• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

FrozenKemp #1 Posted Mar 22 2016 - 13:20

Major

• Players
  • 53849 battles
  • [8ARMY] 8ARMY

Hey all,

Someone asked me to specifically go over how to create a music mod for WoT, so I thought I'd try to share what I've learned.

Programs you're going to need

WWise

Audacity

I'm going to assume you can google these to find and download them. :)

Prepping your music files

Let's assume you have some MP3s on your computer (whatever your favorite music is) and you want to include those in WoT.  You're going to need to convert these to WAV files before bringing them into your WWise project.  

Run Audacity and drag the first MP3 into Audacity.  It'll load up the file.  Then choose File->Export.  In the popup, change Save As type to WAV and save the file.  I'm going to suggest you make a folder that you put all the WAV files in.  And make a backup!

To import another file, in Audacity go File->New, then drag the next file into that window and you can close the old one. 

Let's talk about music events.

Basic Music Events

WoT has a set of music events.  These are key points in the game when music starts to play.

music_main_menu 

This starts to play music when the game asks you to log in at the start

hangar_v2_music_lobby

hangar_prem_v2_music_lobby

These start to play music when you enter the lobby.  (regular/premium lobbies) 

music_defeat

music_drawn_game

music_victory

These start to play music when you return to the lobby at the end of a battle.  These tracks can possibly overlap with the hangar music.  So far as I can tell, these start when the game shows the results, and the hangar music will start to play when you close down the results tab.

So what I did was insert 15s of silence at the start of my lobby music, and I kept the music tracks for defeat/drawn game/victory to be only 15s long, so there's no way they can overlap even if they start playing at the same time.  

You can insert silence in Audacity by picking the Generate menu, then Silence, then how long.  It will insert that much silence wherever your cursor is in the music.  At the start, the cursor is at the start of the music. 

To cut a track short, click where you want the music to end and drag to the end of the track. Then hit backspace.  You can add a fadeout by highlighting the end section of the music, and then pick Effect->Fade Out. 

Getting started with Wwise

Okay, so you've downloaded wwise and are wondering "what do I do with this now?"  I would suggest you start with trying to create a package with just 1 track in it, in order to make sure that you have the process down pat.  Once you know the process, you can add any number of additional tracks!

The easiest track to test is the music that plays at the login screen.  If the music doesn't play, you know you've done something wrong, so you can quit WOT and try again.

Be sure to run WWise itself - for me the link name is "WWise v2015.1.6".  I think you will see a window called Project Launcher.  There's a New button you want to press. If not, there's a Project menu in the upper left, and you can select New Project from there.   Pick a folder and name for your project.  You'll probably see a message about a license not being found, but that's fine, we're using the free version.

On the left side you'll see the Project Explorer.  Right-click on Actor-Mixer Hierarchy: Default Work Unit and pick New Child - Actor-Mixer.  Name it voice_music or whatever you want - I don't think the name matters. Left-click on voice_music and its properties will appear on the right.  Click on the RTPC tab, then the >> button.  Select "Voice Volume".  Now another >> button will be available to the right.  Click on it and select and then for X Axis select Game Parameters - New and type in "RTPC_ext_menu_volume_music" for the name of the parameter.

Now, right click on voice_music and pick New Child - Random Container.  We're creating music for the title page whose event is "music_main_menu", so call it that. 

Right click on music_main_menu and pick New Event - Play.  This will automatically create an event called "Play_music_main_menu" but since the actual WOT event doesn't start with "Play_" you need to remove that.  The properties of the event should be showing on the right so you can just change the text and hit return.

Now we want to add our music track.  Right click on music_main_menu and pick Import Audio Files.  Go Add Files, select your file, and Import.  

I saw it recommended that we now make sure to set the quality level of the audio, so let's do that.  LEFT click on music_main_menu.  On the right you see all the properties of it, and there are a bunch of tabs.  Pick Source Settings, and you should see a ">>" button.  Hit that, then go Factory Conversion Settings - Vorbis - Vorbis Quality High.

