Wargaming Player Gathering in Boston

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

Blaklyte #81 Posted Apr 26 2016 - 06:03

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 7612 battles

View Postchristodude, on Apr 23 2016 - 22:50, said:

Just got back from the gathering. My son and I had a great time! Thanks to wargaming for hosting a fun event. Special shout-out to a player I met in line and being a genuinely nice dude- Blaklyte. Hope everyone had as good a time as we did.

Thanks for the comment, I had a great time at the event and I really enjoyed talking to you and your son. Hope to see you two again next year. :)

Edited by Blaklyte, Apr 26 2016 - 06:03.

Sergeant_Lee #82 Posted Apr 26 2016 - 18:02

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 12685 battles
  • [PIR8] PIR8

View PostThe_Chieftain, on Apr 25 2016 - 21:48, said:

Well, the conventions we attend are usually in the same cities every year.

I mean, it's not as if we haven't had places like Mobile, Salt Lake City,, Charleston, Buffalo or Albuquerque in the past, but they also aren't places we commonly go to.

Mid-Atlantic region please! Tons of major cities within a 2-3 hour drive (DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York, etc.) Smack one in any of those and you'd have yourself a fun event. Heck, I'd make the 2-3 hour drive and slap a World of Tanks banner/streamer to fly behind my car to boot..

christodude #83 Posted Apr 26 2016 - 18:10

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 20157 battles

View PostSergeant_Lee, on Apr 26 2016 - 12:02, said:

Mid-Atlantic region please! Tons of major cities within a 2-3 hour drive (DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York, etc.) Smack one in any of those and you'd have yourself a fun event. Heck, I'd make the 2-3 hour drive and slap a World of Tanks banner/streamer to fly behind my car to boot..

I will second this. Feel free to have an event in Philly any time you like. I'd love to attend another event. At worst, could you make the gathering in Boston during PAX East a yearly event? It just makes so much sense!

Red_chrome #84 Posted Apr 28 2016 - 14:56

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3685 battles

View PostJagdneko, on Apr 23 2016 - 23:47, said:

Big thanks to the Powers That Be for the party. The crowd was huge and I'm glad I got there early. Lots of cool swag, free beers, and those cupcakes were awesome. Bumped into a clanmate and managed to get The Chieftain's help with my mission to spread the word about the Strv.103.

See y'all next year.

So you're the guy who asked about the Strv. 103. I wish someone would explain how it doesn't work with the current game engine - maybe because it depends on its suspension for T&E and they'd want to model that correctly? Also the DPM would be murderous since it has such a massive autoloading ammo capacity, and the upper hull is nearly an autobounce angle. The_Chieftain had some great remarks about it - how it can be effectively fought by one person, but the psychologists said it was better to have 3 people in there to keep the crew from going crazy over the course of a whole war.

I had a great time at the meetup and I'm looking forward to next year! I really enjoyed the few minutes I had speaking to The_Chieftain, who is absolutely a fantastic fellow; but also MeatheadMilitia and Triple_Crown - all of them really amazingly awesome people.

I didn't win anything in the raffle (I wouldn't know what to do with a PS4 or a 3D TV anyway since I don't play console games or watch TV), and I don't know where I'll wear the free hat; but the free booze was great, the cupcakes were delicious, and my roommate appreciated the Master of Orion pin I got him. Eminently worth the $30 parking cost me.

IMA_RANDOM_BAD_PLAYER_GG #85 Posted Apr 28 2016 - 14:57

Major

• Players
  • 39265 battles
They messed up Mobile alabama and haven't been back since, like 2 or 3 years ago

Agrias_Oaks #86 Posted Apr 28 2016 - 16:35

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2388 battles
if I show up, will I get a discount on equipment?

Sergeant_Lee #87 Posted Apr 28 2016 - 16:43

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 12685 battles
  • [PIR8] PIR8

View PostAgrias_Oaks, on Apr 28 2016 - 10:35, said:

if I show up, will I get a discount on equipment?

You'll get a free but rare premium tank, the LTP.

