The Newbies Guide to Being A Newb

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

Zardnaar #1 Posted Jul 26 2011 - 00:33

Major

• Players
  • 20352 battles
First things 1st. I am a newb and have been playing this game for a total of 3 weeks or so. I have been on holiday so it seems to have turned into a full time job. I have managed to grind to tier 7 with an IS, Jagdpanther and T-43 and I have a stable of 10 tanks. Here are some observations I have made.

1. Russians Are Overpowered.
It is a perception here the Russian stuff is overpowered. IMHO this may only be applicable at the higher tiers. My accuracy with Russian tanks for example hovers around 50% while my German stuff is 60-71% in my new toys. With a few exceptions the German stuff also has higher penetration and is a lot more accurate at long range. American stuff has high rates of fire and is in the middle between Russian damage and German accuracy. I prefer a higher rate of fire and accuracy myself and if I could put the long German 88m on a Russian tank I would.

2. The Big Gun Always Isn't the Best
A lot of people like uber damage but I prefer high penetration and a higher rate of fire. I actually improved when I ripped the 105mm off of my Hetzer and put in a smaller gun. I also like the 57mm zis on the T-34 and T-28. I grinded through much of tier 3 and 4 on the American TD line using the humble 57mm those TDs have access to. At higher tiers ammo starts becoming expensive. My IS and Jpanther big guns cost 1000 credits a shot. On the Jagdpanther I ripped out the 105mm and went back to the long 88mm. The reason was the 105mm cost 1000 credits a shot and the long 88 was 250 credits per shot. In the 88 vs 105 debate they both had the same penetration but the 105 dealt 50% more damage while the 88 had a roughly 50% higher rate of fire so DPM (damage per minute) was identical except the 88 was more accurate and a lot cheaper to fire.

3. Give larger tanks the right of way/Driving in General.

Heavy tanks take a while to start accelerating and if u zip in front of one it is really your fault especially if u have a lighter tank. Be aware that accidents happen but some players are really not aware of their surroundings and I hate getting track damage form collisions. Be very careful if you ram a TD and damage it especially the tracks. I will admit to friendly fire "accidents" that damage or kill annoying team mates. On 4 occasions I have deliberately team killed people for damaging me with excessively bad driving usually repeated rammings. I'm not the only one to do this so don't be to surprised if u get blasted by ur own team if you're an idiot. Slow down, be aware of what is around you and if you do hit someone you have a reverse key (its S BTW).

4. Positioning.
This is related to being a fail tank or a menace to your own team. If you are a big enough menace once again I have seen team kills over it. Do not use other TDs as cover or heavy tanks as cover by parking right up their exhaust pipe. This means that my TD can't reverse if I need to and I have died due to people doing this. Similar deal with a heavy tank. I don't mind if people use my tank as cover as long as I can reverse if I have to and I don't get shot in the rear. I have been blocked in before as a heavy with someone blatantly using my tank as cover right up my rear with no other option for escape. I asked them to move and they still didn't and I took several big hits for this. I was made enough to put a 122mm shell into the back of the tank that done this. You ruin my game I ruin yours. I'm vindictive with a low tolerance level for idiots. Jumping in front of heavy tanks and blocking line of sight is also another one. Your little 37mm or auto cannons wont do much to a heavy tank and you just blocked line of sight for my big gun. Even worse if your light tank gets blown away depending on the positioning you just gave cover to the enemy tanks. Some maps have ideal spots for TDs and the like. Let the higher tier TD’s take them instead of parking ur bottom ranked tank or Lee in a great spot when you are in the bottom 5 tanks. Odds are you will just get blown away anyway.

