RU-251

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

kilroy26 #1 Posted Apr 19 2016 - 16:46

Captain

• Players
  • 24096 battles
  • [T-BB] T-BB
Hey guys I have had the RU-251 for quite a while and have never really played it much...I see people having all sorts of good games in there's but I am struggling to make it work for me...I am looking for any advice on how to improve my light tank gameplay so I stand a chance on completing LT-15

blackzaru #2 Posted Apr 19 2016 - 16:52

Major

• Players
  • 20579 battles
  • [DCU] DCU

Hope for malinovka or prokorovka/fiery salient, those maps are the only one where you stand a decent chance to do the spotting you need to get LT15 (and that's assuming there is not other light tank getting the spotting damage).

There is no special thing to do, learn the safe, yet rewarding scouting runs, and learn when it is the time to do a ballsy move that will net you that 3K+ spotting damage in like 30 sec.

Philosophosaurus #3 Posted Apr 19 2016 - 16:53

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 18137 battles

Ok so the RU plays the same as any light tank with a few tweaks. 

Use your view range use your camo of course. 

But it has a great gun and dpm and a PHENOMINAL HEP round that does 300+ damage with 100 pen. So carry those for lighter targets and dont be afraid to use them.

The shell velocity is sorta crap so the endgame should be played at mid range.

The early game is the same as any for the LT missons.

Edited by Philosophosaurus, Apr 19 2016 - 16:55.

rockbadger #4 Posted Apr 19 2016 - 16:53

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15773 battles
  • [1TANK] 1TANK
It's a good damage dealer when you can target tanks that are focused on something other than you.  I know that's really generic advice, but the RU has the speed to put a couple of shots in and then relocate to keep from being focused on.  Try to keep popping up in different locations.  Also, the HE shell has relatively high penetration and is good against other light tanks, though it has failed me often enough that I stick with AP if I find myself in a knife fight.

ThePigSheFlies #5 Posted Apr 19 2016 - 16:55

Major

• Players
  • 67158 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

how are your crew skills?

have you painted it with camo?

optics, rammer, vstab (I think it takes a vstab)

initial intel, along with opportunistic early damage wins games.  if you don't know the maps, and in particular the typical routes, look up various heat maps.  I have gotten LT15.4 (object 260 mission) multiple times by first and foremost countering the known OP bushes on the few spotting maps (e.g.  from the south, countering the north's OP bush)

as much as I believe in having chat turned off, you need all the info you can get - including if the enemy team's scouts are splergging about fail team, "mm" etc.  demoralized enemy scouts do one of two things:

1. they yolo, meaning they might light your early lighting opportunities
  2. they hide, meaning they aren't going to spot you

if you run xvm, have your config set up so that you know your enemy - not just overall, on the tab key you should see detailed results of the tank they are in, at that very moment.

sacrifice a goat to RNGesus on behalf of your team.

DAGMARK #6 Posted Apr 19 2016 - 17:01

Captain

• Players
  • 16619 battles
  • [GSH] GSH
Good advice.

_Focker_ #7 Posted Apr 19 2016 - 17:53

Sergeant

• Players
  • 71769 battles
  • [MAIDS] MAIDS

Never played the RU, but I've completed the LT15 up to the T55.

My advice:  if you have it on, turn off encounter mode.  When u finally do get Prok/Fiery Salient, there are usually less targets to spot on the 1 line, which is where u want to be.

Platoon w/ tier 10 arty.  Because when you spot for arty, you get the chance for a big number of spotting damage.  Also by getting a tier 10 match, there are more hitpoints available for you to spot.  Remember, mission completion is not a percentage of damage, it is gross hitpoints of damage.  The more HP available, the easier to do.

Also, the maps run in rotation.  So, if you get Malivovka and Prok/FS, you are likely to get them again soon.  I'm sure there are exceptions, but I'll bet most people have completed this mission on these 2 maps.

GL

Edited by Focker_12, Apr 19 2016 - 18:12.

Bad_Oedipus #8 Posted Apr 19 2016 - 18:41

Captain

• -Players-
  • 42008 battles
  • [PL1AD] PL1AD

I had hard time learning how to play it effectively for first 200 games or so.  My win 8 in this thin was around 500 for a very long time.  I was firing mostly HE shells, cause wiki said it's good...(it said it was good for soft armor tanks, but I misread it).

