I thought the Panther 2 was the most powerful Panther variant :unsure:

Jagdpanther II would like a word with both :D

Paul_1986 #22 Posted Apr 11 2016 - 03:28

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9018 battles

How about Players' stats of the Panther 8,8

Win Rate: 46.45% (63/65 Tier 8s)

Average DMG per game: 893.62 (57/65 Tier 8's)

Average WN8 per game: 990.56 (63/65 Tier 8's)

I don't think any guide is going to fix those stats anytime. The tank is inherently bad, its not good, it was not balanced at all before it was released. Yet going by available stats it is quite possibly the worst performing teir 8 (premium or non-premium) behind maybe Kanonenjagdpanzer it continues to be ignored while other tanks are being reviewed for a buff.

Metagross555 #23 Posted Apr 11 2016 - 03:34

Captain

• -Players-
  • 29524 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN

Kanonenjadgpanzer > panther 8.8

kanonen at least has camo and speed

lbgsloan #24 Posted Apr 11 2016 - 03:49

Major

• Players
  • 21116 battles

Threadly reminder that this tank was so bad they had to cut the price significantly and give people a refund on the difference.  For reference WG has never permanently lowered the price on a premium tank, as far as I can remember.

They should just delete it and give everyone who bought it the Mutz as compensation, which completely outclasses it.

BluntedBaboon #25 Posted Apr 11 2016 - 05:30

Sergeant

• Players
  • 23782 battles
  • [AOG2] AOG2

Lol WG tell people your best strategy with this tank is to sit on the second or third line, snipe and run away quickly because your slow. Sounds like something is wrong with the tank if that is your best option.

I love my Panther 8.8 and do extremely well it in most of the times. The highest I reached was 91% for MoE and I stopped caring about it to play so safe. And I play it nothing like they say to do. Panther in a T8 game can brawl no problem. T9 flank and shoot for a bit and move in to support team when they are low HP to help bring targets down. T10 is about the only time I suggest bush camping, and it better be one off to the flank if you plan to pen, then roll in and support towards end again always.

You can still roll with the regular medium pack if you want to and let them get shot first in any scenario if you don't suck at shooting. 1500 HP is being shot 4-7 times normally so you do have some HP to share. My reload is 5.7 seconds so I can bring the hurt down and hold a choke area with 1 or 2 others easily. Bush camping from a distance and they never even spot you.

I do enjoy the Mutz a lot more though, I ended up purchasing it after renting it for a few days. 

Soloviceus #26 Posted Apr 11 2016 - 05:32

Sergeant

• Players
  • 25224 battles

Damn, people.  Everything is a trade off.  

Sure the armor isn't good and the mobility is frustrating.  But it has the fastest firing and the most accurate gun among the tier 8 premiums mediums.......

Did you really expect it to have the best armor and mobility as well?  

Horribad_At_Tanks #27 Posted Apr 11 2016 - 07:26

Major

• Players
  • 2268 battles

View PostBasshebeth, on Apr 10 2016 - 20:30, said:

I don't see the problem you all are talking about, I had this thing 3 marked in under one hundred battles doing over 2k per battle average with ease..

Congratulations. You are a statistical anomaly and do not in any way represent how the tank performs for everyone else.

View PostSoloviceus, on Apr 10 2016 - 23:32, said:

Sure the armor isn't good and the mobility is frustrating.  But it has the fastest firing and the most accurate gun among the tier 8 premiums mediums.......

