Jump to content


What arty for campaign missions?


  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Ramsalot #1 Posted Apr 12 2016 - 18:43

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 27048 battles
  • 259
  • Member since:
    10-09-2011
I sold all my arties long ago, but it looks like I need to get at least one for the missions.  I have entire German arty line unlocked, including G.W. E 100 that I never bothered to purchase.  From what I remember back in the day, G.W. Panther was the most fun one to use, is it good enough for all of the arty missions, or I should get something higher up?  I really don't want to spend all the credits on tier 10 arty just to do the missions...

Edited by Veksha, Apr 12 2016 - 18:43.


JA_Pinkerton #2 Posted Apr 12 2016 - 18:44

    Major

  • Players
  • 33028 battles
  • 4,498
  • Member since:
    08-12-2013
I have been told, but have not verified, that the S-51 is sufficient for all the arty missions.  The S-51 is a tier VII Soviet arty you get through the KV-2.

johnmadara #3 Posted Apr 12 2016 - 18:44

    Major

  • Players
  • 31504 battles
  • 5,903
  • Member since:
    10-09-2011
Arty missions dont require top top tier tanks to actually complete them because they are mainly based upon top exp/damage ETC which are tier based

Sylvado #4 Posted Apr 12 2016 - 18:47

    Major

  • Players
  • 67565 battles
  • 3,951
  • [LOAC] LOAC
  • Member since:
    10-10-2012

View PostVeksha, on Apr 12 2016 - 18:43, said:

I sold all my arties long ago, but it looks like I need to get at least one for the missions.  I have entire German arty line unlocked, including G.W. E 100 that I never bothered to purchase.  From what I remember back in the day, G.W. Panther was the most fun one to use, is it good enough for all of the arty missions, or I should get something higher up?  I really don't want to spend all the credits on tier 10 arty just to do the missions...

I use the GW Panther for most but I never sold my tier 10's so I use them for the missions that require a lot of damage and the damage multiple targets with one shot. For most of them you are better off in a lower tier,



churchill50 #5 Posted Apr 12 2016 - 18:57

    Major

  • -Players-
  • 20578 battles
  • 2,143
  • [HIME] HIME
  • Member since:
    05-17-2014

I completed the first set in the M41 HMC, and the first few in the second set. I am going to move up to the M44 to complete the second set for the RoF, aim time, and accuracy improvements. I would say first and second sets are both totally completable in the M41 HMC.

 

Edit: Something I forgot. Someone said the other day that they had completed all the SPG missions up through the T-55A, and 13 of 15 for the Object 260 with the M44.


Edited by churchill50, Apr 12 2016 - 18:58.


tod914 #6 Posted Apr 12 2016 - 18:59

    Major

  • Players
  • 64396 battles
  • 6,532
  • Member since:
    12-23-2013
Some of the missions you'll require a larger splash radius than the GW Panther allows.  S-51, GW Tiger if you don't want to spend all those credits (wait for the 15% off sale).  M44 with gold is good for damage. 

Pigmy #7 Posted Apr 12 2016 - 19:01

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 88165 battles
  • 38
  • Member since:
    07-02-2011
I very much doubt that you will be able to complete the missions in that arty.  Certain missions require for example that you splash 2 tanks with 1 round or dmg 2 and destroy 1 and such like.  Also if it has been that long ago since you played arty, the GW panther is not what it used to be (pre 8.1).  Which reward tank are you working on?  You may be able to complete the missions for the stug and maybe the htc but I will be the first to take my hat off to you if you do it in the gw for the t55a or the 260!  Also, you might want to consider how long do you want to try and work on the personal missions?  Limiting yourself to 1 arty is going to seriously prolong you completing the missions sooner.  If you sold all of your arty because you don't like arty (which I suspect might be the case) you might find yourself getting upset a lot more by using only 1 arty.

Gilthoniel #8 Posted Apr 12 2016 - 19:04

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 21473 battles
  • 133
  • [OTTER] OTTER
  • Member since:
    10-10-2013
If you have the Obj. 261 all the arty missions should be easy to do with it. 

