AFK -> Sentinel mode

AFK

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Poll: AFK -> Sentinel mode? (20 members have cast votes)

You have to complete 100 battles in order to participate this poll.

Would you want an AFK player to automatically go into sentinel mode where it at least shoots back at enemies it can see?

1. Yes (7 votes [35.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 35.00%

2. No (13 votes [65.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 65.00%

Vote Hide poll

TigerRabbit #1 Posted Apr 12 2016 - 18:08

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 23820 battles

Lately there have been a LOT of AFK people. Now I understand it is just a game, sometimes something happens that requires you to walk away from your computer... but it basically makes your tank useless to the team... people get angry and it detracts from the game.

So I would like to see where if no input is detected (keyboard/mouse) for say 30 seconds... the tank goes into sentinel mode... it won't move, but it will shoot back at anything in sight. It will get a special icon above it (for the friendly team only) that allows people to see it went sentinel and use its position to an advantage.

When in sentinel mode.. the player in sentinel mode gets 0 xp and 0 credits for it... otherwise it's botting galore. (So they lose credits on ammo and repairs anyways... as a detractor for using this to gain xp) Also if the sentinel system kicks in 'too often' (say 3x a day, for more than a minute) you are now auto banned. This gets rid of the botters.

Thoughts?

Edited by TigerRabbit, Apr 12 2016 - 18:19.

DiePanzerGeist #2 Posted Apr 12 2016 - 18:09

Major

• -Players-
  • 7211 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6
Its would just legitimize and promote botting i/m/h/o.

Edited by DiePanzerGeist, Apr 12 2016 - 18:13.

venom286 #3 Posted Apr 12 2016 - 18:10

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 33782 battles
thats a great idea but yea it would just be like botting people would leave all the time and start matches and not even play 

TanklessMouse5 #4 Posted Apr 12 2016 - 18:13

Major

• Players
  • 26420 battles
  • [ANVIL] ANVIL
Arty can always see everything. This makes arty aim at me more. Pls no.

TigerRabbit #5 Posted Apr 12 2016 - 18:18

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 23820 battles

View PostDiePanzerGeist, on Apr 12 2016 - 09:09, said:

Its would just legitimize and promote botting i/m/h/o.

Care to elaborate how? You would lose an insane amount of credits and get 0 xp for it. I should add a clause regarding AFKing being detected and if done 'too much' auto ban.

DiePanzerGeist #6 Posted Apr 12 2016 - 18:21

Major

• -Players-
  • 7211 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

View PostTigerRabbit, on Apr 12 2016 - 12:18, said:

Care to elaborate how? You would lose an insane amount of credits and get 0 xp for it. I should add a clause regarding AFKing being detected and if done 'too much' auto ban.

Simple...it would be WG doing the botters work for them, all they would have to do is enter a match and the tank would shoot all by itself at anything that approached...and as far as "You would lose an insane amount of credits and get 0 xp for it", isn't that pretty much the model they follow already?

TigerRabbit #7 Posted Apr 12 2016 - 18:26

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 23820 battles

View PostDiePanzerGeist, on Apr 12 2016 - 09:21, said:

Simple...it would be WG doing the botters work for them, all they would have to do is enter a match and the tank would shoot all by itself at anything that approached...and as far as "You would lose an insane amount of credits and get 0 xp for it", isn't that pretty much the model they follow already?

If you play you can make credits easily. Losing this amount of credits would result in a 30-40k loss per battle in Tier 8 and up... no-one is going to sustain that for a long time. Currently you mostly see bots in tier 1-4 because you don't lose that amount of money, I hardly see botting in Tier 8 and up because of this reason... you would bleed credits like crazy. AFK happens a lot in higher tiers, due to something happening that requires them to talk away from the computer for a couple minutes, and having 1 or 2 top-tier tanks AFK in your team pretty much loses you the battle (provided MM is balanced)

alexanderme #8 Posted Apr 12 2016 - 18:34

Major

• Players
  • 22112 battles

Now what if a dead player could take over an AFK tank :P

That would be pretty fun

Blackhorse_Six_ #9 Posted Apr 12 2016 - 18:42

Major

• Players
  • 45056 battles
  • [HHT] HHT

View PostTigerRabbit, on Apr 12 2016 - 12:08, said:

Thoughts?

View Postalexanderme, on Apr 12 2016 - 12:34, said:

Now what if a dead player could take over an AFK tank :P

That would be pretty fun

There are good reasons why I might be AFK / Disconn ...

The whines of internet children are the least of my concerns ...

Nor do I have to justify those absences to you ...