Now we're ready to try generating a sound bank.  There's a Layouts menu at the top - hit it and pick Sound Bank.  A Sound Bank Manager UI will appear.  Click New, and name your sound bank ExternalMusicSources.  This is CRITICAL if you want to replace the music.  Make sure your Default Work Unit is checked, that Windows is checked in Platforms, and English is checked for language.  The Generate button at the top should be enabled.

Expand Default Work Unit in SoundBanks and left click on ExternalMusicSources.  That should give you a SoundBank Editor view below.  Now left click on music_main_menu and drag it into the SoundBank Editor.  

Now go back to the Project Explorer on the left.  Left click on Default Work Unit and drag it into SoundBank Editor.  It should then appear in the listing, and if you look at the Edit tab, you should see a couple of things in Actor-Mixer Hierarchy, one in Events, and finally your WAV file for the music.

Hit Generate.  UI should appear, it'll convert your WAV file to Ogg Vorbis, and done creating your sound bank. 

Generating a package

Now we have made a sound bank, and you can find it if you go to your project folder and look inside GeneratedSoundBanks - Windows - English.  But we're not quite done yet because we need to put ExternalMusicSources.bnk inside a pkg file. If we don't, WOT won't really play the music quite right.  My experience just using a bnk file is that it has a hard limit on how big the bnk file can be, so you'd be extremely limited in how much music you can include.

Fortunately this last step is easy.  In your Start Menu/whatever, you should have a WWise *folder*.  Inside that, there's a Tools folder, and inside there is Files Packager. Run it.

The top line reads "SoundBanks Info file".  That's a file which is generated at the same time as your sound bank.  So click "..." and navigate to the same folder as your sound bank.  It should show a couple of files, one named SoundBanksInfo, and you want to select that.

The "Files to package" section should now list "Init" and "ExternalMusicSources" which is good, and "Packages" should say "Default.pck" which is not. Left click on Default.pck and rename it to ExternalMusicSources.pck.  Now go Generate - All Packages.

In your folder there should now be an ExternalMusicSources.pck file.  That's your package file!  You will want to put that in the res_mods hierarchy in the current version folder, inside another folder you now create called "audioww".  

With that in place, run the game and if you've done everything right, you will hear your music play at the screen where you log in!

Battle music events

There are a whole lot of battle music events which trigger at the start of different groups of maps.  Unfortunately I don't have the information about which maps are in which groups.  These music events trigger as soon as the level is loaded and run through the countdown.  I think that the official music then fades out when the countdown finishes but I have not experienced that with my own music, so I may still be doing something wrong. 

music_america

music_desert

music_euro_city

music_euro_vilage - yes, vilage, with one 'l'

music_himmelsdorf

music_kavkaz

music_kharkov

music_malinovka

music_rus_city

music_rus_vilage

music_stalingrad

Then there is also music_combat, which triggers at the end of the countdown and the battle begins, for ANY map.  

Without putting in some kind of delay, it's quite possible that the music you play for the start of a map, and the music that plays for music_combat, will overlap.  One way to solve this problem is the brute force approach.  I actually inserted several minutes of silence into the beginning of the music tracks I use for combat.  However this will increase the size of your mod.  If I click on music_combat in the Event Viewer and view it in the Event Editor, there are some other values which might be helpful. Specifically, there's a Delay value, and there's also a Fade In Time you might want to play with. 

Randomly selecting music

If you want to randomly select between several tracks for the same event, first import the tracks, all attached to the same container.  If you click on the container, you should see to the right a property called Play Type which you will want to set to Random and then either Random (tracks could repeat) or Shuffle (tracks won't repeat until they've all been played once - I think). 

PR_calvin #2 Posted Mar 22 2016 - 13:28

Captain

• Players
  • 19150 battles

Following this topic to remember how to do this..

I always hated the lobby music, but loved the main music :

Maybe I will switch them :)

mattwong #3 Posted Mar 22 2016 - 22:44

Major

• Players
  • 30470 battles
Good work!  Looking forward to more information, like "how do you create or extract the PCK file".

