Candians at Ortona

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

spdptl218 #41 Posted Aug 13 2016 - 03:05

Private

• Players
  • 4447 battles

View PostAnlushac11, on Jul 05 2016 - 23:17, said:

I was also perplexed by the PIAT comment since Projector Infantry Anti Tank is fired by a big spring thats hard as hell to [edited].

Its basically a spring fired HEAT round.

Maybe he is referring to the blast of the round going off when your inside same building or floor. It was my understanding that British Para's in Arnhem fired PIAT's from windows at German vehicles without problems.

Cadians...Someone plays Warhammer 40k ("Fear not and be proud, for we are the sons of Sanguinius, the protectors of Mankind. Aye, we are indeed the Angels of Death." )

The spring is powerful enough to throw the projectile a few yards, but the propellant charge does well over 90% of the work.  Think of basically something with the propellant charge of a couple of .50 cal rounds going off to propel a 2.5lb projectile to a max effective range against tanks in ideal conditions of 115yds and a maximum effective range against buildings of 350yds.  Throw in a moving target, having to get in and out of position quickly to avoid enemy fire, the general nervousness that goes along with most people being in combat and the low quality of manufacture of the ammunition would reduce that considerably.  I've read several firsthand accounts where user pulled the trigger just to have the projectile land a few feet away, recock and reload the launcher only to repeat the same process because the next round was also a dud and several more where the launcher and the propellant charge worked correctly only to have projectile hit the tank and fail to detonate.  Apparently in testing the fuzes had a 25% failure rate.  All in all, I would take a bazooka any day of the week.

Mosinski2 #42 Posted Aug 28 2016 - 00:45

Private

• Players
  • 5551 battles
  • [-LHN-] -LHN-

View Postthandiflight, on Jul 01 2016 - 21:58, said:

Fascinating read. Thank you.

Entirely plausible that bayonets could be used in "Zulu" as the buildings were mud-brick with no reinforcing. Not something that would work well today!

Section leaders and platoon commanders. And the comment about reading is increasingly relevant as the numbers with the skill set diminish.

depends on the building.

a type 1 construct (fire resistant contruction, think concrete skyscrapers and parking garages) no it wont

your average type5 (wood frame covered in OSB, vinyl siding, and drywall) you very much can. You actually learn how to breach a wall in most basic firefighter courses.  

LoseScrew101 #43 Posted Sep 09 2016 - 12:06

Corporal

• Players
  • 8187 battles
  • [WCHG1] WCHG1

View Postnuclearguy931, on Jul 02 2016 - 05:17, said:

I am proud to be Canadian, eh.

Same here :)

Furysghost #44 Posted Sep 19 2016 - 21:48

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 19303 battles
  • [H2O] H2O

My FIL served in Can Scots Rgt. C Scot R as we call them.

He told me that they would be ditched at the 1st opportunity as they were worse than useless in practice, quite unreliable, plus heavy and awkward.

The fighting there (Ortona) has been compared to the battle of Stalingrad in some of its aspects.

Edited by Furysghost, Sep 19 2016 - 21:57.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users