Trying to understand Fundimentals of WoT

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

HuntMaster82 #1 Posted Jul 17 2011 - 08:31

Corporal

• Players
  • 1161 battles
Hello my fellow Tankers, I've just started playing WoT only 5 days ago and im trying to get a grasp of what the process of buying better tanks from the starting 3 tanks.

I've only being playing about 1-2 hr sessions of this game, do you need to put in hours of gameplay to get anywhere down the tech tree.

Also ive noticed the free coversion for gold and free XP Points. What does this mean and des it do?

I hope that you all can help

Thanks

Brona_Pretolus #2 Posted Jul 17 2011 - 08:50

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11239 battles
Each game you play, you'll earn some EXP and credits. The amount of each you get is roughly based on how much damage you do to the enemy. From the EXP, 5% extra is earned as Free EXP. Regular EXP is limited to the tank you earned it in, and is used to research upgrades, and the next tank in the tree (This is how you advance.) Free EXP can be used on ANY tank.

On the Free EXP conversion:
Once you unlock every upgrade for a tank, including the NEXT tank, it becomes 'Elite.' Elite tanks can still earn EXP, and you can spend gold (which is purchased with real money) to convert EXP on the elite tank to free EXP, at about 25 EXP per gold (I might be wrong about this ratio.)

Hope this answered your questions.

The_Toaster #3 Posted Jul 17 2011 - 08:52

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 25191 battles
  • [-ROC-] -ROC-
it takes a long time to go down the tech tree, longer if you dont have premium (trust me, i have never had prem and am only to tier 8) and i play between 4-8 hours daily on most days.

free xp conversion that you're referring to is for elite tanks...if you have everything on a particular tank researched, then it becomes elite...and any earned xp is pretty much locked on it from then on (providing you aren't accelerating the crew training). the conversion takes the locked xp off of elited vehicles and turns it into free xp to use on any tank...a worthwhile investment if you can afford it.

HuntMaster82 #4 Posted Jul 17 2011 - 09:05

Corporal

• Players
  • 1161 battles
So the more you play/The more you earn!!

I guess im just too eager to get my hands on such tanks as the M4 Sherman, Panther and IS-2s :P

BaronJaeger #5 Posted Jul 17 2011 - 09:55

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 2691 battles

View Postfighterace316, on Jul 17 2011 - 09:05, said:

So the more you play/The more you earn!!

I guess im just too eager to get my hands on such tanks as the M4 Sherman, Panther and IS-2s :P

Don't be.  IMO you're WAY better off taking your time, getting to know the game, and learning different strengths and weaknesses of the different classes. I'd recommend trying out one of each (Tank Destroyer, Artillery, and Tanks) early on since they are cheap and easy to upgrade at low levels.  Each level (tier) gets progressively longer, so it's a good idea to decide what style of play you like before you get too deep into something. The lower levels are tend to be more balanced as far as being able to give and take damage. Once you get to tier 4, you'll start running into a lot of stuff that can one hit you, and it'll stay that way until you get considerably higher. I really like playing the lower and mid tiers, but it's getting harder to find decent matches lately due to everyone wanting to play the top tiers.  I also recommend doing some extensive reading on the forum as to strategies, tips, etc. Whatever you decide, welcome and have fun!!

FluffytheDestroyer #6 Posted Jul 17 2011 - 21:15

Sergeant

• Players
  • 510 battles

View Postfighterace316, on Jul 17 2011 - 08:31, said:

Also ive noticed the free coversion for gold and free XP Points. What does this mean and des it do?

Others have mentioned it but that 'free' conversion isn't as free as you might be thinking. I've been playing since late June and I had the same thought. Couldn't for the life of me figure out how to do the conversion though. Turns out, through reading the forum, I came to realize that it actually costs gold to convert experience into free experience. How stupid. I really hate all the different currencies in WoT - really confusing to a newcomer especially since the little icons they use they don't seem to be particularly consistent with (also just changing the color of an icon to mean something different isn't such a good idea either).

Anyway, I digress. Welcome to the game. I love it even though I'm only up to Tier 3. I'm trying to take my time and have fun. I love playing with my elite T57 so I'm going up the SPG tiers but I kept a T2 Medium and am going to work up the tank line as well for fun.

Here's a tip - in a random battle, when you die, you don't have to hang around till the game ends. Keep at least one other tank in your garage and, when you die, you can use escape to exit the battle. Then, while the battle continues, you can go into your garage and play your second tank. This way you can really bump up the credits rolling in. Helped me big time in getting my camo net.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users