FrozenKemp #4 Posted Mar 23 2016 - 00:42

Major

• Players
  • 53849 battles
  • [8ARMY] 8ARMY

View Postmattwong, on Mar 22 2016 - 16:44, said:

Good work!  Looking forward to more information, like "how do you create or extract the PCK file".

Thanks!   I can provide the first one.  One out of two ain't bad...? :D

mattwong #5 Posted Mar 23 2016 - 00:57

Major

• Players
  • 30470 battles

Did you just guess at the event names, or did you get them from somewhere?  Are there other event names?

FrozenKemp #6 Posted Mar 23 2016 - 01:06

Major

• Players
  • 53849 battles
  • [8ARMY] 8ARMY

Getting started with Wwise

Okay, so you've downloaded wwise and are wondering "what do I do with this now?"  I would suggest you start with trying to create a package with just 1 track in it, in order to make sure that you have the process down pat.  Once you know the process, you can add any number of additional tracks!

The easiest track to test is the music that plays at the login screen.  If the music doesn't play, you know you've done something wrong, so you can quit WOT and try again.

Be sure to run WWise itself - for me the link name is "WWise v2015.1.6".  I think you will see a window called Project Launcher.  There's a New button you want to press. If not, there's a Project menu in the upper left, and you can select New Project from there.   Pick a folder and name for your project.  You'll probably see a message about a license not being found, but that's fine, we're using the free version.

On the left side you'll see the Project Explorer.  Right-click on Actor-Mixer Hierarchy: Default Work Unit and pick New Child - Random Container.  We're creating music for the title page whose event is "music_main_menu", so call it that. 

Right click on music_main_menu and pick New Event - Play.  This will automatically create an event called "Play_music_main_menu" but since the actual WOT event doesn't start with "Play_" you need to remove that.  The properties of the event should be showing on the right so you can just change the text and hit return.

Now we want to add our music track.  Right click on music_main_menu and pick Import Audio Files.  Go Add Files, select your file, and Import.  

I saw it recommended that we now make sure to set the quality level of the audio, so let's do that.  LEFT click on music_main_menu.  On the right you see all the properties of it, and there are a bunch of tabs.  Pick Source Settings, and you should see a ">>" button.  Hit that, then go Factory Conversion Settings - Vorbis - Vorbis Quality High.

Now we're ready to try generating a sound bank.  There's a Layouts menu at the top - hit it and pick Sound Bank.  A Sound Bank Manager UI will appear.  Click New, and name your sound bank ExternalMusicSources.  This is CRITICAL if you want to replace the music.  Make sure your Default Work Unit is checked, that Windows is checked in Platforms, and English is checked for language.  The Generate button at the top should be enabled.

Expand Default Work Unit in SoundBanks and left click on ExternalMusicSources.  That should give you a SoundBank Editor view below.  Now left click on music_main_menu and drag it into the SoundBank Editor.  

Now go back to the Project Explorer on the left.  Left click on Default Work Unit and drag it into SoundBank Editor.  It should then appear in the listing, and if you look at the Edit tab, you should see a couple of things in Actor-Mixer Hierarchy, one in Events, and finally your WAV file for the music.

Hit Generate.  UI should appear, it'll convert your WAV file to Ogg Vorbis, and done creating your sound bank. 

FrozenKemp #7 Posted Mar 23 2016 - 01:07

Major

• Players
  • 53849 battles
  • [8ARMY] 8ARMY

View Postmattwong, on Mar 22 2016 - 18:57, said:

Did you just guess at the event names, or did you get them from somewhere?  Are there other event names?

I didn't guess, no.  I got information from the European thread about making voice mods.  I'll include them in a post below. 

FrozenKemp #8 Posted Mar 23 2016 - 01:16

Major

• Players
  • 53849 battles
  • [8ARMY] 8ARMY

Generating a package

Now we have made a sound bank, and you can find it if you go to your project folder and look inside GeneratedSoundBanks - Windows - English.  But we're not quite done yet because we need to put ExternalMusicSources.bnk inside a pkg file. If we don't, WOT won't really play the music quite right.  My experience just using a bnk file is that it has a hard limit on how big the bnk file can be, so you'd be extremely limited in how much music you can include.

