Purple Pedder Platoons. Statistics.

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

LesterQuaestor #1 Posted Mar 18 2016 - 21:29

Captain

• Players
  • 12944 battles

People on the forums sometimes complain about Unicorn Stet Pedder Platoons. Some people also suggest that purple stats are achieved by padding with platoon play. Does platoon play make for better stats? Does it effect both win rate and WN8?

The chief difficulty in answering these questions is getting the data. It is surprisingly difficult to find a selection of elite players who play enough games in both solo and platoon formats to form a significant sample.

The data I present below are for 10 players with WN8 over 2000. The data is taken from vbaddict and represents the last 90 days. Vbaddict collects both solo and platoon data, and this is the only available data as far as I know.

The first graph shows a comparison of solo versus platoon win rate. Each player is represented by one data point. The red line is the 1:1 line. If a player has exactly the same win rate in solo and platoon then they will fall on this line. As can be seen, almost all players in the sample have a higher win rate in platoon. This is as expected, since platoons which can coordinate and this should give them a significant advantage in random battles. Also, if we assume that good players usually or always platoon with equally good players, this will create imbalance in the MM. Notice, however, that there is a strong correlation between solo and platoon win rate. There is a benefit to platooning, but your win rate still reflects your individual skill.

The second chart shows a comparison of WN8 scores for solo and platoon play. Contrary to what you might have expected, good players usually have worse performance in platoon. To this extent, we can say that platooning does not allow padding of WN8. This is probably explained by the fact that if you have very good team mates they can reduce the total amount of damage that you can do in a random battle, as compared to many games where you will be the sole very good player.

The final graph is fairly complicated. This shows the same data as the previous graphs, but each player is now represented by two points and a line. This plots WN8 versus win rate and allows you to see how individual change. The red points are solo, and the blue are platoon. As above, the win rate goes up generally, and the WN8 goes down. In both solo and platoon there is a strong correlation of WN8 to win rate, as would be expected.

My conclusion from this is that purples are not able to stet ped by platooning. Yes, the win rate usually goes up, but this would be expected for any player of average skill or above. WN8 conclusively tends to decline in platoons, so if anyone is trying to pad WN8 by platooning with good players, it is most likely having the opposite effect.

TLDR: Purples aren't padding.

PuckChaser #2 Posted Mar 18 2016 - 21:32

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 26368 battles
Its not padding if you play with your friends who happen to be good at the game. That kind of logic is why people @$#@!#$ing hate the gross majority of the uneducated pubbies.

wh1skybarrel #3 Posted Mar 18 2016 - 21:32

Major

• Players
  • 21495 battles
  • [REL-V] REL-V
Everyone knows that good stats are luck, and impossible without "rigging"! 

your_Master #4 Posted Mar 18 2016 - 21:33

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 15525 battles

I disagree, I play most tanks so well that I am always padding :^)

nice graphs though. who were the players you took the statistics from?

LesterQuaestor #5 Posted Mar 18 2016 - 21:37

Captain

• Players
  • 12944 battles

Block Quote

who were the players you took the statistics from?

I didn't keep the identities. I remember checking your stats, but you don't upload to vbaddict anymore, I think.

That's the key difficulty: most of the top clan players don't use vbaddict. As far as I know, that is the only place to get solo/platoon data. (I checked all the Bulbas on vbaddict before giving up because most had no current stats.)

Hurk #6 Posted Mar 18 2016 - 21:40

Major

• Players
  • 59979 battles
  • [KGR] KGR

the issue isnt purples with purples. its players like me with a purple. they will likely lose some stats while i will gain. 

thus, i become an artificial blue, by being carried up to it.

now, that said, thats not common, in fact, its pretty rare. there simply arent enough purple players playing the game at all, nor many willing to platoon with players significantly worse than themselves.

Guilty_By_Association_xD #7 Posted Mar 18 2016 - 21:44

Captain

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 45026 battles
  • [RUSHB] RUSHB
speak for yourself

TSA_Boomer #8 Posted Mar 18 2016 - 21:46

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 37493 battles
  • [PHASE] PHASE
Good job on this.  Of the three post from you I have read this was by far the best in answering the question without any variables.  I compleatly agree in that when platooning my WN8 struggles a bit.  I also noticed that in a platoon of 2 there is little difference between solo and tooing.  It is when I get in a toon of 3 there is a drop.

Marco_Paulo #9 Posted Mar 18 2016 - 21:46

Captain

• Players
  • 34706 battles
  • [TOO2] TOO2
How dare we play with our friends, we should all play solo so that we can uphold the pureness of statistics.

Shifty__ #10 Posted Mar 18 2016 - 21:50

Major

• Players
  • 31294 battles
10/10 :) 

Asassian7 #11 Posted Mar 18 2016 - 21:50

Major

• Players
  • 25989 battles
  • [F0XEY] F0XEY
Or, think about this: when purples try to 3 mark their tanks, they plsy solo and not platooned because theres more DPG to go around.

