Jump to content


Scale Model Group Build, anyone?


  • Please log in to reply
980 replies to this topic

Dinbatu #961 Posted May 04 2018 - 16:04

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 4730 battles
  • 573
  • Member since:
    09-10-2010

Well doing some ships at this time but just recently finish this tank the T-72B with unusual camo

 

 

 

 

 

Rest of it here:

https://www.flickr.c...157666518411097

 

 



Lert #962 Posted May 06 2018 - 17:09

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 44728 battles
  • 25,716
  • Member since:
    09-02-2010

Very nice, Dinbatu. Good color scheme too!

 

I did some more work on my Oddball build:

 

First though, I cut up the four-link spare track segment that came with the Sherman, cut some brackets from plasticard and attached them to the sides of the turret like where in the movie spare track is kept

Image

Very crude and not very detailed, but meh. It'll do.

Then finished applying the base coat:

Image

Dry brushed some gun metal:

Image

Black wash:

Image

Sepia wash:

Image

Not pictured: The tracks were dry brushed heavily with gun metal, then a bit lighter with rust color, then a heavy sepia wash was applied.

I liberally applied all washes to simulate all the dirt, Oddball said in the movie he liked to keep his tanks dirty so it looked like they came directly from the front lines.

And that's where it sits now.



Lert #963 Posted May 07 2018 - 19:44

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 44728 battles
  • 25,716
  • Member since:
    09-02-2010
Very minor update, but a big milestone. Up until now, my man of Sher could've been any post-war M4A3E4, but now it's made the first step towards definitely being Oddball's:

Image

Lert #964 Posted May 10 2018 - 16:36

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 44728 battles
  • 25,716
  • Member since:
    09-02-2010

The rear of the engine deck of Oddball's Sherman:

Image

The main part to do is the three boxes on the rear deck. To this end I cut some HL standard boxes to size and used plasticard layered up to scratchbuild the lowest profile box. Some .5mm wire bent to shape for the handles:

Image

Painted and washed applied:

Image

And fitted:

Image

Now that the centerpieces of the rear engine deck stowage are done I can start work on the rest, like the spool, the silver - ... milk cans? Idunno. And the various hangy-downy bits.



earthman34 #965 Posted May 13 2018 - 06:03

    Major

  • Players
  • 50292 battles
  • 3,237
  • Member since:
    07-17-2013
Hmm...this has me thinking I need to make an Oddball M4...

Lert #966 Posted May 19 2018 - 18:00

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 44728 battles
  • 25,716
  • Member since:
    09-02-2010

So, some more work done ...

As you can see in this screenshot from the WoT mod, there are two silver-y milk cans of a sort:

Image

I'd been wondering how I was gonna do those, until I realized that the oil can that comes with the HL man of Sher seems to be close enough in size to work with, and I had two of them. So I cut and sanded them down:

Image

Glued on a short piece of plastic pipe:

Image

Liberally applied some fine milliput:

Image

Next day cleaned them up a bit and painted them:

Image

Purposely didn't clean them up that well as I wanted my milk cans to look beat up instead of factory fresh. Anyways, while that dried I painted six backpacks I had lying around and weathered them with washes, then took the milk cans and carefully superglued handles to them made from thin wire, and strips to mimic the handles on the lids:

Image

I cut up and painted some more of that plastic pipe to mimic the pipe Oddball says they'd use to fool the Germans in thinking he had maybe a 90mm, applied an old towing cable I had lying around and glued a German jerrycan to the front fender, like in the WoT mod:

Image

 


Still much to do, but at least the easy parts of the stowage are done. Next up, a lot of scratchbuilding, from a blue watering can to a gold lantern with red glass to a speaker, what appears to be a wicker basket and several duffel bags. Gotta figure out how to build each and every one of those. Maybe some dollhouse specialist webstore has some items I can cannibalize ...


Edited by Lert, May 19 2018 - 18:01.


Lert #967 Posted Jun 02 2018 - 20:02

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 44728 battles
  • 25,716
  • Member since:
    09-02-2010

Rivals.



ramp4ge #968 Posted Sep 24 2018 - 01:07

    Major

  • Special Beta Testers
  • 333 battles
  • 9,868
  • Member since:
    06-16-2010

Posted Image

 

Posted Image

 

Posted Image

 

Posted Image

 

Posted Image



ramp4ge #969 Posted Oct 10 2018 - 05:59

    Major

  • Special Beta Testers
  • 333 battles
  • 9,868
  • Member since:
    06-16-2010

View PostLert, on Jun 02 2018 - 11:02, said:

Rivals.

 

I've got a Heng Long M4 too. I converted it to the T23 turret and 76mm, though. I still haven't gotten around to the detailing I want to do on it. I also want to get an OpenPanzer board for it.

