Noobish questions..

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

Necrolegion #1 Posted Jul 17 2011 - 23:42

Major

• Players
  • 20117 battles
I am still fairly new to this game. Have been playing it for a week(not one entire week, just on some days of the week).

Q1: When you are selling your starter tanks do you lose the crew for good? I was reading the wiki and some threads here and read that you can transfer crew members around. How does this work? What is the purpose of the barracks for?

Q1.5: LOL Transferring experience earned. Its 25 exp for 1 gold. Does it get converted to free experience?

Q2: Tempted to buy some gold, but do not know how to use it effectively. If I buy gold I can buy premium content right? What is the difference in buying a premium tank vs a regular tank of the same tier? Is it more beneficial to instead buy Premium for the 1.5x bonus?

Q2.5: Converting Gold into Silver. I read that it is a bad thing to do. That its better to buy Premium instead. Why?

Q3: How do you use SPGs? Specifically controls. I know shift is to go into orbital view, but can you go into sniper/fps view? I have seen people zoom in and out on videos, how does that work?

Q4: How do you use TDs? Same as above.

Q5: Something I am unaware of but I think I have seen. Is it possible to fight with more than one tank in a Battle? I think I saw a video once were a guy switched tanks after one got destroyed. Not sure if it was the same game, but he entered the same map.

CaptCrusader #2 Posted Jul 17 2011 - 23:52

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 4477 battles

View PostNecrolegion, on Jul 17 2011 - 23:42, said:

I am still fairly new to this game. Have been playing it for a week(not one entire week, just on some days of the week).

Q1: When you are selling your starter tanks do you lose the crew for good? I was reading the wiki and some threads here and read that you can transfer crew members around. How does this work? What is the purpose of the barracks for?
You can remove crew from a tank and place them in your barracks if you want to keep them around for use on new tanks. Barracks are for "storing" crews. If you open the crewman's file, you will see a Training option. Its pretty easy to use.

Q1.5: LOL Transferring experience earned. Its 25 exp for 1 gold. Does it get converted to free experience?
Yes. Free xp can be used on any tank. Xp earned on an individual tank can only be used to research that tank. If a tank is elite, you can use xp gained on it to convert to free xp.

Q2: Tempted to buy some gold, but do not know how to use it effectively. If I buy gold I can buy premium content right? What is the difference in buying a premium tank vs a regular tank of the same tier? Is it more beneficial to instead buy Premium for the 1.5x bonus?
Premium tanks are elite status tanks that cant be gained by normal research. They are generally well balanced for their tier. Their appeal is that they are elite from the get go and recieve a bonus to credits earned while playing.

Q2.5: Converting Gold into Silver. I read that it is a bad thing to do. That its better to buy Premium instead. Why?
Premium gives you a 50% bonus to creds. Why buy something with real money that you earn for free by playing. But its your gold, you do what you want with it.

Q3: How do you use SPGs? Specifically controls. I know shift is to go into orbital view, but can you go into sniper/fps view? I have seen people zoom in and out on videos, how does that work?
Look in the guides section. Lots of good info there.

Guides section of the forums.

Q5: Something I am unaware of but I think I have seen. Is it possible to fight with more than one tank in a Battle? I think I saw a video once were a guy switched tanks after one got destroyed. Not sure if it was the same game, but he entered the same map.
After you die in a battle, you can exit and begin a new battle with a different tank. The first tank is "locked" into that battle until its over. Theoretically, as long as you have tanks in your garage you can keep shifting to a new battle. But you cannot reenter a battle with another tank. Once you hit battle, youre locked in to that fight. Dont exit a battle until AFTER you die, you will lose your tank anyway and any chance to earn more xp.

MacXlII #3 Posted Jul 17 2011 - 23:53

Sergeant

• Players
  • 14209 battles

You can click on the crew's portraits and choose to send them to the barracks, where they can be used on a different tank to continue their growth.  Only really worth it if they are already well trained (100%)

Yes, free xp, and it can be worth it if you are willing to spend quite a bit of cash.

With gold you should primarily buy a premium account, which makes all your tanks earn more xp and credits.  You can buy a premium tank, but they only reward you if you use that particular tank and no premium tank is the best of its tier.

Bad idea because you can earn more credits by saving your gold for your premium account.

SPGs dont have a "sniper view".  Eagle cam or standardview only.  Zoom in and out with the mousewheel.

TD is a tank (usually) without a turret.  No real difference in controls, just keep fairly far away form other tanks and take long shots while trying to keep hidden.

Not possible yet, might be implemented in future.

