The Rise and Fall of On-Track Missions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Rigour67 #1 Posted May 30 2016 - 16:47

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 27706 battles
  • [RIB] RIB

There was a time when On-Track Missions (OTM) were an excellent challenge.  

Because they typically require accumulating a quarter of a million XP in a single nation's tech tree branch, they took a while to accomplish, depending on the breadth and height of your garage.

The rewards for full completion were great, typically premium tank or gold in lieu if you already had it.  Because of this, there was also a good incentive to go premium if that was what was needed to successfully complete the mission.  I know I had to do that many times, and never minded, because the reward at the end subsidized it somewhat.

And if your garage wasn't big enough, even the 100K completion reward (typically vents) was something the aim for.

Since they were all in one line, it was a nice chance to play a similar group of tanks for many days in a row, see if you actually would develop a taste for it.  I can point to a couple of lines in my present (100+) tanks garage which I would never have started down without an On-track.

A lot of the zing has gone out of the OTMs.  The new week focus missions (15K XP / 5 wins while platooned) don't require the same sort of grinding, and with boosters, much larger bundles of equipment can be had for a lot less effort by doing the "Full Daily" x4 than the OTMs.

Then there are all the rentals gumming up the works.

I don't say this to run down the new, but I miss the OTMs.  Lately there have been fortnights or more when there isn't even one active.  I always look forward to the start of the month and a new OTM.  Gives my play a focus and something to work toward more often than not.  OK, maybe not when it's arty.  ;)

Edited by Rigour67, May 30 2016 - 16:53.

_Silent #2 Posted May 30 2016 - 16:50

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 35524 battles
  • [GROOT] GROOT
They bring back on track its just not near holidays. Its weird but they should keep them coming. It really helps get tier 10s 

kier321 #3 Posted May 30 2016 - 17:06

Captain

• Players
  • 18487 battles
  • [-TMH-] -TMH-
Its not the same though now, without the gold at the end its not worth it. Ive sold all my low tier premiums because I never play them, and theres no gold incentive reason to keep them. If theres a big tourney like the Christmas one, where you win a tank, I just send a ticket and get it back before its credited so I get gold then resell. No reason to keep them in the garage. The change to mission rewards where you get credits killed them.

SMBakerESQ #4 Posted May 30 2016 - 17:13

Major

• Players
  • 21218 battles

I pretty much always did the on tracks.  You got to grind a line faster, got bonuses for doing so, could build crews fast, and got the tanks at a discount.  There was a carrot at the end also, if you had the tank then you got the gold.  It certainly didn't inflate the in game economy since few people could or did the on tracks.

Now the rentals basically ruined the in game economy and being terrible for the game in general.  You have players in tanks and tiers they have no business being in just spamming gold ammo everywhere because the rental premium will pay for it.  No concept of how to play high tiers or group play, they flat yolo trying to get as many games in as possible in their new toy.  A few camp so hard that they barely participate in the match until it's over.  Since these rentals there are many more lopsided matches.

The on tracks represented a significant time investment to get a free low tier premium or 500-1000 gold and WG decided it was too much expensive for them.  Instead they flood the games with noobs and bads in high tier premiums or noobs and bads spamming matches to get that rental as fast as they can in an effort to increase sales of premiums.  It never occurred to them that these people are the free to play types that won't spend a nickel and your dedicated player base who actually spend money just gets frustrated due to the poor matches.

ElfMagi2 #5 Posted May 30 2016 - 17:17

Captain

• Players
  • 59232 battles
  • [AIMED] AIMED

My same thoughts exactly OP.

I find myself not playing as much without an On-Track. On-Tracks took about 3 hours a day to complete (I liked to do them in 10 days not 14). The dailys often take about one hour and no need for prem account. In the end I believe Wargaming is losing money due to it (at least mine)

My only hope is that they are reworking the On-Tracks to have a new one each week to have each tier ten in the game a chance to have the spotlight and to change the reward so that all that complete the mission get the same reward and not just the ones that have not already spent money to earn the tank. That said I still did them for the garage slot.

