Limiting capping when your team is winning

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Poll: Enable/disable capping in random (44 members have cast votes)

Would you like to be able to limit capping when your team is winning?

1. Yes (4 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

2. No (40 votes [90.91%])

Percentage of vote: 90.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote Hide poll

leeuniverse #21 Posted Feb 20 2016 - 02:06

Major

• Players
  • 36245 battles
  • [LAMP] LAMP

View PostDonward, on Feb 19 2016 - 15:34, said:

Learn basic gameplay OP. I'm sick and tired of games being lost by people like you who bleat "NO CAP, KILL ALL" and then promptly get rolled by the remaining enemy tanks or allow the enemy to outcap the team I'm on. When I get the chance to win the game by capping, I'm capping. And I can give two pins for the statpadders trying to gin up their phony make-believe WN8 rating.

A better solution? I'd rather see the XP halved for surviving teammates who allow an inferior numbered enemy to outcap them while they are blithely ignoring the siren and the growing red bar on the screen because they're too busy trying to chase down some light tank or arty in the middle of the field.

(Yes, I know there's no way to model that)

What you state almost NEVER happens..... at least in high tier play, so I don't know how you could be so "tired" of it, it doesn't happen that often.  In all my game play I've seen it happen only like 5-10 times.

What does however happen all the time, every single day is pre-mature capping, which cheats everyone, and WN8 is irrelevant, because the game has it's own stats and you only build them by shooting the hell out of tanks.

Why are you even playing the game if you aren't wanting to shoot tanks?  Wargaming controls WinRates at an average per MM, and only the highest or lowest of skills makes it go higher or lower.

Thus, "winning" is not the point of the game.  It's important when necessary, but if it's not necessary, than your focus should be on killing tanks instead of being selfish.

BTW, we aren't talking about removing capping, just limit in some way like mentioned, such as only when half the time is left, and/or certain number of enemy tanks left, i.e. half enemy dead, etc.

Nunya_000 #22 Posted Feb 20 2016 - 03:16

Major

• Players
  • 21111 battles
  • [PACNW] PACNW

View PostG_M_O_F, on Feb 19 2016 - 16:15, said:

So you guys play a F2P to cap in a little circle to win a game instead of actually play the game for what it is - a First Person Shooter - and shoot the other tanks?  

You know there are other games that let you do that and not waste more than 1-2 min per game.

But it's ok... kinda wierd audience that play this game though (or just your bunch that answered are a little wierd) but it must be only me that actually want to shoot at others until the end.

View Postleeuniverse, on Feb 19 2016 - 17:06, said:

Why are you even playing the game if you aren't wanting to shoot tanks?  Wargaming controls WinRates at an average per MM, and only the highest or lowest of skills makes it go higher or lower.

I would much rather get into a new battle with a fresh rack of 15 tanks to shoot at than chase the last few tanks around the map.  If I'm not in a position to do damage myself and I am close to cap, guess where my fat butt will be sitting. 

Block Quote

Thus, "winning" is not the point of the game.  It's important when necessary, but if it's not necessary, than your focus should be on killing tanks instead of being selfish.

To me, "winning" is the point of the game.  Why play a game if you do not intend to try to win.  Sure, shooting tanks is fun and I do a lot of that whether I win or lose.  However, I would rather win while doing so.  I have no problem being selfish.  I do not know most of the people I play with.  The other tanks might as well be 29 bots, ranging in intelligence, as far as I'm concerned.

leeuniverse #23 Posted Feb 20 2016 - 08:24

Major

• Players
  • 36245 battles
  • [LAMP] LAMP

It's one thing to be near the base, and there are a tank or two left and thus getting on cap, compared to capping well before capping is needed.

Capping should only be done in 3 instances.

- Must for the win.

- Strategy to bait the enemy

- If there's only one or two enemy left and they are a million miles away and will take forever to kill.

If you're capping and your team is still fighting and you can't get there, get off the base and reset cap.

You still get cap points, etc.

