Infantry in World of Tanks

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
46 replies to this topic

Poll: Infantry in Game (126 members have cast votes)

Where would you like Infantry in Wargaming?

1. With World of Tanks. Tanks worked in conjunction with the soldiers, and it gives light tanks another speciality. (83 votes [65.87%])

Percentage of vote: 65.87%

2. In a seperate game (43 votes [34.13%])

Percentage of vote: 34.13%

Would Infantry be a good idea.

1. Yes (87 votes [69.05%])

Percentage of vote: 69.05%

2. no (but still read the article please) (39 votes [30.95%])

Percentage of vote: 30.95%

How do you think I did with gameplay idea?

1. Those are great ideas! (27 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

2. Nice! (26 votes [20.63%])

Percentage of vote: 20.63%

3. I like this topic (37 votes [29.37%])

Percentage of vote: 29.37%

4. I did not like it. Here are my reasons.... (36 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

Vote Hide poll

Dr_Mobius #1 Posted Jul 19 2011 - 08:40

Major

• Players
  • 19720 battles
I heard people tank about a World of Infantry, but I would like it to stick with world of tanks. Here I have a tech tree, and I will explain what the infantry can do, and how the tanks can adapt.

General Infantry Game Mechanics:Infantry works differently. One controls only a single tank. For infantry, you control a whole platoon. You view the map in battle as if it was a Real Time Strategy game (or like in Spore Creature Stage where the other men follow your avatar. You can tell me how you like it to be.) The battle starts, and you click anywhere on the field you want your men to go. You can even divide your group to different location. Your platoon (of about 20 men) will be highlighted in any colour of choice so you don't confuse your me with another person's. After positioning your men, you can change to attack mode. You meerly click on the tank (or enemy platoon) you want to attack, and the men do the rest. No need to aim. In fact, you can chose to fight in full attack mode, or in cautious attack mode. Full Attack mode allows your men to open fire and dish out as much damage as they can. Cautious attack mode allows your men to deal as much damage as they can while still avoiding enemy fire and looking out for hidden tanks.

Tech Tree and Equipment Mechanics Here is the tech tree:Posted Image

This is just in general, but you get the picture (literally!). Now, the upgrades work out like a single tank's upgrade tree rather than the tank tree with several different tanks. You research a tool and you can give it to your men. The game can automatically divide the different tools with the men if you want equal power. Otherwise, you can manually specialize your men to a certain skill, like anti-tank or anti-infantry. You can also equip your team with transport. Its dreadful enough driving slowly, never mind running. NOW, noticing the first vehicle is tier IV, it can be irritating to fight in a tier VI battle with no ride. That's why men can ride on tanks! WEEE!!! During a battle, you can hop aboard a tank to get to where you need to go, understanding that it's another player who's dictating your destination. Now, for you tankers, any infantry hopping on your tank will not affect the performance of your tank in any way. It will be like your tank having hair, it won't be a bother. In fact, men riding on your tank INCREASES your overall self defense. A tank destroyer is deadly if it has a bazookateer riding on the back and aiming behind it. If you buy grenades (which will require no research), you can hop onto an ENEMY tank and plop a grenade in the hatch if you have not unlocked any antitank weaponry.

Tank Adaptations Now, you tankers, you probably wet yourselves after reading,"a tank destroyer is deadly if it has a bazookateer riding on the back and aiming behind it." But don't worry. Tanks will get their share of upgrades to defend themselves against soldiers. Tanks will be fitted with a machine gun & you can research a flamethrower as well. Enemy tanks with soldiers crawling all over them can be easily hosed by a friendly machine gun to get rid of those pests without having a hole blown through your hull.

New Game Play for Light Tanks in High Tier Battles Light tanks were made to support and kill infantry. Infantry can be an even more dangerous for high tiered heavies than even artillery can because infantry can come out of nowhere in shear numbers!!! THIS is when light tanks can help. If a group of heavies is being held up by 1-2 platoons (very dangerous if properly armed!), a light tank can rush behind them and hose them with a machine gun. Light tanks can also supply fast, easy, and free transport for soldiers. Speed also keeps enemy soldiers form climbing onto your tank to grenadify you! No more suicide scouting! YAY!!!!!

If you have any questions, or if you would like me to add more, just state your idea, and I will post it as soon as possible!

Cheshire_Cat #2 Posted Jul 19 2011 - 08:46

Corporal

• Players
  • 2152 battles
http://img810.images...71/lolwutjk.jpg

kodern #3 Posted Jul 19 2011 - 10:04

Sergeant

• Players
  • 6756 battles
This is what I've always wanted. World of Infantry its really original I've never seen a game where you get to be infantry its always planes and tanks.

diesturmtiger #4 Posted Jul 19 2011 - 10:21

Captain

• Players
  • 9098 battles
That gives those scouts something to do in city maps(hosing out enemy soldiers). I wonder if infantry can cap base?

Luftfaust #5 Posted Jul 19 2011 - 10:42

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 20171 battles
I think infantry could be a good addition but only if it doesn't really change the game play. I think they should be more like scenery then anything and only AI, not playable.