Rigour67 #6 Posted May 30 2016 - 17:25

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 27706 battles
  • [RIB] RIB

View Postkier321, on May 30 2016 - 16:06, said:

Its not the same though now, without the gold at the end its not worth it. Ive sold all my low tier premiums because I never play them, and theres no gold incentive reason to keep them. If theres a big tourney like the Christmas one, where you win a tank, I just send a ticket and get it back before its credited so I get gold then resell. No reason to keep them in the garage. The change to mission rewards where you get credits killed them.

Particularly in comparison with the weeklies.

The last OTM might be a good comparison.
250 K XP to complete

Netted you:

20 small first aid kits @ 3000 = 60K
20 manual extinguishers @ 3000 = 60K
20 Small repair kits @3000 =60 K
20 Large first aid kits @ 20000 = 400 K
20 auto extinguishers @ 20000 = 400 K
20 Large repair kits @ 20000 = 400 K

1.38 Million in consumables (we can quibble over whether things like small first aid kits and manual extinguishers have that value, but let's just stick with retail for now)

1 Vents Class 3 @ 600 K
1 Large-Cal Runner @ 500 K

1.1 M in equipment

! Matilda Black Prince @ 700 K (equivalent)
1 Garage Slot (No equivalent)

Total: 3.18 M credits and a garage slot

12.72 credits per XP earned

Compare with the last weekly

60K gets you:

160 K in Consumables?
1.7 Million in Equipment
10 Boosters?

31 credits per XP, not factoring anything in for the boosters

Rigour67 #7 Posted May 30 2016 - 17:35

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 27706 battles
  • [RIB] RIB

View PostElfMagi2, on May 30 2016 - 16:17, said:

My same thoughts exactly OP.

I find myself not playing as much without an On-Track. On-Tracks took about 3 hours a day to complete (I liked to do them in 10 days not 14). The dailys often take about one hour and no need for prem account. In the end I believe Wargaming is losing money due to it (at least mine)

My only hope is that they are reworking the On-Tracks to have a new one each week to have each tier ten in the game a chance to have the spotlight and to change the reward so that all that complete the mission get the same reward and not just the ones that have not already spent money to earn the tank. That said I still did them for the garage slot.

The relative effort is really significantly different, i agree.

Because in the OTM you were limited to one branch and could NOT use experience for Premium Tanks to add to the XP, there was a real effort and grind in repeat play.  Had to go premium if life didn't give you enough time at the keyboard.

I compare that with these weekly missions.

Say the weekly mission is mediums.  It's really not much of a grind.

1.  Activate 100% XP Booster
2.  Play the Premium Mediums I have for their daily win:  Matilda IV, Matilda Black Price, Ram II, Chi-Nu Kai.
3.  With those wins done, the back of the thing is broken.  Now need 1 more win for the platoon wins, maybe a couple of more in some non-premiums, with which I'll still get the daily first-win multiplier.
4.  Now get the booster I just used back as a reward and get ready to rinse and repeat tomorrow.

The effort is really nothing compared to the old OTMs, yet the cash reward is much higher.  It doesn't even incentivize me to play every day, because I only need to do this 4 days out of 7, and once I do, the extra days don't add to the final bonus.

I compare this with the OTMs, I used to have to graph and plan to see if I could somehow get to 250K.  If I had a day with only 15K XP on the OTM, where was I going to make up the difference?  Etc.

Edited by Rigour67, May 30 2016 - 17:36.

Alptraumsong #8 Posted May 30 2016 - 18:00

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 10687 battles

I also liked the OTMs, I think they're trying to space out the missions.

Keep the Daily's but maybe space them out between OTMs.

*EDIT*

I derped again,

There can be at most 21 lines done a year, plenty of variety!

Bring back OTMs every two weeks.

Also maybe have the Daily's for a different class to what's being played to dilute the MM a little.

Edited by Alptraumsong, May 30 2016 - 18:06.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users