Help getting started

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
8 replies to this topic

Necrolegion #1 Posted Jul 14 2011 - 01:32

Major

• Players
  • 20132 battles
I am completely new to this game and it seems to take forever to earn any silver. I am still on the T1 and can barely manage to earn 700 silver per game with maybe a kill earning me 900. My tank is extremely brittle and dies quickly.

How can I improve myself when the tank itself is maxed?

I am trying to save up for the first SPG which is the T57. Is that tank worth it? I have no clue how good are any of the other tanks. Also from reading here and there I read that the money you make depends on your tank's tier and the tier of the tanks you destroy.

Would you recommend the $6.95 Gold pack? I have classes every day except Fridays and get about 2-3 hours free in between school and work, so the other packages wouldn't be beneficial.

Oh and one last thing. When your tank is killed, what can you do? Do you really have to wait until the entire game is completed/finished?

Nakiami #2 Posted Jul 14 2011 - 01:39

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 4613 battles

View PostNecrolegion, on Jul 14 2011 - 01:32, said:

Oh and one last thing. When your tank is killed, what can you do? Do you really have to wait until the entire game is completed/finished?
Exit the battle.  No penalty if you do after you die.

crystalshatter #3 Posted Jul 14 2011 - 01:47

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11517 battles
  • [KURO] KURO
Hello

Welcome to the game. Well, it is true that the T1 cunningham is very brittle, and dies fast. If you want, the T57 is a great and fun artillery piece to play. Although I do suggest you go down a regular tank line as well, higher tier SPGs usually suck up credits faster than you earn them. There are a lot of tutorials on the forums, which can help you be a better tanker. The tech trees all depend on your playstyle. Go soviet if you like sloppy, inaccurate but hard-hitting guns, Germans if you want accuracy, and Americans for good all-around, fast reloading, and crazy turret armor for the cost of bad hull armor. Gold does not make your tank better, Only makes you advance in the game faster. I suggest you play some more battles before buying the gold, and if you really enjoy this game, buy the gold pack. It can make the game more enjoyable, especially if you buy the $50 gold pack and get a Lowe or KV-5 with it. These tanks are premium tanks, which means that, they are usually worse than the regular tanks of the same tier, but they earn a lot more credits than the normal counterparts. Plus, you can transfer the free exp that the tanks earn with gold so you can spend them to research other tanks/modules.

Happy hunting!

BobLoblaw #4 Posted Jul 14 2011 - 01:48

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 22374 battles
Having a premium account (ie. Gold) helps alot as far as credits and xp are concerned.  It will basically halve(more or less) your time taken to the next tank etc.  Don't buy any gold out of the gate, until you actually decide you like this game, and have time to play it.  Also,if you like arty,  German is probably the best as far as low tier goes.  Get into a Wespe and so on.    American arty has really short range until tier 5.  When you die, you can leave battle and play another tank, or wait til the match is done.  The tank you died in, is locked until that match is over.  And basically after tier 6, you need premium to make any money per match and/or play higher tier tanks.

Necrolegion #5 Posted Jul 14 2011 - 02:01

Major

• Players
  • 20132 battles
Okay also thanks for responses.

Um I am mostly a type of sniper or artillery player. Not that I have an artillery tank but with my T1 I get killed quickly. Right now what I do to barely get a kill is tag with bigger tanks that are battling. I give myself a distance and try to finish off the enemies(usually they will finish off my team mates and then me lol). It feels like forever to get those 16.6K though. Right now I have 8k barely. Any tactics you guys can share to get hit points/damage points(for causing damage I mean) or kills?

crystalshatter #6 Posted Jul 14 2011 - 02:07

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 11517 battles
  • [KURO] KURO
http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/Tactics -Good guide for the beginning player

http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/Main_Page -Good source for learning about other tanks, what are they like (this will help a LOT later on) also has info on a lot of other things.

ItsGonRain #7 Posted Jul 14 2011 - 03:38

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 37605 battles
  • [BRT] BRT
If you want you can add me in-game as a contact and i can probably help you. In game name is "ItsGonRain" I've played about 4500 games (roughly 3000 since release, roughly 1500 during beta)

brdhntr #8 Posted Jul 14 2011 - 16:07

Major

• Players
  • 21925 battles
Welcome from a fellow noob (<300 games, I think).  I have a T57, and it is fun for me to play.  I'm getting better with it, and can get some decent kills using it.  It's range is limited such that you can't sit at the base and hit enemies once the fight progresses beyond 1/2 way point, so be prepared to move up.  I'm, also, having a lot of fun with the T46, M2, and Pz38t.  Pz starts out hard to play because of the engine, but once you upgrade it has been holding it's own.  I have an AT-1, and still not sure if I want to go far on TD's.  My advice is try some of everything and see what you like.  TD's might be good, as you like the sniping.

Oh, and be prepared to get owned if any small fast tanks spot you in that T57.  Your turn rate is terrible, and it's pretty much a done deal you are dead unless you get a lucky shot or a teammate saves your bacon.

Irrik #9 Posted Jul 16 2011 - 04:01

Corporal

• Players
  • 1166 battles
I really recommend not starting with a spg.

It is difficult to use one effectively without knowing the map. The minimap is bad at explaining elevation changes, which are huge for a SPG: you gotta know if that ridge will block your shot halfway across the map or not, and you want to know which bush the enemy usually hides behind.

Also, it is very common for a SPG to spend 3 seconds aiming at a target and then someone else killing him, especially at range: you have to fire a shot substantially before someone else to have it land before theirs: you really need high crew skills to use a SPG at all, as it's all about getting your shot off while it's still relevant, instead of after the battle has already ended.

My advice is to upgrade the best tier 1 tank, the MS1 (best gun by far, and that's what it's all about. Do damage, get money), then get a good tier 2 tank (not td or spg, tank), like the panzer II or the BT2, and then use those to learn the maps and make money to do the SPG tree RIGHT. You don't want to be using a SPG with a gunner that has 52% skill. You will spend half your time aiming at guys who will be dead before you even fire, and another quarter firing at guys who will die while your shot is still airborne.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users