Then, I was on a mission to be top player by EXP and win and survive (or something like that); on Erlenberg, assault, defense.  I run up on one hill, scout, fire once and run to the other side.  Scout fire once or twice, run to the other side.  I finished my mission and saw the light.   Fire Gold/AP and move to new firing location, and it's OK if that location is on a different side of the map.  This thing is fast (I go it to go 100 down the hill), though acceleration is below expectations.  

Bad_Oedipus #9 Posted Apr 19 2016 - 18:44

Captain

• -Players-
  • 42008 battles
  • [PL1AD] PL1AD
Prok/Fiery Salient 1 line is where you get spotting in any of the T8 lights.  I completed mine in 13 90, despite being hit by a splash from CGC that fired a nuke at the usual spotting bush.

Guido1212 #10 Posted Apr 19 2016 - 22:50

Community Contributor

• Players
  • 78580 battles
  • [CARTL] CARTL
Example of using the RU 251 here.

alexanderme #11 Posted Apr 19 2016 - 23:16

Major

• Players
  • 22831 battles
LT-15 is so easy, I just wish I could do the T55a missions with my ELC. Whenever I get malinovka or provroka I almost always get 2k-5k spotting damage depending on if the team listens to me or not. I generally try to time my spots to right before/as teammates get to useful spots, as when a pubby notices something to shoot at they will generally stop and try to shoot at it, no matter where they are. You must think as a pubbie, BE THE PUBBIE and bring your team glory.

Xplato #12 Posted Apr 19 2016 - 23:23

Major

• Players
  • 17920 battles

depends w hich LT 15 you have to do really. T55A is pretty terrible, not on the 260 yet, but it's going to be worse(don't know how T55A is already bad enough) however Stug/T28C are pretty easy. just get a good scouting map.

the WZ-132 is probally on the of the best high tier scouts for it. considering it's camo.

ThePigSheFlies #13 Posted Apr 20 2016 - 02:15

Major

• Players
  • 67158 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostXplato, on Apr 19 2016 - 17:23, said:

the WZ-132 is probally on the of the best high tier scouts for it. considering it's camo.

most of the tier 8 LTs are basically interchangeable with respect to their camo ratings.  I currently have all of these with 4-5 perk crews, except for the wz132 - I just couldn't make it work, and have enough LTs that I run for daily doubles, that I didn't need to buy one back that I have bad memories of.

for what it's worth, I still do not advocate using binocs/camo net because most of the maps you're tank will be gimped on - and for reference, most of my LTs with crew perks, and equipment (optics, vents where applicable) have 460-480+ view range which is plenty even if one decides to go passive briefly.  the exception is the T49 Derp, which is 443 view range without optics.

Lumina #14 Posted Apr 20 2016 - 03:40

Major

• Players
  • 8092 battles

I struggle in this tank as well, but personally.  Scout maps almost do not exist anymore, and from what I noticed when using it, it's just a very very bad medium tank that wants to be a light tank.  I personally think the only real thing this tank has going for it is speed, and I do love that speed, but I've seen some medium and other light tanks keep up with me in open terrain so even though it has speed it isn't enough to make a huge difference personally.  The gun would be better if it had faster aim time personally, the more mobile a vehicle is the worst aim time has an effect on it, and the Ru251, well you can imagine that 2.1s aim time can feel like 2.5s if not more sometimes. SP1C has a similar problem, since light tanks do not crawl their sights gets insanely huge just for minor movements.   Honestly why I think all light tanks need faster aim times when compared to a lot of their counter parts.  

Personally, I just absolutely hate high tiers.  I think the game gets insanely stupid past tier 8, armor/firepower wise from one tank to another that using any light tank that can see tier 9 and 10 tanks just gets utterly irritating, and personally not that fun.  Ru251 is no different in this regard.  It definitely isn't as good as a Luchs or Leopard for it's Light Tank Tier personally.   Kind of like how the SP1C isn't as good as the Recon Panther, RIP Recon Panther.   Ru251 reminds me why, despite having 1200 hp it can still die in 1-3 hits.  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users