• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

Ubiquinate #21 Posted Jun 24 2016 - 08:48

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13875 battles

View PostKrentel, on Jun 24 2016 - 00:28, said:

You called it. Cameron just resigned.

Technically he said he'll resign sometime within 3 months :P, although guaranteed that timeline will quickly die given the back benchers will smell blood in the water. I'll be amazed if Cameron lasts beyond July, if only so the Conservatives can call Chapter 50 as fast as possible and forestall any UKIP momentum.

Also Corbyn is (surprise surprise) now getting calls to resign too, not helped by Corbyn calling for immediate invocation of Chaper 50 either.

Never thought I'd see the day British politics gets upended in the span of a single night.

Klaatu_Nicto #22 Posted Jun 24 2016 - 08:50

Major

• Players
  • 44044 battles

Brexit Upends Global Markets as Stocks, Pound Plunge; Yen Soars

Central banks are standing ready to intervene as reaction in financial markets proves reminiscent of late 2008, at the height of the global financial crisis.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-06-23/pound-surge-builds-as-polls-show-u-k-to-remain-in-eu-yen-slips

Verminkiller #23 Posted Jun 24 2016 - 09:27

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 36193 battles

Cameron's exit if he lost was obvious. His position had now become untenable.

As for the markets falling that was inevitable with "Leave" winning, they don't like instability.

I would wait for a bit before doom and despair.

As for the rest of the EU they should have read the warning signs and made some real concessions.

They've been there for some 10/15 years, and have been getting stronger. 

Horribad_At_Tanks #24 Posted Jun 24 2016 - 09:32

Major

• Players
  • 2268 battles

Early optimism for the break for american business interests.

http://nypost.com/20...lebrate-brexit/

View PostVerminkiller, on Jun 24 2016 - 03:27, said:

Cameron's exit if he lost was obvious. His position had now become untenable.

As for the markets falling that was inevitable with "Leave" winning, they don't like instability.

I would wait for a bit before doom and despair.

As for the rest of the EU they should have read the warning signs and made some real concessions.

They've been there for some 10/15 years, and have been getting stronger. 

Once the immigration issue finally blows up in the eu's face people will be calling the brexit a case of getting out when the getting was good.

thandiflight #25 Posted Jun 24 2016 - 09:58

Major

• Players
  • 86239 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

Take careful note America, this is what you'll get if you put Donald in.

As for solving the immigration issue it is about as sensible as building a wall. Walls won't solve your problems if your problems are internal.

listen to the words....learn the history...

P.S. Josh Groban sang this song and said it was about peace and change and hope. The man's a f*cking idiot. It is a song about repression and fear and violence and hiding it behind a wall and pretending that everything is okay and peaceful.

Edited by thandiflight, Jun 24 2016 - 10:37.

Horribad_At_Tanks #26 Posted Jun 24 2016 - 10:12

Major

• Players
  • 2268 battles

View Postthandiflight, on Jun 24 2016 - 03:58, said:

As for solving the immigration issue it is about as sensible as building a wall. Walls won't solve your problems if your problems are internal.

The american immigration issue is easy to solve. Enforce the laws on the books instead of ignoring them. That's all that needs to be done. When obama entered his first term one of the first directives was to the border patrol to stand down and not enforce the borders anymore and to give each crosser they caught a 6 months court paper to get a hearing on a green card etc and as a fare thee well on his way out the door he went even further. That's the problem and we don't need a wall to solve it just sane leadership. Now I wouldn't be against a wall as there are some right dangerous folks we need to keep out who won't respect an open border but that's a secondary concern to getting the millions of illegals registered and paying taxes and stopping the inflow so it can be done like it's supposed to be done. That's all I want and welcome them with open arms if they just register and get off the government handout train and contribute. Is that wrong?

Tolos #27 Posted Jun 24 2016 - 10:25

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 25997 battles
  • [GDF] GDF
As an Englishman I believe this is a mistake of colossal proportions.

Edited by Tolos, Jun 24 2016 - 10:25.

thandiflight #28 Posted Jun 24 2016 - 10:30

Major

• Players
  • 86239 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostHorribad_At_Tanks, on Jun 24 2016 - 09:12, said:

The american immigration issue is easy to solve. Enforce the laws on the books instead of ignoring them. That's all that needs to be done. When obama entered his first term one of the first directives was to the border patrol to stand down and not enforce the borders anymore and to give each crosser they caught a 6 months court paper to get a hearing on a green card etc and as a fare thee well on his way out the door he went even further. That's the problem and we don't need a wall to solve it just sane leadership. Now I wouldn't be against a wall as there are some right dangerous folks we need to keep out who won't respect an open border but that's a secondary concern to getting the millions of illegals registered and paying taxes and stopping the inflow so it can be done like it's supposed to be done. That's all I want and welcome them with open arms if they just register and get off the government handout train and contribute. Is that wrong?