No we do not expect it to have the best armour and mobility. However the tank it's based on has fairly crappy armour and mobility to begin with and they nerfed it even more for the gain of a tiny bit more rof and gun handling over the panther 2. The russian premiums based off tech tree tanks have no nerfs to anything but lots of general buffs to make them better than elite whilst the p88 is undeniably worse than an elite p2 in every way past the gun. Also the t-34-85 and IS are already considered top tanks for their class and tier whilst the panther 2 is easily best contender for worst tier 8 medium so they buff the rudy and is-2b to better than elite but nerf the p88 to worse than elite of an already poor tank? Dafuq kind of balance is that? :sceptic:

Verblonde #28 Posted Apr 11 2016 - 13:44

Major

• -Players-
  • 17996 battles
  • [FUNTB] FUNTB
I rather like the P8.8 so far; sure, there are plenty of better Tier VIII premiums, but they have different play styles to this (in terms of what you pay for it, I think the closest is Super Pershing and you'll struggle to find a more different medium). Short version: P8.8 provides a bit of variety and forces one to learn a different play style.

From the perspective of a pretty useless player, I don't suck any worse than usual in the P8.8...

Plus, as mentioned previously, it makes a splendid trainer for your regular German mediums.

ListigerWolf84 #29 Posted Apr 11 2016 - 14:56

Corporal

• Players
  • 12380 battles
The Panther/M10 is better. >< Some tanks don't need PMM but some do. The P/M10 could do fine without, but the P8.8 needs it. Just like the FMC 50 tons of love, could do without the PMM ><

Dunfalach #30 Posted Apr 11 2016 - 15:10

Major

• Players
  • 18752 battles
  • [S-F] S-F

View PostSoloviceus, on Apr 10 2016 - 23:32, said:

I think part of the issue is that flexibility is strongly desired in high tier mediums right now so that they can save the day in whatever role needed when a team is failing, and the Panther 8.8 is really more of a single-role tank that suffers anytime its team isn't behaving in a way that enables its role to be effective.

If your team can hold a line, then you can sit there and let your meh alpha add up. My first match in the Panther 8.8 was back on the old version of Redshire when the Panther 8.8 was released, and the enemy let me sit in one spot on the hill the entire match and spot and shoot 10 or more tanks all exposing their side to me in the north. I walked away with 4,995 damage dealt and I don't remember how much spotting damage. Never had a match that good since, but it proved that there is potential if the enemy will sit still and let you shoot them for long enough.

But if your team can't hold a line...you lack the armor to go up front to hold it, lack the alpha to intimidate enemies into hiding to hold it, and lack the mobility to escape unless you can leave well before the flank falls. Once the enemy catches up to you, you lack the mobility, alpha and armor all three to fight close range duels with competing mediums, and the un-intimidating alpha doesn't discourage them from getting in close. It's not really equipped to be effective in a collapsing team situation the way other more flexible mediums can be.

Verblonde #31 Posted Apr 11 2016 - 15:56

Major

• -Players-
  • 17996 battles
  • [FUNTB] FUNTB
One way to view the thing is kind of like a Tier VIII Tie Fighter (Pz IV S)...

Apropos the Panther M10 - I would love to add one of these to my account; shame they're only rarely available now.

sanbaofan #32 Posted Apr 11 2016 - 17:00

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 29978 battles
  • [FIXX] FIXX

View PostPaul_1986, on Apr 11 2016 - 02:28, said:

How about Players' stats of the Panther 8,8

Win Rate: 46.45% (63/65 Tier 8s)

Average DMG per game: 893.62 (57/65 Tier 8's)

Average WN8 per game: 990.56 (63/65 Tier 8's)

I don't think any guide is going to fix those stats anytime. The tank is inherently bad, its not good, it was not balanced at all before it was released. Yet going by available stats it is quite possibly the worst performing teir 8 (premium or non-premium) behind maybe Kanonenjagdpanzer it continues to be ignored while other tanks are being reviewed for a buff.

Panther is popular tank.  I think a lot of new players who want to play the Tiger, Panther, and other famous tanks - they would purchase this tank in a heartbeat.  Bad player stats do not mean bad tank.  Feel like 8.8 and CDC are one of those high learning curve tanks.  Where as IS6 and JT88 were a little bit noob friendly.  

