Armor Changes of the IS-6 in 9.14

• Please log in to reply
143 replies to this topic

GhostPrime #1 Posted Mar 08 2016 - 01:20

Community Coordinator

• -Players-
  • 805 battles

Hello Tankers,

The IS-6 will be getting the HD treatment along with armor changes in the upcoming 9.14 Patch. 

We would like to share with you the changes being made to this tank in the next patch.

First, lets examine the front of the tank:

Pre 9.14 patch:

Spoiler

Post 9.14 patch:

Spoiler

Pros and cons regarding dimensions:

(+ improved; = has not changed; +/- partially improved, partially worsened, with the overall balance as the result; - worsened):

+ Cupola has been decreased in size

+ Turret roof has been decreased in size

= The Lower glacis is decreased in size, but is also slighter weaker

= The height of the vehicle is slightly shorter  

+ The driver’s hatch is now increased in size (this is a good thing, as you will notice in the next section)

+ The gap between the track and the fender has been decreased slightly

= Tracks have become noticeably bigger and now comprise external elements of the suspension. This will also make the tank easier to “track”.

Armor Protection

The values displayed in the next images DO NOT factor in normalization. It should be understood that these values are given for comparison purpose only (previous/new model). They should not be used as a basis for conclusions on whether a particular gun would penetrate a certain area of the vehicle’s armor.

Front Armor Pre 9.14 patch:

Spoiler

Front Armor Post 9.14 patch:

Spoiler

Pros and cons regarding armor protection:

+ Armor thickness of the top section of the upper glacis plate has been increased

+ Armor thickness of the driver’s hatch has increased significantly.

+ Armor thickness of frontal curving sections of the turret has slightly increased.

+ Thickness of the armor strip at the top section of the upper glacis plate has increased.

+ Armor thickness of the lower glacis plate has increased a bit.

+ The part of the fender, which was visible in the frontal view (marked with arrows) could be penetrated following the rules of two and three calibers, was removed.

= Armor protection of the cupolas has not changed in a noticeably fashion

= Turret inclination has improved, but it will have no effect due to the rules of two and three calibers.

= The armor strip between the lower glacis plate and the upper glacis plate has become wider, but armor thickness of the stripe has decreased.

- Armor protection of the lower section of the lower glacis plate has been decreased, due to its decreased effective armor thickness

Armor of the Gun Mantlet:

It can be seen that the size of the embrasure behind the gun mantlet has decreased more than twofold! Therefore, the area where the gun mantlet overlaps the turret armor has been increased significantly, with the resulting armor thickness of 300mm or more in these sections.

Armor of the mantlet Pre 9.14 Patch:

Spoiler

Armor of the mantlet Post 9.14 Patch:

Spoiler

Turret Damage Model:

Turret armor protection is displayed in the image, with areas of effective armor less than 220 mm highlighted—these areas can be viewed as vulnerable spots compared to the rest of the turret’s armor.

The armor protection pattern is displayed this way due to the complex structure of the surface. This variant will be easier to perceive, since we are only interested in weak spots.

It can be seen that the pre 9.14 model had one large weak spot on the left-side of the gun. The new model has two such areas—at the left and at the right of the gun, but each of them is slightly smaller than the weak spot in the previous model. Moreover, the new model does not have the weak spot on the gunner’s sight.

Turret damage Model Pre 9.14 Patch:

Spoiler

Turret damage Model Post 9.14 Patch:

Spoiler

Side Armor Changes:

Lastly, we examine the changes made to the side of the tank int he new patch, and give the Pros, and Cons of said changes

Side Armor Pre 9.14 Patch:

Spoiler

Side Armor Post 9.14 Patch:

Spoiler

Pros and cons regarding Side Armor:

+ Main side armor plate has has been increased to 142 mm instead of 138 mm.

+ A stripe of reinforced armor has been added (screen of 56 mm + side armor of 136 mm).