It is easy to blame your problems on illegal immigrants. It is easy for Britain and Europe to blame their problems on immigrants and refugees. America is a nation of immigrants and refugees. This is what has made it diverse, strong and able - for the most part - to be its own biggest critic. You don't get this by building a wall and shutting the doors. Of course you won't solve all the problems and of course there will be problems but to do the other thing is to abandon the very principles on which the Unites States was created. To quote one of your most famous Presidents and an inspiration to all those who believe in liberty and tolerance: "Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal..." There is nothing left to say. Either you believe it and you live it, or you abandon it and give up what you value the most.

Edited by thandiflight, Jun 24 2016 - 10:32.

Horribad_At_Tanks #29 Posted Jun 24 2016 - 10:46

Major

• Players
  • 2268 battles

View Postthandiflight, on Jun 24 2016 - 04:30, said:

It is easy to blame your problems on illegal immigrants. It is easy for Britain and Europe to blame their problems on immigrants and refugees. America is a nation of immigrants and refugees. This is what has made it diverse, strong and able - for the most part - to be its own biggest critic. You don't get this by building a wall and shutting the doors. Of course you won't solve all the problems and of course there will be problems but to do the other thing is to abandon the very principles on which the Unites States was created. To quote one of your most famous Presidents and an inspiration to all those who believe in liberty and tolerance: "Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation, conceived in liberty and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal..." There is nothing left to say. Either you believe it and you live it, or you abandon it and give up what you value the most.

What problems? You watching mass media hype again? The vast overwhelming majority of our legal immigrants and natural born citizens are getting along just dandy but the strain on the social systems is getting out of hand as you can't add millions to the welfare state and not increase the tax burden on legal tax paying citizens. Also I'm not talking about shutting down immigration or barring the doors I'm talking about enforcing the common sense laws on the books to ensure an orderly immigration process so everyone has a fair chance to get into the country and contribute. What about the other immigrants from overseas nations who can't just waltz across a field into texas or california and have to abide by the laws which can take years before they get an entry visa? How is this fair to them? What about the opinions of legal immigrants who oppose this flood of completely undocumented illegals making living hard for everyone involved?

Redaction #30 Posted Jun 24 2016 - 10:59

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9404 battles

View PostKrentel, on Jun 24 2016 - 02:31, said:

People saying NO! to the New World Order. It's exciting.

Yes, globalism must be reversed. People who want globalism and a one world order are short sighted, selfish, and already lost.

Redaction #31 Posted Jun 24 2016 - 11:01

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 9404 battles

View Postthandiflight, on Jun 24 2016 - 03:58, said:

listen to the words....learn the history...

P.S. Josh Groban sang this song and said it was about peace and change and hope. The man's a f*cking idiot. It is a song about repression and fear and violence and hiding it behind a wall and pretending that everything is okay and peaceful.

I guess we should elect clinton right? Do you people even look at what she did as secretary of state? Or do you just watch the liberal media, that will at all costs slander trump and put forward the will of government and big business.

thandiflight #32 Posted Jun 24 2016 - 11:02

Major

• Players
  • 86239 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostHorribad_At_Tanks, on Jun 24 2016 - 09:46, said:

What problems? You watching mass media hype again? The vast overwhelming majority of our legal immigrants and natural born citizens are getting along just dandy but the strain on the social systems is getting out of hand as you can't add millions to the welfare state and not increase the tax burden on legal tax paying citizens. Also I'm not talking about shutting down immigration or barring the doors I'm talking about enforcing the common sense laws on the books to ensure an orderly immigration process so everyone has a fair chance to get into the country and contribute. What about the other immigrants from overseas nations who can't just waltz across a field into texas or california and have to abide by the laws which can take years before they get an entry visa? How is this fair to them? What about the opinions of legal immigrants who oppose this flood of completely undocumented illegals making living hard for everyone involved?

Have you seen the irony in what you stated?

kebab6597 #33 Posted Jun 24 2016 - 11:04

Major

• Players
  • 58049 battles
  • [D-DAY] D-DAY

View Postthandiflight, on Jun 24 2016 - 09:30, said:

It is easy to blame your problems on illegal immigrants. It is easy for Britain and Europe to blame their problems on immigrants and refugees.

The problem with EU membership is much deeper than immigrants and refugees that is just something being brought to the forefront by media hype although being able to vet who comes into our country will be an added bonus 

Now we are about to leave the EU we can finally make our own laws and abolish taxes imposed by the EU we can trade freely with the rest of the world again without quotas and barriers we can vote in and out those that govern us (we have no say over who runs the EU they are appointed and cannot be voted out)

The list of things we can now look forward to doing as an independent country is endless and offers great opportunities for all

Heck for countries like America, Canada, AU/NZ and many more it means Britain can now trade freely without the limitations the EU placed upon us

thandiflight #34 Posted Jun 24 2016 - 11:07

Major

• Players
  • 86239 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostRedaction, on Jun 24 2016 - 10:01, said:

I guess we should elect clinton right? Do you people even look at what she did as secretary of state? Or do you just watch the liberal media, that will at all costs slander trump and put forward the will of government and big business.

