Why WoT gameplay is flawed with new tankers

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic

DasCapitolin #1 Posted Jul 26 2011 - 23:37

Corporal

• Players
  • 14510 battles
WoT is a great game, and welcome departure from mindless first-person shooters. It requires skill, tactics, and teamwork. Unfortunately, too many players expect this game to operate a lot like their FPS-style shoot-em-up games (CoD, BF2, MoH, etc). New players (and some old) rush the enemy lone-wolf hoping that they can single-handedly strike down every tank... only to die quickly and harm the team. Making matter worse, WoT developers seem to endorse this behavior by displaying a score comprised of tank kills.

This is an area I think WoT developers could really take a note from those other FPS games, and base scoring on a point value and not kills. After all, even I've stumbled my to a Top Gun award by making the final hit on six or more tanks. Making the kill sure helps the team, but it doesn't make you a better tanker. If developers want WoT to become a true teamwork-based game, they should remove the incentive to compare players by kills.

I propose the kill scoreboard be replaced with points/experience, which would encourage more teamwork.

ZKaiZ #2 Posted Jul 26 2011 - 23:43

Major

• Players
  • 14199 battles
Exactly, this game isn't about kills.

Hell, even the devs said the best way to get exp is via damage.

Why put a scoreboard that show kills, I'd say put it with EXP/Damage done/Points.

SiberianExpress #3 Posted Jul 27 2011 - 00:05

Wargaming America

• Administrator
  • 7511 battles
  • [WGA-A] WGA-A
I completely agree this is probably whats holding back the NA server from a greater population. Personally I prefer a minimalistic UI with as few elements as possible, but thats not for everyone especially not new players.

Even though it can be considered "cartoony" or "arcade-like" I think it would help a great deal if the game had a few elements from so popular FPSs, for example; have it pop up in huge letter "Ammo Racked!" (or something) when you hit an ammo rack of an enemy tank. It would make new players feel a lot better, or even seeing "Enemy Tracked!" pop up to make it feel like an accomplishment instead of a wasted hit (because you did no damage).

After the battle seeing stats like the number of enemy crew members knocked out, damages deal to tanks higher than your tier etc. would go a long way too, would even make players feel better about battles that were ultimately a loss or a draw.

I would also love to see the medals that you earned in battle pop up with cool graphics at the end of the battle, instead of a small line of text on the third statistics page.

This mod: OverTargetMarker gives you a very cool feature, where it shows the damage you or someone else dealt to an enemy or ally as floating text above the tank. I think this is my favorite mod atm. the guys responsible for it did a great job, and it goes a bit in the direction to fix this problem, unfortunately new players wont know about available mods until they are used to the nuances of the game.

A1x2e3l #4 Posted Jul 27 2011 - 01:29

First lieutenant

• Beta Testers
  • 8674 battles
WoT is a F/TPS arcade and there are no teams in the main game mode – random battles.

“Teamwork-based game” cannot be created by cheap changes in statistic: game concept should be redesigned (at least in the fame of additional game mode) via pre-programmed support of coordinated actions: leader/commander selection/election, time for issuing orders and deployment, implementation of special bonuses for leadership and following orders, etc. This is, actually, a step towards a combat military simulator. This idea (tactical simulator elements) is not shared by WoT players majority (as well as by WoT developers, check their interviews), gamers need simple bang-bang fun, developers - obviously, money.

:Smile_harp:

DasCapitolin #5 Posted Jul 27 2011 - 01:44

Corporal

• Players
  • 14510 battles

View PostA1x2e3l, on Jul 27 2011 - 01:29, said:

WoT is a F/TPS arcade and there are no teams in the main game mode – random battles.

You must not be playing the same game that I do. When I play, I get 14 other teammates on my team. Perhaps you're one of the lone-wolfs I'm referring to?