Watch the random shots!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
23 replies to this topic

1858remington #1 Posted Jul 25 2011 - 06:27

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 32512 battles
  • [-TIC-] -TIC-
For some reason a lot of new players get real trigger happy when a match starts.  They fire random shots as soon as the counter reaches zero, and many times hit friendlies.  

At the start of a match your allies are moving to postion. you never know who is going to cross your line of fire.  random shooting risks damaging other players, and costs you credits if you hit them (you are fined).

When you are in position and waiting for the enemy to appear, your random shots can give away your position. Remember, there are artillery out there, if they can see you they can target and kill you. At times they can even make a good guess of your position.

Dont shoot at targets that are not highlighted.  Sure you can see their red diamond, but they may be behind cover, and all your shot will do is give away your position so their friends can target you.

Note: A target outline only appears when your crosshairs land on an exposed part of the tank.  if you move off that part, the outline will disappear. In this situation, hit the shift key and aim your shot at the exposed portion of the enemy.

Here's a neat trick:  I found the right mouse button look around to be useless.  I reconfigured the right mouse button to be the shift aim key.  Now I can flip between normal and aimed shooting faster during combat. great for a fast aimed shot in the heat of combat.

Unrelated, but might just save you:  Knocking down tree's, busting through walls, and crushing cars sure is fun. There's a problem though, Artillery has an overhead view of the map.  They can see trees fall, walls break and cars crush.  They can judge your travel direction and position and rain fire down on you.  Also, enemy tanks can see trees fall and figure out where you are and flank you.

soldierx1 #2 Posted Jul 25 2011 - 08:19

Sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 18471 battles
  • [VAST] VAST
Good post! I personally have always wondered why people do that. I can understand accidentally dropping your finger on your mouse and firing but it happens so often, and with more then one shot a lot of the times that it can't be a simple accident. Another point to bring up is the cost of shells, I mean at lower tiers it doesn't really matter but at higher tiers it does. So I think it would be a good habit to get into to not shoot unless you are aiming at an enemy tank. Oh and one last thing, when I'm not aiming at an enemy i rest my trigger finger on the mouse wheel. It's kinda like having a "safety" since my finger doesn't leave the wheel until I'm ready to fire.

Pondafarr #3 Posted Jul 25 2011 - 10:39

Corporal

• Players
  • 5787 battles
It also bugs the krap out of me when people start randomly the "attention sector" warning all over the map...

joejohnston #4 Posted Jul 25 2011 - 10:52

Private

• Players
  • 6963 battles
Speaking for myself, on some maps and on some days my cannon goes off uncommanded. I have asked about this in game, but of course everyone is a little busy for answering questions. A couple of matches ago the gun was going of about as quick as it would load. Sometimes after quick steering commands or going into sniper mode. Note, for safety at the beginning of matches I will point my gun to the sky, and any time I am working around allies I will practice muzzle discipline.
So, any one else experience this? I assumed so when I also observed the amount of discharges at the beginning of battles.

Lophat #5 Posted Jul 25 2011 - 17:36

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 61392 battles

View Postjoejohnston, on Jul 25 2011 - 10:52, said:

Speaking for myself, on some maps and on some days my cannon goes off uncommanded. I have asked about this in game, but of course everyone is a little busy for answering questions. A couple of matches ago the gun was going of about as quick as it would load. Sometimes after quick steering commands or going into sniper mode. Note, for safety at the beginning of matches I will point my gun to the sky, and any time I am working around allies I will practice muzzle discipline.
So, any one else experience this? I assumed so when I also observed the amount of discharges at the beginning of battles.

in the 7,000+ battles i've played, my gun has never gone off by itself.  

do you use a wireless mouse?  do you play windowed?  what other processes are running on your machine while you are playing?

Optimus_Ares #6 Posted Jul 25 2011 - 17:47

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 19239 battles
Good post. +1

joejohnston #7 Posted Jul 25 2011 - 19:09

Private

• Players
  • 6963 battles
Lophat, I do use a wireless mouse, but I do not play windowed. After the "automatic" fire incident ai described above I changed the batteries. Next map -BOOM-, but at least just one as the battle started. Anti virus running but can't think of any other processes.

knaT_sdrawkcaB #8 Posted Jul 25 2011 - 19:19

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 12060 battles
Some people use this to change ammo because they do not know pressing '3' twice will change to the ammo in slot 3.

I also had to turn off the touch-pad mouse on my laptop when playing.  Occasionally I would accidentally hit the "Fire" button with my wrist.

Hope those tips help someone.

knaT

Ricox #9 Posted Jul 25 2011 - 20:15

Major

• Players
  • 3801 battles
  • [F-AUX] F-AUX
I make random shots for the sake of hearing the cannon sound fire. During battle I am too busy fighting to enjoy the almighty and fericious sound that my tank's cannon makes. And I really see nothing wrong with my random shots, I shoot in the air or at a building when none is nearby so I can hear that epic sound, that's all. A lot of people do it when they get a new cannon and they can't wait to hear the sound of their newly installed monster.

1858remington #10 Posted Jul 26 2011 - 10:00

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 32512 battles
  • [-TIC-] -TIC-
Just remember, buildings are cover.  If you go destroying them at the start of the game, they wont be there to hide behind to avoid enemy fire.

There is one instance I can justify early firing. If your an SPG and you want to put a few rounds in places where enemy players tend to hide, AKA "use the Force", to get a kill.  After you play a while you will know where tanks have a high probability of being.

Also, if you are hiding and are hit by a round do yourself a favor.....  MOVE SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!  Just staying in the same place is asking to be hit again.  

