Jump to content


WoT end game is no longer my end game


  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Deputy276 #21 Posted Feb 29 2016 - 01:33

    Major

  • Players
  • 19415 battles
  • 5,572
  • [3_NZ] 3_NZ
  • Member since:
    06-17-2013

I recently installed XVM. Have to admit, it is disheartening to see the stats....including mine. :) But I have learned to use it ONLY to adjust how I play each battle. And when you are grinding for tanks or upgrades...don't even look at stats. They will take a major nosedive until the upgrades are complete. Oh yeah...I do not have the "prediction mode" thing enabled. It has been wrong so often that you are better off with playing the slots in Vegas. :teethhappy: As others have said...play just for "funsies" and to have a good time. Good games...cool. Losses...try and learn from them. In the end, you are only playing for yourself. Oh yeah...don't let them lay that "team play" guilt trip on you. I copied this from a post someone else made. It says it all about "team play":

 

"Your teammates are 14 other players that were chosen by the Matchmaking Algorithm to be matched with you, so that your team's tanks are more or less equal to the enemy teams." - N3RV3
 
- Your teammates are not your friends (unless platooned).
- But they are not your enemies.
- They are strangers that you share a game with.
- Their opinion of you doesn't matter.
- But your opinion of them doesn't matter either.
- You, as a single player, are playing to climb.
- You are NOT playing to make your team climb.
 
There are 2 ways of understanding your role in the team, if you abide by this, you will always climb in statistics and morally. (GUARANTEED)
 
Your motto every game should be... 
"I must carry this game, because my team will not..."


Edited by Deputy276, Feb 29 2016 - 01:33.


Johnguy13 #22 Posted Mar 01 2016 - 07:17

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 18044 battles
  • 135
  • Member since:
    04-22-2012

View PostMage_Epic, on Feb 27 2016 - 19:58, said:

Not a knock but why did you have the M103 along with the T110E5?  I figured most people are more than happy to upgrade to the E5 from the M103 and would sell it at first chance.

 

I don't have another tier 9 heavy. What if I want to platoon with someone and they want to run tier 9 heavies?

Johnguy13 #23 Posted Mar 01 2016 - 07:32

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 18044 battles
  • 135
  • Member since:
    04-22-2012

View PostDeputy276, on Feb 28 2016 - 19:33, said:

I recently installed XVM. Have to admit, it is disheartening to see the stats....including mine. :) But I have learned to use it ONLY to adjust how I play each battle. And when you are grinding for tanks or upgrades...don't even look at stats. They will take a major nosedive until the upgrades are complete. Oh yeah...I do not have the "prediction mode" thing enabled. It has been wrong so often that you are better off with playing the slots in Vegas. :teethhappy: As others have said...play just for "funsies" and to have a good time. Good games...cool. Losses...try and learn from them. In the end, you are only playing for yourself. Oh yeah...don't let them lay that "team play" guilt trip on you. I copied this from a post someone else made. It says it all about "team play":

 

"Your teammates are 14 other players that were chosen by the Matchmaking Algorithm to be matched with you, so that your team's tanks are more or less equal to the enemy teams." - N3RV3
 
- Your teammates are not your friends (unless platooned).
- But they are not your enemies.
- They are strangers that you share a game with.
- Their opinion of you doesn't matter.
- But your opinion of them doesn't matter either.
- You, as a single player, are playing to climb.
- You are NOT playing to make your team climb.
 
There are 2 ways of understanding your role in the team, if you abide by this, you will always climb in statistics and morally. (GUARANTEED)
 
Your motto every game should be... 
"I must carry this game, because my team will not..."

 

.

 

*****

I run the % to win, or the prediction mode and it's usually broken. I try to figure out why we have a 35% chance to win or a 70% chance. Is it because their tier 4 light tanks are blue and purple players and it's pulling up the number? Is it because 5 players have less than 3k battles and have been really lucky and that's pulling it up? If those 5 players are dark red instead it would pull it the other way; maybe they aren't that bad and their stats don't reflect that yet. Sometimes I notice a low chance to win and I see that their E100 and their Jg PZ E100 and their 3 man platoon of Rhm's are insanely good, insanely experienced players. It makes me notice that that's what we're trying to get around. It lumps us all together then I take that information and I look at the tanks individually.

 

Sometimes I don't even look at the number. Sometimes I don't look at anything. Sometimes I drive straight to a horrible spot and I then wonder how I'm going to get out of it.

