Why do veteran players leave WoT?

• Please log in to reply
940 replies to this topic

782GearUSMC #1 Posted Mar 22 2016 - 20:44

Major

• Players
  • 27861 battles

Other than just boredom or reasons unrelated to the game, what do you believe or know are the primary reasons veteran players will or have jumped ship?

To date, I have lost 7 buds, of which 6 of them had been playing for a very long time and had many battles, and on a monthly basis dumped real coin into the game. Their main reason given for leaving is that they could no longer tolerate having spent a significant amount of real coin, and hours learning and becoming decent players, only to be dumped into teams of which were comprised mostly of scrubs and only 2 or 3 good players.

What sayeth you?

LeaveIT2Beaver #2 Posted Mar 22 2016 - 20:48

Major

• -Players-
  • 36773 battles
  • [J4F] J4F
  • Connectivity issues blamed on the player's ISP?
  • Rental tank teams flooding the servers with players in high tiers that should be a half of what they are playing?
  • Lack of control of the player base (automated systems that fail)?
  • The list could be long and distinguished  (insert line from "TOP GUN" bar scene)

Edited by LeaveIT2Beaver, Mar 22 2016 - 20:50.

stalkervision #3 Posted Mar 22 2016 - 20:49

Major

• Players
  • 66640 battles
Boredom is pretty much it.. :)

PR_calvin #4 Posted Mar 22 2016 - 20:49

Captain

• Players
  • 19107 battles
  • [TEACH] TEACH

Well, every few months, I get burned out on WoT and take a break - it can vary from a week, to several months. 

For example - early November 2015, I took a break that lasted until Mid January - And I was kind of mad because I wanted to get in on the Xmas specials but I just couldn't play the game without raging and playing poorly.

I think the biggest issue is that people get burned out, but keep trying to play and therefore completely kill their interest in the game. IMO, the best thing you can do is to leave the game alone for a few weeks, don't even try to play, then come back. I usually find that I play better after an absence too. Also try to intersperse your WOT play with other games just to break up the grind.

Always a good idea to platoon too - you can just shoot the breeze with your buds and try to keep each other calm.

I'd say I play WOT for about 10 / 12 months of each year.

Still a lot o.0

stalkervision #5 Posted Mar 22 2016 - 20:49

Major

• Players
  • 66640 battles
seriously how many times can one fight on the same old tired maps?

KaSt_Patton #6 Posted Mar 22 2016 - 20:50

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 25505 battles

I havent dumped much money into this game, only ever bought the type 59, but as you said, the main reason good players leave is because of the huge skill gap between players on this game. 

In games like COD or BF4 the skill gap is less apparent because the health of the players is all the same and every bullet "pens" so they die like the rest, in WOT, there are great differences between those who know the tanks and maps and mechanics of the game and those who dont. 

Unfortunately, WOT is a F2P game that advertises everywhere, so kids and morons are attracted to the game like flies to poop. 

The obsession with stats on this game is another reason why good players leave. I dont know of many other games which have a 3rd party ranking and coloring system weaved into the fabric of the game... not good

holdmecloserTonyDanza #7 Posted Mar 22 2016 - 20:52

Major

• Players
  • 67975 battles
  • [HSOLO] HSOLO
mechanics is the biggest reason most of the people I know have moved on.  the CW debacles yeah, that definitely plays a part.  but I think most people I know that have left did so either because of arty, RNG or both.  

_Miyuki_ #8 Posted Mar 22 2016 - 20:52

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13622 battles
  • [PZB] PZB
CW 2.0

rich73 #9 Posted Mar 22 2016 - 20:53

Major

• Players
  • 55553 battles

View PostScanjoon, on Mar 22 2016 - 11:44, said:

Other than just boredom or reasons unrelated to the game, what do believe or know are the primary reasons veteran players will or have jumped ship?

To date, I have lost 7 buds, of which 6 of them had been playing for a very long time and had many battles, and on a monthly basis dumped real coin into the game. Their main reason given for leaving is that they could no longer tolerate having spent a significant amount of real coin, and hours learning and becoming decent players, only to be dumped into teams of which were comprised mostly of scrubs and only 2 or 3 good players.

What sayeth you?

They just sell their accounts and reroll.

GermanMade #10 Posted Mar 22 2016 - 20:53

Captain

• Players
  • 34326 battles
  • [PINGU] PINGU

Scanjoon,

I looked you up on Wotlabs and saw no clan history, so I'm going to assume your buds weren't in clans either.   I will also assume all your game play has been in pubs, with maybe a chance you played some Tank Companies of the past.

If all you are playing is pubs, you and your buds are missing out on so much more.   After a few hours of playing pubs myself, I'm on the edge of raging.   I will strongly recommend you in joining a clan and getting involved in other play this game has to offer:   Detachments, Strongholds, Clan Wars, Tournaments, Team Battles...etc.   (yes, you can do some of those without being in a clan)   These other game modes have a lot of offer with room for improvement.  

I just saying, if your only playing pubs, you will get burnt.  

Cl0r0x_4_U #11 Posted Mar 22 2016 - 20:55

Major

• Players
  • 28576 battles
  • [IQVET] IQVET
Arty.