 

Posted Image



Beausabre #970 Posted Jan 13 2019 - 03:49

    Corporal

  • -Players-
  • 10 battles
  • 63
  • Member since:
    06-18-2018

Not sure where to post this, so I put it here....Going through some old boxes I hadn't opened in a long time and I stumbled on the first military vehicle reference book I ever got, a birthday gift from an aunt and uncle (so they deserve the blame for warping my mind) and yeah, I was a book worm (still am), "The Minitanks Manual". https://www.amazon.com/MINITANKS-MANUAL-MODEL-MINIATURES-PURPOSE-STATISTICS-HISTORY/dp/B001O1Z00O

 

 

How many remember those 1:87 (HO) scale models / toys from Roco ? Who still has theirs from childhood ?

 



Iron_Soul_Stealer #971 Posted Apr 04 2019 - 02:08

    Major

  • Players
  • 3183 battles
  • 10,208
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostBeausabre, on Jan 12 2019 - 21:49, said:

Not sure where to post this, so I put it here....Going through some old boxes I hadn't opened in a long time and I stumbled on the first military vehicle reference book I ever got, a birthday gift from an aunt and uncle (so they deserve the blame for warping my mind) and yeah, I was a book worm (still am), "The Minitanks Manual". https://www.amazon.com/MINITANKS-MANUAL-MODEL-MINIATURES-PURPOSE-STATISTICS-HISTORY/dp/B001O1Z00O

 

 

How many remember those 1:87 (HO) scale models / toys from Roco ? Who still has theirs from childhood ?

 

I didn't have any of those, but I still have my USS Constitution. First model I ever made...:) 

 

Yep, Old Ironsides...

 

 

This is just a generic web-pic. Mine doesn't look quite that nice, but it's close.

 

 



FrozenKemp #972 Posted Apr 05 2019 - 13:11

    Major

  • Players
  • 53901 battles
  • 10,008
  • [8ARMY] 8ARMY
  • Member since:
    04-24-2011
For my fellow Canadians... Bronco has announced a 1/35 Ram Mk II. 

iraqiwildman #973 Posted Apr 06 2019 - 01:56

    Captain

  • Players
  • 35359 battles
  • 1,035
  • [MO-JO] MO-JO
  • Member since:
    04-18-2011
I am building a M8 Greyhound. Hope to see this wheeled vehicle in the game soon

InspGadgt #974 Posted Apr 08 2019 - 10:19

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 10333 battles
  • 389
  • Member since:
    06-04-2011

Well it looks like WG doesn't want us to be able to 3d print models of tanks that they didn't even design...Seriously WG...what harm does it do to allow WWII tank enthusiasts to be able to 3d print their own models.  It doesn't affect your business at all.  But it affects a lot of modelers that have nothing to do with your game.

 

https://www.reddit.c...gh_thingiverse/

Attached Files

  • Attached File   WG_BS.JPG   118.97K

Edited by InspGadgt, Apr 08 2019 - 10:21.


Iron_Soul_Stealer #975 Posted Apr 11 2019 - 01:04

    Major

  • Players
  • 3183 battles
  • 10,208
  • Member since:
    01-26-2012

View PostInspGadgt, on Apr 08 2019 - 04:19, said:

Well it looks like WG doesn't want us to be able to 3d print models of tanks that they didn't even design...Seriously WG...what harm does it do to allow WWII tank enthusiasts to be able to 3d print their own models.  It doesn't affect your business at all.  But it affects a lot of modelers that have nothing to do with your game.

 

https://www.reddit.c...gh_thingiverse/

^...Probably more ridiculous "copyright" issues....:facepalm:

 

 

 

 



FrozenKemp #976 Posted May 09 2019 - 17:41

    Major

  • Players
  • 53901 battles
  • 10,008
  • [8ARMY] 8ARMY
  • Member since:
    04-24-2011

Amusing Hobbies has announced an ARL 44 kit in 1/35:

 

https://www.armorama...ticle&sid=32183


Edited by FrozenKemp, May 09 2019 - 17:41.


CDR_4_DV #977 Posted Oct 08 2019 - 14:35

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 34102 battles
  • 160
  • [CRIMZ] CRIMZ
  • Member since:
    03-04-2011

sorry to high jack this topic not sure where I could put it to make the most impacted.

 

I sent this message 4 weeks ago, and this is what I am talking about.

Urgent, do or die!!!

I am a nine year over $4,000 support of this game. I love it and I am in dire need to save it.

With that said; The US server has the least active weekly participate at just under 2%.

Fax's are fax's. I predict after Christmas the game will be dead.

I purpose we should try some simple fix's that we have already used.