I had a game today that within the first 2 min's of the game three/four of our players capped.  I had only done 400 damage.  Sometimes when that happens I haven't even done any damage.

Can you please tell us how that's right, reasonable, fair, even smart?

"Bots" huh...?  Well guess what, we aren't bots, we are people trying to do our best at killing tanks and trying to enjoy it.

You capping when it's not needed screws us from being our best, and screws us out of enjoyment.  Many times also I'm having a great game or on track to a great game, and people like you cap when there's still like a few tanks left, so I'm screwed out of a great game.  Pisses me off to no end....  Not cool, not cool....  And it's astounding to me how you don't ever feel the same, because I'm sure it's happened to do, thus you should be sympathetic?

You play the game to shoot tanks, to be the best at it..... winning is secondary to that.  You winning is being the best at shooting tanks.  Unicorns didn't become Unicorns by sitting on the base, they got there by shooting tanks, and being the best at doing that makes them win more.  They NEVER cap when it's not necessary to win..... because it screws them out of good ratings.

Nunya_000 #24 Posted Feb 20 2016 - 13:23

Major

• Players
  • 21111 battles
  • [PACNW] PACNW

View Postleeuniverse, on Feb 19 2016 - 23:24, said:

It's one thing to be near the base, and there are a tank or two left and thus getting on cap, compared to capping well before capping is needed.

Capping should only be done in 3 instances.

- Must for the win.

- Strategy to bait the enemy

- If there's only one or two enemy left and they are a million miles away and will take forever to kill.

Disagree....

#4-End the game to move onto the next game where there is a lot more tanks to shoot at.

Block Quote

If you're capping and your team is still fighting and you can't get there, get off the base and reset cap.

You still get cap points, etc.

Nope.  The minute I get off cap, I lose all that I have accumulated.  I might get off cap if someone needs one last kill for TG, but only if I feel like it.

Block Quote

I had a game today that within the first 2 min's of the game three/four of our players capped.  I had only done 400 damage.  Sometimes when that happens I haven't even done any damage.

Can you please tell us how that's right, reasonable, fair, even smart?

My stance is in no way supporting "Fast Capping".  Fast capping and capping when there are only a couple of tanks left are completely two different things.

Block Quote

"Bots" huh...?  Well guess what, we aren't bots, we are people trying to do our best at killing tanks and trying to enjoy it.

You capping when it's not needed screws us from being our best, and screws us out of enjoyment.  Many times also I'm having a great game or on track to a great game, and people like you cap when there's still like a few tanks left, so I'm screwed out of a great game.  Pisses me off to no end....  Not cool, not cool....  And it's astounding to me how you don't ever feel the same, because I'm sure it's happened to do, thus you should be sympathetic?

Yep, bots.  While it might be selfish for me to cap and rob you of potential damage, it is also selfish on your part to expect me to wait around while you farm that damage.  I do not care about you.  You mean nothing to me.  I do not care what kind of game you had...I do not care about you improving your stats...I do not care how much enjoyment you are having.  You are a stranger....a faceless entity.  I know nothing about you and do not even know if you would extend me the same consideration.

Yes, I have been in situations where I am trying to kill the last few tank and our team suddenly caps.  I just promptly forget about it.  It does not piss me off and I do not give it a second thought.  Why should I?  It is a game.  I move on to the next battle so that I can have more fun.

Block Quote

You play the game to shoot tanks, to be the best at it..... winning is secondary to that.  You winning is being the best at shooting tanks.  Unicorns didn't become Unicorns by sitting on the base, they got there by shooting tanks, and being the best at doing that makes them win more.  They NEVER cap when it's not necessary to win..... because it screws them out of good ratings.

I get plenty of "shooting tanks" and would rather get into the next battle where there are more tanks to shoot at.  Unicums become Unicums by farming damage.  I have no desire to be a Unicum.  I am very comfortable with my game.  While I may not be the best player, I certainly am above average.  I have fun and that is exactly what I am playing this game for.

reaper_swpz #25 Posted Feb 21 2016 - 16:55

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 10916 battles

It's almost always the tanks that do 0 damage and who simply follow the push who end up capping.