Luffwaffle #6 Posted Jul 19 2011 - 10:42

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 6863 battles
A minigun??? Did you fail 5th grade history???

Mowie #7 Posted Jul 19 2011 - 11:08

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 5514 battles
The reason why Wot works is because it is tanks only.

del1000886538 #8 Posted Jul 19 2011 - 11:18

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 1125 battles
Really?You never played any Battlefield games then.ie:BF1942/BF2/BF3 soon.They have all those.Bots AND real players.And,a multitude of mods/servers.

Imaginary_Star #9 Posted Jul 19 2011 - 11:30

Sergeant

• Players
  • 8282 battles
I actually thought of having infantry on the maps as a sort of "dynamic scenery". Them fighting it out with each other, without having any effect on the tanks. Purely to make the game more lively and battle-like. But that entails much technical issues, plus would bump up the age rating.
So.. eh.

Archie_Bunker #10 Posted Jul 19 2011 - 11:42

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 19854 battles
  • [GS904] GS904
Lag.

Dr_Mobius #11 Posted Jul 19 2011 - 12:08

Major

• Players
  • 19720 battles
The minigun was designed in the late 50s-60's, same time the Russian and American tier 8+ tanks were developed

Eliminateur #12 Posted Jul 19 2011 - 12:48

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 15719 battles
no, don't like the diea, it would completely ruin the game.
if you want to have infantry and tanks go play BF*, wot right now is spiffy and bullshitish enough as it is without adding BS infantry shooting molotovs at your T10 tank and killing it...
noone wants their T9/10 tank ruined by some dork with a bazooka hiding in a bush completely undetected.

so no matter how good the idea/theory you put, infantry has no place in WoT

Green_Ghost #13 Posted Jul 21 2011 - 09:55

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 39356 battles
  • [RAYGE] RAYGE
I think they should add crew members that are visible in the open topped tanks and have option of putting your commander in the cupola and have him actually increase  your detection.  either way they said infantry is going to come, hopefully just as spotters or ai in the pill boxes.  Driving arty around or open topped tanks gives a maximum overdrive machines come alive type of feel instead of true WWII  thats just imo

Eliminateur #14 Posted Jul 21 2011 - 15:10

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 15719 battles
they actually said "infantry IS NOT going to come", it's in one of the interviews with WG CEO.
they're not gonna add visible crewmembers for the time being(which means like 2 years in real life for wot) as the game needs a huge ton of optimization(multicore computing, hello?) before that

Destroyer_Atlanta #15 Posted Jul 26 2011 - 15:17

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 19905 battles
I think it would be a good idea at some point but before that happens better game engine retooling needs to be done and at some point WoWP and WoBS will be out and the devs plan on turning all three into one game (hopefully as an option)so infantry would just complete the full WW II battlefield experience at that point.
Edit: would be like a non retarded battlefield europe which has going on 15-20 year old game engine and graphics and the high command structure would be missing as well.

BeingBadNotBeingGood #16 Posted Jul 26 2011 - 17:11

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 9808 battles
Do not want to see infantry trying to destroy my tank! After playing Men of War, I am scared of AT grenades as one of them can disable almost any tank and AT grenades don't have fuses, they are impact grenades.

Jiri_Starrider #17 Posted Jul 26 2011 - 17:46

Major

• Players
  • 7565 battles
  • [TB] TB
World of TANKS

Great ideas, just shouldn't be in THIS game.

For the mini gun naysayers the "heavy" (non mini) would actually come first for the Western powers and be in period as the Vulcan 20mm was designed in 1946. Problem being it was developed for aircraft use. The actual mini 7.62x51 wasn't developed until 1962, out of period. The Russians would have one in both mini and non mini with the Slostin 7.62x54 and 14.5x114 guns, just post WWII. Either way, there is as much "support" for their inclusion as there is for many of the tanks already in game.

But... World of TANKS

Maybe some year we will see a combined arms game along these lines from Wargaming, but for now tanks should fight tanks.

doom44 #18 Posted Jul 26 2011 - 17:50

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 3138 battles
I think it is WoT. Not World of Tanks and Infantry, but I would like to see people loading the guns in TDs and SPGs. You know what I mean?

BeingBadNotBeingGood #19 Posted Jul 26 2011 - 19:16

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 9808 battles

View Postdoom44, on Jul 26 2011 - 17:50, said:

I think it is WoT. Not World of Tanks and Infantry, but I would like to see people loading the guns in TDs and SPGs. You know what I mean?
I concur, but infantry armed with AT grenades and rocket launchers, do not want.

vonTielbur #20 Posted Jul 26 2011 - 21:16

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 7437 battles
There's several options out there already that allow for infantry to fight against tanks and vice versa.

I play this game because I like TANK warfare, I like fighting other tanks... not having to spend an entire map running from stupid squishy players with a stupid satchel charge or boom stick.

RO, WWIIOL, pick one if you want combined arms. But I will stop paying good money the day they force me to stop fighting tanks and run from a stick man with a portable bomb.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users