Practical Training - Concealment

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

AnotherFrigginTank #1 Posted Apr 15 2016 - 18:32

Private

• -Players-
  • 2588 battles

Practical Training - Concealment

Ever get shot to pieces by a hidden enemy and wanted to scream?  Did you swear they must be cheating or think maybe you were the only one who couldn't see them?  Well, they were probably 'kiting' or 'edging' you.  This article will discuss these techniques along with going over the basic concepts of concealment and how to stay hidden during the course of a battle.

Basic concealment

Concealment is calculated separately for each tank.  The value may be different depending on the vehicle.  With few exceptions, light tanks, (including small vehicles of any type) tend to have higher concealment values, medium tanks and tank destroyers have average values, and heavies (including very large tanks of any type) have much lower values.

Every few seconds the game analyzes each tank and compares its position/distance to all of the enemy's and calculates who is spotted and who becomes concealed.  The higher your concealment value, the greater the chance you will be hidden to the red team, while the lower the value the greater the chances you will be spotted.  This is of course dependent upon a number of considerations (which we will try to cover in this article - see bottom for a comprehensive example).

What can I actually see?

Assuming a given enemy tank is currently spotted, it will be visible to you (in-game and on the mini-map) provided it is within 564 meters of you.  You can shoot at it, and it can shoot at you (assuming you are spotted).  Anything outside of this range will always be hidden with no exception.

One effective technique players use is called 'Kiting'.  It is the act of firing at a spotted tank just under 564 meters away and then pulling back outside of that range so no return fire is possible,  It doesn't work 100% of the time, but is extremely difficult to counter.  However, it is also fairly difficult to hit a target that is nearly 564 meters away as well, so is not commonly encountered.

What can I spot (revealing hidden enemy tanks)?

Before this concept is covered further, it is important to understand the difference between 'seeing' and 'spotting'.  Seeing a vehicle simply means that an (already spotted) enemy tank is visible to you in-game and on your mini-map.  Spotting a vehicle means that it was previously hidden and your tank revealed it (making it visible to everyone within 564 meters).

Each tank has a base view range.  Like concealment, the value may be different depending on the vehicle.  This range is the distance from the tank (in all directions) that you could potentially spot an enemy tank under the right conditions.  This distance can be extended by equipment, crew skills, etc.

The greater your view range, the more likely it is that you will spot an enemy before they will spot you.  So, if there were only one tank left of each side and they had different view ranges, it is possible that one could spot (and fire on) the the other without that tank being able to spot (or fire on) his opposite at all.

No tank can spot an enemy vehicle that is more than 445 meters away (slightly farther diagonally) regardless of their view range.  However, if a tank's view range (after all modifications for crew, equipment, etc.) does exceed 445 meters, the difference becomes a modifier towards spotting something within that 445 meter limitation.

As an example, if your tank had a modified view range of 495 meters and an enemy was sitting in a spot 446 meters away, you would not be able to reveal their position if they were hidden.  However, if they were 445 meters away, you would have a +50 bonus to revealing them (difference between 445 and 495).  Some call this 'over-spotting', and it can be very powerful on certain maps. 

The closer an enemy vehicle is to you, the better the chance they would reveal your position.  This acts similarly to over-spotting (mentioned before), but is not nearly as impactful.  In other words, a given enemy is more likely to spot you at 445 meters if they have a 495 view range (50m over-spot), than a tank with a 350 view range is to revealing your position if your sitting 300 meters away (50m range difference). 

You can run, but you can't hide

Any tank will be spotted (regardless of cover or obstacles) if they are within 50 meters of an enemy tank.  There are no exceptions to this rule... EVERYTHING gets spotted within 50 meters of the enemy (and vice. versa).

Sometimes it is prudent to try moving up to the enemy (while remaining behind a rock, house, etc.) to light up anything within the 50 meter range.  This technique is called 'Proxy Spotting', and can be seen a lot on certain maps (Mines is a good example).

Help staying hidden

There are a number of ways to increase your chances of remaining hidden at any given time.  Each of these methods provide a modest bonus to your concealment rating (directly or indirectly).  Some of the modifiers might seem trivial by themselves, but they could easily make the difference between an enemy spotting and killing you, or you having the time (and shots) to finish them off.  This could be critical if you're close to an Ace Tanker in the match (winning being the deciding factor), or the battle is down to you and the other guy in a tournament (with gold on the line).

Camouflage Nets add between 5% and 15% to the concealment rating of any tank that has been stationary for 3 seconds or more. This bonus is lost the moment the vehicle moves or rotates its hull (turning the turret does not affect it), and will not return until the tank in question is stationary for 3+ seconds again.  This works independently of all of the modifiers that follow.