5. Invisible Tanks.
The spotting in this game can be a little funny at times. A tank above you on a small rise can sometimes be invisible to you but they can see you fine. The other reason for invisible tanks is your tank may not have very good vision especially if you are a heavy tank. I have sniped at around 500 metres or so vs heavies who can't even see me to return fire. On Malinkova for example a Marder II with binocs can actually see the other teams tanks and that means I can hit your spawning area more or less and you can't see me. Binocs cost 500 000 credits and are almost essential for TDs. Hiding is another thing as well. If you park behind a bush for example and do not move or fire your gun for 6 seconds you are hiding which depending on your tank and the extent of cover means  you can't be seen.  Camo nets give you +25% chance to hide and an elite tank can be trained in the camo skill which when combined with camo nets mean TDs for example can be exceptionally hard to spot. I have been blown away by a Ferdinand I did not see until I was almost on top of him. Use cover, terrain and range to your advantage to be the invisible tank.

6. Crew Skill/Training.

There is a tendency to try and grind through the tiers as quickly as you can. However an elite vehicle grants you a 50% bonus to credits and maybe xp (?) earned if you continue using it. A crew skill of 100% is great as you get to train your crew in camouflage, repairs or fire fighting.  I usually buy a new crew at 75% crew skill which costs 100 000 credits. If my crew skill is near 100% I will usually keep grinding that crew until it is 100% even if I have unlocked the next tank and tier. The reason is once you pick up a skill at 100% you can retrain them to 90% in your new tank (100 000credits) but the skill they have will keep increasing even though your crew is not at 100% any more.

7. Platoon Up.
I'm on premium which means I can platoon up with 1 or 2 friends. We have a "commander" that uses voice chat who usually picks a target to focus on and acts as a spotter even if he is dead. We usually take tanks of identical tier or take X2 or 3 TDs or artillery for example (focus fire). A co-ordinated platoon can deal damage far in excess of 3 individual tanks and in one game our platoon accounted for 80% of the opponents team on the Artic map defending the corner of doom. Kills (as in who gets them) do not really matter in this game and once you can get over that you will improve your game. I have had 0 kills before but have earned 20 000+credits and 1000+xp just by hitting lots of opponents and damaging them. Another tactic if you are hunting with a platoon is have one person dedicated to tracking heavy tanks. That means they can't run away and it can be a death sentence if that tank is trying to play peek a boo on a corner. If you have ever been in a heavy that always gets tracked there is probably someone like me on the other team dedicated to ruining your day and he is probably in a German tank.

8. HE, Weak Tanks

The matchmaker is a little bit borked but i have gotten used to being on the lower half of the game as it happens a lot. Rather than worry about being on the bottom or near to it I have a look at what tanks the enemy actually has. Often you can realistically expect to damage or kill the bottom 10 or so of the other team and if you are in a light tank with a semi decent gun you can often kill arty and TDs.
Rather than suicide scout what for a bit and try and sneak through hole somewhere and if you have a very fast tank you ca often zip by a group of distracted heavies if they are in a dual with your teams heavies. Often they instinctively hate having tanks behind them and will track you with their turrets or even turn around to face you exposing their flanks to a side or rear shot. Even with 0 kills a light tank can get alot of xp by capping the enemy or can go hunting weak targets at the back. HE is also good and at tier 5/6 I often carried a 40/60 mix of AP and HE. He is is good vs tanks which are higher in tier than you as it can damage them without having to penetrate. Also aim at weak spots as HE can easily get a lot of crits even if it is for 0 damage. Do not get to carried away as even if you are 2-3 tiers lower than what you are shooting at you are not going to kill a huge amount this way. I killed my 1st tier 7 with a tier 4 tank and my 1st Lowe at tier 5 using HE though. Another example would be on the Sand River Map a group of TDs killed a KV5 using mass volleys of HE rounds. We had 5 weak TDs including our platoon and I fired 13 (jagpanzer IV) aimed shots the M-36 slugger ran out of ammo, and the Jagdpanzer IV  beside me used 20 with his 75mm. Main point was the KV5 died after getting tracked and getting hit with multiple critical hits at long range.