For example: an enemy scout comes into your area. Once they are there, you have been identified on the enemies mini map. This makes you a visible target for SPG's, and other tanks. DON'T STAY PUT...  MOVE.  Find another spot to hide once the scout has been delt with.  If you stay put, they will keep targeting that location and will kill your tank.

Light tanks may not have much armor, but they have speed and meneuverability.  If your moving your a harder tank to hit.  So if your not hiding, you better be moving, or you will be dead.

Ricox #11 Posted Jul 26 2011 - 10:22

Major

• Players
  • 3801 battles
  • [F-AUX] F-AUX
remington, I don't think that the topic of this thread is anyhow related to being spotted and moving after being spotted, it's about randomly shooting your cannon at the beginning of the match.

warthogfan #12 Posted Jul 26 2011 - 15:11

Sergeant

• Players
  • 15800 battles
I am an arty driver and just but always, as soon as the gun is loaded, put a round into the enemy base area.  1100+ I am confident I know what I am doing and won't hit team mates because where I'm is somewhere they haven't got to yet. I have damaged opponets too as you learn hiding spots. So if you see an M7 Priest firing at the start, don't panic I won't be firing anywhere you.
Totally agree about trees though.  The moment I see trees or buildings going down, bang put a few rounds in.

Fenxis #13 Posted Jul 26 2011 - 19:52

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 40204 battles
  • [BUCKT] BUCKT

View Post1858remington, on Jul 25 2011 - 06:27, said:

I found the right mouse button look around to be useless.

:(

Chojin #14 Posted Jul 26 2011 - 20:19

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 4061 battles
I agree in general with this post.   Often those random starter shots come dangerously close to hitting allies. If players must do it in spite of the cost, they should at least make sure to aim, not just shoot around like monkeys with a rifle.  

As Ricox has said sometimes players want to try their brand new canon and I will admit I have on rare occasions  taken pot shot toward a church tower in Abbey or that ski lift on Mountain Pass just to see if it was destructible (They're not).   But I always made sure I have a clean line of fire.

View Post1858remington, on Jul 26 2011 - 10:00, said:

Also, if you are hiding and are hit by a round do yourself a favor.....  MOVE SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!  Just staying in the same place is asking to be hit again.
Shhhh.   There are few things more satisfying than getting one of those blind kills :Smile-playing:

Angalacon #15 Posted Jul 26 2011 - 20:54

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 2354 battles

View Post1858remington, on Jul 25 2011 - 06:27, said:

Here's a neat trick:  I found the right mouse button look around to be useless.  I reconfigured the right mouse button to be the shift aim key.  Now I can flip between normal and aimed shooting faster during combat. great for a fast aimed shot in the heat of combat.

I find this puzzling. Right-click to swivel your view and leave your turret pointing at potential targets is a hugely useful feature. If you don't use this feature, everywhere you look swivels your turret and that will ruin a lot of "fast aimed shot" opportunities. Not only will your turret potentially be facing sideways, your aiming circle is bigger because of the potentially long traverse to get your gun poitning the right way again.
Also, the shift key is already the quick-switch between 3rd person and gunsight views so i don't see the benefit... maybe put it on your mouse button 3 4 or 5 instead.

Anyway, you new guys, i don't recommend you try this trick until you've had a bunch of games under your belt and can make the determination of turret-lock's value yourselves.

Good post otherwise.

Ricox #16 Posted Jul 27 2011 - 09:53

Major

• Players
  • 3801 battles
  • [F-AUX] F-AUX
Oh and I just noticed his "I found the right mouse button look around to be useless." statement. I can only say that it's very wrong. I can't even describe how many times this has been useful to me - I keep my turret and cannon straight, press the button and then look around for enemies without having my cannon move around like crazy and in the end an enemy appears right infront of me and due to this I am able to fire at it instantly even thought my camera has been pointed towards my rear the whole time, looking at my teammates to see when they're set up etc.

Dark_Sight #17 Posted Jul 27 2011 - 10:21

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 64357 battles
I just had 2 games were my tank shot 3 times, but I didn't fire the shot. Just by moving my gun did it. A glitch somewhere. and I'm not a newbe!

Bobomite #18 Posted Jul 27 2011 - 19:16

Captain

• Players
  • 19224 battles
  • [BOBO] BOBO
When I was new, I would sometimes fire into the ground to change ammo types.  But remember you can just double-tap the correct ammo type button "3-3," real fast and change ammo without firing.

Even if you are careful not to hit any friendlies in base, many players are very annoyed with any shooting at the start of a battle and they will leave you to die out there once the action picks up.  

Probably because you look like a newbie for not knowing how to change the ammo in your gun without shooting, therefore they discount you immediately.

solipsistnation #19 Posted Jul 27 2011 - 19:40

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 8884 battles
  • [DCVI] DCVI
I'd suggest that new players avoid using auto-aim and stick to manual aiming-- autoaim is kind of flaky, doesn't always take into account target velocity (that is, it won't lead your target), and in general will make you lazy.

Also, I occasionally fire at the start of the match when I have a new vehicle and I want to find out how long it takes to reload. I don't do this with allies nearby, though, because that would just be dumb.

I've also seen players-- usually with low-tier tanks with autocannons-- who apparently have autofire on and just drive around shooting constantly like idiots. THIS IS NOT USEFUL EVER.

ToothDecay #20 Posted Jul 30 2011 - 19:59

Major

• Players
  • 26964 battles
  • [NARC] NARC
I've also seen players-- usually with low-tier tanks with autocannons-- who apparently have autofire on and just drive around shooting constantly like idiots. THIS IS NOT USEFUL EVER.
[/quote]

I find it VERY useful.  To target them.  SSShhhhhh...........

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users