Why do veteran players leave WoT?

• Please log in to reply
975 replies to this topic

Mikosah #81 Posted Mar 23 2016 - 03:52

Major

• Players
  • 17582 battles

There's a few factors, but the common thread to all of them is that we're willing to put up with a lot of crap while grinding, but still having all the same crap thrown at us when the grind is finished defeats the purpose of the endgame content.

Basically, the randoms are unreliable. Maybe you'll have fun, or maybe you'll be tortured by factors outside of your control. Anything can happen. That's a great and interesting appeal for the new guys, but the veterans are sick and tired of it. The competitive modes were supposed to be the alternative that reels them in, but in the end the competitive modes are just more of the same but with voice comms (which should have been available in the pubs from the start). Besides, only a scant few tanks are viable in Team Battles, and CW isn't much better. For a lot of players, the only thing to do is yet more randoms. You could play Rampage, but that has its own problems.

There's just no outlet, no mode that can yet be taken seriously.

SpitYoYoMafia #82 Posted Mar 23 2016 - 03:57

Major

• Players
  • 19231 battles

View PostRick0_shay, on Mar 22 2016 - 18:37, said:

What page was this exact quote made on because I am having a hard time finding it. 

It would help you show the intelligence you say I lack if maybe you noticed you edited your post AFTER i quoted it. But hey why do something like that when you would rather call people stupid, when you are clearly wrong again.

Do I really have to spell this out for you because I'm seriously not in the mood.

I said I enjoyed this game but because X changes have not been fixed I do not support the game anymore.

Seriously dude do you have problems with summarizing things or reading in general because if so I suggest that you go back to grade school and actually get an english teacher who will teach you how to get the gist of what people are saying.

Edited by _Ninjax_, Mar 23 2016 - 05:24.

SpitYoYoMafia #83 Posted Mar 23 2016 - 03:58

Major

• Players
  • 19231 battles

View Postdiesel__1, on Mar 22 2016 - 18:50, said:

Well now you know Rick0_shay why some of us have to be on our guard and call this guy's bluff.  Too many times what he says comes around and bites him in the....well....you what.  You and me will keep him on his toes! ;)

How about you stop following me around now before you really start pissing me off okay

SpitYoYoMafia #84 Posted Mar 23 2016 - 04:00

Major

• Players
  • 19231 battles

View PostDeltaVolt, on Mar 22 2016 - 18:42, said:

If I wanted the opinion of a little troll that's never been more than below average at this game I'd have asked for it.

Exactly! Why the hell are these bad players and non veteran players talking about things that they don't understand, I just don't get it.

lukzomg1 #85 Posted Mar 23 2016 - 04:21

Captain

• Players
  • 43353 battles

View Poststalkervision, on Mar 22 2016 - 19:49, said:

Boredom is pretty much it.. :)

That would be my main reason to leave, but autoloaders clipping tanks, arty mechanics, and overbloated RNG would be additional reasons.

diesel__1 #86 Posted Mar 23 2016 - 04:27

Major

• -Players-
  • 8095 battles

View Post_Ninjax_, on Mar 22 2016 - 18:58, said:

How about you stop following me around now before you really start pissing me off okay

Sorry, can't do that.  You made the mistake of saying once that I don't know what I'm talking about......I'm just showing it goes both ways. ;)  Just keeping you on your toes.....someone has too. :D

Edited by diesel__1, Mar 23 2016 - 04:28.

DeltaVolt #87 Posted Mar 23 2016 - 04:40

Major

• Players
  • 20183 battles

View Post_Ninjax_, on Mar 22 2016 - 19:00, said:

Exactly! Why the hell are these bad players and non veteran players talking about things that they don't understand, I just don't get it.

I don't mind bad players or non-veterans voicing their opinion - they may not understand the mechanics behind the game as well but their opinion still matters. I do mind trolls (his clan, his number of battles, his posting history, etc) though and that guy obviously is one.

diesel__1 #88 Posted Mar 23 2016 - 04:44

Major

• -Players-
  • 8095 battles

View PostDeltaVolt, on Mar 22 2016 - 19:40, said:

I don't mind bad players or non-veterans voicing their opinion - they may not understand the mechanics behind the game as well but their opinion still matters. I do mind trolls (his clan, his number of battles, his posting history, etc) though and that guy obviously is one.

You've gotten part of my point.  Many aspects of this game AND attitude towards it don't need extreme expertise in this game to explain stuff.  Some don't seem to understand that part. 

SoTrue #89 Posted Mar 23 2016 - 05:19

Major

• Players
  • 35433 battles
  • [-DILL] -DILL

View PostScanjoon, on Mar 22 2016 - 11:44, said:

Other than just boredom or reasons unrelated to the game, what do believe or know are the primary reasons veteran players will or have jumped ship?