I'll be honest I was one of those tomatoes who purchased a Lowe thinking "HELL YEA GERMAN SNIPER HEAVY TANK!!!!"  I'm going to drive around the battlefield b/c I'm an unstoppable German Heavy... took a while to learn NOT to play like a noob lol

Paul_1986 #33 Posted Apr 11 2016 - 17:45

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9018 battles

View Postsanbaofan, on Apr 11 2016 - 17:00, said:

Panther is popular tank.  I think a lot of new players who want to play the Tiger, Panther, and other famous tanks - they would purchase this tank in a heartbeat.  Bad player stats do not mean bad tank.  Feel like 8.8 and CDC are one of those high learning curve tanks.  Where as IS6 and JT88 were a little bit noob friendly.  

I'll be honest I was one of those tomatoes who purchased a Lowe thinking "HELL YEA GERMAN SNIPER HEAVY TANK!!!!"  I'm going to drive around the battlefield b/c I'm an unstoppable German Heavy... took a while to learn NOT to play like a noob lol

No, its always been this way. The performance stats have been virtually unchanged since the tank was released. 

Both the Lowe and AMX CDC are performing much better than the P88.

Edited by Paul_1986, Apr 11 2016 - 17:45.

sanbaofan #34 Posted Apr 11 2016 - 18:34

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 29978 battles
  • [FIXX] FIXX

View PostPaul_1986, on Apr 11 2016 - 16:45, said:

No, its always been this way. The performance stats have been virtually unchanged since the tank was released. 

Both the Lowe and AMX CDC are performing much better than the P88.

don't get me wrong - I happily face 8.8's in a KR or a SP - and tear it to pieces.  But if you manage to stay further away from the battle and keep that gun firing - its still a solid tank.  It definitely fits the glass TD playstyle much more than the brawling flanking mediums of the soviets.

FireShorts #35 Posted Apr 13 2016 - 01:16

Corporal

• Players
  • 11328 battles

I bought the Panther 8,8 as my first tier 8 premium about a month after it came out. It was always a pretty "meh" premium and once the Mutz came out, I hugely regretted the purchase and still wish I could trade for the other, especially since I'm doing the Leopard line and haven't touched the E50 line (the former of which the Mutz is a better crew trainer for).

It's not a terrible tank at it's own tier but it struggles in tier 9 matches and is absolutely useless in tier 10 games (which it sees a LOT of). You really do have to take this thing far back on the map, not so much because of it's terrible armor but rather the abysmal gun depression and mediocre acceleration which I find myself struggling against incredibly often. I feel as if it would be so much more competitive/less frustrating if it had the full 8 degrees of gun depression across the front like pretty much all the other German mediums and had a slightly more punchy engine/acceleration.

If you can somehow get the gun singing it becomes an absolute DPM monster but finding a position (or matchmaking) where you can actually do that is the real challenge with the Panther 8,8.

tl;dr: I wish I'd bought a Mutz instead. Don't buy this thing unless you try it out as a rental first or you REALLY need an E50M crew trainer.

Edited by FireShorts, Apr 13 2016 - 01:19.

__Tec__ #36 Posted Apr 13 2016 - 16:05

Captain

• Players
  • 38998 battles
I truly hate they call this tank a sniper.  While it does well at range, it does equally well played second line as immediate heavy support to apply damage while heavies reload.  I guess my real problem isn't calling it a sniper, it's the way most people think an accurate gun means they must sit 400 meters away to use it.

cgralphy #37 Posted Apr 14 2016 - 02:24

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 19039 battles

I like this tank but..... it does get outperformed by other tanks easier even at its own tier

Horribad_At_Tanks #38 Posted Apr 15 2016 - 18:31

Major

• Players
  • 2268 battles
My biggest gripe isn't so much about the tank though it could use a buff to frontal depression at the minimum it's the fact it seems to be considered a heavy tank by the mm and I'm often looking at a heavy tank on the other team as the match to my medium. To say the least getting an is3 or t32 or any of the tier 8 heavies for that matter as the opposite for your p88 is not good for the outcome and it shows as you simply can't fill the role of a heavy in any situation.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users