Yet another arty suggestion: locked, free and standard mode

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Charlie_The_Cat #1 Posted Feb 25 2016 - 21:31

Captain

• -Players-
  • 14636 battles

I was talking with some friends lately about the arty situation and the thousands of threads that spawn daily here, and we oriented our discussions toward changing it by in fact adding 2 new ways to play it for different kind of players and situations.

For players who wishes to remove rng a bit more from the equation:

Locked mode - aka advanced stabilization system

-Locking an arty in place would require 10 sec, and removing it another 10 sec before the unit can move.

-Once locked, the aiming reticule would start 20-30% smaller and shrink another 30-40% pass the usually fully aimed area if the player waits another 3-5 sec more.

-The reticule movement in locked mode would be restrained to a 100mx100m area, it would also be 100% slower than in standard mode and no TD mode would be possible.

-Targeted vehicles would benefit a 3 sec alarm when they are shot at

For players that what more action and less waiting, but at a higher rng risk:

Free mode - aka fast and imprecise mode

When arty is in free mode, it behaves almost as to what arty is today, with the following change:

-Reload times are 50% faster (or even more)

-Damages are 50%-70% less

-TD mode with snipper view possible

-Reticule fully aimed size would be 50% larger than the standard mode in both aerial and snipper view

And for players who wants to stick with what is currently in game.

Standard mode

All of this is speculation of course, but what are you thoughts?  Could some of these modes be fun to play?

PR_calvin #2 Posted Feb 25 2016 - 21:42

Captain

• Players
  • 17333 battles
  • [REL-A] REL-A

Oh god no.

Any situation where arty either fires faster or aims faster than it currently does is BAD news.

Seriously.

Preference is to remove it, if you must keep it, lower the splash damage and radius, but make it more accurate

QWERTYEel89 #3 Posted Feb 25 2016 - 21:43

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 22980 battles
With some minor adjustments to your suggestion I think it could work to alter how arty is played. An increase of accuracy at the expense of an extended loading time and a "cool down" It's possible this will make counter battery more effective and force arty players to observe whether or not their equivalent has in fact launched an attack or simply waiting for your to give yourself away. I think with some adjustments it may work to make artillery a more dynamic class.

65Camino #4 Posted Feb 25 2016 - 21:45

Captain

• Players
  • 33050 battles
  • [2CMBG] 2CMBG

A couple good ideas here. Perhaps going with your "locked mode" and "free mode" ideas, and getting rid of standard mode altogether would work just fine. At any rate, overall damage should be reduced to maybe incurring more frequent splash type lower value damage hits, as opposed to more infrequent 1000+ damage hits. I can understand why arty is in the game, it just needs to be tamed down a bit. :arta:

xtcmax #5 Posted Feb 25 2016 - 21:53

Captain

• Players
  • 2447 battles

View PostPR_calvin, on Feb 25 2016 - 20:42, said:

Oh god no.

Any situation where arty either fires faster or aims faster than it currently does is BAD news.

Seriously.

Preference is to remove it, if you must keep it, lower the splash damage and radius, but make it more accurate

Arty will no be removed from the game. Either deal with it or uninstall the game and go play Tetris.

killswitch95 #6 Posted Feb 25 2016 - 21:56

Major

• Players
  • 37370 battles
  • [NICO] NICO

soslo #7 Posted Feb 25 2016 - 21:57

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 39627 battles
  • [GOONZ] GOONZ

Interesting idea....

Colddawg #8 Posted Feb 25 2016 - 22:07

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 45781 battles
  • [ICON-] ICON-

View PostPR_calvin, on Feb 25 2016 - 15:42, said:

Oh god no.

Seriously.

Preference for those who have never played it is to remove it, everyone else says "fix it" so the invisi-TDs don't reign supreme and unchecked.

Guest_The_Ultimate_Wargasm_* #9 Posted Feb 25 2016 - 22:08

View Postxtcmax, on Feb 25 2016 - 15:53, said:

Arty will no be removed from the game. Either deal with it or uninstall the game and go play Tetris.

I'm still holding out hope if enough reasonable people chant it they will remove it since it discourages dynamic game play,  and is neither fair nor balanced. 

Edited by The_Ultimate_Wargasm, Feb 25 2016 - 22:09.

TF1 #10 Posted Feb 25 2016 - 22:28

Sergeant

• Players
  • 25898 battles
  • [TUF] TUF

View PostThe_Ultimate_Wargasm, on Feb 25 2016 - 13:08, said:

I'm still holding out hope if enough reasonable people chant it they will remove it since it discourages dynamic game play,  and is neither fair nor balanced. 

I'd really like to see your logic behind that one, currently I see arty as the most underpowered tank in the game. Usually the teams with more arty lose due to their ineffectiveness in random battles.

PR_calvin #11 Posted Feb 25 2016 - 22:28

Captain

• Players
  • 17333 battles
  • [REL-A] REL-A

View PostColddawg, on Feb 25 2016 - 16:07, said:

Preference for those who have never played it is to remove it, everyone else says "fix it" so the invisi-TDs don't reign supreme and unchecked.

I have played Arty - it's really unbalanced.

it being removed is my pipe-dream, should have worded it better.