External camouflage (purchased with gold or silver) will add a small percentage to your concealment rating.  This differs from tank to tank and tank class to tank class, but is typically between 3% and 5%.  Unlike the Camouflage Netting, it does not cease to function when you move or rotate your tank's hull.  I typically spend silver for temporary camouflage on 'keeper' tanks and gold to throw permanent camo on premium vehicles.  Every so often, Wargaming offers External Camouflage at 50% off, and is a good time to buy it.

Camouflage Skill affects the concealment rating of a tank from the moment any of the crew members select it.  The more crew members that have it (and the higher their skill progresses up to 100%),  the more of an impact it will have on the overall concealment rating of their vehicle.

Brothers in Arms Perk serves as a modifier (or coefficient) to a crew's camouflage skill (but does nothing to a tank whose crew has 0%).  All of the crew members in the tank must have the Brothers in Arms perk at 100% for the modifier to be applied.  Note: this perk provides other (non concealment related) bonuses as well.

Premium Consumables serve as a modifier (or coefficient) to a crew's camouflage skill (but does nothing to a tank whose crew has 0%).  The modifier is applied in any battle where the consumable is present on the vehicle, but is expended at its conclusion.  Note: premium consumables provide other (non concealment related) bonuses as well.

Improved Ventilation serves as a modifier (or coefficient) to a crew's camouflage skill (but does nothing to a tank whose crew has 0%).  The modifier is applied in any battle where this piece of equipment is present on the vehicle.  Note: Improved Ventilation provides other (non concealment related) bonuses as well.

NOTE:  Light tanks do not lose any of their base concealment while moving.

Help finding the enemy

Recon Skill serves as a modifier to a tank's view range.  The commander's level in this skill determines how much of a bonus is applied (up to a maximum of 2% when the commander maxes out this skill).

Situational Awareness serves as a modifier to a tank's view range.  The radio operator's level in this skill determines how much of a bonus is applied (up to a maximum of 3%. when the radio operator maxes out this skill).

Brothers in Arms Perk serves as a modifier to a tank's view range.  All of the crew members in the tank must have the Brothers in Arms perk at 100% for the modifier to be applied.  Note: this perk provides other (non spotting related) bonuses as well.

Premium Consumables serves as a modifier to a tank's view range.  The modifier is applied in any battle where the consumable is present on the vehicle, but is expended at its conclusion.  Note: premium consumables provide other (non spotting related) bonuses as well.

Binoculars add 25% to the view range of any tank that has been stationary for 3 seconds or more. This bonus is lost the moment the vehicle moves or rotates its hull (turning the turret does not affect it), and will not return until the tank in question is stationary for 3+ seconds again.

Coated Optics add 10% to the view range of any tank at all times. This bonus only applies if no Binoculars are active.

Improved Ventilation serves as a modifier to a tank's view range.  The modifier is applied in any battle where this piece of equipment is present on the vehicle.  Note: Improved Ventilation provides other (non spotting related) bonuses as well.

Bush Warfare - art of the ninja

Nearly every map in the game offers some form of concealment by way of bushes.  Each bush has a particular density (from 1% to 100%), and this density affects the concealment  it provides.

A tank that is sitting directly in any bush (assuming it covers them completely) will benefit from whatever bonus that bush provides - based on its density.  However, the moment you move or fire, it is highly likely all concealment offered by the bush will cease (for at least 3 seconds).

If you are parked at least 15 meters behind a bush and fire or move, then you still retain all of the benefits of the bush (though you would lose some integral concealment value in the bargain.

Many players will stay just behind a bush (maybe a couple of meters), and when an enemy unit is spotted, they will back up to a position 15+ meters away from the bush and fire at the enemy (aiming at the red outline)... continuing to fire as long as the enemy is lit.  Once the red tank is hidden again, they take position back just behind the bush and hope for that enemy tank to be spotted again.  This is called 'Edging' and is a very common technique for TDs and some light tanks.

A practical example

To sum up, when the calculation takes place between a spotting tank and a (to be spotted) tank, the following cumulative modifiers are taken into consideration:

* Base concealment of the (to be spotted) tank

* Crew Skills/Perks (such as Camouflage, Brothers in Arms, etc.)

* Modifying values (such as Camo Netting, External Camo, etc.)
* Premium Consumables (such as Cola, Chocolate etc.)

* Has the tank (to be spotted) fired in last 3 seconds

* Has the tank (to be spotted) moved in last 3 seconds

* What is the distance between spotter and (to be spotted) tank

* Is there an over-spotting modifier that would apply

* Is there concealment between the spotter and (to be spotted) tank

As an example, lets say you are sitting stationary behind a light bush with a stock M24 Chaffee (equipped with Improved Ventilation and external camo paint).