No, clearly what you need is more good guys with guns. Anyhow I am not about to tell Americans who to vote for, I think for the most part you can figure that one out for yourselves. As for the media, whatever their persuasion, that is another matter entirely.

Edited by thandiflight, Jun 24 2016 - 11:10.

Shrike58 #35 Posted Jun 24 2016 - 11:08

Major

• Players
  • 70426 battles

View PostUbiquinate, on Jun 24 2016 - 01:40, said:

The only certainty from this is Osbourne is gone in 48 hours, Cameron is gone within 2 weeks, and Corbyn will resign before the year is out.

Every major party sided with the losing side, there are going to be serious calls for house cleaning in the days and weeks to come.

Labour, however, is probably going to get the biggest calls of them all. It takes an obscene level of stupidity to be that disconnected from your voter base.

As for the economy there won't be a recession, there won't be catastrophe. Britain will remain in the EU for up to two years more under Chapter 50 while negotiations occur.

Contrary to the fear mongering, the EU needs Britain economically as much as Britain needs the EU. Unless the EU wants to shoot itself in head, Britain's exit is going to be relatively mild.

The real fun begins when you think about what France, Netherlands, Greece, and Italy are going to do now though. Britain's leave vote just legitimized a whole host of Euro skeptic movements.

Whatever you think about this, and I think that the people pushing for leaving the EU are mostly acting in bad faith, mass immigration looks like the issue that will break the EU.

Horribad_At_Tanks #36 Posted Jun 24 2016 - 11:09

Major

• Players
  • 2268 battles

View Postthandiflight, on Jun 24 2016 - 05:02, said:

Have you seen the irony in what you stated?

That's not a proper reply. You have to explain yourself as I'm not a mindreader and peoples views on the subject vary about as much as grains of sand on a beach. So where is the irony of wanting the current and sensible immigration laws enforced instead of bypassed? How were the views expressed by the legal latino citizen on the completely unregulated flow of illegals flooding in ironic?

Shrike58 #37 Posted Jun 24 2016 - 11:11

Major

• Players
  • 70426 battles

View PostUbiquinate, on Jun 24 2016 - 02:48, said:

Technically he said he'll resign sometime within 3 months :P, although guaranteed that timeline will quickly die given the back benchers will smell blood in the water. I'll be amazed if Cameron lasts beyond July, if only so the Conservatives can call Chapter 50 as fast as possible and forestall any UKIP momentum.

Also Corbyn is (surprise surprise) now getting calls to resign too, not helped by Corbyn calling for immediate invocation of Chaper 50 either.

Never thought I'd see the day British politics gets upended in the span of a single night.

While I think there's going to be a lot buyer's remorse in the days to come this is a sign of another party system that's intellectually bankrupt.

Edited by Shrike58, Jun 24 2016 - 11:12.

Horribad_At_Tanks #38 Posted Jun 24 2016 - 11:17

Major

• Players
  • 2268 battles

View PostShrike58, on Jun 24 2016 - 05:11, said:

While I think there's going to be a lot buyer's remorse in the days to come this is a sign of another party system that's intellectually bankrupt.

Only if the eu holds together. That's looking grimmer and grimmer by the day and they already technically lost sweden and denmark to the invasion.

Shrike58 #39 Posted Jun 24 2016 - 11:24

Major

• Players
  • 70426 battles

View PostHorribad_At_Tanks, on Jun 24 2016 - 05:17, said:

Only if the eu holds together. That's looking grimmer and grimmer by the day and they already technically lost sweden and denmark to the invasion.

I will give you this, the debacle of sacrificing European economic growth for the sake of German pensioners is not much of an advertisement for the EU!  Then again, the Tories were also big enthusiasts of austerity for its own sake; how's that working out for you Mr. Cameron?

thandiflight #40 Posted Jun 24 2016 - 11:27

Major

• Players
  • 86239 battles
  • [SIMP] SIMP

View PostHorribad_At_Tanks, on Jun 24 2016 - 10:09, said:

That's not a proper reply. You have to explain yourself as I'm not a mindreader and peoples views on the subject vary about as much as grains of sand on a beach. So where is the irony of wanting the current and sensible immigration laws enforced instead of bypassed? How were the views expressed by the legal latino citizen on the completely unregulated flow of illegals flooding in ironic?

Oh yes it is. Do I need to explain irony? Read what you wrote. It is ironic. First two questions then your statement.

Hey I respect sovereignty and the rule of Law. I have experienced your CABP on a valid passport and ESTA and I am surprised anybody would want to visit your Country let alone try to get in illegally. As far as I know an illegal immigrant is not allowed any social services in the USA but I stand to be corrected. As for building a 30 ft wall all that will result in is a dramatic increase in the sale of 31 ft ladders and 30 ft ropes.

As for the British - particularly the English - getting along with the rest of Europe whoever came up with that idea? Aside from the economic implications I am sure the rest of Europe heaved a huge collective sign of relief. No disrespect intended.

Edited by thandiflight, Jun 24 2016 - 11:29.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users