Commander_Jay #1 Posted Apr 07 2016 - 05:56

Sergeant

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 30900 battles
  • [FCF] FCF

Review for the  Turán III prototipus

By Commander_Jay

Here's the short review:
The Turan III is a good tank!  It has a very good gun, and high hitpoints, so it can rack up some serious damage.  And its turret armor has some great angles, so many shots ricochet right off it (auto bounce angles are amazing!).  Its speed and view range are both a little low, but easy to deal with.  Remember its low ammo count of 32 rounds, in a good game that may be the only thing that stops you.  I really like this tank!

And now some longer notes if you want to know more!  The Turan III makes a great premium medium, which is a tank class I enjoy, especially the good guns.  Having high hitpoints and a great gun for its tier makes the Turan a powerful tank.  A few other premium mediums have hitpoints this high, but the Turan has the best gun out of all of them, giving it a distinct advantage.  I'd even use it for tournaments, which is a saying a lot.  It can outshoot an M4 Sherman, and have hitpoints left over even if both tanks just slug it out.

I equip my Turan III with Binoculars, Gun Rammer, and Ventilation. I used a four skill crew, with performance affected by Sixth Sense, full Camouflage, Brothers in Arms, and some other small details like snap shot, smooth ride, and off road driving.

The more in depth details:

• Comparing the Turan III to other tier 5 medium tanks, the Turan III has good gun stats, with DPM that is pretty high (although not as high at the T-34, who stands above the other tier 5s). Also good accuracy, aim speed, and gun depression. Average accuracy on the move.  And it has the fastest aim speed!
  • High hitpoints. Only other premiums, like the German T-25, have a little more. Having 90 to 120 more HP than other tier 5s makes a very big difference. That's another shot from most 75mm guns, maybe two shots.  This can be huge in competitive or close games!
  • View range is short, at only 330m, but fair for a premium tank.  Bring Binoculars, or don't rely on long spotting ranges.
  • The Turan has okay penetration, some mediums are better, but it's adequate.
  • Low ammo count, only 32 rounds, where other medium tanks have between 50 and 100 rounds.  This may be the Turan's biggest drawback.  Shoot carefully or you may end the game with no ammo for the last enemy tanks!
  • Speed is okay, a little low, but good enough.  The Turan is light weight (23 tons in a tier where other good mediums range from 23 to 33).  While it's maybe the slowest medium, it never felt too slow.  So the speed is adequate.
  • The whole Turan III is a little small, which gives it an often unmentioned advantage as more shots will miss it.
  • The Turan III's armor will be especially effective against tier 4 and 3 tanks, allowing it to rampage through tanks with weak guns.  Of course against tier 6 and 7 tanks it's armor might not bounce anything.
  • Last, perhaps a secret that I should not share because then everyone would know, but that's kind of the point of me writing this.  The Turan III's turret has 75mm of armor on the front face, and 60mm on the commander's hatch. But it's built like a 3 layer cake. The largest bottom layer is the normal turret, with its 75mm front. Small sides will be auto bounce angles from guns shooting from the front.  The second layer of the cake is the middle, and it's armor is so steeply sloped it will also automatically bounce shells fired at you from the front!  On the top is the commander's hatch, and it is round and only 60mm thick, making it fairly vulnerable; but it is a small target.  I think the Turan III's turret will prove to be more effective than its cousins, the Pz IV H and the T-25.
    Here's the Turan III's turret: http://imgur.com/XvSPlZr
    Note the relatively large areas that can not be penetrated, compared to nearly every tier 5.  These auto bounce areas have 35mm of armor, so they won't work against shells with a caliber of 105mm or more.  Luckily uncommon at tier 5.

Comparing the Turan III to similar tanks:

Compared to the Pz IV H.  These two tanks feel very alike.  The Pz IV H. has its cool spaced armor, and they have the same DPM, but the Turan III has a little better accuracy and aim speed!
Compared to the German T-25, the other tier 5 German premium medium.  The Turan has a little more DPM, accuracy, aim speed, and accuracy on the move.  The Turan is a little slower, with less horsepower, and a top speed of 40 rather than 60 kph.  The Turan has 40 less hitpoints.

So the Turan is the better shooter up close or long range. But the T-25 is faster and has more HP.  They could use those differences, but they could also be used in similar ways.  I prefer the Turan as it's a better fighter, but if you like moving around the map a lot, the T-25 might be your tank.