 

 



pepe_trueno #24 Posted Mar 02 2016 - 14:51

    Major

  • Players
  • 41234 battles
  • 6,365
  • Member since:
    05-21-2011

i stoped at t8 and never bother to go any further, end tiers are a trap full of powercreep, moneysinks and a fair share of bait and switch.

 

t8 use to be awesome until they pulled battle tier 12, now they are botton feeders more often than not so overall t5-t7 are the tiers i enjoy the most with the ocasional cruiser 2 derp love or the at-15 pew pew madness.



Nagamzor #25 Posted Mar 02 2016 - 15:27

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 29444 battles
  • 222
  • [WNDEX] WNDEX
  • Member since:
    08-03-2011

View PostGrampy, on Feb 27 2016 - 18:19, said:

I think I am done chasing the bigger, better, brighter WoT Holy Grail. I am apparently not cut out for the WoT end game.
If I go into my WoT Service Record, I do pretty good until I get to tier 7-8, and then the stats go to pot. Once I get to tier 8, I have a few tanks that do OK, and a boatload of other tanks that don't do good at all., especially at tiers 8, 9 & 10. And I am tired of losing and doing terrible. Period. End of story.
So - I think it is time to cull a bunch of tanks. (Again) So - sell off everything at tier 7 and above that is not a worthy premium. (EG, keep the Type 59, etc.) or a really good machine that can carry (My AMX 13 75, Panther, T-29, IS-3, etc.)
WarGaming pushes all of us to conform to it's formula, but I don't fit. And I am tired of trying to fit. I would rather be useful and successful, and if that relegates me to inhabiting lower tiers ad infinootie - I am cool with that.
In disgusted mode; sick and tired of being annoyed and discouraged, and ready to make Drastic Decisions. Flame away if it rows your boat, I no longer care. Not going to quit the game, but I am going to play it on my own terms. It's time to play it for fun, not for goals.

 

I'm not trying to be a [edited]here, so hopefully it doesn't come across like that.

I personally don't think that WG pushes people to conform to it's formula, and while I'm not 100% sure I know what you mean by that or what their formula is, there are no rules to force people to play a certain way. You don't have to go to high tiers as we've seen by the jsnazz. They don't force you to play more than one tank or tank type if you don't want to as we've seen by Tazilon. There are tournaments for every tier through the year, there are now three different levels of clan activities at  tier 6 8 and 10 for strongholds and campaigns. However yes the general idea of the game is to move up to the high tiers.

Good for you for admitting that you're not capable of playing the top tier tanks where (in general), the better players are found more often. A lot people get to the high tiers and then freak out about cheating and how WG is rigging it against them and refuse to take responsibility for their own actions, inactions, skill, lack of knowledge, or whatever. We see it on the forums every day. People quit the game because they get to high tiers, don't really know the game, and then get frustrated.

If this change is going to keep you playing the game, then that's fantastic. People (on both ends of the spectrum), often forget that there are different levels of skill and that that some people are happy to just go out and mess around. People often forget about how those concepts apply to real life. People play a sport and they're just happy to be hanging out with their friends and they don't care that they strike out every time they're up to bat in an adult slopitch softball game (which is literally one of the easiest team sports to play as an adult). In a game like tanks people of all skill are forced to play together which as we've all seen causes a lot of hard feelings and drama whether they're justified or not.

As long as you're not trash talking people for being crappy in any of the tiers, and you're not on the forums trying to tell people how to play top tiers when you don't play them and have stated you're not good at them (we have seen people like that before), then I wish you the best of luck and hope that this change is good for you and helps the community.

Good luck dude.
 

Ironclad73 #26 Posted Mar 02 2016 - 16:55

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 21282 battles
  • 3,488
  • [DHO6] DHO6
  • Member since:
    07-26-2014

View PostGrampy, on Feb 27 2016 - 16:19, said:


WarGaming pushes all of us to conform to it's formula, but I don't fit. And I am tired of trying to fit. I would rather be useful and successful, and if that relegates me to inhabiting lower tiers ad infinootie - I am cool with that.
In disgusted mode; sick and tired of being annoyed and discouraged, and ready to make Drastic Decisions. Flame away if it rows your boat, I no longer care. Not going to quit the game, but I am going to play it on my own terms. It's time to play it for fun, not for goals.

There are more that have made that decision than you think, especially among those who didn't grow up having or playing video games .