Capping should really only ever be a last resort or when you know your team cannot take on the other and you manage to beat a flank and cap. Capping when you have 10 tanks to their 3 is ... silly.

Edited by reaper_swpz, Feb 21 2016 - 16:56.

commander42 #26 Posted Feb 22 2016 - 01:02

Major

• Players
  • 25899 battles
  • [T-R-P] T-R-P

View Postreaper_swpz, on Feb 21 2016 - 10:55, said:

It's almost always the tanks that do 0 damage and who simply follow the push who end up capping.

Capping should really only ever be a last resort or when you know your team cannot take on the other and you manage to beat a flank and cap. Capping when you have 10 tanks to their 3 is ... silly.

or when they enemy might cap you out, or when you aren't sure if you can beat them with kill all or or or... there are so much stuff that goes into a situation that determines whether to cap or not its impossible to list all of them

which is what makes the idea from the OP even more ridiculous then it is already

OrnmiIler #27 Posted Mar 03 2016 - 22:20

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 37969 battles

View PostAcePanzerCommander, on Feb 19 2016 - 16:29, said:

this is just flat out stupid.

Ditto!

VenteRuma #28 Posted Mar 04 2016 - 04:17

Corporal

• Players
  • 23389 battles
  • [RNT] RNT
NO!!!!  This removes the option of a fair battle!!!  It also removes a major 'balance' to the team that is 'losing'.  What's that advantage?  That's that they have to either cap, OR find you and kill you.  I can't remember the number of times that I've won in 3v1, 4v1 and once in a 5v1 random battle....where I'm the ONE at the end of the match.  They had to come to either find me, or kill me to win.  Those that complain about not being able to hunt down the last remaining players can stuff it up their exhaust pipes.   If you don't like me capping....then come stop it ;)   I'm going to WIN.....and if that means that you don't get your last 100pts of damage, then so be it.  Now, if I know that you are after the last guy and want to get your Top Gun...then I might let you, but you have to have a chance for that and ASK for it.  Otherwise, too bad.....not sorry.

R3AKTONZ #29 Posted Mar 04 2016 - 19:11

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 8536 battles
  • [4AWKU] 4AWKU

At 10-3 capping is kind of pointless in terms of getting the win, but If he's down at cap with a slow heavy, and all the action is too far away for him to get in on it, why are our damage points more important than his capping points? And if you're already kicking the snot out of them, how much more is there to be made, really?  a crippled light and two arty? split between five or six of us? 

Also, is it more selfish to farm damage or to let 30 guys whose tanks are stuck in game get them back in garage faster by capping? 

Now, I usually don't cap and when I capped yesterday in Sacred Valley -  we were up pretty solid - I did announce in chat I was doing it for LT mission 8, and the team was cool with it .  But if somebody wants to cap, they are within the rules.

LordTutor #30 Posted Mar 05 2016 - 02:39

Private

• Players
  • 30338 battles
  • [REBCO] REBCO
I understand your point, as many times I am still aiming and fighting when I think my pc has frozen up, but instead it is a cap victory. But, many times I have driven my not so nimble heavy tanks across the battlefield, killed many reds on the way to red base and I am too slow to hunt down some fast little bugger. I am sitting on cap, simple, cap was the goal, kill anyone in the way and the fast members of my team have around one minute to kill the remaining reds. When I used to track my stats, the cap points and defense points add into some dumb equation that tells almost everyone that I am orange. Why would I give up good exp. to hunt down a tank that will be dead before I get close to it? I am sitting at cap until they come to me. The game has always been about taking the objective and sometimes defending your own base while killing the reds. To change now, is to ruin the game. Start a new game mode with no cap and see how it fares, fight to death mode! Then, if you choose that game mode in the drop down box, then you get what you chose without making others choose it.

Dreadshells #31 Posted Mar 06 2016 - 16:41

Sergeant

• Players
  • 49340 battles

No...

