Analogue Joystick control for WoT vehicles movement

controls joystick movement aiming

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Beltfed_ #1 Posted Feb 16 2016 - 00:45

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 33242 battles

Just finished reading about the new control features being proposed for the 9.14 release.  They sound great.  Now if I can just grow a third arm and hand I'll be able to take advantage of them.

To me, the WASD control of the tank's movement seems amateurish and really just down right hokey.  I might add seriously unrealistic.

I think it is time for WoT to be updated with support for analogue joystick control of vehicle movement and along with it the ability to assign the current keyboard controlled functions to joystick buttons.  In this arrangement turret movement and aiming would remain on the mouse as it exists currently. 

This would make for much more realistic and enjoyable play.  I'm thinking there are very few WoT gamers in the world that don't already own a joystick or wouldn't be more than happy to acquire one.

Duke Ragnar

Kamahl1234 #2 Posted Feb 16 2016 - 00:51

Major

• Players
  • 18396 battles

I for one, do not own a joystick, nor plan to. I am one of many. 

I feel the WASD movement controls work well enough for the game. And in regards to turret movement, I can only see it worthwhile as being analogue within turret rotational constraints, so for example, 0-100% is equal to 0-46 deg/s. 

To me, this would actually decrease my accuracy in turret movements, as a mouse player can go full speed with less time, and less motion. Makes competitive play easier.

Not to mention that tank movement doesn't feel natural on a single joystick. So you'd need that third arm for being a secondary movement control, or pedals and a wheel. 

I don't know of any tank game where single joystick movement has ever felt natural.

deadtanksociety #3 Posted Feb 16 2016 - 01:16

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 512 battles
the one in blitz is glitched

ket101 #4 Posted Feb 16 2016 - 01:52

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 18441 battles
  • [N-O-M] N-O-M
How do you manage to steer the tank and, at the same time, aim the gun with a joystick?  The keyboard/mouse option works quite well, and it's been used in multiple upon multiple games in the past (and will be in the future too)

_PePe_ #5 Posted Feb 16 2016 - 02:02

Major

• Players
  • 23788 battles
I used a joystick to drive all vehicles including tanks in wwii online, unfortunately it doesn't work here.

_PePe_ #6 Posted Feb 16 2016 - 02:06

Major

• Players
  • 23788 battles

View Postket101, on Feb 15 2016 - 19:52, said:

How do you manage to steer the tank and, at the same time, aim the gun with a joystick?  The keyboard/mouse option works quite well, and it's been used in multiple upon multiple games in the past (and will be in the future too)

push on the stick and the tank goes forward, need to turn right while going forward, push forward and to the right.  To aim you twist the stick to turn the turret.     

Beltfed_ #7 Posted Feb 16 2016 - 02:09

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 33242 battles

As stated in my original post, turret movement/aiming would remain on the mouse.  I've tried joystick aiming and it is way too imprecise and slow.  The joystick as I am proposing would just largely replace the keyboard.

In any case this setup would be optional at the players discretion so those too cheap to buy a joystick could certainly continue to plod along with WASD.

MechWarrior's original analogue joystick setup was pretty funky when originally released but a few patches got it humming along nicely, now-days I couldn't imagine going back  to WASD in that game.

As a teenager I actually got to drive a Patton for a few minutes at one of my Dad's 112th Cavalry Reunions, it had analogue driving controls.

Duke Ragnar

CAttack1 #8 Posted Feb 16 2016 - 02:29

Captain

• -Players-
  • 28854 battles

View Post_PePe_, on Feb 16 2016 - 01:06, said:

push on the stick and the tank goes forward, need to turn right while going forward, push forward and to the right.  To aim you twist the stick to turn the turret.     

That's gonna create some ackward arm moments...

ket101 #9 Posted Feb 16 2016 - 06:16

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 18441 battles
  • [N-O-M] N-O-M

View Post_PePe_, on Feb 16 2016 - 11:06, said:

What a horrible and inaccurate way to do things.  It almost seems like using the mousepad on a laptop would be better.

Also tagged with controls, joystick, movement, aiming

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users