bounce a hellcat side with kv2

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

Flarvin #41 Posted Apr 19 2016 - 17:38

Major

• Players
  • 54618 battles

I know HE or HESH do not ricochet. 

And HE that fail to pen still explodes, according to the wiki. 

That would mean HE does not bounce or ricochet when it fails to pen.

Hurk #42 Posted Apr 19 2016 - 17:43

Major

• Players
  • 55852 battles
  • [KGR] KGR

why do people have trouble understanding computers? 

the code for messages is simple. a shot that does not ricochet, but does zero hull damage and does not cause a critical hit triggers the "that one bounced" message.  you can get the same message shooting gun barrels with HE shells because the distance from the point of impact to anything on the tank that matters is too far for any hull damage to happen. also your chance to "crit" a barrel is low.

earthman34 #43 Posted Apr 19 2016 - 17:50

Major

• Players
  • 49846 battles

I think the reason all this controversy is swirling here is because people are under the mistaken impression that HE always does damage, which is incorrect. It has a maximum penetration range like any other shiell and can roll low too. Shoot at the front of a heavily armored vehicle with a small caliber gun using HE and you'll get tons of no-damage hits. It's not always apparent what's happening because the voice messages are mostly the same. If you don't believe me try shooting an AT-2 with HE from a 6-pounder, you "won't even scratch him".

Now, that doesn't really explain why large caliber AP shells bounce where they simply should not, but I suspect this occurs because of glitches in the 3D models that present odd angles and unexpected thicknesses at certain hard-to-duplicate orientation. If you run the cursor over a 3D model on tangs.gg, for example, you'll find that even thin-skinned tanks have certain small spots from certain angles where the armor suddenly becomes very thick due to overlapping planes. When you couple this with the fact that the visual path of your shot doesn't necessarily correspond to where the hit actually occurs, you'll see where you get situations where it looked like an "impossible" bounce took place...and they do take place.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users