You roughly have a concealment level of 28.  Add Camo Netting (equipment) and it goes up to just over 38.  Train the entire crew in Camouflage (skill) and your value tops 52.  Throw in the Brothers in Arms skill for your whole crew and Cola consumables and your Chaffee is a ninja beast with a concealment rating of basically 54.

You can move around the map (less than 50 meters from an enemy tank) and still retain a respectable 44 rating.  Shoot and it drops to just over 21 (about 13.5 if the bush you are behind is closer than 15 meters).

Special thanks to:

Dratt_Dastardly - for some hard stats on bonus percentages and tips on radio and signal boosting

wtfovr - for updated information on the draw distance geometry

Edited by AnotherFrigginTank, Apr 16 2016 - 17:52.

Dratt_Dastardly #2 Posted Apr 15 2016 - 19:06

Major

• Players
  • 27200 battles

If I get shot up by a bunch of invisible tanks tonight, I'll be mad!

Honestly this was nicely done.  

I try an edge a lot with since of my mediums.  Some crew were originally set for light tank roles.  

Kiting, I don't exactly do what you list.  A lot of my light tanks (and some of my mediums) can see 460 meters without a stereoscope.  A lot of times if I'm near and open area, I'll position myself where the enemy would be at my extreme view range.  I know that most enemy tanks would not be able to see me that far so I'll engage.  I'll even shot at tanks at times even if I know I can not penetrate them at that range.  I do so just to annoy them and let them know they are being watch, with the possibility of being damage.  It makes them hesitant on performing their next actions.

Recon, at 100%, adds 2% to your view range.

Situational Awareness, at 100%, adds 3% to your view range.

Personally, I start Sixth Sense on a Commander before Recon (if separate radio operator).  The best way to scout is to remain unseen.  Once Sixth Sense goes off, it's time to move.  Remember by the time it goes off, three seconds had passed.  Enough time for the enemy to aim and shoot at you.

As for radio operators, I do Situation Awareness before Camo.  When it's time to start a third skill, I go for Relaying.  This skill, at 100%, gives all your teammates within your radio range, +10% to their radio range.  Most tanks have a larger radio range than visual.  By extending their range, there is a better chance for them to shoot at spotted targets which normally would not show up for them.

With that in mind, snipers with radio operators may want to consider Signal Boosting.  At 100%, it gives you +20% radio range, which then allows you to shoot at spotted targets at a further range.

Anyway, all that stuff maybe in another installment from AnotherFrigginTank.

wtfovr #3 Posted Apr 15 2016 - 19:44

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 3319 battles
I

View PostAnotherFrigginTank, on Apr 15 2016 - 11:32, said:

What can I actually see?

Assuming a given enemy tank is currently spotted, it will be visible to you (in-game and on the mini-map) provided it is within 500 meters of you (just over 700 meters diagonally thanks to geometry and WoT using a box grid).  You can shoot at it, and it can shoot at you (assuming you are spotted).  Anything outside of this range will always be hidden with no exception.

One effective technique players use is called 'Kiting'.  It is the act of firing at a spotted tank just under 500 meters away and then pulling back outside of that range so no return fire is possible,  It doesn't work 100% of the time, but is extremely difficult to counter.  However, it is also fairly difficult to hit a target that is nearly 500 meters away as well, so is not commonly encountered.

The draw distance is no longer a 1000 x 1000 meter box centered on your tank - it's now a 564m radius circle centered on your tank so you're no longer able to exploit the 700m diagonal from your tank in the 1000x1000 meter box.  

So it should read Assuming a given enemy tank is currently spotted, it will be visible to you (in-game and on the mini-map) provided it is within 564 meters of you.

anotherfriggindame #4 Posted Apr 15 2016 - 21:26

Private

• -Players-
  • 6788 battles
  • [CORE] CORE

I learned a few things from this that I didn't know - the parts about the view distance being 564m vs the spotting range being 445m. Recommended reading, to be sure, for anyone who needs to know more about concealment. 

Excellent guide; very well written. :B

Jester1981 #5 Posted Apr 16 2016 - 03:03

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 33285 battles
  • [T-D] T-D
Very nice guide, excellent job. I personally think spotting mechanics are the most important to understand in this game. I would definitely recommend this guide to anyone.

Iustinian #6 Posted Apr 16 2016 - 18:02

Corporal

• Players
  • 14642 battles
  • [NRAGE] NRAGE
Agreed, Nice guide for beginners and those of us like myself that need a refresher after leaving the game for a while, simple and straight to the point on some very useful knowledge and how to apply it.

Badabingg #7 Posted Oct 31 2017 - 04:39

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 5864 battles
  • [W-UN2] W-UN2

? If only the red outline of a tank is shown , can part of it be behind hard cover?

If so , How much of it ?

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users