Info Guides Reviews Tips Help for newer players

• Please log in to reply
301 replies to this topic

mongoosejake #41 Posted Dec 01 2016 - 02:34

Major

• Players
  • 33873 battles
  • [S-F] S-F

How many times do you click battle and within mere minutes of the game starting, you have watched half of your team simply vanish while the enemy team still has all of their tanks? Happen a lot eh?

So many times this happens and while you might think that it's time to cry in chat, whine that the team is terrible, and just hope the battle is over fast there is another choice... Fight for the win! Here's a recent battle of mine where by the time 4 minutes have passed, the score is 0-7 and one flank is stalled (in the valley, a stall is near inevitable there), and the other is failing fast. I try to find the best spot I can where I have some cover on my flank and get mostly hull-down and proceed to try and drag out a win...

mongoosejake #42 Posted Dec 03 2016 - 04:11

Major

• Players
  • 33873 battles
  • [S-F] S-F

With the new lineup of Swedish tanks nearly here, I wanted to get a good Ace Tanker battle up so that people could have a look at what the premium Strv could do. I've already posted my initial thoughts on page 2 of this topic, but here is a bit of gameplay featuring a Ace Tanker, Top Gun, High Caliber with battle while mid tier on Abbey with me dealing over 2800 damage from the key middle position:

mongoosejake #43 Posted Dec 03 2016 - 05:31

Major

• Players
  • 33873 battles
  • [S-F] S-F

Completely different from my other posts of tips, guides, or replays I have this to bring up as a personal interest in the thought of seeing this little tank make it's way to the game as a extra tier 3 premium German light:

What the link is about is the Aufklärungspanzer 38(t), which basically is a modified Pz 38t that we already have in the game at tier 3, but this modification was specifically intended to be a recon vehicle.

Here's what it looks like:

The weaponry was light, as in the 2cm flak gun KwK which is found as a gun choice on a number of German light tanks, including the Pz 38t, the Pz 1c, the Pz II, Pz 35t, Luchs and others and has 39mm of AP penetration and 51mm of APCR pen with a per shell damage of 11 hitpoints. This would indeed be a weakness of the tank, as it would have a number of tier 4 and 5 targets that it simply would not be able to damage.

The recon version of the Pz 38t could make a fun little premium if it was given a few "tweaks" to be a true scout.

-Bump the speed up (historically 42kph, could be bumped to say 60 kph to suit the role)

-Give it great terrain resistance values

-Let it have insane viewrange due to the great field of vision the turret offered (truly insane, like 380m on a tier 3 light)

With these changes it could really be a nice addition to the premium offerings. It would basically perform much like a Pz 1c with better agility and acceleration (if given great terrain resistance values), but a lower top speed (say my suggested 60 kph vs the Pz1c's 79 kph) and be restricted to the slightly under-performing for the tier Flak 2cm KwK.

Some could say that it wouldn't be needed since there already is the Pz T15 at tier 3 as a premium German light tank, but to many people like myself there's no such thing as too many premiums being offered. Having choices is never a bad thing and another $6 or $7 premium would be neat to have as a choice. If you were wanting a zippy premium to train German light tank crews in, you could choose between the Pz T15 and/or the Aufklärungspanzer 38(t) and get going!

What do you think? 

mongoosejake #44 Posted Dec 11 2016 - 23:30

Major

• Players
  • 33873 battles
  • [S-F] S-F

Here's a Ace replay of the tier 7 Japanese heavy, the O-Ni on an unlikely map for it to do well... Malinovka.

Normally Malinovka and a huge slow heavy don't mix well, as it's a great map for mediums, lights, TD's and arty (so basically anything that might counter a big fat slow heavy quite well).

What changed this was multi-faced, in that our allied M44 did a fantastic counter-battery job on the enemy S-51, knocking out the biggest threat to my tank, and my team didn't completely rush out and die, allowing me to bring the force known as the O-Ni to bear against the enemy team as seen here (keep in mind this thing is still mostly stock, using the first 100mm gun, and only the engine upgraded as I unlocked that back on the O-I Exp at tier 5):

mongoosejake #45 Posted Dec 12 2016 - 01:21

Major

• Players
  • 33873 battles
  • [S-F] S-F

Just a couple of nights ago (from my Friday evening session) I rolled out one of my favorite tanks in the game, the DW2. I absolutely love the combination of DPM, hitpoints, fair mobility, and the fact that no one expects you to do anything so they often ignore you in favor of other targets. 

