 battles
  • [KANT0] KANT0

View PostMedessec, on Feb 04 2016 - 23:10, said:

Thanks friend :) I'm curious about the unique camo for this campaigns cw tanks

SkaerKrow #9 Posted Feb 08 2016 - 08:14

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 17396 battles
Thank you! Maybe now I can get an Israeli skin together for my Revalorise.

Skippy7547 #10 Posted May 05 2016 - 01:24

Corporal

• Players
  • 7732 battles
I kind of want to know how to mess with the files that make the indents like if i wanted to make the Bulldog look more damaged with more marks and stuff.

Gulfxray #11 Posted Dec 05 2016 - 19:00

Corporal

• Players
  • 27626 battles
  • [1VETS] 1VETS

Medessec, First let me say thank you for these tutorials -  I don't have the talent that you and many others have, however, I have wanted to dabble and see what I can do.

I am working my way through the videos and I have a question, please.
I have the HD models downloaded locally via the WOT client.  

• If I pull the JagdTiger model from vehicles_level_09_hd.pkg and modify JagdTiger_hull_01_AM_hd.dds (in res_mod/etc...) - I see no change in the garage. 
  • If I pull the JagdTiger model from vehicles_level_09.pkg and modify JagdTiger_hull_01_AM.dds (in res_mod/etc...) - I see the change in the garage.

What am I missing?  

wookiee_monster #12 Posted Dec 06 2016 - 13:04

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 19274 battles
Try zooming in, HD is for close up, non-HD is for when you are zoomed out. So you need both the SD and HD files in there for the skin to work.

Edited by wookie_monster, Dec 06 2016 - 13:09.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users