WGNA PR Controversy - Perspectives & How to Improve PR

WGNA PR controversy Q&A improve notes

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

sahmlockhart #1 Posted Apr 13 2016 - 22:08

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 41779 battles

BTed2 and NinjaGumby have share their perspectives on the recent PR stumble at WGNA office since they were there.

https://www.reddit.c...it_with_victor/

Here's the TL/DW rundown:

- Rita is somewhat overreacting to the fail by WGNA in producing this Q&A session and over-blowing it out of proportions.

- This meeting does feel rushed because it was; there were some preemptive question selectivity and thus made it feel insincere to the actual opinions and questions of the player base.

- (Not pointing fingers) Last minute notice, Paul Barnett, NA's community director, might have been ordered to organize and prepare a Q&A session with some NA player base when CEO, Victor Kislyi, visited America. He done as best as he could with the time he was given and this Q&A might have been the result.

- Doesn't matter who wanted this Q&A session, all what matter is that more effort is needed in preparation and performance of future PR events.

- Long road ahead for entire WG PR department to catch up to other successful companies like Blizzard or Riot.

- I listed a few examples of how to improve Public Relations and improve WG's image to the player base.

Edited by sahmlockhart, Apr 13 2016 - 22:49.

TwixOps #2 Posted Apr 13 2016 - 22:13

Major

• Players
  • 50569 battles
  • [-ZOO-] -ZOO-
I have to say, I lost a LOT of respect for Rita with the way she handled this whole issue.  Really, she jumped down WGNA's throat for something as simple as messing up the audio on their take, something that I have personally done on more than one occasion.  A touch unprofessional of them?  Sure, but they didn't have a lot of time to prepare for the whole event and they did the best to fix the issues when they did arise.  

Mudman24 #3 Posted Apr 13 2016 - 22:14

Major

• Players
  • 36574 battles
WG has a PR department?

Mr_Pickles #4 Posted Apr 13 2016 - 22:20

Sergeant

• Players
  • 36580 battles

View PostMudman24, on Apr 13 2016 - 21:14, said:

WGNA has a PR department?

A++

DarkConfidant #5 Posted Apr 13 2016 - 22:23

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 26558 battles
WGNA doesn't care that's why specials are worse year after year. This anniversary sales scare me as it might be till Christmas till we get a good special. 

waga100 #6 Posted Apr 13 2016 - 22:24

Captain

• Players
  • 20064 battles
  • [GOD_Z] GOD_Z
I think people were expecting a real Q and A where were some people who really knew the game could ask the top guy how he was going to fix it. Instead the whole thing was scripted so he make lots of vague statements about happy players. 

HazardDrake #7 Posted Apr 13 2016 - 22:30

Major

• -Players-
  • 9291 battles

View PostDarkConfidant, on Apr 13 2016 - 22:23, said:

WGNA doesn't care that's why specials are worse year after year. This anniversary sales scare me as it might be till Christmas till we get a good special. 

I personally am staying off WGNA's rear about the aniversery specials until this weekend. They could easily be planning on discounts this weekend and not telling us ahead of time, as they have done in the past with weekend specials.

Kamahl1234 #8 Posted Apr 13 2016 - 22:31

Major

• Players
  • 18394 battles

View Postsahmlockhart, on Apr 13 2016 - 21:08, said:

- This meeting does feel rushed because it was; there were some preemptive question selectivity and thus made it feel insincere to the actual opinions and questions of the player base.

Honest question, why would the selection of questions to be answered make it feel insincere, especially if the questions the playerbase may be asking (that weren't answered) are things that haven't been decided, or very little information exists on?

As I see it often in the Q&A Storm does, where he answers "when it's ready" and the likes to questions on things that are in the works and have unknown ETA's or progress.

OstwindFlakpanzer #9 Posted Apr 13 2016 - 22:33

Major

• Players
  • 20919 battles
  • [CUDAS] CUDAS

WG could fix PR with 2 easy steps and I'm providing this advice for free:

1.  give everyone a T22sr

2.  sell the type 59

there.  the community is now happy.

HazardDrake #10 Posted Apr 13 2016 - 22:39

Major

• -Players-
  • 9291 battles

View PostTwixOps, on Apr 13 2016 - 22:13, said:

I have to say, I lost a LOT of respect for Rita with the way she handled this whole issue.  Really, she jumped down WGNA's throat for something as simple as messing up the audio on their take, something that I have personally done on more than one occasion.  A touch unprofessional of them?  Sure, but they didn't have a lot of time to prepare for the whole event and they did the best to fix the issues when they did arise.  

Ever accidently blast the audio test tone over the entire viewing area? I did that once at the TV station when learning the audio board.

I also once had to physically run and hide from the director when the audio for the live newsroom segment ended up being FUBAR. Wasn't my fault, I was only responsible for setting up and operating the camera. However, when you hear cursing and a fist going through drywall from the control room you just run and let someone else calm the director down.

The director was a great guy, but he worked under a lot of pressure.

Flarvin #11 Posted Apr 13 2016 - 22:41

Major

• Players
  • 53805 battles

View PostHazardDrake, on Apr 13 2016 - 16:30, said:

I personally am staying off WGNA's rear about the aniversery specials until this weekend. They could easily be planning on discounts this weekend and not telling us ahead of time, as they have done in the past with weekend specials.