To date, I have lost 7 buds, of which 6 of them had been playing for a very long time and had many battles, and on a monthly basis dumped real coin into the game. Their main reason given for leaving is that they could no longer tolerate having spent a significant amount of real coin, and hours learning and becoming decent players, only to be dumped into teams of which were comprised mostly of scrubs and only 2 or 3 good players.

What sayeth you?

You nailed it.  I've become a much better player over time.  Example, my M6A2E1.  I had only played two weeks of beta before I hopped into my supercool (albeit less than attractive) shiny new tier 8 heavy tank.  I played 112 battles back in 2011, my win rate was 32%.  I picked that tank back up this year.  So far, in my last 900 or so battles, I've been averaging 56% win rate.  I think we can all agree that a 56% winrate in a tier 8 heavy tank is 'not to bad'.  But my beef is as your friends have found.  I am so tired of being one of three or four non-reds facing a team that only has three or four reds.  Those games are about as frustrating a way to spend my time as I can think of.  Oh, and I'm equally as bored when the MM 'gifts me' the reverse scenario.

_

The think is, WOT could very simple make every single match 'competitive'.  After selecting the 30 tanks based on tank weight, exactly as they do now, they could then swap players between teams to balance team skill.  As long as they only move players 'horizontally' between teams, tank weight balance would be preserved.  I think they could easily come up with the program to bring teams within a range of 40% to 60% chance to win.  This would make every battle winnable/loseable, and would up the excitement/interest level several notches.

SpitYoYoMafia #90 Posted Mar 23 2016 - 05:26

Major

• Players
  • 19231 battles

View Postbikebudha1, on Mar 22 2016 - 20:19, said:

You nailed it.  I've become a much better player over time.  Example, my M6A2E1.  I had only played two weeks of beta before I hopped into my supercool (albeit less than attractive) shiny new tier 8 heavy tank.  I played 112 battles back in 2011, my win rate was 32%.  I picked that tank back up this year.  So far, in my last 900 or so battles, I've been averaging 56% win rate.  I think we can all agree that a 56% winrate in a tier 8 heavy tank is 'not to bad'.  But my beef is as your friends have found.  I am so tired of being one of three or four non-reds facing a team that only has three or four reds.  Those games are about as frustrating a way to spend my time as I can think of.  Oh, and I'm equally as bored when the MM 'gifts me' the reverse scenario.

_

The think is, WOT could very simple make every single match 'competitive'.  After selecting the 30 tanks based on tank weight, exactly as they do now, they could then swap players between teams to balance team skill.  As long as they only move players 'horizontally' between teams, tank weight balance would be preserved.  I think they could easily come up with the program to bring teams within a range of 40% to 60% chance to win.  This would make every battle winnable/loseable, and would up the excitement/interest level several notches.

Before they fix the teams the first thing that they can do is stop making my shots eat the dirt or making my 175mm of penetration bounce off the bottom of an SU-122-44's Hull which was unangled at 120ish mm of effective armor. Less than a 5% chance of bouncing but it bounces anyway because +-25% RNG gud stuff.

Ded_man #91 Posted Mar 23 2016 - 05:31

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 25668 battles
  • [FINES] FINES

Haven't left but I find it hard to want to play. Not because I really want to play, but because it's been a habit for years. However, battles are often filled with disappointment, frustrations, disbelief, with a spritz of joy on occasion. Too much like marriage and I can't deal with two wives.

For me, it has nothing to do with repetitive maps. A boxer does not complain about going into the same 20 sqft ring. Although I don't care for changes that force head to head skirmishes. 

It's not arty, it sucks to get hit but I can deal with the occasional punishment. 

It's generally the population and evolved behavior of it I can't stand. Many deny it, but I swear teammates are getting worse every month. I'm no purple nor elitist. My level of playing hasn't stretched to the realm of enlightenment and all those who have not transcended are beneath me. I'm simply an observant and participant (although intermittent lately). 

There was once a time not long ago, the recommendation was if you want competive and skillful play, play tier 10. Who says that anymore? Hell, actual bots plague that tier now (I don't get why though since there's not much profit at that tier with out doing decent damage and winning.)

In addition, I hate that WG does not put limitations on whether a player that has crappy connectivity can enter a game. Instead of WG ensuring quality matches for their player base, someone with +1k ping can enter a match, lag out, and instantly create a disadvantage for the team. Also, someone who doesn't meet the standard recommendation of the Texas Instument calculator can play with 4FPS, but to deal with that they must camp most of the battle. 

I mean, I understand some of us can't control their connections. I understand that not everyone can have a super rig. I also understand that you would still like to enjoy the game regardless. But to put it simple, you don't get on the interstate on your bicycle and ruin others commute simply because that's your only means of transportation and because it's still faster than taking the back roads. 

That's just how I feel, though. 

Edited by Ded_man, Mar 23 2016 - 05:56.

LastGreen #92 Posted Mar 23 2016 - 06:23

Corporal

• Players
  • 5345 battles
iv been playing on and off since 2012 and have yet to break 5k games simply because losing is no fun. it could be, but it simply isn't so when i start falling below 50% w/r i just stop having fun and simply start playing something else.