PR_calvin #12 Posted Feb 25 2016 - 22:30

Captain

• Players
  • 17333 battles
  • [REL-A] REL-A

View Postxtcmax, on Feb 25 2016 - 15:53, said:

We shouldn't just sit down and take it - something has to be done about it. I will not "go away and play Tetris" just because I don't like arty... that's a really stupid mindset

TF1 #13 Posted Feb 25 2016 - 22:31

Sergeant

• Players
  • 25898 battles
  • [TUF] TUF

View PostPR_calvin, on Feb 25 2016 - 13:30, said:

We shouldn't just sit down and take it - something has to be done about it. I will not "go away and play Tetris" just because I don't like arty... that's a really stupid mindset

Please explain yours then. Not everyone hates arty. I believe it to be underwhelming and next to worthless as is, when it used to actually matter. But please, explain.

Phloyd113 #14 Posted Feb 28 2016 - 22:55

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 14967 battles

First, I play arty, and will petition to keep it in the game.

Second, I like your ideas enough to consider if they need any tweaking or not (A bit concerned over giving the targeted tank a 3 second warning, for example).

I do have a question. can the arty unit change modes within the battle (considering the 10 second requirement of the locked mode), or do you have to decide that before entering the queue?

Charlie_The_Cat #15 Posted Mar 04 2016 - 01:39

Captain

• -Players-
  • 14636 battles

I wish I could have that 'stabilization' mode tonight.  

I just kept missing fully aimed shot after fully aimed shot (at big heavies!) to the point that I was the liability in 4 of the las10 games where tanks that remains still forever just can't be touched (4-5 shots in a row).

And I must also mention that the burst damage radius is a joke.  I play a tier VI arty atm with 3m burst radius, and HE shells that just fell less than 2m away always do zero damage all the time vs toilet paper tank.

Same thing for shells that hits engine decks and does lowly 100ish damage, wth is this?  I understand RNG, but this is not a shot from a 10mm gun, or the HE mechanix has a lot of variance from time to time.

VenteRuma #16 Posted Mar 04 2016 - 05:10

Corporal

• Players
  • 23385 battles
  • [RNT] RNT

Overall, I like your ideas....however, the 3 second warning is very troubling.   I also don't know how to effectively make that work.....I typically have the crosshairs off of the target tank to compensate for the 'path' the round takes on the way to the target, especially in higher tier artillery pieces.

On the 'locked hull', I think it would work....but I would chance the dynamic up a bit, instead of making it a locked box, make it a 'degrees of  dispersion' like we have for accuracy.  Every SPG is given a 'locked hull dispersion' number....that's the variation in degrees from  the center of the bore that you can move the gun tube without suffering a loss in accuracy.   If you go outside of this, then you start to lose the accuracy bonus, this is similar to having to rotate the hull when you've reached the limits of your gun tube. 

I would also like to see a pretty good sized 'buff' in splash damage.....like 100% or more....but a compensating nerf in Alpha damage.   So yes, my 203mm Obj 212 can do some SERIOUS damage to an IS-7, but I won't one shot...but if I hit the engine deck, I can still knock the engine out.   This would allow Artillery in the 'Standard' mode to still block avenues of approach, without the chances of one-shot kills on an enemy tank.

One other idea, that would be more for 'planned' matches (CW, Strongholds, Team Battles, etc) would be to give Artillery the option of choosing 'sector coverage'.   In this mode, Artillery is given the ability to reload at base, but the cost of their shells is 25% of normal and reload rate is 33% of normal.    In exchange, they can target ONLY specific blocks, ie.... The A,B,C or 1,2,3 lines on the map.  This could allow them to blindly pound certain areas of the map, denying the enemy approach, OR setting up artillery ambushes.....but at the cost of risking *no* support for their team if the enemy doesn't react.  Sector coverage has to be set during start of the battle, and while it can be changed, it requires a relocation to change, ie you couldn't pivot to cover the other part of the map.

TsarCidron #17 Posted Mar 04 2016 - 05:15

Major

• Players
  • 6817 battles
  • [RAIDM] RAIDM

View PostThe_Ultimate_Wargasm, on Feb 25 2016 - 13:08, said:

How many more years?  Its been years since arty was basically this way (give or take a nerf to individual or the class, but largely what it is now)

Holding out hope that if enough people..   Serious, the threads spring up daily.  WG ignores them.  Thousands on the threads (no, not on all, but)  and still WG ignores.  Dude, you are the epitome of optimism.  .... if enough people holler.. maybe wg will hear..  *chuckle* 

Mage_Epic #18 Posted Mar 04 2016 - 09:14

Sergeant

• Players
  • 26871 battles

So, one concern:  Would all arty have this 10-sec deployment phase?  I feel it would make more sense to have the deployment phase relative to the firing arc (wider arc means more time required to reinforce the tank).  Having a T92 deploy in the same time as a Conq GC or French 155, yet have half the firing arc is a travesty.

I feel they need to make AP rounds standard for arty, with HE as premium, massively reduce Alpha across the board for all shell types, lower firing arch, increase fire rate, increase accuracy, increase aim time, and increase HP's of all Arty.  Also replace satellite view with a modified tank sniper/battle assistant hybrid view but the viewpoint is from a few meters directly above your tank.  This will make it much harder for those 800m+ hits

Lets be honest, Artillery that is shooting at things less than 1km away is just another TD, so may as well treat them like one.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users