Ugh, sorry. I just ruined all our chances of having any event outside of Boston :(

Jagdneko #88 Posted Apr 28 2016 - 19:57

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 26965 battles
  • [NEET] NEET

View PostRed_chrome, on Apr 28 2016 - 08:56, said:

So you're the guy who asked about the Strv. 103. I wish someone would explain how it doesn't work with the current game engine - maybe because it depends on its suspension for T&E and they'd want to model that correctly? Also the DPM would be murderous since it has such a massive autoloading ammo capacity, and the upper hull is nearly an autobounce angle. The_Chieftain had some great remarks about it - how it can be effectively fought by one person, but the psychologists said it was better to have 3 people in there to keep the crew from going crazy over the course of a whole war.

I don't know the programming details, but I don't think the game engine allows hull movement to be finely controlled. Especially in elevation. If there was a special mode for that you'd also be dealing with a tank that had to be totally stationary to fire. As far as the autoloader, WG's never used historical figures for those in-game so it'd probably have five rounds and a long reload or something similar.

I grew up reading a book from the late '60s that was about the "new" main battles tanks. The S-tank chapter was the most interesting one.

Red_chrome #89 Posted Apr 28 2016 - 21:06

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3685 battles

Upon reading the wikipedia article:

https://en.wikipedia.../Stridsvagn_103

It sounds like the autoloader wouldn't actually be a problem. Just scale the ROF to appropriate levels and not have a loader crewman.

As for the suspension, just make the apparent 'hull' of the tank be an oscillating turret. This would also make upgrades to the hull (dozer blade/frontal armor, etc) possible because it's the 'turret' being replaced. The real 'hull' would be some small bit underneath.

I remember reading tank books at the library in pre-Internet days. I loved reading about the Ferdinand and Tiger II, and hopefully one day I'll be a skilled commander of them in this game.

christodude #90 Posted Feb 13 2017 - 16:29

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 20157 battles
Hate to necro-ninja this old topic, but I haven't heard any news of if Wargaming will be doing another gathering for PAX EAST 2017 this year. Had a really good time last year and I didn't land Saturday PAX tickets AGAIN this year so it'd be great to make plans for Saturday evening. It's less then 4 weeks away and haven't heard anything!

Bluedagger #91 Posted Feb 18 2017 - 17:27

Corporal

• Players
  • 34466 battles
  • [L-O-M] L-O-M

Oddly enough....  was also searching the Wargaming site and found nothing related to PAX-EAST 2017.

Was curious if there was going to be a WoT / WoW presence..... and perhaps any Master of Orion gaming events,

TheJerk11 #92 Posted Feb 20 2017 - 20:34

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 7080 battles
it is rigged

Gunadie #93 Posted Feb 21 2017 - 03:12

Major

• Players
  • 44165 battles

View Postriff_, on Mar 09 2016 - 17:13, said:

One of the most Cosmopolitan city's in North America too.

Some there would say its the center of the universe

Ewan_Wutarmee #94 Posted Feb 22 2017 - 12:07

Sergeant

• Players
  • 27593 battles
  • [_USMC] _USMC

I can imagine the conversations at these things between players (If in game chat is any indication)..

1. Sit the f**** OVER THERE, WHY are sitting in THAT chair.. Useless s***!

2. [Turning to another Attendee and repeatedly jabbing their finger at the seating chart].. I'm going [here],[here],[here],[here], [here]... 

3. Who invited Arthur?!?!?  F*** Arthur!!! (Arty reference)

4. D*mmm*t WG, Why do you hate me?  How can you seat me with all of these idiots??!?!  Seating Chart is RIGGED!

5. I paid extra for the premium platter, it's AWFUL!  This place is just trying to make money!

Red_chrome #95 Posted Feb 22 2017 - 17:43

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3685 battles

View PostEwan_Wutarmee, on Feb 22 2017 - 06:07, said:

I can imagine the conversations at these things between players (If in game chat is any indication)..

1. Sit the f**** OVER THERE, WHY are sitting in THAT chair.. Useless s***!

2. [Turning to another Attendee and repeatedly jabbing their finger at the seating chart].. I'm going [here],[here],[here],[here], [here]... 

3. Who invited Arthur?!?!?  F*** Arthur!!! (Arty reference)

4. D*mmm*t WG, Why do you hate me?  How can you seat me with all of these idiots??!?!  Seating Chart is RIGGED!

5. I paid extra for the premium platter, it's AWFUL!  This place is just trying to make money!

This may be the best summarization of idiotic game chat I've ever read.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users