Kill counter

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

_Chenj_ #1 Posted Jul 23 2011 - 16:20

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 3203 battles
Okay, since I know that it's the damage and not the kill that matters, which leaves me thinking, Why do people driving even maus would make such a fuss with one kill?
I think it this way:
Kill- pure glory, little reward unless you stayed with him for a while
Damage- pure reward, if you play low-mid tier match a kill count of less than 1 would get you flamed for the whole match by others calling you noob

So last time I killed this m6 by ramming him and since I didn't see him, it was pure luck. The maus who got him down to 3% started to shoot me for stealing his kill, and eventually earned himself a nice blue name.
This seems to appear more often in low tier matches, as players boast their skills on the amount of kills they make and not their damage, often caught me being hunted down in my hotchkiss as useless and eventually resulted in team killing
I'm just wondering, what makes them do that? Is it the kdr influence of fps games or is it something else?

Brygin #2 Posted Jul 23 2011 - 16:56

First lieutenant

• Community Contributor
  • 23005 battles
I suspect the physiological problem is that unless you manage to get the confederate award, your team cannot "see" the difference between the stats of a "zero kill noob" and the hard working confederate.  Perhaps the reaction you described could be removed from the game if total damage done was shown in the stats.  Thinking about it more, and trying to be fair to the good scouts (those who know how to keep targets illuminated for others to kill) maybe total awarded credits would be even better to show.  [NOTE: Most players don't seem understand that the spotter gets half the credits for the damage on the target they are spotting, this is how a low tier vehicle in a high tier battle can earn a lot of credits even though they "cannot damage anyting".!

On the other hand, I image no matter what is done or shown, some people will unfortunately exhibit poor sportsmanship and deliberately  turn their mighty black Maus blue.  :mellow:

Death187 #3 Posted Jul 23 2011 - 16:57

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 7221 battles
  • [LD] LD
Well, Maybe they should show the damage done on the final screen along with the kills.

Today there has been a lot of bad players online. I played 8 matches and we only won 1. People are all camping, not defending the flanks, ignoring arty as it hits them over and over again, and arguing over kills. I did my part with more than 4 kills per loss and 7 kills on one of them. The problem is not everyone else did theirs. <_<

People just act stupid when they play any game over the interwebs. They know they are safe from the people they team kill, team damage, or just plain grief. It's amazing how vile people become when they know there will be no serious repercussions for their actions. People are quick to point fingers when they fail, quick to deflect blame from themselves to others, and quick to grief people when they do not get their way.  :facepalmic:

Punisher_1 #4 Posted Jul 23 2011 - 16:57

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 3479 battles
  • [TB] TB
I see this issue with new and old players, we all want to see some sort of number next to our in game name besides a big fat 0

No one wants to go through a battle with no kills. I also find it odd why someone would rather shoot a a low health tank for little experiance and credits ( just to get an easy kill)  versus a high health tank for more experiance and credits, when you have the high caliber gun to take it out. Or it presents the biggest threat to your team.

Players in general always take the EASY kill.

It would be great if they had a damage meter in game that could display a damage amount and hit amount so that players can see who is doing thier job. This would be a toggle on and off option in your seeting menue in case you do not want to see it or it does not matter to you.

SPG's often have this issue, lots of damage no kills, players chat it up in game "You suck you have no kills!" untill the end if the battle where you have earned the Confederate medal.

Clockworkred #5 Posted Jul 23 2011 - 17:00

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 9665 battles
  • [LBAS] LBAS
I seek to get at least one kill in my KV-1S and VK-3601 because otherwise i won't have enough to cover shell and repair expenses.

These tanks need a lot to keep running.

But for the most part, yeah, it's kdr e-peen raging.

Death187 #6 Posted Jul 23 2011 - 17:05

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 7221 battles
  • [LD] LD

View PostPunisher_1, on Jul 23 2011 - 16:57, said:

I see this issue with new and old players, we all want to see some sort of number next to our in game name besides a big fat 0

No one wants to go through a battle with no kills. I also find it odd why someone would rather shoot a a low health tank for little experiance and credits ( just to get an easy kill)  versus a high health tank for more experiance and credits, when you have the high caliber gun to take it out. Or it presents the biggest threat to your team.

Players in general always take the EASY kill.

It would be great if they had a damage meter in game that could display a damage amount and hit amount so that players can see who is doing thier job. This would be a toggle on and off option in your seeting menue in case you do not want to see it or it does not matter to you.

SPG's often have this issue, lots of damage no kills, players chat it up in game "You suck you have no kills!" untill the end if the battle where you have earned the Confederate medal.

I agree with the idea of an ingame damage meter. However, this will create another thing for people to measure their e-peens with. "You only did 6k damage with your Maus! I do 7k with mine you are a @#%!@#% noob L2P!!"

If I see an enemy tank with 1% hp and there is another one next to him with 100% hp I will always kill the 1% one first. If you let him live its another gun firing at your teammates..or you!

Punisher_1 #7 Posted Jul 23 2011 - 18:51

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 3479 battles
  • [TB] TB
Well sure thats the point.

So you see players details like: Hits 14 times, Total damage points 2840, Kills 0

It eliminates the whole your a noob thing, It shows that the player did support his team. If it's a matter of e-peen then well thats okay considering your stats and awards show that too.

So if you goal in game is to camp then it shows, if your out fighting, then it shows that also. It proves stats of the fighters over the campers, which is a great motivator to get off your ass and get to work.

FlatCat #8 Posted Jul 23 2011 - 18:58

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 11853 battles
Right now I'm in a VK3002 your kill counter does not move that much. You do hit a lot of things and make them mad.

Anything in my tier or above I have to snipe and snipe and snipe some more. The short 88 just does not have the
big bang factor. Still its a fun Tank.

Outrider01 #9 Posted Jul 23 2011 - 21:55

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5 battles

View PostPunisher_1, on Jul 23 2011 - 18:51, said:

Well sure thats the point.

So you see players details like: Hits 14 times, Total damage points 2840, Kills 0

It eliminates the whole your a noob thing, It shows that the player did support his team. If it's a matter of e-peen then well thats okay considering your stats and awards show that too.

So if you goal in game is to camp then it shows, if your out fighting, then it shows that also. It proves stats of the fighters over the campers, which is a great motivator to get off your ass and get to work.
Couldn't care about the hits, just scored a 9/13 hit with the Lowe on Komarin with zero destroys and one spot somehow.  No one said anything to each other and we lost with 5 remaining tanks, but I managed to sneak in a "good spots" to the guy in a Pershing after he was destroyed and the match ended 60 seconds later as I was to far and to slow get to the flag to stop it.  Heck, don't even need damage just a "Hit enemy: +1" combo count for every damage, bounce, richochet, zero module damage hit, or "near miss SPG" splash to show the reticule was lined up with the enemy tanks.