Keep your goddamn mitts off my cartoon tank.

DiePanzerGeist #10 Posted Apr 12 2016 - 18:44

Major

• -Players-
  • 7211 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

View PostTigerRabbit, on Apr 12 2016 - 12:26, said:

If you play you can make credits easily. Losing this amount of credits would result in a 30-40k loss per battle in Tier 8 and up... no-one is going to sustain that for a long time. Currently you mostly see bots in tier 1-4 because you don't lose that amount of money, I hardly see botting in Tier 8 and up because of this reason... you would bleed credits like crazy. AFK happens a lot in higher tiers, due to something happening that requires them to talk away from the computer for a couple minutes, and having 1 or 2 top-tier tanks AFK in your team pretty much loses you the battle (provided MM is balanced)

...and when did this become a Tier VIII and up discussion exclusively? I sure don't see that mentioned in the OP.

Edited by DiePanzerGeist, Apr 12 2016 - 18:45.

Sock5 #11 Posted Apr 12 2016 - 18:51

Captain

• Players
  • 14036 battles
I would allow this for tanks that have yet to connect to the game/disconnected ones.  Not AFK.  

orangeandblue #12 Posted Apr 12 2016 - 18:56

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 23936 battles

View PostTigerRabbit, on Apr 12 2016 - 09:08, said:

Lately there have been a LOT of AFK people. Now I understand it is just a game, sometimes something happens that requires you to walk away from your computer... but it basically makes your tank useless to the team... people get angry and it detracts from the game.

So I would like to see where if no input is detected (keyboard/mouse) for say 30 seconds... the tank goes into sentinel mode... it won't move, but it will shoot back at anything in sight. It will get a special icon above it (for the friendly team only) that allows people to see it went sentinel and use its position to an advantage.

When in sentinel mode.. the player in sentinel mode gets 0 xp and 0 credits for it... otherwise it's botting galore. (So they lose credits on ammo and repairs anyways... as a detractor for using this to gain xp) Also if the sentinel system kicks in 'too often' (say 3x a day, for more than a minute) you are now auto banned. This gets rid of the botters.

Thoughts?

I just briefly want to add that while afk players are indeed annoying especially when the game comes down to the wire and their tank is still sitting there useless (although even an afk tank can be used for proximal spotting in the right circumstances); but in defense of the number of afk players you may be seeing - I took the "free upgrade" to Windows 10 route with my computer and have had a TON of problems being worked out with it, lots of blue screens of death, and unfortunately these tend to happen most often when the computer is being stressed by game play like WoT. Most of them seem to have been worked out but for a while there it was crashing several times a day. Now it is a lot less but still happens every now and again. I keep my drivers up-to-date and all the other good stuff you're supposed to do. I've also read threads on here of people having problems with the game crashing and I'm not sure if it's something for them with the new patch or what. But....just saying I suppose.

DiePanzerGeist #13 Posted Apr 12 2016 - 19:07

Major

• -Players-
  • 7211 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

Edited by DiePanzerGeist, Today, 12:13 PM.

Interesting that the OP was changed AFTER it was said it would promote botting...and now he argues that it doesn't after he changed it pretending his previous post didn't happen. :rolleyes:

Edited by TigerRabbit, Today, 12:19 PM.

Edited by DiePanzerGeist, Apr 12 2016 - 19:11.

TigerRabbit #14 Posted Apr 12 2016 - 19:23

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 23820 battles

View PostDiePanzerGeist, on Apr 12 2016 - 10:07, said:

Edited by DiePanzerGeist, Today, 12:13 PM.

Interesting that the OP was changed AFTER it was said it would promote botting...and now he argues that it doesn't after he changed it pretending his previous post didn't happen. :rolleyes:

Edited by TigerRabbit, Today, 12:19 PM.

Yes OP was changed to include why I don't think it would promote botting... since you raised a valid point. I don't generally play tier 1-5 the idea of bots never crossed my mind... so I included your feedback to hopefully shortcut all the people saying 'promote botting'. Then I later added that I don't think it promotes botting because at higher tiers you would lose insane amount of money... tiers where botting already doesn't occur. 

I think you are a different player than the player base I intended.. you only have 1 tier 8, and the majority of your battles are in tier 6 or lower, in which having 1 or two team members AFK is not nearly as bad. 

I think the overarching story becomes that there is different kinds of players. 1) People who want fun, hence the social aspect of the game. 2) People who like the competition (people caring about winning and competitive play.