Last, if you're wondering why this random person is reviewing a tank, let me introduce myself!

Hi, I'm Commander_Jay!  I haven't been too active on the forums, but I've been playing World of Tanks since the beginning.  I specialize in reviewing things with an eye for details, which has helped me participate in many events.  I have played in hundreds of WoT tournaments, ever since they first came out!  I've even played in every season of the professional league, the WGLNA; and I've set numerous records, even a first place finish a personal MVP award.  I currently play for Rival Simple Tankers.  I also teach World of Tanks, and help players and teams compete in events, like weekly tournaments.

So with that in mind, here's my review of a new tank, the Turán III prototipus!

If you want to reach me, message me here, or in game, or tweet at me @TheCommanderJay

Edited by Commander_Jay, Aug 10 2016 - 21:22.

The_Goblin_King #2 Posted Apr 07 2016 - 06:09

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 48217 battles
  • [NZ] NZ
Nice review. I bought one for my collection of tanks and have no regrets. It's a fun tank that won't sit in the garage gathering dust.

Guest_jag314_* #3 Posted Apr 07 2016 - 07:15

LUV THAT TANK!!

ledhed14 #4 Posted Apr 07 2016 - 08:39

Major

• Players
  • 14491 battles
  • [_SOA_] _SOA_
I really like it more than I expected . The lack of ammo storage is my only complaint .

Urdr #5 Posted Apr 07 2016 - 10:43

Major

• Players
  • 50030 battles
  • [BRU2L] BRU2L
That turret dou S:

murdockwan #6 Posted Apr 07 2016 - 11:25

Captain

• Players
  • 25618 battles
  • [CNCRD] CNCRD

View PostCommander_Jay, on Apr 07 2016 - 04:56, said:

Review for the  Turán III prototipus

By Commander_Jay

repped for the good review. hope you keep em coming...

Hans_Gruber_3 #7 Posted Apr 07 2016 - 13:27

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 2035 battles
Thanks a lot for the detailed review. It's a little odd that I don't see more discussions about this very affordable Tier V premium tank.

I personally found the tank to be playable but awkward, yet I think it teaches you a lot about the game.

I will fully agree on the gun, its accuracy and its aim time. It's amazing what you can hit with it. Combined with the decent gun depression the tank is wonderful for fighting over terrain. While the DPM is not that high on paper, it will hit a lot of its shots.

You described its speed as "good enough". I would say it is good enough in some situations. If you want to climb the hill with the other mediums from the south spawn in Westfield, it may not be good enough. This is pretty much true on many open maps.
The low view range means that you shouldn't scout as a general rule. This ultimately confused some of my teams which expected a small medium to scout.

This always forced me to decide at the beginning of each game on whether I could go flank with the mediums, hang with the heavies, or simply find a hull down sniping position still in the vincinity of the rest of my team. I can't as easily flex in it as I can in my other mediums.

Brawling in the city is okay as long as you shoot from the 2nd line. It doesn't have the peek-a-boom option of the Pz IV H, and its turret rotation is mediocre. This tank can be easily flanked or circled

I never found the ammo capacity to be a problem because I missed very few shots.

Overall the biggest advantage of this tank is its lovely gun, the biggest detriment are the lack of speed and view range, making medium and lower tier play on open maps very tricky.

IndygoEEI #8 Posted Apr 07 2016 - 23:27

Major

• Players
  • 62051 battles
  • [K-H] K-H

The tank is a pretty good tank (Note: Most of the time I am conservative on rating tanks most

of the time).  The only problem is the same one everyone has and that's it's ammo count...

Smiguow #9 Posted Apr 14 2016 - 00:01

Private

• Players
  • 35666 battles
  • [FNB] FNB
how much pen he got iy > 

_BattleshipKaiser_ #10 Posted Apr 14 2016 - 03:22

Sergeant

• Players
  • 16535 battles
  • [-MOE-] -MOE-

GG WG.
let a player who just played 3 game with turan III write a report. so pro.

Commander_Jay #11 Posted Apr 14 2016 - 05:05

Sergeant

• 30900 battles
  • [FCF] FCF

Hey Battleship, while that's not especially helpful, I'll make a couple of points.  First, anyone can write a review.  I think World of Tanks liked mine because it was thorough, quite detailed, and comes from a professional player with thousands of battles played in tier 5 tanks, and thousands more in tournaments that are not listed in the stat section.