The goal is not to "idiot proof" the game. The game is SUPPOSED to be based of player choices and skill, good or bad. You already don't get that much xp from capping anyway (other than if it ends up winning the game in the hypothetical case of course). What more do you want? 

NK_33 #32 Posted Mar 06 2016 - 17:34

Major

• -Players-
  • 19390 battles

View PostDreadshells, on Mar 06 2016 - 07:41, said:

No...

The goal is not to "idiot proof" the game. The game is SUPPOSED to be based of player choices and skill, good or bad. You already don't get that much xp from capping anyway (other than if it ends up winning the game in the hypothetical case of course). What more do you want?

You read it in earlier posts, they want to farm damage 'winning isn't important to me'.  These are people playing WoWN8.  They'd rather spend 5 minutes chasing down the last 100 damage points so their damage per game is higher, than capping out and getting out and starting a new game.

I've seen fast caps rarely, but I have seen plenty of stat padders throw away wins in order to get more damage.

I always advice putting one tank on the cap circle, preferably a slow/heavily damaged one.   This puts pressure on the remaining enemy and also ensures a win if the other side turns the tables on the 'kill all' crowd, or is just better at hiding than they are at seeking.

The additional XP for damage is not worth it if it's going to take an inordinate amount of time to hunt down the last one on a sliver of health.  This is stat padding of the worst sort.

Also look at the opposition.  Had a Matilda with dead engine, got to the cap and the fast bois called 'no cap kill all'.  The remaining enemy player had all seven of the enemy's kills.  A lone Cruiser raced back to help me cap out before he slaughtered the entire team.  The guy missed out on a Ras. Hero by killing only 13 of us.  So yeah, sometimes capping out is the only way to win.  And winning is the goal.

You think that only happens at low-tiers, I've watch 'elite' Tier 10 players do the same stupid thing, abandoning the cap to stat pad, and get their asses handed to them.

Hephaestus76 #33 Posted Mar 06 2016 - 18:10

Corporal

• Players
  • 43153 battles
  • [_CIA_] _CIA_
To those saying that capping is limiting your xp and damage. Maybe you all should actually go and look at the patent on the game. First, WN8 is not an official part of the game. it is merely someone's add on to the game. Second, MM is set up based on win rate not damage. The higher your win rate is the better the team you are put on. Yes it is messed up that they did it this way but that is the way the game is set up and they have openly said multiple times they will not change that. I for one am tired of watching people get rolled cause they want to yolo and farm damage and cause a loss. I will continue to cap no matter what you type in chat or pm me about how I suck because i cheated your @$$ of damage or xp. I'm getting the win despite you and am happier for it.

Strigonx #34 Posted Mar 06 2016 - 18:17

Major

• Players
  • 36166 battles
  • [SUX] SUX

View PostKamahl1234, on Feb 19 2016 - 17:28, said:

Why would you want to limit the ability for a more reliable win, and instead push for a risk of a loss?

i highly doubt a 14>3 scenario would end up in a defeat, and yet pubbies cap

Kamahl1234 #35 Posted Mar 06 2016 - 18:41

Major

• Players
  • 18393 battles

View PostStrigonx, on Mar 06 2016 - 17:17, said:

i highly doubt a 14>3 scenario would end up in a defeat, and yet pubbies cap

Depends on HP pools, positioning, and if your team decides to be silly and approach one at a time.

I've seen many a game lost like that, due to over confidence.

ArmoredCasket #36 Posted Mar 06 2016 - 22:07

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 20491 battles
you would need to define winning.  I have seen games where people thought they were ahead and lost.   thinking more about this post, not a good idea.  I don't think you can define winning.

Manimal__ #37 Posted Mar 07 2016 - 02:08

Major

• Players
  • 40472 battles

View PostKamahl1234, on Feb 19 2016 - 13:28, said:

Why would you want to limit the ability for a more reliable win, and instead push for a risk of a loss?

Reasons bro, reasons.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users