9. Money
How do you earn more money beside the obvious kill more stuff or buying a Lowe? I'm on premium which does give you an extra 50% xp and credits but in effect it doubles your money. That is because repairs are a fixed cost. Example you earn 10 000 credits but your tank gets destroyed and requires 5000 credits in repairs. You make a profit of 5000 credits. On premium however you would get 15000 credits and make a profit of 10 000 credits. This is just an example but premium makes a massive difference to your money. A good game costs $50 and WoT is free so even a 1-2 month premium subscription can be great and is cheap entertainment.  Another option is using elite tanks (combined with premium for even more credits) and tier 5-6 tanks have the best damage vs cheap shells to use and repair costs. An early credit farmer is a tier 3 Marder II TD as it is cheap and can be used to kill/damage tier 4,5 and 6 tanks with its best gun and one shot the lower tier ones. Tier 3 means you will get reasonably good match ups and due to the power of your gun you can kill/wound
higher tier stuff for a lot of money and credits. Tier 4 sucks as you have semi useless light tanks and will get match ups with Lowes and the like quite a bit. The Marder II is a mini printing press along with the 750 gold Pz38H premium tanks which for its tier is more broken than the Lowe. My garage has a elite Stug and T-34 and I'm working on getting an elite Leopard and Panzer IV. The final way to get money is on the double credit game days like Kursk and the upcoming Husky. German tanks are especially good here as they will always be available as Russian and American tanks may be excluded. On Operation Kursk I was averaging 20-30K with my T-34/KV/Stug while a good fight could get me 60K+ and some of my platoon friends managed 75K of credits per fight. I would recommend getting and keeping an elite Stug and Panzer IV which are nice little money earners even on normal days as those tanks say combat in virtually every historical German campaign (Stug III not in early ones obviously). On Kursk I made 2 million credits and I didn't have enough TDs researched to grab a half priced Ferdinand.

10. Toys
Toys are the various things you can buy for your tanks. Things like camo nets, rammers and the like. I try and buy rammers for all my tanks. My TDs usually have camo nets and binocs as well and they are both free to move around while rammers require 10 gold to unequip them. My IS tank has a rammer and a tool box installed along with a crew trained in the repair skill as I hate getting tracked. Rammers for heavy tanks are expensive so I use a little bit of gold to move them around. Premium ammo is also nice but not really worth buying in massive quantities. If I buy 3000 gold I normally buy a month of premium with it, a garage slot and the remaining 200 is used on premium ammo, moving modules around and converting xp to free xp. I may carry 2-5 premium rounds in my best tanks usually as a present for any tank that annoys me or maybe to ruin a Lowe drivers day.

ForcestormX #2 Posted Jul 26 2011 - 00:38

Major

• Players
  • 10420 battles
I'm out of plus ones, but I have to say as a fellow newbie, well done little ditty, +1 to you.

Chrazel #3 Posted Jul 26 2011 - 02:27

Staff sergeant

• Beta Testers
  • 6556 battles
+1 :)

Skebet #4 Posted Jul 26 2011 - 04:44

Corporal

• Players
  • 5055 battles
+1  As a 1 week noob this post is gold.

Necrolegion #5 Posted Jul 26 2011 - 05:34

Major

• Players
  • 20554 battles
Hmmm... read your entire post and could not help but see all the spelling errors.

You do bring up some valid points though. Nice read by the way. You might want to clear up your grammar a bit so we can keep this thread alive.

Zardnaar #6 Posted Jul 26 2011 - 07:48

Major

• Players
  • 20352 battles
I was in a hurry when I typed this and I did not use a word processor. I have hopefully fixed it up alot and edited it.

SirEmilCrane #7 Posted Jul 27 2011 - 13:57

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5151 battles
Worst guide ever, nah jk, you bring up some good points. (Know this guy IRL btw)

FluffytheDestroyer #8 Posted Jul 27 2011 - 14:35

Sergeant

• Players
  • 510 battles

View PostZardnaar, on Jul 26 2011 - 00:33, said:

6. Crew Skill/Training.
There is a tendency to try and grind through the tiers as quickly as you can. However an elite vehicle grants you a 50% bonus to credits and maybe xp (?) earned if you continue using it.

This is incorrect. Elite status does not give a bonus to credits. Here is the information from the wiki.

Rapid Training - available only after your tank achieves Elite Status - provides a bonus to Crew Experience equal to 100% of the experience earned by the vehicle. That bonus is then divided by the number of crew in the tank and that is what each crew member earns (reduced by -50% if the crew member died).