In this replay you'll see me take the DW2 out into the field/upper village area of Ruinberg because I'm mid-tier and intend to play it like a medium of sorts, offering support fire into the city and field area. This is how the DW2 should be played when mid-tier, not as the frontline unit, but as a support tank. Learn to choose the right ammo for the right target (notice I swap back and forth between AP and APCR on the fly often so that I am both dealing damage but not wasting precious premium shells by just spamming), and you can make the most out of the DoomWagon Deuce!

mongoosejake #46 Posted Dec 13 2016 - 17:02

Major

• Players
  • 33873 battles
  • [S-F] S-F

Anyone remember the Grosstraktor?

No? Nobody?

Ok, well at least there aren't many spotted in battle very often. I like to dig mine out once in awhile for some fun lower tier battles where the maps suddenly seem much bigger and the battles tend to be a bit quicker paced. You can still apply the same tactics and positions from higher tier gameplay down there and have great success, while mistakes made don't cost a fortune. 

In this battle I take my Gtraktor to my favorite spotting position on this side of the map and light up targets as they cross the open ground for my teammates to have a field day on. After awhile though, it becomes clear that not only one, but both flanks are failing pretty badly and I'll have to fall back and defend:

Dunfalach #47 Posted Dec 13 2016 - 17:24

Major

• Players
  • 18752 battles
  • [S-F] S-F

View Postmongoosejake, on Dec 13 2016 - 11:02, said:

Anyone remember the Grosstraktor?

I almost never drive it, so I haven't learned what it can and can't do yet, but I do have one. This is true of many premium tanks, because I'm a tank collector. After having used my (under the policy at the time they first implemented it) one and only lifetime recovery to get the Tetrarch back...it came out not long after I first joined the game, and my computer was so bad I couldn't drive it without running into walls, plus I didn't know what a premium tank was yet, so I sold it for credits and the garage slot to buy a B1...after getting it back, I set a strict never sell rule on premium tanks. I'm tempted to break it with the T14 and Excelsior because I have other better premiums of their class and nation, but I haven't broken it yet. Even with the gift tanks.

mongoosejake #48 Posted Dec 14 2016 - 05:27

Major

• Players
  • 33873 battles
  • [S-F] S-F

On the Gtraktor: It plays like a M4 Sherman with the 105 basically.

For a tier 3 it has good viewrange, fair mobility, and a punchy howitzer coupled with good gun depression. As in the Ace replay above, you'll see I take a forward position with it and let my binocs do the work early on. This is very much my typical early game tactic with it, to be a passive spotter. Once that becomes less useful, I go into a support fire role and try to get in as much damage as possible, along with being sure to track targets if they're higher tier (the stubby howitzer is pretty good at tracking even tough tier 5's). I'll focus soft targets like T67's first if possible because that HE is pretty nice against them, and even against the sides of most tier 5 mediums. In my opinion it's a fair tier 3 and being a crew trainer works pretty well as it has lots of crew slots (I run my entire E50 crew plus some from my Pz IVd).

I wouldn't sell the T14 or Excelsior personally. I still run my T14 here and there with pretty good success. I'll look at my team's composition, and if there are plenty of heavier heavies so to speak, I'll take more of a medium role and that works well. The T14 eats up tier 5 mediums quite nicely, and is a threat to many tier 6 mediums as well just based on DPM and hitpoint pool. If forced to be the main heavy of your team against a O-I Exp it'll be tougher, but just be sure to sidescrape or go hull down and never expose your front. Same for dealing with KV's.

The Excelsior is simply fantastic in my opinion. I don't run it often, but it's a great heavium that is purpose built to bully mediums. It's not a true heavy but it does have nice consistent frontal and rear armor. Basically, the playstyle I use and the choices of positioning are the same with both the T14 and Excelsior. They are great hybrid heavy/mediums that can fill both roles fairly well. 

