Why buy a premium tank.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

DamianOgre #1 Posted Jul 17 2011 - 14:14

Corporal

• Players
  • 12435 battles
So, I bought some gold and went premium account. I then spent some gold on a valentine tank. Very disappointing. Very slow. Can't penatrate anything. Can't upgrade equipment. Plus it seems to have put me up against much better tanks. I've only played this game for 4 days now. At this moment of my writing, it seems like tanks are not the end all be all. It seems like artillary is the must have. Love the game otherwise. So far playing my B-26 seems like the most fun.

ttme #2 Posted Jul 17 2011 - 14:33

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 6387 battles
premium tank are not as good an elite "credit" tanks of the same tier, this just makes grinding ur way, and finally getting ur dream tank that much sweeter.

BUT, premium tanks are not useless, u should noticed by now that u get ALOT MORE credits from ur premium tanks. This may not seem much to u for now, but trust me, grinding the exp will only be the second thing u have to worry about... credits are the real problem later on in the game.

edit: the only exception is PzKpfw 38H735 (f)...

Imaginary_Star #3 Posted Jul 17 2011 - 14:37

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8282 battles
This game may look simple enough, but don't let the appearances fool you - it is not a game you'll learn in 4 days. Furthermore, skipping lower tiers and jumping ahead is a terrible idea for a new player.
The higher tier you are, the more competence and knowledge your team will expect from you to deliver, if you cannot, you shall frustrate yourself and others(which is a big issue in high tier games with multitudes of, often incompetent, "Lowe" players). Premium tanks are not "best" and do not give you an easy advantage, especially over players who know the game well(meaning put in time and learned the game from bottom up). All tanks have weaknesses, all tanks have advantages - best way to figure those out is by driving them, and fighting against them.

Best advice I can give you is not to look for an easy way ahead and start from basic tanks and work your way up. It's slow, yes. But during this time you will begin to really figure out the game's mechanics and features of every machine therein.

RolePlay #4 Posted Jul 17 2011 - 14:39

Corporal

• Players
  • 11597 battles
premium tanks are ok but if u are going to spend the money then spend it on a lowe  it's a much better return xp wise for you and as for artillery, it is far to powerful a force in the game, they threw the rules of engagement right out the window with arty unfortunately and it ruins the game of 'tanks'...arty normally would not be able to fire accuately without a 'spotter' giving grid coordinates and even then getting a 'direct' hit would be very difficult for them, not like it is here and now...but hopefully they'll be revamping this in a patch, otherwise it's a great game to play as u've alluded to..:Smile_great:

Watch #5 Posted Jul 17 2011 - 14:43

Corporal

• Players
  • 1898 battles
If you wanted to have a monster of a premium tank  the tier 2 tank that is affectionately known as the "Hotchkiss" or the PzKpfw 38H735 (f) this tier 2 premium tank destroys tier 1-2 battles and can out preform most tier3 tanks.

DamianOgre #6 Posted Jul 17 2011 - 16:56

Corporal

• Players
  • 12435 battles

View PostWatch, on Jul 17 2011 - 14:43, said:

If you wanted to have a monster of a premium tank  the tier 2 tank that is affectionately known as the "Hotchkiss" or the PzKpfw 38H735 (f) this tier 2 premium tank destroys tier 1-2 battles and can out preform most tier3 tanks.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. All my gold is blown now. I'll wait until next payday to blow some more. :) Hotchkiss will be on my list.

davedaaznlu #7 Posted Jul 17 2011 - 17:01

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5030 battles
i like t2 light more than hotchkiss.

Watch #8 Posted Jul 17 2011 - 17:07

Corporal

• Players
  • 1898 battles
The hotchkiss is slow but have you gotten a steelwall with your T2 light?

CrashTailspin #9 Posted Jul 17 2011 - 17:10

Corporal

• Players
  • 15272 battles

View Postttme, on Jul 17 2011 - 14:33, said:

premium tank are not as good an elite "credit" tanks of the same tier, this just makes grinding ur way, and finally getting ur dream tank that much sweeter.