+ The prominent part of the fender, which could be penetrated following the rules of overmatching, was removed.

- Effective armor thickness of the side frontal plate has decreased a bit, which is balanced by the fact that the effective armor thickness of this frontal armor has increased slightly.

Please let us know your feedback on these changes in this thread. 

RadioaktiveTwinkieO_O #2 Posted Mar 08 2016 - 01:48

Captain

• Players
  • 22968 battles

Hey thanks for taking the time to show us all this +1 We appreciate it!!

You guys are doing a lot better with informing the community about things like this , keep it up !!

werecat #3 Posted Mar 08 2016 - 02:03

Captain

• Players
  • 30650 battles
  • [TRULL] TRULL
Thanks for listening to our feedback and keeping us informed:)

Trumpy_McTrumpface #4 Posted Mar 08 2016 - 02:04

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 1162 battles
Buff a tank that already bounces pubbies all day. Makes a lot of sense. So when are you gonna buff arty too? It needs more buffs!!!!

Edited by DON4LD_TRUMP, Mar 08 2016 - 02:04.

NL_Celt #5 Posted Mar 08 2016 - 02:19

Major

• Players
  • 28786 battles
Going to be even tougher. I guess that works. Maybe I should get one, lol.

IcedBroom #6 Posted Mar 08 2016 - 02:19

Major

• Players
  • 35810 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN
While were at it let's also make sure it has black hole armor at the side as well :). I want to have that on my is-6 :).

Tupinambis #7 Posted Mar 08 2016 - 02:41

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 36539 battles
I still think buffing this thing's armor was an absolutely terrible idea, up there in the ranks of "bad balancing decisions" with the D2 and AMX 38 nerfs, and when the T1 and M6 briefly had their gun depression cut almost in half.

superdan51 #8 Posted Mar 08 2016 - 03:55

Captain

• Players
  • 29850 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN

This buff didnt make any sense, just like the e5 buff. Lets give a med like heavy that can bounce 25/7, with a lot of resistance to most gold ammo in the same tier. Has pref mm, and albeit has a terrible gun, but all the cons to the hd remodel got balanced out by something.

lets also add the fact that you pretty removed all odds of hitting those weak spots, that were already [edited]hard as hell to hit. You guys have to be sick

im glad I quit, you guys arent doing the right things anymore, this is another one of your wow moments that makes me wonder why ive been here for 4 years

Cl0r0x_4_U #9 Posted Mar 08 2016 - 03:56

Major

• Players
  • 28559 battles
  • [IQVET] IQVET
Thanks for this

ChzBrgr1 #10 Posted Mar 08 2016 - 04:19

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 33741 battles
Such emotion. It's limited changes to a pixel tank.

SunTzu71 #11 Posted Mar 08 2016 - 05:06

Major

• Players
  • 51537 battles

View PostDON4LD_TRUMP, on Mar 07 2016 - 17:04, said:

Buff a tank that already bounces pubbies all day. Makes a lot of sense. So when are you gonna buff arty too? It needs more buffs!!!!

#MakeArtilleryGreatAgain

Strike_Witch_Tomoko #12 Posted Mar 08 2016 - 06:12

Major

• Players
  • 15574 battles

View PostGhostPrime, on Mar 07 2016 - 17:20, said:

Tront Armor Post 9.14 patch:

Spoiler

first off. i'll leave it to you to find out what you misspelled there

2nd. did IS-6  REALLY need this buff? low tiers already have enough trouble penning it.  all your doing is making people default to gold because aiming wont help at all.

long term this is gonna screw the tank over because people will spam gold so much that its armor will seem like its not there.

short term its gonna screw people who still TRY to aim.

when did the game switch from knowing weakspots and aiming.

to spamming gold because aiming wont help?

because thats a move to p2w.  devaluing skill in exchange for a wallet.

and there are tanks that need buffs more than the pump stomper pro tank.