Ante_Mortem #93 Posted Mar 23 2016 - 06:29

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 23273 battles
  • [CS7AO] CS7AO

View PostScanjoon, on Mar 22 2016 - 20:44, said:

Other than just boredom or reasons unrelated to the game, what do believe or know are the primary reasons veteran players will or have jumped ship?

To date, I have lost 7 buds, of which 6 of them had been playing for a very long time and had many battles, and on a monthly basis dumped real coin into the game. Their main reason given for leaving is that they could no longer tolerate having spent a significant amount of real coin, and hours learning and becoming decent players, only to be dumped into teams of which were comprised mostly of scrubs and only 2 or 3 good players.

What sayeth you?

I'd say your friends' problem is that they started to become stat snobs, and you as well actually.  That is my opinion based on the limited information you give me.  Instead of seeing their skill as a responsibility to carry, or at least not to suck, you and your friends decided to start judging the teams around them and formed an elitist attitude toward the community of WoT (we're better than them, we can hit wasd keys better and click more accurately, haha, those poor saps over there, what's their excuse?).  It is pretty much assumed that there will be a high number of bad players in a match, we get this we see it all the time and know what you are talking about, however, I don't (usually) complain.  I cinch up my proverbial belt and carry like a pack horse, and I like it.  When you are the deciding factor in a win it is better than doing decent in a match of all skilled players, in my opinion.  If you want good players bring them with you in a platoon, or better yet play the game modes designed for skilled players, pretty much anything but Proving Grounds, Random MM, and Team Training.

RamaLamaDingDong2 #94 Posted Mar 23 2016 - 06:57

Major

• -Players-
  • 29329 battles
  • [USAA] USAA

View PostRick0_shay, on Mar 22 2016 - 20:28, said:

Having a hard time debating without insults? You seem to think your way is the only way, its why you are usually wrong but cant see it. 

Rick doesn't play the game but comes in to do his drive by shots. Typically one liners that apparently he thinks is enlightening for all.  To quote him its his way or the wrong way....note he doesn't play the game.

RamaLamaDingDong2 #95 Posted Mar 23 2016 - 07:03

Major

• -Players-
  • 29329 battles
  • [USAA] USAA

View Postbikebudha1, on Mar 22 2016 - 22:19, said:

_

o  Why do you  lose consistently (for tens or hundreds of games) at a rate that is the ALWAYS the inverse of your previous winning rate (eg. 40%  vs 60%)
o  Why does this occur when you reach a win rate of 50%, 55% or some other arbitrary limit?
o  Why does win rate suppression stop suddenly and subsequently improve meteorically at 60% WR for an equal period?
o  Why are so many players experiencing this?
o  Why does this up/down oscillation in win rate occur against a measurable background using other metrics (WN8) that improve gradually over time?
o  Why does Wargaming have a patent that describes exactly these sort of methods for  players that reach a pre-determined level of win rate?

"According to another aspect, the matchmaking server may store a win/loss percentage for each user (or vehicle) at a given battle level. As the player's win/loss ratio decreases, the player becomes more likely to be placed in battles having battle levels at the lower end of the allowable range, whereas as the player's win/loss ration increases, the player becomes more likely to be placed in battles having battle levels at the upper end of the allowable range. Thus, when a player has been repeatedly put into too many difficult battles, the balancing is done in favor of easier battle sessions, thereby encouraging the player by providing an easier game environment. Similarly, when the player has been repeatedly put into too many easy battles, the balancing is done in favor of harder battle sessions, thereby keeping the player challenged instead of letting the player become bored with easy games."

Burning_Haggis #96 Posted Mar 23 2016 - 07:12

Major

• Players
  • 46656 battles
  • [_WF_] _WF_

#1 arty

#2 ARTY

#3 WG's unbelievably uncanny ability to turn almost any "new" feature into a complete and unadulterated clusterf***.

#4 See #1 and repeat list

Nehalim #97 Posted Mar 23 2016 - 07:18

Major

• Players
  • 36449 battles
  • [-G-] -G-

game is filled with [edited]

games aren't fun

BigNaturals #98 Posted Mar 23 2016 - 07:44

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 56116 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU
CW 2.0 and how WG runs things and nerfs things after the money flow slows down on OP tanks they nerf them only to release a new OP tank and repeat over and over

Limewire___________THICC #99 Posted Mar 23 2016 - 09:41

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 20297 battles
mostly ARTY and RNG 

Grog1776 #100 Posted Mar 23 2016 - 10:06

Corporal

• Players
  • 15880 battles
  • [B_I_A] B_I_A
Ever hear of the taboo word warpack? I know people who gave up because of it. WG is making money on it because  you have to have a premium account to use it.  But they will never admit to it. It was banned in Europe after the players boycotted playing the game.  Only a matter of time before it reaches WoWS.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users