Question on How others manage their time/progression

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

cypher1337 #1 Posted Jul 26 2011 - 18:54

Corporal

• Players
  • 12792 battles
Currently I keep a couple of low tier vehicles I am improving my crew's stats so that I can use them to acquire the points needed to make other purchases.

My other vehicles I use to grind out exp towards better vehicles along their respective tech trees.

Do other people do this also or do most people use each vehicle to move up a different tech tree?

Just wondering how others manage this...

Ironmonger69 #2 Posted Jul 26 2011 - 19:00

Major

• Players
  • 7146 battles
Mostly the latter.  I can't leave a tank un-elited and compuslive saver that I am, rarely spend free XP.  I keep a lot of my tanks, mostly out of colletor instinct, not playing.  This isn't to say I haven't gone back and played other tanks to grind up XP or credits, but mostly not.  By the time I elite whatever tank I'm in, I usually have more than enough for the next (same for modules, usually).

Saving my Free XP is paying off for me this week, because otherwise I wouldn't be able to reach the PzKpfw IV in time for Operation Husky!

Zakume #3 Posted Jul 27 2011 - 04:16

Major

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 31858 battles

View Postcypher1337, on Jul 26 2011 - 18:54, said:

Currently I keep a couple of low tier vehicles I am improving my crew's stats so that I can use them to acquire the points needed to make other purchases.

My other vehicles I use to grind out exp towards better vehicles along their respective tech trees.

Do other people do this also or do most people use each vehicle to move up a different tech tree?

Not sure what you are saying...I must be missing something. I just went up 1 tree at the start and now I'm going up 2 trees at the same time. I have the M4A2E4 tank and saved a tier 6 from my first tree for credit making.

Geodux #4 Posted Jul 27 2011 - 04:46

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 13010 battles
  • [D0WNS] D0WNS
I'm terrible at saving free xp (too impatient) and only field tanks I'm currently grinding, except for my Lowe printing machine. The only tanks I plan on keeping are tanks I actually enjoy playing (like my Easy 8.)

Bobomite #5 Posted Jul 27 2011 - 19:53

Captain

• Players
  • 19224 battles
  • [BOBO] BOBO
I worked on 5 different branches from when I started.  This was very informative, and fun.

However, about the time you hit tier 7-8 you will want to pick a lane and focus.  Below tier 5 you can elite a tank in a dozen battles, but past tier 6 it can take hundreds of battles.

Necrolegion #6 Posted Jul 28 2011 - 07:28

Major

• Players
  • 21256 battles

View Postcypher1337, on Jul 26 2011 - 18:54, said:

Better question would be "why do people use the word grinding or simply grind?" I fail to see any connection or relationship with the game. Do you mean grinding as in metal to metal contact such as moving parts in the tank? Because irl metal to metal contact is prevented or slowed down with bearings or lubricants.

cypher1337 #7 Posted Jul 28 2011 - 16:47

Corporal

• Players
  • 12792 battles

View PostNecrolegion, on Jul 28 2011 - 07:28, said:

Better question would be "why do people use the word grinding or simply grind?" I fail to see any connection or relationship with the game. Do you mean grinding as in metal to metal contact such as moving parts in the tank? Because irl metal to metal contact is prevented or slowed down with bearings or lubricants.

In games where progression may be slow the term "grind" is often used.  More so in traditional MMO's where it may take a lot of exp to gain an additional rank or item in-game.  Hope that helps.

Shetland #8 Posted Jul 28 2011 - 18:37

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 21181 battles
I have played almost all the lower tier tanks.   I moved up a lot of lines at once.  Only problem I had was when I got three Tier 5 mediums at once  (M4, PZ4, T34).  It would have been better to finish one first instead of having all 3 in the garage at once.  You end up in the same battles a lot playing similar tanks.

To me, the best use of experience is not in skipping tanks, but in upgrading stock tanks faster.

Herr_Klug #9 Posted Jul 28 2011 - 19:33

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 43317 battles
Can't be king of the world if you're a slave to the grind.

I elite all mine too, no matter how much I hate them. Also, running in the lower tiers is lotsa fun.

cypher1337 #10 Posted Jul 28 2011 - 20:42

Corporal

• Players
  • 12792 battles
On my TD's I have been taking my time and getting them to elite.

However, on my light tanks esp. my tier 3 (Aus F I believe) I just did the exp to unlock the next tank.
I know I suck but I had an especially hard time with this tank.

Fumigator #11 Posted Jul 28 2011 - 21:02

Corporal

• Players
  • 5078 battles
My daily routine is to try to get one victory on every tank in the garage (currently 11 vehicles) to take advantage of the first victory double xp bonus. It's actually quite fun and provides a lot of vAriety. But it does have a drawback: there's no focus and after 1500+ battles I still don't own a tier 8 tank (and only one tier 7).

I would get bored of the game and stop playing if I only played one or two tanks all the time.

Captain_DirtyLeotard #12 Posted Jul 28 2011 - 22:10

Sergeant

• Players
  • 32458 battles
To the OP:

I think you are taking the right route so far.  You will eventually want to narrow your focus to 1 tank line if you can.  As others have stated its going to take you progressively longer to get through the higher tier tanks and upgrade them.  At least you now have a general feel for what the tank lines are about and may prefer one over another.  Not to mention helps you load up on free xp on those "special" days where you get more xp.

However, keep many other tanks for variety as you want to make sure you are playing for fun.  Each successive tank you get will require you to understand the competition all over again and you will be bottom of the barrel until you have elited the beast.  Getting a better tank after eliting the one you have is a cruel curse that is only broken once you have fully upgraded and have trained crews.

Necrolegion #13 Posted Jul 29 2011 - 08:03

Major

• Players
  • 21256 battles

View Postcypher1337, on Jul 28 2011 - 16:47, said:

In games where progression may be slow the term "grind" is often used.  More so in traditional MMO's where it may take a lot of exp to gain an additional rank or item in-game.  Hope that helps.

Thanks.. I had no clue what people meant by it. I have even had people use that word on me and this whole time I have just pretended I knew what they meant. (But in reality I didn't.) I'm lame.

cypher1337 #14 Posted Jul 29 2011 - 20:31

Corporal

• Players
  • 12792 battles
Yeah, I decided to try and work towards the KV and then KV-3.

I was able to work my way to the russian medium in one evening.

I'm going to put the german line on hold for now.

I have a lot of fun and make pretty good silver with my Pz Jg TD.  Even though its low tier...
I do get a little shared exp from it as well.

I can usually get at least 2 kills per round, and once got 7 kills in a round in it... :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users