I'm sure most people would say just search for this info, as it is pretty widely available.  Check here http://game.worldoft....com/wot_manual for more info.  Good luck and happy hunting.

_Dia_ #4 Posted Jul 17 2011 - 23:54

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 32140 battles
Q1: I'm not too good with crews.

Q1: Yes, and you can use that free experience on any tank.

Q2: Premium tanks just make more money. I just suggest buying the premium account.

Q2: Premium account just makes you more money than converting. It just does
It
Q3: No, you can't go into sniper mode on an Arty.

Q4: With TD's, you can either snipe, defend, or support.

Q5: No. Let's say you fought with your Tiger in Lakeville. If it's dead, you can exit the battle and enter another battle but only with a different tank, like a Panzer III. You still get the maximum amount of exp. you would get in your Tiger's match though.

Necrolegion #5 Posted Jul 18 2011 - 00:04

Major

• Players
  • 20117 battles
So premium tanks are meh? While premium accounts are the stuff???

Also for my last question. When you exit the battle and say your team won, do you earn any money. I am in a tier 2 M2 Light and I sometimes get a kill or too, mostly just hit points. I need a better tank with more firepower. Too many of my shots "didn't go through" or "bounced off" against enemy tanks which gets annoying sometimes.

And thanks for replying!

GeorgePatton #6 Posted Jul 18 2011 - 00:12

First lieutenant

• Special Beta Testers
  • 6426 battles
You earn money whether or not your team wins or loses, it does not matter, however, when your team wins, you get more money (creds).

Kills do not get you any more XP as per the DEVs, only damage gets you XP. [EDIT] Sorry, didn't mean to make it look like ONLY this got you XP, scouting (finding) other tanks and capping the base also gets you XP. Capping the base gives you (I think) a 1.5x XP bonus.

Try using HE shells when you are bouncing. (press 3 in battle to get these, press 1 to go back to AP, and press 2 to use any premium shells you buy, but PLS PLS PLS, do not buy prem shells unless you are playing Clan Wars)

Cheers!
Glenn

montanakennedy #7 Posted Jul 18 2011 - 00:50

Captain

• Players
  • 17564 battles

If you have a reasonably trained crew (65+) and are not yet to the point of training to 75 (20,000 credits per crewmate), you may want to consider putting them in the barracks, buy the new tank (purchased with the crew box unchecked), drop them in the new tank, and retrain on the new tank.

You may have seen the guy right-click after his death. After you die, if you right click, you can cycle through the remaining tanks on your squad and see what they are doing. As a new player, this may be helpful to see how folks play and learn what works and what doesn't.

GearaDoga #8 Posted Jul 18 2011 - 01:10

Major

• Players
  • 8517 battles
  • [WIH] WIH

View PostNecrolegion, on Jul 18 2011 - 00:04, said:

So premium tanks are meh? While premium accounts are the stuff???

Also for my last question. When you exit the battle and say your team won, do you earn any money. I am in a tier 2 M2 Light and I sometimes get a kill or too, mostly just hit points. I need a better tank with more firepower. Too many of my shots "didn't go through" or "bounced off" against enemy tanks which gets annoying sometimes.

And thanks for replying!

Once you're dead, you can exit the battle with NO PENALTY AND/OR LOSS WHATSOEVER.  The earnings are EXACTLY the same if you leave, or if you stay.

Premium tanks are mainly there for earning credits - they naturally earn more credits than standard tanks and their repair costs are really low, so even more profit.  The premium account lets you make platoons, earns you 1.5 times as much credits, AND 1.5 times as much XP.  Premium account is better overall, but premium tanks are still a decent idea, if you get a good one.  As an example - a Lowe, with a premium account, is able to earn $75,000 to $100,000 per match or more, with a decent driver.

cptnknipples #9 Posted Jul 18 2011 - 01:16

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 4895 battles
you can change crew by clicking them then sending them to the barracks then buying the next tank without crew

p.s. crew CANNOT change tank type or nation

Necrolegion #10 Posted Jul 18 2011 - 04:38

Major

• Players
  • 20117 battles
Thanks guys, this really helped me. I got the hang of SPGs and am now trying my hand on TDs. Also thanks for pointing out the no penalty for leaving game and fighting another battle. I cannot believe how quickly I gained 15K from just cycling in between my M2 Light and T57. Once I died I would exit and battle with another tank and by the time I finished my previous match was either a victory or a loss.