Fortunately this last step is easy.  In your Start Menu/whatever, you should have a WWise *folder*.  Inside that, there's a Tools folder, and inside there is Files Packager. Run it.

The top line reads "SoundBanks Info file".  That's a file which is generated at the same time as your sound bank.  So click "..." and navigate to the same folder as your sound bank.  It should show a couple of files, one named SoundBanksInfo, and you want to select that.

The "Files to package" section should now list "Init" and "ExternalMusicSources" which is good, and "Packages" should say "Default.pck" which is not. Left click on Default.pck and rename it to ExternalMusicSources.pck.  Now go Generate - All Packages.

In your folder there should now be an ExternalMusicSources.pck file.  That's your package file!  You will want to put that in the res_mods hierarchy in the current version folder, inside another folder you now create called "audioww".  

With that in place, run the game and if you've done everything right, you will hear your music play at the screen where you log in!

Edited by FrozenKemp, Mar 23 2016 - 01:17.

MajorRenegade #9 Posted Mar 23 2016 - 01:47

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 30395 battles
try updating your main post with the guide you just posted. So this way, it will be the first thing people will read when they open your thread, just saying lol

FrozenKemp #10 Posted Mar 23 2016 - 02:02

Major

• Players
  • 53849 battles
  • [8ARMY] 8ARMY

Battle music events

There are a whole lot of battle music events which trigger at the start of different groups of maps.  Unfortunately I don't have the information about which maps are in which groups.  These music events trigger as soon as the level is loaded and run through the countdown.  I think that the official music then fades out when the countdown finishes but I have not experienced that with my own music, so I may still be doing something wrong. 

music_america

music_desert

music_euro_city

music_euro_vilage (yes, vilage, with one 'l;)

music_himmelsdorf

music_kavkaz

music_kharkov

music_malinovka

music_rus_city

music_rus_vilage

music_stalingrad

Then there is also music_combat, which triggers at the end of the countdown and the battle begins, for ANY map.  

Without putting in some kind of delay, it's quite possible that the music you play for the start of a map, and the music that plays for music_combat, will overlap.  One way to solve this problem is the brute force approach.  I actually inserted several minutes of silence into the beginning of the music tracks I use for combat.  However this will increase the size of your mod.  If I click on music_combat in the Event Viewer and view it in the Event Editor, there are some other values which might be helpful. Specifically, there's a Delay value, and there's also a Fade In Time you might want to play with. 

Randomly selecting music

If you want to randomly select between several tracks for the same event, first import the tracks, all attached to the same container.  If you click on the container, you should see to the right a property called Play Type which you will want to set to Random and then either Random (tracks could repeat) or Shuffle (tracks won't repeat until they've all been played once - I think). 

Edited by FrozenKemp, Mar 23 2016 - 02:04.

FrozenKemp #11 Posted Mar 23 2016 - 02:05

Major

• Players
  • 53849 battles
  • [8ARMY] 8ARMY

View PostMajorRenegade, on Mar 22 2016 - 19:47, said:

try updating your main post with the guide you just posted. So this way, it will be the first thing people will read when they open your thread, just saying lol

Yeah, good call Major.  Thanks! 

NoxCaos #12 Posted Mar 23 2016 - 16:14

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 934 battles

Well... Hangar and combat don't work for me. I tried to make it looping or single or whatever but it doesn't work. Everything ok with login music and battle intro

Are you sure about event names?

FrozenKemp #13 Posted Mar 23 2016 - 16:41

Major

• Players
  • 53849 battles
  • [8ARMY] 8ARMY

Well, I don't have a premium account right now, so I have not actually tested premium lobby music.

This is my source for the event names:

http://forum.worldof..._st__60#topmost

Post 82

Try searching for music or lobby in the file. 