You obviously haven't played a Lowe yet.  The Lowe, while incredibly slow, has a hyper-accurate 122mm(?) cannon, which is capable of tearing American heavies apart, and has decent armor for a Tier 8 heavy.  Now, it is NOT a dogfighter (i.e. close-in head-to-head combat), but used effectively (at long distances) it is devastating.  In a good match it is not uncommon for a player to pull about 60k credits PROFIT and about 1,300xp.

That being said, not all premium tanks are worth it.  Churchills, Valentines, Matildas...in my opinion, they all suck.  My PzIII/IV can run circles around pretty much all of those tanks, and definitely take any one of them on one-on-one.  The only exception is the Hotchkiss.  Although I don't have one, I've heard stories of those just cleaning up.

This game may look simple enough, but don't let the appearances fool you - it is not a game you'll learn in 4 days. Furthermore, skipping lower tiers and jumping ahead is a terrible idea for a new player.
The higher tier you are, the more competence and knowledge your team will expect from you to deliver, if you cannot, you shall frustrate yourself and others(which is a big issue in high tier games with multitudes of, often incompetent, "Lowe" players). Premium tanks are not "best" and do not give you an easy advantage, especially over players who know the game well(meaning put in time and learned the game from bottom up). All tanks have weaknesses, all tanks have advantages - best way to figure those out is by driving them, and fighting against them.

Best advice I can give you is not to look for an easy way ahead and start from basic tanks and work your way up. It's slow, yes. But during this time you will begin to really figure out the game's mechanics and features of every machine therein.

How very true.  If you started playing just 4 days ago, I would recommend NOT skipping up to higher tier tanks at first.  Learn the mechanics of the gameplay, learn the maps, learn the best strategies for winning, and then start moving up.

davedaaznlu #10 Posted Jul 17 2011 - 18:39

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5030 battles

View PostWatch, on Jul 17 2011 - 17:07, said:

The hotchkiss is slow but have you gotten a steelwall with your T2 light?

i usually go out, spot like 10 tanks, strafe a bit, go back to base, then go back out again and fight and die. t2 light is soooo fun. my hotchkiss isnt tho, i only play tier 2 tanks for zipping around :P what a relief after a jagdtier prokhorovka camping session.

ttme #11 Posted Jul 17 2011 - 23:47

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 6387 battles

View PostCrashTailspin, on Jul 17 2011 - 17:10, said:

You obviously haven't played a Lowe yet.  The Lowe, while incredibly slow, has a hyper-accurate 122mm(?) cannon, which is capable of tearing American heavies apart, and has decent armor for a Tier 8 heavy.  Now, it is NOT a dogfighter (i.e. close-in head-to-head combat), but used effectively (at long distances) it is devastating.  In a good match it is not uncommon for a player to pull about 60k credits PROFIT and about 1,300xp.

I do have a Lowe, it does have a gun with good pen, but it's slow ROF is what kills it. It's also too slow to run away from any fights... I can kill it with my T32 pretty much every time I get a chance to 1v1 a Lowe, I can't vouch for other T8 tanks, but I'm sure many ppl will agree fully upgraded KT and IS-3 are superior as well.

GearaDoga #12 Posted Jul 18 2011 - 00:26

Major

• Players
  • 8517 battles
  • [WIH] WIH
The Matilda is actually a pretty good little tank.  

Plenty of hitpoints for the tier, heavy armor on a small vehicle (I've bounced PzIV L/70 shots on rear armor!), good turret traverse, accurate gun with pretty good performance.  Its major drawbacks are low ammo storage due to its small size, and absolute top speed of 24kph.  It reaches and holds that speed pretty well going cross-country though, so it feels decently quick even though it really isn't.

FlyChiGuy #13 Posted Jul 18 2011 - 00:36

Corporal

• Players
  • 2504 battles

View PostImaginary_Star, on Jul 17 2011 - 14:37, said:

x2. I couldn't have said it better myself http://forum.worldof...e_honoring.gif.

MarshallDillon #14 Posted Jul 18 2011 - 20:38

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 5712 battles
You may find SPG's frustrating.  Slow to load (say 15-30 seconds), slow for the aim to settle down, and some lines have low accuracy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users