AdvocateAnarchy #12 Posted Mar 22 2016 - 20:55

Private

• -Players-
  • 11327 battles
  • [DZB] DZB

I fully agree with the issues of the maps. If my friends did not persuade me as much as they do, then I would probably have kicked out as well. I remember quite a few maps that used to be part of tanks, which IMO was amazing, but unfortunately removed... Suppose my vote counts too little if I vote for the return of the older maps or at least new ones more frequently... or just KEEP the ones we have and add MORE, not take away

HellsBells_ #13 Posted Mar 22 2016 - 20:55

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 30812 battles
  • [HLBL] HLBL
other than advancing crew there is an endgame, you kinda get burnt out, once your a vet player its hard to change your stats for the better..

DERP_IN_THE_FACE #14 Posted Mar 22 2016 - 20:55

Major

• Players
  • 32550 battles
  • [FATE] FATE

View PostKaSt_Patton, on Mar 22 2016 - 14:50, said:

I havent dumped much money into this game, only ever bought the type 59, but as you said, the main reason good players leave is because of the huge skill gap between players on this game. 

In games like COD or BF4 the skill gap is less apparent because the health of the players is all the same and every bullet "pens" so they die like the rest, in WOT, there are great differences between those who know the tanks and maps and mechanics of the game and those who dont. 

Unfortunately, WOT is a F2P game that advertises everywhere, so kids and morons are attracted to the game like flies to poop. 

The obsession with stats on this game is another reason why good players leave. I dont know of many other games which have a 3rd party ranking and coloring system weaved into the fabric of the game... not good

xvm is great for yourself and only that. You should be able to see yourself improve. But it has been twisted into this epeen I'm better than you even though your WN8 is 2 lower than mine type of [edited]. The fact that in game great players get singled out and arty aims for good players all game is annoying. I should be able to look like the rest and not have a huge target sign on my tank. XVM should be a banned mod. Sure you can go look at stats like that online but it should not be integrated into the game

wh1skybarrel #15 Posted Mar 22 2016 - 20:56

Major

• Players
  • 21363 battles
  • [RELIC] RELIC
I think the usual reason for leaving is boredom, and wanting to do something else.

BattlecryGWJ #16 Posted Mar 22 2016 - 20:56

Major

• Players
  • 35335 battles
  • [RSRDD] RSRDD

CW 2.0.

To me, CW was always the "end game".  Earn your tier 10's and then go play and make some gold.  Then they moved the map from Europe to North America, effectively reduced gold income while adding tank locking and some other bad mechanics to attempt to force the play.  Ok, still, just had to grind enough of the right 10s, and you're solid to play.  Then they came out with 2.0 where the tier 10 playground was significantly limited and you had to grind strongholds for resources to play in CW ("Hey Bro! I heard that you liked to grind, so I added another grind to make your grind even more grindy!").  Done.

GermanMade #17 Posted Mar 22 2016 - 20:56

Captain

• Players
  • 34326 battles
  • [PINGU] PINGU

View Post_Tsavo_, on Mar 22 2016 - 14:49, said:

A lot of the in game friends I've made were pushed out by CW 2.0, aka strongholds for days until it's your second job and not a game.

Do you realize, you no longer have to be a slave to detachments?

TigerRabbit #18 Posted Mar 22 2016 - 20:57

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 33170 battles

I lost a couple of friends I used to tank with... their reasoning is:

- Too many matches where it blows out (you have all tomatoes and the enemy has green/blue/purple... or the other way around... either way... doesn't feel like skill)

- Special events.. it's fun if you're a better player, because you can farm damage of tomatoes, but if you don't play that much or just aren't 'good' then it's not a lot of fun to be on at those times.

- Gap between us (they play less and are at tier 3-5, I play more and prefer to play 8-10)

I still play quite a bit... (but no where near as much) gained some new friends to platoon with and then it is a lot of fun. Playing alone Tier 8-10 is fine, but 5-6 feels random, either you get a couple tomatoes -> you lose, couple half sane people -> you win. First 9 months I put in well over $1000, last 6 months < $200... it's just not worth the money anymore... I'll still buy premium time, but I don't even bother with gold for crew retraining all that much anymore... because why would you... soo many of those thingies you an activate to get extra xp.

782GearUSMC #19 Posted Mar 22 2016 - 20:58

Major

• Players
  • 27861 battles

Block Quote

I looked you up on Wotlabs and saw no clan history, so I'm going to assume your buds weren't in clans either.   I will also assume all your game play has been in pubs, with maybe a chance you played some Tank Companies of the past.

A few of them did try clans...hated it. As for me, I have never been that dedicated to the game to put coin into it or strive to turn purple; I just play and experiment with tactics/locations, and move on.

Nunya_000 #20 Posted Mar 22 2016 - 20:59

Major

• Players
  • 21138 battles
  • [PACNW] PACNW

View PostScanjoon, on Mar 22 2016 - 11:44, said:

Other than just boredom or reasons unrelated to the game, what do believe or know are the primary reasons veteran players will or have jumped ship?

What sayeth you?

This game is repetitious and WILL get boring for ALL of us.  It is human nature to find reasons why we do not enjoy things we once enjoyed.  While I have not been here since the beginning, I have no doubt that teams included a lot of "scrub" ever since it's release.  Why is it an issue now?  Maybe it is because with XVM, we can now actually see the scrubs.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users