The only thing Elite status does on its own is give you the ability to use rapid training. Rapid training gives you a 100% boost to your experience which is then distributed amongst your crew.

Example: A tank earns 1000 exp with Rapid Training turned on.
(4 crew) Each of the 4 crew members would earn (1000 + 1000/4) = 1250
(5 crew) Each of the 5 crew members would earn (1000 + 1000/5) = 1200
(6 crew) Each of the 6 crew members would earn (1000 + 1000/6) = 1166.67
With no rapid training, and regardless of the crew size, each crew member would earn 1000 exp.

Otherwise, good post and good information. +1

AIIen #9 Posted Jul 27 2011 - 16:30

Sergeant

• Players
  • 21517 battles
helpful post! +1 for you, sir, and may your tribe increase!

Bobomite #10 Posted Jul 27 2011 - 19:04

Captain

• Players
  • 19224 battles
  • [BOBO] BOBO
This is good advice, read it all if you are learning the game.

I would add one topic: You and your your minimap.  Many, many players loose situational awareness once they start engaging the enemy.  Glancing at the minimap once every 10-20 seconds will help you out a lot.

Example - let's say you are part of a group of 4 tanks, firing on targets and in no big danger.  You have good hull down positions, maybe some cover.  Many players just get comfortable and blast off round after round.  You are in a group, so feeling safe.  This is fun, you are on top of things and doing damage, right?

But remember -  check the minimap and consider things.  If you would help your team more if you moved back to base, the other flank, etc., then do it!  You might be getting flanked, or the other flank might have collapsed...  All your hard work will be worth a lot less in exp. and credits if your team looses.  It might be good news too - the other flank might be wide open and you are banging your head against the bulk of the enemy tanks.

Also - if and when you ping the minimap, also type in the chat WHY you pinged the minimap.  

Many new players go ping ping ping and everyone gets annoyed, and the player is frustrated because no one did what they were thinking.  Well, a ping on the minimap could mean anything.  No one knows why you pinged it, in most cases.

If it's that important that you need your 14 teammates to see the flashing box and hear the ping, then take 2 more seconds and type something relevant in chat.  Example - Ping!  "many tanks"  or "flank open" or "help" or "just wanted to say hi"  (Don't do the last one.)  :)

Zardnaar #11 Posted Jul 28 2011 - 00:59

Major

• Players
  • 20352 battles

View PostSirEmilCrane, on Jul 27 2011 - 13:57, said:

Worst guide ever, nah jk, you bring up some good points. (Know this guy IRL btw)

Oops I was wrong about an elite tanks. They are good xp farmers which you can use gold on to convert to free xp oops.

Be nice TE. Check your account sometime. U have a new T-28 with the first 57mm gun researched (haven't bought it yet), and a Marder with the nasty gun on it as well. Even grinded your Shermen up a bit and the Marder should be a nice little credit farm for you.

SirEmilCrane #12 Posted Jul 28 2011 - 03:29

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5151 battles

View PostZardnaar, on Jul 28 2011 - 00:59, said:

Oops I was wrong about an elite tanks. They are good xp farmers which you can use gold on to convert to free xp oops.

Be nice TE. Check your account sometime. U have a new T-28 with the first 57mm gun researched (haven't bought it yet), and a Marder with the nasty gun on it as well. Even grinded your Shermen up a bit and the Marder should be a nice little credit farm for you.

Thanks, I should be able to play this weekend.

Anyway, for new players I can't stress situational awareness enough. Many time I have seen enemy tanks expose their flank or rear to me just to shoot some light tank with an autocannon. Be aware where your team mates are, where the main body of the enemy is and where everyones shooting and driving. Someone driving in front of you while you try to line up a shot is sooooooo annoying.

Heavyfeet #13 Posted Aug 02 2011 - 20:13

Corporal

• Players
  • 5620 battles
As a fellow newb I thank-you for your thoughts /salute

I just started playing WoT 2 days ago and I'm finding it quite addicting.

Cheers
Heavyfeet

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users