Defence at Ortona

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

lightwaveTT #61 Posted Jul 06 2016 - 04:49

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 12472 battles

Block Quote

So that’s the setup. As your small tactical exercise for yourself, have a think about how you might attempt to overcome such obstacles. We’ll come back to this to see how the Canadians went about it on Friday.

Since i have no clue about this battle i thought about it, i came up with this rough draft. Though its kinda hard to see by the image the elevations. If those are cliffs by the coast, sending a force to take them first, before the other two moves began would be smart.

Edited by lightwaveTT, Jul 06 2016 - 05:04.

FrozenKemp #62 Posted Feb 03 2017 - 06:23

Major

• Players
  • 41671 battles

View PostUbiquinate, on Jun 30 2016 - 18:34, said:

Ortona, that's a battle I haven't heard mentioned in a long time. If anyone is curious, I believe Mark Zuehlka wrote a book on it, along with another forgotten Canadian Italy adventure in the Liri Valley. We got the short end of the stick almost throughout the war, given all the difficult assignments, and still succeeded. Hell the main reason we were in Italy in the first place was to give General Crerar proper command training for the Normandy landings.

Personally though I rate the Scheldt as the worse campaign, it was pointless, never needed to happen, treated as secondary by Montgomery, and offered a pretty good interpretation of World War 1 trench fighting. My parents were friends with the man who was Guy Simmonds' sergeant major, and he refused to discuss that period at all.

Zuelke did write a book, just called Ortona - in fact I'm reading it currently which is why I decided to post.

Sad to say that in the fighting leading up to Ortona many men were lost in...  "unimaginative" attacks thanks to Major Vokes. Reading the book got me angry in the same way I feel angry when I think about Dieppe. 

I wonder if Canada's contributions in WW2 are overlooked because more than the British or Americans we didn't come away with a lot to celebrate.  Italy was a long hard unthanked-for slog, and the general opinion of our performance in Normandy was apparently not good (but see the re-evaluation in Terry Copp's two books).  We had no Battle of Britain, El Alamein, or Midway.  Well, I guess that's why we focus on the liberation of the Netherlands. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users