Based on your 5094 games played and 3000+ posts... and your stats my guess is you fall in category 1. I happen to fall in category 2. I play to win... and lately this game has done plenty of things to make it less and less interesting for that group. (AFK's at high tiers happen a lot, partially because premium tier 8 tanks operated by people with < 5k battles.. the general rental tanks everywhere that make MM seriously unbalanced. 5x events that temporarily pull in some new people, combined with them getting tier 8 premiums, etc, etc, etc.) I would love to see an ELO based system in wot, but that is not going to happen. 

The original post was because in the last 100 games, 17 games had 1 or more AFK on my team. I just don't think it is fun... So I thought that at least having an idea of their tank shooting back would be useful, but it seem like so far the community disagrees. I guess there's more people in category 1 (fun) than in category 2 (competition)

DiePanzerGeist #15 Posted Apr 12 2016 - 19:30

Major

• -Players-
  • 7211 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

View PostTigerRabbit, on Apr 12 2016 - 12:26, said:

View PostTigerRabbit, on Apr 12 2016 - 13:23, said:

Yes OP was changed to include why I don't think it would promote botting... since you raised a valid point. I don't generally play tier 1-5 the idea of bots never crossed my mind... so I included your feedback to hopefully shortcut all the people saying 'promote botting'. Then I later added that I don't think it promotes botting because at higher tiers you would lose insane amount of money... tiers where botting already doesn't occur. 

I think you are a different player than the player base I intended.. you only have 1 tier 8, and the majority of your battles are in tier 6 or lower, in which having 1 or two team members AFK is not nearly as bad. 

I think the overarching story becomes that there is different kinds of players. 1) People who want fun, hence the social aspect of the game. 2) People who like the competition (people caring about winning and competitive play.

Based on your 5094 games played and 3000+ posts... and your stats my guess is you fall in category 1. I happen to fall in category 2. I play to win... and lately this game has done plenty of things to make it less and less interesting for that group. (AFK's at high tiers happen a lot, partially because premium tier 8 tanks operated by people with < 5k battles.. the general rental tanks everywhere that make MM seriously unbalanced. 5x events that temporarily pull in some new people, combined with them getting tier 8 premiums, etc, etc, etc.) I would love to see an ELO based system in wot, but that is not going to happen. 

The original post was because in the last 100 games, 17 games had 1 or more AFK on my team. I just don't think it is fun... So I thought that at least having an idea of their tank shooting back would be useful, but it seem like so far the community disagrees. I guess there's more people in category 1 (fun) than in category 2 (competition)

..and then you continued to argue with me that I was wrong, after changing your OP because I said it would promote botting (hence i was right), and being suddenly selective that it wouldn't effect VIII and up which you STILL haven't amended the OP to clarify. Please be consistent in your arguments it eliminates a lot of confusion...are you talking about all tiers or just VIII and up?

Edited by DiePanzerGeist, Apr 12 2016 - 19:31.

Ekidutu #16 Posted Apr 12 2016 - 19:30

Corporal

• Players
  • 8428 battles
There are times when my internet is extremely unstable and I get a lot of disconnects (Which is why I don't have an E25 as it was crap the entire month), it would be great if I had a setting

where I could allow a destroyed team member with a pre-set win rate to take over my tank in case of a disconnect. I don't tend to carry a lot of gold ammo, so the cost would not be excessive.

However, while the full experience should go to the substitute player, the disconnected player should get credits up to the repair/resupply with all excess going to the substitute. Obviously, this

could be abused, but it would be more fair to the team I think

TigerRabbit #17 Posted Apr 12 2016 - 20:44

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 23820 battles

View PostDiePanzerGeist, on Apr 12 2016 - 10:30, said:

..and then you continued to argue with me that I was wrong, after changing your OP because I said it would promote botting (hence i was right), and being suddenly selective that it wouldn't effect VIII and up which you STILL haven't amended the OP to clarify. Please be consistent in your arguments it eliminates a lot of confusion...are you talking about all tiers or just VIII and up?

Yes you are right... you are so awesome I wish I was you.

DiePanzerGeist #18 Posted Apr 12 2016 - 20:47

Major

• -Players-
  • 7211 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6

View PostTigerRabbit, on Apr 12 2016 - 14:44, said:

Yes you are right... you are so awesome I wish I was you.

"Based on your 5094 games played and 3000+ posts... and your stats..."...really, you went there noobikins? Because according to YOUR stats (since you went there) you need some work for someone with 14k+ matches. According to players MUCH better than you I'm pretty close to where someone with my experience should be and getting better. I guess you were out of anything worthwhile to say...oh wait... :harp:

Edited by DiePanzerGeist, Apr 12 2016 - 20:53.

Also tagged with AFK

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users