This is what I thought and hope for. 

But WGNA could inform their player base a little better. 

sahmlockhart #12 Posted Apr 13 2016 - 22:55

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 41779 battles

View PostKamahl1234, on Apr 13 2016 - 16:31, said:

Honest question, why would the selection of questions to be answered make it feel insincere, especially if the questions the playerbase may be asking (that weren't answered) are things that haven't been decided, or very little information exists on?

As I see it often in the Q&A Storm does, where he answers "when it's ready" and the likes to questions on things that are in the works and have unknown ETA's or progress.

I think that a lot of people feel the way of picking out desired questions beforehand is a signal that they don't trust what the people WGNA invited will say during the Q&A session. And therefore made ways to control it. WGNA should just have let the players say what they want and edit out stuff that was stupid or pointless.

SunnyKim #13 Posted Apr 13 2016 - 22:56

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 35105 battles

View PostOstwindFlakpanzer, on Apr 13 2016 - 21:33, said:

WG could fix PR with 2 easy steps and I'm providing this advice for free:

1.  give everyone a T22sr

2.  sell the type 59

there.  the community is now happy.

how about not..... making the T-22sr available in the premium shop if even for a limited time and re balanced or even making a new mission set would be acceptable as its a new tank for a failed game mode and they need to do something with it and we know they like money so let people purchase it. But you cant start messing with rare tanks like the Type 59, M6A2E1 or even the Type 62 i had to grind my [edited]off for or else you are going to piss off a lot of veteran players. I want a Type 59 as bad as everyone else but rare tanks are a fun part of the game for those who have been around for a long time. 

Kamahl1234 #14 Posted Apr 13 2016 - 23:31

Major

• Players
  • 18394 battles

View Postsahmlockhart, on Apr 13 2016 - 21:55, said:

I think that a lot of people feel the way of picking out desired questions beforehand is a signal that they don't trust what the people WGNA invited will say during the Q&A session. And therefore made ways to control it. WGNA should just have let the players say what they want and edit out stuff that was stupid or pointless.

Yeah, but it also prevents "They can't answer it because they're idiots!!!!" rants, when someone asks a tricky question, one that may not be answerable yet, or simply not that employees field. 

As I find the types of Q&A you describe to be a major waste of my time, to follow. As I tend to see less interesting, or repeated questions asked, or not much real answers given, as players aren't asking the right questions. Especially as editing afterwards both would cost more, but also upset those whom were edited out, who may try to call WG out on some silly "censorship" or something. 

SunFlash #15 Posted Apr 13 2016 - 23:38

Major

• Players
  • 22455 battles

View PostHazardDrake, on Apr 13 2016 - 16:30, said:

I'll believe it when I see it. 

sahmlockhart #16 Posted Apr 14 2016 - 00:18

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 41779 battles

View PostKamahl1234, on Apr 13 2016 - 17:31, said:

Yeah, but it also prevents "They can't answer it because they're idiots!!!!" rants, when someone asks a tricky question, one that may not be answerable yet, or simply not that employees field. 

As I find the types of Q&A you describe to be a major waste of my time, to follow. As I tend to see less interesting, or repeated questions asked, or not much real answers given, as players aren't asking the right questions. Especially as editing afterwards both would cost more, but also upset those whom were edited out, who may try to call WG out on some silly "censorship" or something. 

Isn't it more beneficial to show off the humility side of the company by saying 'I don't know the answer to that specific question'. Still, just post two versions of the Q&A session, one edited, one raw. If Paul and/or Victor know what they are doing, then I am sure they have a solution to a tough question when asked. People just don't like PR events which seems false and orchestrated .

Aegis270 #17 Posted Apr 14 2016 - 00:32

Captain

• -Players-
  • 11499 battles

But what would have been better? A heavily choreographed interview which tells us nothing of any importance and makes half the playerbase (even more) cynical, or an actual interview (Like the EU server got), which was both well managed and infinitely more sincere?

Don't forget, WGNA HAD to know this was coming. WG promised us this back during the 10.0 fiasco, and WGEU had their interview several months ago. I don't buy for a second that this was suddenly "jumped' on WGNA; they knew it was coming. They might not have known when, but the way the interview was done made me think they had made no preparations at all previously. 

How about, in preparation to the interview, WGNA staff collect questions from the community contributors, vet them, and give them back. The whole point of an interview is to get information that they don't know we want. I'm sure none of the community contributors were planning a "gotcha" moment, and if WGNA honestly answered why certain questions were vetted out, we would have honest, real questions and we would be way happier with the whole event. 

I don't think it's too much to ask for openness and honesty from a company that promised us openness and honest.

_Gungrave_ #18 Posted Apr 14 2016 - 00:34

Major

• Players
  • 43752 battles
  • [-SRP-] -SRP-

I ignored the whole thing with Rita's post as it seemed like drama in the making. She will more than like lose a bit of server traffic to her blog because of this since she jumped the gun instead of taking a step back to second guess what she was thinking she just went with it.

Edited by _Gungrave_, Apr 14 2016 - 00:42.

HazardDrake #19 Posted Apr 14 2016 - 00:40

Major

• -Players-
  • 9291 battles

View PostSunFlash, on Apr 13 2016 - 23:38, said:

I'll believe it when I see it. 

I will too. None of us can say what will or will not be this weekend.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users