I believe 3 public games is enough to review a tank.  (This number does not include training rooms, or anything spent on super test accounts, etc).  Since I'm basing the review off my experience in thousands of games played, and the tank's performance I can do that in a few games.  I scrutinized every aspect of the tank, even down to small armor angles, terrain resistance, and all three movement based dispersion penalties.  And with my experience I only need one game to be sure.  But a few games is better, so I can make sure my statements are correct after using the tank on several different maps.  You'll find no stone unturned, and if there's any concern with the review, I welcome the discussion.

Smiguow #12 Posted Apr 14 2016 - 12:26

Private

• Players
  • 35666 battles
  • [FNB] FNB
HOW MUCH [edited]PEN THE GUN HAVE !!!!!!

DiePanzerGeist #13 Posted Apr 14 2016 - 14:46

Major

• -Players-
  • 7211 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6
Its a decent tank, not a great one...but I like the way it plays not too fast, not too slow with a accurate gun and good pen for its tier.

Commander_Jay #14 Posted Apr 14 2016 - 17:47

Sergeant

• 30900 battles
  • [FCF] FCF

Smiguow, it has 113mm of pen for its normal shells, 160mm for its premium, and 38mm for its HE.

Any time you can't see a tank's stats in game, check out the wiki, or other sites, like Tanks.GG
Turan's direct link is here (and you can even click on the modules for more details):  http://tanks.gg/wot/tank/turn-iii-pt

darkstar_99 #15 Posted Apr 14 2016 - 23:17

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 7177 battles
  • [IDG] IDG
Thanks for the review, I just got one several hours ago, lots of fun so far ( just wish it was a bit faster ) . Ammo storage no problem, I usually am killed after I fire 10 rounds or so ( and if I'm lucky I hit the enemy ! ) . A small  potent package .

F0R_M07H3R_RU5514 #16 Posted Nov 02 2017 - 12:36

Major

• Players
  • 52284 battles
  • [ALERT] ALERT
Necro-bump, as this went on sale this week.

tanopasman62 #17 Posted Nov 02 2017 - 16:24

Major

• -Players-
  • 21434 battles
  • [_ADP_] _ADP_

Good review, a friend won this tank from the houses, I won a Grosstraktor instead.

View PostCommander_Jay, on Apr 07 2016 - 05:56, said:

Compared to the Pz IV H.  These two tanks feel very alike.  The Pz IV H. has its cool spaced armor, and they have the same DPM, but the Turan III has a little better accuracy and aim speed!

The Turan can get up to 3k+ DPM?, what kind of OP monstruosity is that? :P

View Post_BattleshipKaiser_, on Apr 14 2016 - 03:22, said:

GG WG.
let a player who just played 3 game with turan III write a report. so pro.

God forbid people make a review of their first impressions of a tank.

coachbfgi #18 Posted Nov 02 2017 - 17:08

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 57918 battles
  • [CSCAV] CSCAV
I have it, need to get a better crew in it, but its a nice tank

I_Die_Much #19 Posted Nov 03 2017 - 14:40

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 9111 battles

Won this tank three times from tank hollow (2 on this account and on my main). Figured this would be just one of many premiums I own that have not been played, but thanks to the review and FMR’s necro bump yesterday. I was compelled to try it out this morning.

Im not sure how I feel about the premium. While I did fair in each of the two battles with a no perk crew, the tank didn’t feel any special. 

The reticle took forever to shrink, even with GLD. Rate of fire was decent/good. Mobility, well I won’t be circling many things I think. Seems like a fairly avg tank, which isn’t a bad thing with WG’s knack for shelling out gimmicky or powerful premiums these days. 

If given the chance to try before I buy, I personally wouldn’t have bought this. But, I’m not really a medium tank player or like to play anything lower than tier 7. So that has a degree of influence of why I wouldn’t.

_Brew_ #20 Posted Nov 03 2017 - 16:07

Major

• Players
  • 24268 battles
  • [HARM] HARM
Got one free from October tankrewards.  Haven't played it, but one thing I noticed in the stats is that it doesn't get to carry a whole heck of a lot of ammo.  It needs ammo capacity increased, I can see running out in matches being a regular issue.

Also tagged with Turan, Review, WGLNA, Turan III, Commander_Jay

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users