NoxCaos #14 Posted Mar 23 2016 - 18:40

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 934 battles

View PostFrozenKemp, on Mar 23 2016 - 17:41, said:

Well, I don't have a premium account right now, so I have not actually tested premium lobby music.

This is my source for the event names:

http://forum.worldof..._st__60#topmost

Post 82

Try searching for music or lobby in the file. 

Seems like I'm doing everything in a right way. But still some strange things happen...

Loading screen and login menu music are fine, always work. Victory music also fine, but defeat doesn't play. Still no any music in hangar and if I place it on "hangar_prem_v2_background" (for now I have premium) it turns off the BG sounds at all and you hear silence in hangar. 

But the most mysterious thing is combat music. Usually it doesn't play but sometimes (absolutely random battle) it starts playing and sounds ok... Except one thing... I can't hear the shoot sounds :D
Anyway, thanks for tutorial and source. I think I'll try more to make this thing work

FrozenKemp #15 Posted Mar 23 2016 - 21:31

Major

• Players
  • 53849 battles
  • [8ARMY] 8ARMY
I think I have experienced the loss of gun noise as well.  But that might have been before I put in a volume control (which I have not detailed here yet)... if lack of ability to control the music volume causes some error, for instance. 

NoxCaos #16 Posted Mar 23 2016 - 21:58

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 934 battles

View PostFrozenKemp, on Mar 23 2016 - 22:31, said:

I think I have experienced the loss of gun noise as well.  But that might have been before I put in a volume control (which I have not detailed here yet)... if lack of ability to control the music volume causes some error, for instance. 

Will be nice if you explain how to do this :)

FrozenKemp #17 Posted Mar 24 2016 - 01:10

Major

• Players
  • 53849 battles
  • [8ARMY] 8ARMY

View PostNoxCaos, on Mar 23 2016 - 15:58, said:

Will be nice if you explain how to do this :)

Yup.  I just updated the guide up top. Here's the short version:

1) Under "Actor-Mixed Hierarchy/Default Working Unit" create "Actor-Mixer", name it "voice_music" (or whatever)

2) Move all existing random containers to this new "voice_music" - and if you create new ones, create them under it

3) Left click "voice_music"

4) Open RTPC tab, then >> at the bottom to add new function

5) Select "Voice Volume".  Click the next >> button and select Game Parameters/New... and type RTPC_ext_menu_volume_music

FrozenKemp #18 Posted Mar 24 2016 - 01:18

Major

• Players
  • 53849 battles
  • [8ARMY] 8ARMY

The full list of variables for volume sliders is:

RTPC_ext_menu_volume_master

RTPC_ext_menu_volume_voice_gui

RTPC_ext_menu_volume_music

RTPC_ext_menu_volume_vehicles

RTPC_ext_menu_volume_effects

RTPC_ext_menu_volume_ambient

TentacLe_Mech_Tank #19 Posted Mar 24 2016 - 05:09

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 0 battles

Right now I encounter some problems for my music mod.

Limits: Maximum only 2 intro musics for each type of map, only 8 combat musics
Issues:

1. Still no gara music

2. Result music will not stop till it's end, haven't tested defeat and drawn music yet

3. Tutorial music is a bit mess up (but you would rarely come there unless for mod testing, I guess)

4. No gun sound during battle.

Try to fix them asap.

Edited by TentacLe_Mech_Tank, Mar 24 2016 - 05:29.

NoxCaos #20 Posted Mar 24 2016 - 07:55

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 934 battles

View PostFrozenKemp, on Mar 24 2016 - 02:10, said:

Yup.  I just updated the guide up top. Here's the short version:

1) Under "Actor-Mixed Hierarchy/Default Working Unit" create "Actor-Mixer", name it "voice_music" (or whatever)

2) Move all existing random containers to this new "voice_music" - and if you create new ones, create them under it

3) Left click "voice_music"

4) Open RTPC tab, then >> at the bottom to add new function

5) Select "Voice Volume".  Click the next >> button and select Game Parameters/New... and type RTPC_ext_menu_volume_music

Thanks a lot! This one makes music in hangar work and also no more shoot sound bug

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users