Stop the campaigns and go back the the first Clanwars step up we used in the beginning. No buy in to game just the way it was and it should run full time does not stop as it did in the beginning just like it was at the second year of the game. Also, other then Pub play there should not be any mode play but clanwars during clanwars time. I also support ARTY 100% but in effort to save the game we should remove it in order to remove all EBR (A MUST ALL EBR) and super fast movers. EBR have changed the whole game. Trust me good EBR players really kill the game. Please give it some serious thought we have nothing to lose.

As a added thought we sale to many tanks. Almost all the tanks are not money well spent. They look cool, but well under preforming. I would also stop nerfing popular tanks. We work way to hard to get them to have them nerfed not long afterwards.

I really am not complaining, I am seroiusly trying to save my game and being it back up from: Number of active play per weeks(error about 5%) 128 410 (1.367%) [WOT-NEWS]

Thank You for your Time.
CDR_4_DV


This clan wars is back to just the Big Clans participating.  Please take notices to this. The smaller clans may be playing but they are not winning.

Also, these element are not needed in clan wars;  Political Leaderboard, Diplomacy, Convoys, Clan Tasks.  Under Clan Log Influence, divisions, diplomacy, convoys and administration points.

This is a simply tank game not dungeons and dragons.  Please just go back to the very first clan wars format.  Please don't cut the world map up into a small piece of the world and make counties. Fight for the world.  There are 193 countries and some of the real big countries could be divided up into many more properties if needed.  Please blow me off this is important to save to game.

Again thank you for your time.
CDR_4_DV



earthman34 #978 Posted Oct 09 2019 - 07:22

    Major

  • Players
  • 50292 battles
  • 3,237
  • Member since:
    07-17-2013

View PostCDR_4_DV, on Oct 08 2019 - 07:35, said:

sorry to high jack this topic not sure where I could put it to make the most impacted.

 

I sent this message 4 weeks ago, and this is what I am talking about.

Urgent, do or die!!!

I am a nine year over $4,000 support of this game. I love it and I am in dire need to save it.

With that said; The US server has the least active weekly participate at just under 2%.

Fax's are fax's. I predict after Christmas the game will be dead.

I purpose we should try some simple fix's that we have already used.

Stop the campaigns and go back the the first Clanwars step up we used in the beginning. No buy in to game just the way it was and it should run full time does not stop as it did in the beginning just like it was at the second year of the game. Also, other then Pub play there should not be any mode play but clanwars during clanwars time. I also support ARTY 100% but in effort to save the game we should remove it in order to remove all EBR (A MUST ALL EBR) and super fast movers. EBR have changed the whole game. Trust me good EBR players really kill the game. Please give it some serious thought we have nothing to lose.

As a added thought we sale to many tanks. Almost all the tanks are not money well spent. They look cool, but well under preforming. I would also stop nerfing popular tanks. We work way to hard to get them to have them nerfed not long afterwards.

I really am not complaining, I am seroiusly trying to save my game and being it back up from: Number of active play per weeks(error about 5%) 128 410 (1.367%) [WOT-NEWS]

Thank You for your Time.
CDR_4_DV


This clan wars is back to just the Big Clans participating.  Please take notices to this. The smaller clans may be playing but they are not winning.

Also, these element are not needed in clan wars;  Political Leaderboard, Diplomacy, Convoys, Clan Tasks.  Under Clan Log Influence, divisions, diplomacy, convoys and administration points.

This is a simply tank game not dungeons and dragons.  Please just go back to the very first clan wars format.  Please don't cut the world map up into a small piece of the world and make counties. Fight for the world.  There are 193 countries and some of the real big countries could be divided up into many more properties if needed.  Please blow me off this is important to save to game.

Again thank you for your time.
CDR_4_DV

 

It's a Russian game, designed to cater to the attitudes and habits of Russian gamers. Russian RNG, Russian bias, Russian game mechanics that ignore the laws of physics so every shot is really a gamble, not a measure of skill. It's not going to "come back", people are frankly tired of it. Most of the development has been slanted towards extracting money from wannabe tanklords, most of whom frankly suck at the game. New vehicles are always overpowered, so they can be nerfed later and more overpowered new vehicles introduced, to keep those gold purchases coming. The absurd EBRs are a good example. I still play the game a little, but I've spent no money in a long time, and likely will not again.



FrozenKemp #979 Posted Oct 26 2019 - 11:07

    Major

  • Players
  • 53901 battles
  • 10,008
  • [8ARMY] 8ARMY
  • Member since:
    04-24-2011
 Post your rants somewhere else, like the Feedback forum or general.  NOT HERE. 

The_Chieftain #980 Posted Nov 07 2019 - 22:23

    Military Specialist

  • Administrator
  • 13820 battles
  • 9,916
  • [WGA] WGA
  • Member since:
    09-08-2011
We have a feedback forum. This thread is about scale modeling!




2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users