I don't think WG pushes as much as it just feels like that is what everyone does. We start out at tier 1 and you really want to get to the better tanks fast so you start advancing up and then it just seems the natural think to do.

 

I rushed up the tiers, didn't do that well when I got tier 8 (way too fast) and then when I got my first tier 9 I played about 10 battles and said what am I doing here, what happened to the fun of the game? I also realized I wasn't having an impact on the games and not pulling my weight so I dropped back to mid tiers and started learning different types of tanks and having fun again. Still play at tier 8 occasionally but 5 - 7 is my favorite. The best is I make a difference most of the time in the games now and it is for the better.

 

Haven't taken my T9 out in probably at least a year, someday will but no hurry. I've learned a lot more from going back and learning what I should have learned before going up to tier 9, and could probably do a lot better in it but really don't have the desire to right now.

I find it so much more fun to not get in a hurry to grind anymore and with around 50 tanks in the garage I have plenty of variety.

 

I've also noticed that a higher majority of players in tiers 4 - 7 seem to be having more fun with less anger when they play than players at tiers 8 and up.


Edited by Ironclad73, Mar 02 2016 - 17:07.


Royos #27 Posted Mar 03 2016 - 00:32

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 13962 battles
  • 40
  • Member since:
    02-13-2012
I certainly agree, the chat gets a lot meaner at the top tiers more often. 

Deputy276 #28 Posted Mar 03 2016 - 10:26

    Major

  • Players
  • 19415 battles
  • 5,572
  • [3_NZ] 3_NZ
  • Member since:
    06-17-2013

View PostRoyos, on Mar 02 2016 - 17:32, said:

I certainly agree, the chat gets a lot meaner at the top tiers more often. 

 

The good news, is that you can disable chat IN BATTLE. Just hit Esc and click the Settings box for no chat and PRESTO! No more idiots. Just make sure you are in a fairly safe location when you do it the first few times. After a while, you can do it really fast. ;)

Edited by Deputy276, Mar 03 2016 - 10:26.


Royos #29 Posted Mar 03 2016 - 16:36

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 13962 battles
  • 40
  • Member since:
    02-13-2012

View PostDeputy276, on Mar 03 2016 - 01:26, said:

 

The good news, is that you can disable chat IN BATTLE. Just hit Esc and click the Settings box for no chat and PRESTO! No more idiots. Just make sure you are in a fairly safe location when you do it the first few times. After a while, you can do it really fast. 

But the bad news is that is like throwing out the clothes with the wash water. It disables one of your "senses" in the game. True 99% of the chat in the beginning of the game is worthless, but if you're still fighting at the end of the battle with only 2 or 3 players on both teams it can be very useful, that is when you can actually get real team work happening in a pubby game.  I don't like playing with my head in the sand.



Shadowy_Ninja #30 Posted Mar 03 2016 - 17:37

    Staff sergeant

  • -Players-
  • 12390 battles
  • 410
  • Member since:
    01-25-2015
If you decide you want to be "gud," read this: http://wotlabs.net/a...ple-timely-way/

Deputy276 #31 Posted Mar 03 2016 - 20:46

    Major

  • Players
  • 19415 battles
  • 5,572
  • [3_NZ] 3_NZ
  • Member since:
    06-17-2013

View PostRoyos, on Mar 03 2016 - 09:36, said:

But the bad news is that is like throwing out the clothes with the wash water. It disables one of your "senses" in the game. True 99% of the chat in the beginning of the game is worthless, but if you're still fighting at the end of the battle with only 2 or 3 players on both teams it can be very useful, that is when you can actually get real team work happening in a pubby game.  I don't like playing with my head in the sand.

 

Except...you get the a-holes handing out wrong information. You believe it, follow it, and end up losing. Then those same idiots laugh at you for being incompetent. Change the 99% to 100% worthless. 

Flarvin #32 Posted Mar 03 2016 - 21:25

    Major

  • Players
  • 53018 battles
  • 14,598
  • Member since:
    03-29-2013

View PostRoyos, on Mar 03 2016 - 10:36, said:

But the bad news is that is like throwing out the clothes with the wash water. It disables one of your "senses" in the game. True 99% of the chat in the beginning of the game is worthless, but if you're still fighting at the end of the battle with only 2 or 3 players on both teams it can be very useful, that is when you can actually get real team work happening in a pubby game.  I don't like playing with my head in the sand.

