Sand River...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

Riceygringo #1 Posted Jul 25 2011 - 05:37

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 18193 battles
The two dunes in the north and south sides of the map, The north side of the dunes can be hit by artillery but the south rarely gets hit. When I start on the North side I have absolutely no artillery cover (except for that little corner behind the hill on the north side but only fast tanks can make it there without being shot at. And plus...you cant have 15 people all hide there), no bushes to hide in, no way to rush.

Any tips?

CaptCrusader #2 Posted Jul 25 2011 - 06:04

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 4477 battles
Sand River is one of my faves. A great map for light speedy tanks with the undulating terrain.

You need to rush or camp your base. Really the only two options.

If you rush, roll with a pack and wingman with a bigger tank or wolfpack and dont get locked into a peekaboo game or arty will eat your lunch. You can stop to shoot, but thats it.  There is really no place to hide out there so you should stay mobil. If you camp, hug a rock and keep your eye on the minimap so you know where the rush is coming from.

I hate to give away anything from my playbook, but you can try this:
Requisites for this tactic: Arty on both sides and having a fast tank.  Lay back at your base and watch for the rushers to engage. Once they are busy shooting each other, haul ass at top speed on the opposite side of the map. If there are rushers on both side, you still have lanes that you can speed through while exposing your tank as little as possible. If you make it through, you can be at the other cap in short order. If no one is defending, you got artillery to kill or you can start capping. If defended, you can spot for arty.

This is my favorite play when driving my Leo on this map. I sometimes will scout for the rush, then pull back and end around once the big boys start shooting at each other.

Riceygringo #3 Posted Jul 25 2011 - 13:02

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 18193 battles

View PostCaptCrusader, on Jul 25 2011 - 06:04, said:

Sand River is one of my faves. A great map for light speedy tanks with the undulating terrain.

You need to rush or camp your base. Really the only two options.

If you rush, roll with a pack and wingman with a bigger tank or wolfpack and dont get locked into a peekaboo game or arty will eat your lunch. You can stop to shoot, but thats it.  There is really no place to hide out there so you should stay mobil. If you camp, hug a rock and keep your eye on the minimap so you know where the rush is coming from.

I hate to give away anything from my playbook, but you can try this:
Requisites for this tactic: Arty on both sides and having a fast tank.  Lay back at your base and watch for the rushers to engage. Once they are busy shooting each other, haul ass at top speed on the opposite side of the map. If there are rushers on both side, you still have lanes that you can speed through while exposing your tank as little as possible. If you make it through, you can be at the other cap in short order. If no one is defending, you got artillery to kill or you can start capping. If defended, you can spot for arty.

This is my favorite play when driving my Leo on this map. I sometimes will scout for the rush, then pull back and end around once the big boys start shooting at each other.

That's not my point, the north base cannot push out on either side of the map since there's no cover from artillery, the south side can use the dunes and artillery cannot fire over them. My clan is having so much trouble when we are starting from the north side because the dunes negate any artilleries on the north team while the south team has free shots.

It would be very helpful if the devs could increase the angle of the slope on the north side by just a few degrees to give the north side an equal chance as the south side.

Sonork #4 Posted Jul 29 2011 - 09:46

Sergeant

• Players
  • 13633 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP
Yeah theres pretty much no good way for the north team to attack the south team.  Thats the problem with the map.

Bore #5 Posted Jul 29 2011 - 10:13

Captain

• Players
  • 10652 battles
This map is fail in so many ways. Its not even a river if you look at it. More like a couple lakes.
IF it were a river, it would have eroded through the path of MOST resistance. Some of the highest parts of the map are located directly next to what might be considered the river. The "river" is also going through a ton of rock instead of the surrounding sand.

Nothing about this map is geographically correct.

KAZAM #6 Posted Aug 01 2011 - 23:52

Corporal

• Players
  • 8798 battles
This map's a strange one.
When the northern team takes the general town/desert middle area, they still have to face the tanks defending on the incline and can't easily go to the entrances are towards the back (hard to penetrate without attacking).
On the other hand when the southern team takes hold of the general middle, they can easily march into that wide, open, pretty flat entrance right in front of the base. There's hardly any incline so northern defenders are easier to hit.

Generally when I start from the north, I go East and take cover behind the big hill, shoot scouts that head that way and play peekaboo with the rest of the tanks that try to pass. I don't like playing in the town or on the West edge. I die too much there hah.