GeorgePreddy #12 Posted Mar 18 2016 - 22:00

Major

• Players
  • 14680 battles

I could have told you this, in my case at least. I only platooned 5 certain tanks for 100 battles each... then I did 100 battles in each tank solo.

My results were decidedly the same as your charts show.

My WN8 was definitely better when solo and my win rate was better when platooned with others of my approx. stats.

So... I can pad winrate by platooning with good players, but WN8 will suffer... "What's a Mother to do ?".

SeanPwnery #13 Posted Mar 18 2016 - 22:02

Major

• Veteran Testers
  • 27338 battles
  • [RELSH] RELSH

View PostLesterQuaestor, on Mar 18 2016 - 14:29, said:

In both solo and platoon there is a strong correlation of WN8 to win rate, as would be expected.

Yes, the win rate usually goes up, but this would be expected for any player of average skill or above. WN8 conclusively tends to decline in platoons, so if anyone is trying to pad WN8 by platooning with good players, it is most likely having the opposite effect.

TLDR: Purples aren't padding.

You nailed it with the above line - because "Correlation is not Causation"

OstwindFlakpanzer #14 Posted Mar 18 2016 - 22:37

Major

• Players
  • 20921 battles
  • [CUDAS] CUDAS
purples are all frauds who game the system.  nuff said.  

spud_tuber #15 Posted Mar 18 2016 - 22:40

Major

• Players
  • 68484 battles
Interesting result, especially considering these players generally aren't racking up HCs every battle, there should be a decent amount of damage to go around, especially if they don't all try to work the same strong position at once. *shrug* A few questions:

1) how many games are we talking here? Days are almost meaningless because a player can play 8 battles or 800 or anything else really in that time frame.

2)  Did you also track 2 vs 3 platoon?( not sure the data is available)

3) have you considered expanding your test to see at what WN8/wr combo that wn8 stops falling in platoons?  

I'm going to assume you're honest and didn't cherry pick players to get the results you wanted.

Numerius_Titurius_Sophus #16 Posted Mar 18 2016 - 22:46

Captain

• Players
  • 16175 battles

I like your analyses and it seems to confirm what I have noticed in this and other games...

The best equivalent of WN8 comes when the match is more even but slightly favoring your side (say 51%-55%)...followed by more even but slightly against your side (say 45%-49%)...followed by very against your side...followed by very for your side. 

This could mean that 2 purples platooning together might do very well WN8-wise but it would be inadvisable for 3 purples to platoon together unless they just want to win and to hell with the WN8.

Edited by Chronic_Halitosis, Mar 18 2016 - 22:47.

thandiflight #17 Posted Mar 18 2016 - 22:48

Major

• Players
  • 104660 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

The best tanks - as a general rule - for padding stats are those with low expected damage per game. Unfortunately these can also be amongst the worst "carry tanks" in the game. Those who consistently achieve both high damage and high win rate in a low expected damage tank are the true unicums - and they are a lot less common than some may think. For most it is simply gaming what the OP has shown and what many already knew.

It is much harder to achieve consistent high damage and/or high win rate over an extended series of games so many will play in spurts thus maintaining the stats.

RedwoodOriginal #18 Posted Mar 18 2016 - 22:51

Captain

• Players
  • 23093 battles
  • [SKYNT] SKYNT
The question is:  Can you pad if you are bad? 

yasine007 #19 Posted Mar 18 2016 - 23:01

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 83110 battles
i'm playing alone all time, playing tier 10  tier 8 prem , all tank can  padding wn8 , it's just dmg is problem :trollface: also  no  padding wn8 without dmg and if you can't do dmg  in pubs you must be shitter and that's is ur problem :teethhappy:

Edited by yasine007, Mar 18 2016 - 23:03.

Sepplainr #20 Posted Mar 18 2016 - 23:10

Captain

• Players
  • 19146 battles

The conclusion is incorrect because your asking the wrong question but the data looks very good. Nobody platoons to pad WN8 and thats not the claim made by the stat denier unless you look at very selective statements, most likely made when said denier is in a heightened state of forum rage induced by logic and maths.

The purple platoon is padding win rate to cover the damage farming (chi sniping) that was done solo to pad the WN8, they then get together in the super secret TS (purple only) and decided to, flame arty every match and call everyone shitters/bads/serfs. They form a platoon and "settle" for 2200 WN8 over the course of 15 games in which they win 12-13 games because they can hack their way to victory using map awareness, not auto aiming along with things like properly equip'd tanks and useful skill-sets on crews.

So in short cool math and charts but its pretty nerdy and thats only cool on TV and select parts of the intranets.

Edited by Sepplainr, Mar 18 2016 - 23:10.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users