• This topic is locked This topic is locked
11 replies to this topic

ezboy #1 Posted Jul 17 2011 - 23:04

Sergeant

• Players
  • 17396 battles
  • [DHO3] DHO3
Hi Arty newby here

Have decided that effective arty opposition has been so frustrating for me as a tanker that I must learn how it works... so I got a basic U.S. piece...Am confused on a few things...even when loaded why doesn't my gun fire immediately...is there a good tutorial page that any one can suggest that would make me a more complete player w/o killing my stats  or own side other than by blind trial and error

M10_Tank #2 Posted Jul 17 2011 - 23:15

Sergeant

• Players
  • 12607 battles
The gun on an artillery piece fires as soon as you click if loaded however it takes some time for the shell to reach the target because it has to travel a longer distance. Most guns fire line of sight so it does not take as much time to reach  the target. Please tell me if this makes any sense or if i need to clarify myself some more.

M10

Eidolone #3 Posted Jul 17 2011 - 23:16

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 20846 battles
There are several such guides in the game guides and tutorials forum, such as this guide or this one.

WallCandy #4 Posted Jul 17 2011 - 23:35

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 6507 battles
  • [BT] BT
Not as easy mode as you thought it was eh? Practice makes perfect exspecially in this case. Knowing your timing is the most important part of being able to hit anything moving.

CaptCrusader #5 Posted Jul 18 2011 - 00:02

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 4477 battles

View Postezboy, on Jul 17 2011 - 23:04, said:

...even when loaded why doesn't my gun fire immediately

Not sure what this problem is. An artillery gun is the same as any other gun. If you are talking about the delay between firing and the round hitting your target.....you do need some artillery basics.

An SPG fires in a high arc, leaving your gun barrel pointing nearly straight up and then coming down on the target. This is known as Indirect Fire and is the preferred mode of attack for SPGs. When you press Shift in your arty, you go into this overhead view. The little green circle you see is your target reticle. This is where (usually) the round will hit when you shoot. If you dont see a circle, or the circle is really big or all broken up, you dont have a good shot. Wait until the circle draws down to its smallest possible diameter place the center dot on your target, then shoot. As you have seen, it takes a second or two for the round to travel to your target. This is because you are shooting a reallly long distance and the shell has to complete its arc to get to target.

For more info, look in the Guides section of the forum. Lots of good SPG talk and advice going on.

Unfortunately, you will need some actual trigger time in SPGs to learn all their nuances. The guides might give you some heads up on what you are seeing when you line up a shot, but you really have to get out there and play to fully understand.

ezboy #6 Posted Jul 18 2011 - 01:24

Sergeant

• Players
  • 17396 battles
  • [DHO3] DHO3
familiar with indirect fire concept thanks for the advice...just didn't want to kill my hit percentages racked up by my panzer iii/iv... but if I do figure this out i may have to switch to the dark side

Optimus_Ares #7 Posted Jul 18 2011 - 05:06

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 19239 battles
1. Find bush
2. Hide in bush
3. Press SHIFT
4. Locate enemy
5. Hover mouse over enemy (consult mini map for locations where enemies have been detected)
6. Wait for aiming circle to get smaller/focused on the enemy
7. If enemy moving, take into account the distance/flight length of your shell before hitting (longer distance, longer time before shell impact)
8. Press the LEFT mouse button to fire
9. Enjoy the enemy go up in flames and cursing at you for being an OP arty with Geo-orbital-precision-striking-thingy

Go back to 4 and repeat until all enemies are destroyed.

warthogfan #8 Posted Jul 18 2011 - 08:36

Sergeant

• Players
  • 15800 battles
I try to follow team mates in the overhead map, that way if an enemy pops up ahead of them, I can put a round or two on them to spften them up.  Do not hit team mates, they will get upset;-)

BobRoss #9 Posted Jul 18 2011 - 11:15

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 7619 battles
  • [-RM-] -RM-

View Postezboy, on Jul 18 2011 - 01:24, said:

familiar with indirect fire concept thanks for the advice...just didn't want to kill my hit percentages racked up by my panzer iii/iv... but if I do figure this out i may have to switch to the dark side

If you are really concerned with your overall hit % then don't play arti.  If you realize that most people that check your stats to really analyze you will take arti hit % into account or actually go in and look at your tank specific stats then go ahead.

Arti is inaccurate and gets moreso the higher you go.  I'd suggest not going past M7 if hit % is really important to you.

Eustace #10 Posted Jul 18 2011 - 13:06

Sergeant

• Players
  • 32265 battles
  • [WOOT] WOOT
Press the LEFT Shift Key to get into artillery mode.

Ironmonger69 #11 Posted Jul 18 2011 - 13:58

Major

• Players
  • 7146 battles

Then you don't want to play an SPG.  The best hit rate I've managed (though I've only played about 160 matches in 4 different SPG's) is about 28%.  Splash damage doesn't count as a hit, but you still can do damage.  I found the M37, once it has the long gun, pays handsomely.

EDIT: Changed my # of matches in SPG's after checking my stats.  Played a little more than I thought!

Phelps #12 Posted Jul 18 2011 - 16:19

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18779 battles

If you are worried about your hit percentage, then don't play SPGs.  Even if you put the reticle right on the target and they don't move, they can still be wildly inaccurate.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users