like STA-2, or 59 patton,  how about some tier 7s? or tier 6s.  god knows what they are going to do against this now.  its basically an auto win unless the tier 6 and 7s brought gold.

and tier 8s, meds are gonna suffer unless they bring more gold.  tunnel maps + no weakspots(or less and harder to hit weakspots)

as a medium tank player, i can tell you how this looks to me, it looks like the competitor is more appealing for not forcing me to use gold.

are you balancing the game?  or catering to russians?

cause the performance this tank has right now

http://wot-news.com/.../tankinfo/en/us

is already basically above average

there is NO WAY this thing needs a buff.

there is NO statistical evidence.

i call BULL.

and demand you show ACTUAL EVIDENCE that this tank is performing badly enough to warrant a buff.  Alternatively you can show me the pen buff you plan to make to all tier 6, 7 tanks, and tier 8 meds.  to compensate for this .

you have ALOT of map fixing to do (removing tunnel maps and making it possible to flank without committing suicide)  before you can consider making these kinds of buffs.

all this kind of "removal of skill in exchange for catering to russian players and fat wallet players" will do is make people take the competitor seriously with their "no gold round" appeal.

Edited by Strike_Witch_Tomoko, Mar 08 2016 - 06:31.

Harkonen_siegetank #13 Posted Mar 08 2016 - 07:42

Major

• Players
  • 28025 battles
  • [_LOL_] _LOL_

View PostDON4LD_TRUMP, on Mar 07 2016 - 20:04, said:

You have to keep those "investors" happy, you're Trump you should know....right?

Anyways, buffing an already easy mode tank, gg wp. 

Armor Protection Part

- Armor protection of the lower section of the lower glacis plate has been decreased, due to its decreased effective armor thickness

Your screenshot clearly shows 191 before patch vs 199 after patch.

PoliticallyIncorrectName #14 Posted Mar 08 2016 - 10:01

Captain

• Players
  • 55840 battles
Please take away the only frontal weakspot and make it strongspot - that'll do it! Like if IS-6 wasn't pain to deal with - because russian bias doesn't exist, right? From 9.14 on I will have to load gold in my jg88 to casually pen IS-6. THX....

ChzBrgr1 #15 Posted Mar 08 2016 - 11:41

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 33741 battles
So many butthurt boys over something minor.

JasonLeeStrickland #16 Posted Mar 08 2016 - 12:28

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 17709 battles

TLDR-LOAD GOLD

stalkervision #17 Posted Mar 08 2016 - 12:37

Major

• Players
  • 66507 battles
If it is anything like the is6 on the test server I tried the buffs didn't work. :)

Trumpy_McTrumpface #18 Posted Mar 08 2016 - 12:40

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 1162 battles

View PostChzBrgr1, on Mar 08 2016 - 11:41, said:

So many butthurt boys over something minor.

Because you know wargaeming wuz drinkeng teh vodka at the tiem when they sed, "lets buff armor of is-6 comrades. i doesnt bounce enough shots."

RunninKurt #19 Posted Mar 08 2016 - 14:02

Captain

• Players
  • 19642 battles
  • [POSHY] POSHY
The tanks that get boned the worst are the T-34-3 and other tier 8s with poor pen. Forget low tiers, they should already be afraid of the IS-6. The other tier 8s that cannot pen it anywhere (besides the rear) with standard rounds are getting majorly shafted.

T_Bo #20 Posted Mar 08 2016 - 15:17

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 39547 battles
  • [REJEX] REJEX

Da Komrades let's buff our mighty Soviet steel even more so it can reliably bounce the capitalist pig gold rounds, Stalin will now be laughing at your puny penetration.  What a fricking joke man, WG'ing is so out of touch with what the players really want to see in this game, the IS-6 is already a pub stomper and now it's gonna be really nasty.  So much for real balance, leave the already decent tanks like the IS6 alone and tweak the other piece of crap tanks instead, develop some new maps, fix MM, etc..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users