Also, one last thing.. I am having a lot of trouble avoiding team kills. I keep getting them on SPGs which net me zero earnings, well unless I get a +1 or more kill(s). Still even for making up for the -1 I make less than half from a victory. I just killed a team mate right now as I was trying to kill an enemy, he got in the way of the incoming fire and boom! He went off in flames. The enemy tank ended up going to our base and destroying me. I have already killed 5 team members like this. On one match I shot a round at an enemy, but he was in a valley. One of our destroyers was at the top of him on a mountain/plateau and he intersected my round far away from where I had marked it giving me a -1. It sucks when you get -1s, can I get banned if this keeps happening? I am not doing it on purpose.

Alfonze #11 Posted Jul 18 2011 - 05:36

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 5550 battles

View Postcptnknipples, on Jul 18 2011 - 01:16, said:

you can change crew by clicking them then sending them to the barracks then buying the next tank without crew

Actually, crews can be trained or retrained on any tank of their own nation, regardless of whether it's a light, a heavy, or an SPG.  crews can not, however, be trained on another nation's tanks.  IE, a German tanker can't be put on a Sherman.  An M2 Lt driver, though, can be retrained to drive an M4.

Also, YES, repeatedly killing team mates will get you "banned".  That is, your name will turn blue in-game and friendlies may kill you with no penalty.  I find that when playing SPGs, I just have to be careful with my shots.  If a friendly is close to or might come close to where I am aiming, I won't take the shot.  Sure I might hit the enemy, but I might hit that ally.

baron_v_v #12 Posted Jul 18 2011 - 06:32

Sergeant

• Players
  • 1235 battles
You have to be very careful when playing as an SPG to keep an eye on how close friendly tanks are to the enemy you're targeting. Keep in mind that some players will actively try and ram enemy tanks! I got a friendly kill once when I fired a shell at an enemy, and in the time it took the shell to reach the target an allied tank had rammed him, and of course took the full force of my shell.

SyberSmoke #13 Posted Jul 18 2011 - 07:08

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 5116 battles
Given you have racked up a few TK's, you should probably take some time off from the SPG just to help clear out your TK record.  More and you could get turned blue and be flagged.  So use TD's and normal tanks for a few days.

As for Premium Tanks vs Premium account, here you go.  Premium account will give you a solid boost to your earnings, but has a limited duration...best plan gets you premium for 30 days.  Premium tanks doe the same, they give you money, but not XP.  They can help you though to get new tanks that you research and cover your expenses at higher tiers.  Premium tanks are also permanent...so once you buy one you have it till you sell it.

This means a premium tanks value can last you months or years while that premium account will last you 30 days tops.  As for buying credits, there are times where it can be justified to do this...but it is few and far between.  Mainly if your not a player who can sit for hours and grind away...may be you only play for an hour every couple days...then using credit purchase to get the cash for your tank or some gear would be better then premium.  BUT, it is a fine line...and in most cases a premium tank would serve you better then either cash for credits or a premium account.

Edit: One more thing...DO NOT go and buy your self a Lowe or a KV-5 with out reading on how to play them.  The less expensive Heavies are a little more forgiving.  But the Tier 8 premium tanks tend to face high tier tanks and be the linch pins of lower tier battles.  So being a noob Tier 8 tends to attract allot of ire.

Dredhawk #14 Posted Jul 18 2011 - 08:46

Captain

• Players
  • 16020 battles

View Postcptnknipples, on Jul 18 2011 - 01:16, said:

I have found you can run a tank with out training them for the next tank ....Had a clan member ask us one day why all of his crew was red instead of white.  He just throw them from one tank to the next one up with out training then played a match and was complying about not being able to hit anything at all with a 90% crew.  We thot it was funny when he ask us about it..... :lol:

hpearson #15 Posted Jul 18 2011 - 09:00

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 1527 battles
aaa

montanakennedy #16 Posted Jul 18 2011 - 14:44

Captain

• Players
  • 17564 battles

View PostNecrolegion, on Jul 18 2011 - 04:38, said:

I am having a lot of trouble avoiding team kills. I keep getting them on SPGs which net me zero earnings, well unless I get a +1 or more kill(s). Still even for making up for the -1 I make less than half from a victory. I just killed a team mate right now as I was trying to kill an enemy, he got in the way of the incoming fire and boom!
My only TK was exactly this. I was on the arty platform above the south base on Mountain Pass. I launched a shot to hear "We shot our own guy!" or whatever the audio is. I popped out of Godmode and saw the burning hulk of a TD about 15 yards from me in a direct path to the target.

Simple ballistics - You are up high, target is down low. Shell is fired at a much lower angle than usual - not lobbed. I am guessing that I had sent 3-4 shots inches above this guys head before tagging him. :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users