 

Even with 2-3 players on each team, I rarely see any useful info in chat. In fact most chat is completely distracting and unhelpful. You get the dead player either giving wrong advise or calling the team noobs. 

 

I have gotten "real team work" in pub matches without chat. I get at least once a night, a group of players working well together without any chat use. They play off what each other are doing and how the game is flowing. 

 

i keep chat on, but not because it might provide any help. I do it because it can be entertaining. But I still mostly ignore it. 



Flarvin #33 Posted Mar 03 2016 - 21:29

    Major

  • Players
  • 53018 battles
  • 14,598
  • Member since:
    03-29-2013

My problem with tier 10s, is that I grind them out. But instead of playing them, I am off to the next grind. 

 

I seem to to like the grind more than what I am grinding to get. 



Ironclad73 #34 Posted Mar 03 2016 - 21:32

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 21282 battles
  • 3,488
  • [DHO6] DHO6
  • Member since:
    07-26-2014

View PostDeputy276, on Mar 03 2016 - 11:46, said:

 

Except...you get the a-holes handing out wrong information. You believe it, follow it, and end up losing. Then those same idiots laugh at you for being incompetent. Change the 99% to 100% worthless. 

 

If you have any experience or knowledge you don't listen to those. If someone in chat tells me to follow them or go somewhere, I know better and ignore them. But if someone suggests teamwork hunting the last enemy(s) or says where they last saw an enemy when I'm the last or close to last one alive I use the info and decide what to do with it.

All a matter of knowing what to filter out. It happens enough I would not want to be deaf during the game.

Also if I get killed early the chat can be entertaining and if someone is being an a-hole in chat I have fun with them.


Edited by Ironclad73, Mar 03 2016 - 21:36.


Flarvin #35 Posted Mar 03 2016 - 21:42

    Major

  • Players
  • 53018 battles
  • 14,598
  • Member since:
    03-29-2013

View PostIronclad73, on Mar 03 2016 - 15:32, said:

 

If you have any experience or knowledge you don't listen to those. If someone in chat tells me to follow them or go somewhere, I know better and ignore them. But if someone suggests teamwork hunting the last enemy(s) or says where they last saw an enemy when I'm the last or close to last one alive I use the info and decide what to do with it.

All a matter of knowing what to filter out. It happens enough I would not want to be deaf during the game.

Also if I get killed early the chat can be entertaining and if someone is being an a-hole in chat I have fun with them.

 

Last know position is displayed on the mini map. 



Ironclad73 #36 Posted Mar 03 2016 - 23:30

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 21282 battles
  • 3,488
  • [DHO6] DHO6
  • Member since:
    07-26-2014

View PostFlarvin, on Mar 03 2016 - 12:42, said:

 

Last know position is displayed on the mini map. 

 

But only if you were in radio range of the of the tank that spotted its last position. If it was spotted by a teammate on the other side of the map from where you are and there aren't enough tanks left to relay that to you, you will not have that on your mini-map. I've actually had that happen a few  times when I've gone after arty or another tank when I have been on our side at the last of the battle while that tank has been spotted on their side and someone who did spot him  told me where to locate him.

As the number of teammates dwindles you don't always get notified of spotted tanks on the other side of the battle.

Because of that I get irritated at arties who sit at our base near the end of the game while I'm trying to locate the last enemy near their cap and they do nothing when I spot them because they didn't move up into radio range to help and never see them.


Edited by Ironclad73, Mar 04 2016 - 00:01.


Deputy276 #37 Posted Mar 05 2016 - 07:57

    Major

  • Players
  • 19415 battles
  • 5,572
  • [3_NZ] 3_NZ
  • Member since:
    06-17-2013

View PostIronclad73, on Mar 03 2016 - 14:32, said:

 

If you have any experience or knowledge you don't listen to those. If someone in chat tells me to follow them or go somewhere, I know better and ignore them. But if someone suggests teamwork hunting the last enemy(s) or says where they last saw an enemy when I'm the last or close to last one alive I use the info and decide what to do with it.

All a matter of knowing what to filter out. It happens enough I would not want to be deaf during the game.

Also if I get killed early the chat can be entertaining and if someone is being an a-hole in chat I have fun with them.

 

Ahhh...but if you have experience and knowledge, you really don't need chat.;) I agree about it being entertaining. Sometimes the best part of the game are the jokes and crazy talk in chat. Racial, regional, and ethnic slurs are hilarious. i know, not politically correct, but I am not PC. 




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users