Error in first person cannon view?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

BobX #1 Posted Jul 15 2011 - 23:59

Corporal

• Players
  • 1136 battles
There seems to be a mysterious issue, or perhaps even bug, where the cannon's aim drifts below player aim while in first person mode.  From what I understand, if you can aim there in first person mode with your crosshair, your tank should aim there, too, because your view is restricted with your turret movement.

http://i.imgur.com/iEqJA.jpg

This is an example of what I'm talking about.  Note the crosshair is a good amount above the reticule, while in my SU-85.  A bro in a german tank was complaining about it, too, in the same battle.

Just for proof, I CAN AIM above that.  It's not like my tank is having difficulty reaching where I am pointing my crosshair.

http://i.imgur.com/KBfMj.jpg

Same location and angle, only aiming above the tree line.  The reticule can easily reach all the way above where it was.

Now, there's an odd issue that I failed to capture on video where when this bug happens, aiming tends to drift downward whenever I shoot, just as the shot takes place, unlike times when this bug doesn't occur.  Recoil begins DOWNWARD an slightly before the bang of the shell being launched, and I believe it messes up the trajectory ever so slightly, as it seems to occur before the shell is launched.  This may not be true, but this still makes the advantage of aiming in first person less useful when it happens.  Is there a known cause so I can avoid this in the future, or what?  Why does this happen?  So far, I've yet to figure it out.

TargetOnTracks #2 Posted Jul 16 2011 - 00:05

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 22443 battles
Sometimes, you are on an angle such that your gun can't get to where your reticle is pointing. Not sure if that is your issue or not....you cropped the screen shot too much to tell.

BobX #3 Posted Jul 16 2011 - 00:12

Corporal

• Players
  • 1136 battles
I kind of included two screenshots for the sole purpose of disproving that idea.  You can use the large white semi-transparent branch of the bush I am in as a reference, if you don't believe me.  My tank was not moved at all between shots, I simply aimed up a little more after taking the first screenshot, and took another screenshot.

I cropped the image to remove battle data and simply included the core of the screen.  What you see is what you get.

GLP4X #4 Posted Jul 16 2011 - 00:16

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 10466 battles
That only happens when your aiming at nothing, when on an enemy tank it should/always be lined up.

And it could be that your aiming at such a distance that there is nothing for you to aim at (unmapped/off map area), and thus impossible to line up.

BobX #5 Posted Jul 16 2011 - 00:20

Corporal

• Players
  • 1136 battles

View PostGLP4X, on Jul 16 2011 - 00:16, said:

That only happens when your aiming at nothing, when on an enemy tank it should/always be lined up.

And it could be that your aiming at such a distance that there is nothing for you to aim at (unmapped/off map area), and thus impossible to line up.

I can test this theory next time I'm on that map, but it was happening while aiming at the hill, as well, trying to shoot at a JagdPanther.  The issue comes in when trying to LEAD a tank with this bug, and that's why it annoyed me.  A moving tank can't be hit like this, since auto-aim no longer compensates ahead for moving vehicles.  I would think that as long as I can aim the crosshair the tank SHOULD try to perfectly line it up.

Until then I don't think that's the issue.

I will note that it seems to happen when aiming at excessively high angles, such as when the tank is sloped on a hill and aiming up at a tank on a hill across from it (i.e. in this sort of situation).

Unit23 #6 Posted Jul 16 2011 - 01:22

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 4591 battles

View PostBobX, on Jul 15 2011 - 23:59, said:

There seems to be a mysterious issue, or perhaps even bug, where the cannon's aim drifts below player aim while in first person mode.  From what I understand, if you can aim there in first person mode with your crosshair, your tank should aim there, too, because your view is restricted with your turret movement.

http://i.imgur.com/iEqJA.jpg

This is an example of what I'm talking about.  Note the crosshair is a good amount above the reticule, while in my SU-85.  A bro in a german tank was complaining about it, too, in the same battle.

Just for proof, I CAN AIM above that.  It's not like my tank is having difficulty reaching where I am pointing my crosshair.

http://i.imgur.com/KBfMj.jpg

Same location and angle, only aiming above the tree line.  The reticule can easily reach all the way above where it was.

Now, there's an odd issue that I failed to capture on video where when this bug happens, aiming tends to drift downward whenever I shoot, just as the shot takes place, unlike times when this bug doesn't occur.  Recoil begins DOWNWARD an slightly before the bang of the shell being launched, and I believe it messes up the trajectory ever so slightly, as it seems to occur before the shell is launched.  This may not be true, but this still makes the advantage of aiming in first person less useful when it happens.  Is there a known cause so I can avoid this in the future, or what?  Why does this happen?  So far, I've yet to figure it out.

I've noticed the same thing myself. I don't ever think It's going to get looked it to, but it sure is annoying at critical moments when you have to re aim when switching to and from sniper.

gbrecht #7 Posted Jul 16 2011 - 01:23

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 4233 battles
  • [WKA] WKA
I've wondered about this for a long time. It always happens when aiming over hill with no ground behind it, sometimes if a tank goes invis on top of a hill ill move the reticle above the hill to try and hit them... But sometimes I think it is just going off into neverland.

SKurj #8 Posted Jul 16 2011 - 22:59

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 13512 battles
its only when your aimpoint is the sky this happens.  I guess its the drop for the extreme range or something.  I too have bug reported it but nothing has come of it.

Choppah4 #9 Posted Jul 16 2011 - 23:10

Sergeant

• Players
  • 4969 battles
Have you tried to hold your right Mouse button and move the cursor around in Sniper mode? same thing, from what I read you think the "issue" is. Your view isn't restricted, only your cannon/turret in sniper mode, which is why you have a cursor for your view and one for the cannon. View is basically your gunner looking out the port, so he can look around with/without moving the turret, although limited. You'll have to elaborate more if that's not what you're talking about.  :Smile_great:

Nakiami #10 Posted Jul 17 2011 - 03:37

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 4613 battles
The red one is accounting for gravity.

If you are aiming at a tank, the game makes them line up for you automatically.

DemonicSpoon #11 Posted Jul 17 2011 - 03:50

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 3204 battles

The red one is accounting for gravity.

If you are aiming at a tank, the game makes them line up for you automatically.

This is correct.

Optimus_Ares #12 Posted Jul 17 2011 - 09:03

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 19239 battles
Have you considered replacing your mouse? Generally if the cursor *drifts* in any direction it may be the actual sensor on the mouse-trackpad thats broken.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users