Sylvado #9 Posted Apr 12 2016 - 19:04

    Major

  • Players
  • 67565 battles
  • 3,951
  • [LOAC] LOAC
  • Member since:
    10-10-2012

View PostPigmy, on Apr 12 2016 - 19:01, said:

I very much doubt that you will be able to complete the missions in that arty.  Certain missions require for example that you splash 2 tanks with 1 round or dmg 2 and destroy 1 and such like.  Also if it has been that long ago since you played arty, the GW panther is not what it used to be (pre 8.1).  Which reward tank are you working on?  You may be able to complete the missions for the stug and maybe the htc but I will be the first to take my hat off to you if you do it in the gw for the t55a or the 260!  Also, you might want to consider how long do you want to try and work on the personal missions?  Limiting yourself to 1 arty is going to seriously prolong you completing the missions sooner.  If you sold all of your arty because you don't like arty (which I suspect might be the case) you might find yourself getting upset a lot more by using only 1 arty.

 

I used the GW Panther for most of the T-55 arty missions. When you need to be top in XP it is a real good choice.

Zup77 #10 Posted Apr 12 2016 - 19:07

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 49312 battles
  • 617
  • Member since:
    08-10-2013
I used the M44 and M40/43 to do all the arty missions for the first 3 campaigns. I think it took 400 games or less to actually complete them all and so these were both good enough. Prior to the missions, I never played arty so I was inexperienced and yet still managed to knock them off quickly to get the 3 crew members.

Ramsalot #11 Posted Apr 12 2016 - 19:11

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 27048 battles
  • 259
  • Member since:
    10-09-2011

View PostPigmy, on Apr 12 2016 - 10:01, said:

I very much doubt that you will be able to complete the missions in that arty.  Certain missions require for example that you splash 2 tanks with 1 round or dmg 2 and destroy 1 and such like.  Also if it has been that long ago since you played arty, the GW panther is not what it used to be (pre 8.1).  Which reward tank are you working on?  You may be able to complete the missions for the stug and maybe the htc but I will be the first to take my hat off to you if you do it in the gw for the t55a or the 260!  Also, you might want to consider how long do you want to try and work on the personal missions?  Limiting yourself to 1 arty is going to seriously prolong you completing the missions sooner.  If you sold all of your arty because you don't like arty (which I suspect might be the case) you might find yourself getting upset a lot more by using only 1 arty.

Thank you, this was very informative.  I am going for t55a.  After your post I decided to go with G.W. Tiger for the SPG missions.  I have similar dilemma in regards to TDs, should I stick to JPanther II or get Jagdtiger?



Plays_With_Matches #12 Posted Apr 12 2016 - 19:12

    Major

  • Players
  • 29714 battles
  • 2,995
  • [K-H] K-H
  • Member since:
    10-20-2012

M44 & M53/55 will complete all the missions up through the T55A set... I think I might want the T92 for a mission or two on the 260A but have a few other lines to finish first :(


 



otacon237 #13 Posted Apr 12 2016 - 19:13

    Major

  • Players
  • 25222 battles
  • 4,370
  • Member since:
    01-08-2012

View Postjohnmadara, on Apr 12 2016 - 17:44, said:

Arty missions dont require top top tier tanks to actually complete them because they are mainly based upon top exp/damage ETC which are tier based

 

​not true some are bases on kills and a few have fairly high dmg requirements like 3-4k

 

​I ran into the same conundrum as you, OP, except I didn't have a whole line unlocked like you did. I got the s-51 thru the kv2 but later ragesold it.

 

​free xped the m41 and have gotten though nearly the first 2 campaigns using that line, on the m12 now. I tried the regular Russian line and hated it. The murica line is relatively enjoyable imo. Also I use my lefheheheh for some of the accuracy-oriented missions



whariwharangi #14 Posted Apr 12 2016 - 19:15

    Major

  • Players
  • 95492 battles
  • 2,468
  • Member since:
    03-12-2011

I used Hummel for the missions that don't have high damage requirement.

 

I used M40/43 for the high damage requirement missions.

 

I have completed SPG 13 on T55 missions. Now stuck on SPG 14 'platoon' mission with specific heavy tank target.

 

As a rule of thumb, I try to stick to playing tanks that actually existed.


Edited by whariwharangi, Apr 12 2016 - 19:16.


Guido1212 #15 Posted Apr 12 2016 - 19:16

    Community Contributor

  • Players
  • 81373 battles
  • 8,800
  • [GFLC] GFLC
  • Member since:
    06-11-2011
53/55 will get you through every mission up to and including SPG 15.4

the_Nasty #16 Posted Apr 12 2016 - 19:28

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 33484 battles
  • 35
  • Member since:
    02-07-2013
I would suggest using the M53/55 to complete your arty missions - it is the best overall spg in the game and you should be able to complete the missions with this spg.

Pigmy #17 Posted Apr 12 2016 - 19:34

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 88165 battles
  • 38
  • Member since:
    07-02-2011

View PostVeksha, on Apr 13 2016 - 04:11, said:

Thank you, this was very informative.  I am going for t55a.  After your post I decided to go with G.W. Tiger for the SPG missions.  I have similar dilemma in regards to TDs, should I stick to JPanther II or get Jagdtiger?

 

The question with regards to TD's is easier.  The amount of types of TD's available makes the TD missions easier. But I get the sense that you are very limited to how many tanks you have in the garage...if this is the case then the first thing you need to establish is a mindset that is centred on patience and long-suffering so you don't go out of your mind.  What I found is that with some the missions (which ever class) requires an ability to be passive and some active (even with arty) in order to complete the criteria.  I do find it difficult to answer your questions based on the limited amount of tanks you are putting forward knowing the missions and what it takes out of you trying to do them.  I have stacks of tanks to choose from so I was able to pick tanks according to what I thought was the best fit for the conditions.  So...if you are wanting to complete the TD missions get both but if you had to choose then get the jp2....it has fire-power and flexibility. 

ThePigSheFlies #18 Posted Apr 12 2016 - 19:39

    Major

  • Players
  • 74551 battles
  • 17,636
  • [SIMP] SIMP
  • Member since:
    10-20-2012

View PostGilthoniel, on Apr 12 2016 - 13:04, said:

If you have the Obj. 261 all the arty missions should be easy to do with it. 

 

except the bombardier, and to some degree the ones requiring top xp on both teams.

 

tier 8 spgs, running cola and a handful of premium HE shells like the su-14-2 and/or the M40/43 are both good candidates for most of the missions.



Ramsalot #19 Posted Apr 12 2016 - 20:22

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 27048 battles
  • 259
  • Member since:
    10-09-2011

View PostPigmy, on Apr 12 2016 - 10:34, said:

 

The question with regards to TD's is easier.  The amount of types of TD's available makes the TD missions easier. But I get the sense that you are very limited to how many tanks you have in the garage...if this is the case then the first thing you need to establish is a mindset that is centred on patience and long-suffering so you don't go out of your mind.  What I found is that with some the missions (which ever class) requires an ability to be passive and some active (even with arty) in order to complete the criteria.  I do find it difficult to answer your questions based on the limited amount of tanks you are putting forward knowing the missions and what it takes out of you trying to do them.  I have stacks of tanks to choose from so I was able to pick tanks according to what I thought was the best fit for the conditions.  So...if you are wanting to complete the TD missions get both but if you had to choose then get the jp2....it has fire-power and flexibility. 

 

What happened is after a while I started to play exclusively medium tanks, and I have full garage of medium tanks...  I sold everything else with exception of very few heavy tanks (IS-7, E-75, and handful of tier 8 premium heavies).  That left me with no SPGs, no lights, and no TDs of any sort.  No crews either.  I don't want to re-buy multiple tanks of each class just to get T-55A, so that's where I am coming from when I try to set my eyes on single tank in each class.  As far as grinding missions mentality, I don't want to grind either.  Just play enough to get daily done in each mission vehicle and hope for the best.  If it takes years to get something this way, then probably screw the T-55A for good and don't bother :)

Dion__0_0ll #20 Posted Apr 12 2016 - 20:50

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 20732 battles
  • 551
  • [SNPAI] SNPAI
  • Member since:
    01-16-2014
I used the AMX 13 AM to get the T28 HMC arty missions done




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users