Don't take on O-I's on their terms. Ever. Both tanks have to wait for help and then flank that rolling Japanese fortress and if they can, that's all she wrote for the O-I. Both are low enough to get beside an O-I and give it fits, and are mobile enough to keep out of the line of fire once there. 

-Also, most of the gift tanks are pretty great for just digging out once in awhile for fun. The T7 Combat Car is just amazing when used properly (you can kill 2 or 3 tanks in one clip if you manage your shots well and focus on damaged tanks), the T1E6 is a very old favorite of mine for it's fast clip, the LTP is just a great all around tier 3 with preferred MM, and the Toldi is quite capable even while bottom tier. There's others that each have their own good attributes and I've never sold any either, because if I feel like going back down to tier 2/3 (not often in tier 2 anymore, sometimes tier 3) I'll do it in a premium or gift tank and snag some extra crew training at the same time.

westdccs #49 Posted Dec 14 2016 - 17:48

Major

• -Players-
  • 16441 battles
Ah, the T14 -- the tank that I cannot even HOPE to do well driving, no matter how favorable MM is to me. 

mongoosejake #50 Posted Dec 14 2016 - 23:51

Major

• Players
  • 33873 battles
  • [S-F] S-F

View Postwestdccs, on Dec 14 2016 - 11:48, said:

Ah, the T14 -- the tank that I cannot even HOPE to do well driving, no matter how favorable MM is to me. 

There's no big secret to the T14, it just is meant to be able to fight same tier heavies and nothing more in reality. Tier 6 battles are where you need to be more of a support tank, not the frontline heavy. Go with the mediums if your team has plenty of heavies, or just try to get sneaky side shots on distracted enemy heavies. It really can't engage tier 6 heavies one on one, and that's its weakness. So, whatever you do, don't get trapped into playing how its weakest if possible. 

zhymm #51 Posted Dec 17 2016 - 21:17

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 35217 battles
  • [TTP] TTP

Good ... wait, no .... GREAT thread, Jake.  This should be "stickied".  Thank you for your efforts putting it together. 

OMZ

mongoosejake #52 Posted Dec 18 2016 - 00:40

Major

• Players
  • 33873 battles
  • [S-F] S-F

View Postzhymm, on Dec 17 2016 - 15:17, said:

Good ... wait, no .... GREAT thread, Jake.  This should be "stickied".  Thank you for your efforts putting it together. 

OMZ

Much appreciated! Thanks for taking the time to look through my ramblings and such, lol.

mongoosejake #53 Posted Dec 18 2016 - 22:50

Major

• Players
  • 33873 battles
  • [S-F] S-F

Going up the Swedish lines has definently reinforced the notion that the idea behind the nation's personality is based on mobile vehicles with pretty good weapons and above all else, fantastic gun depression. 

I'll get around to a full break down of the lines up to tier 8 soon (I like doing guides/reviews of tier 8 and below since most YouTubers and guide makers focus on the top tier vehicles, leaving the others a bit under-covered), but for now I'll post some initial thoughts and Ace replays of individual vehicles.

Starting with the tier 3 lkv 72:

This little td to me feels most at home when mid-tier or bottom tier. Yes, you read that right. When top tier, the smaller tanks make for harder targets with the somewhat limited gun traverse, and the hectic pace of low tier battles doesn't allow the lkv 72 to build up enough damage to make the most of it. It thrives on staying back and using it's nice gun to punch holes in big slow moving targets that can't spot it. Let me break it down a bit for you a bit more...

Strengths:

-Nice 75mm gun with 97mm AP pen and 120mm APCR pen, more than good enough for basically anything you face (get side shots on KV-220-2's and AT-2's)

-Extremely stealthy

-Quite mobile, with both a good top speed, and fair acceleration

-Amazing gun depression allows you to hide the hull nearly completely

-A genuinely usable HE shell, that when top tier can be quite devastating (the 38mm pen of the HE shell is plenty and allows you to consistently one-shot other tier 3 TD's) 

Weaknesses:

-No armor (name of the game is to not be spotted first of all, secondly abuse that gun depression to avoid incoming fire if you do get spotted)

-Slightly limited gun traverse (not a big deal when shooting at things such as Churchill's or KV-1's, but makes it a bit hard to track tiny tanks moving fast like Stuarts or Pz1c's)

Take all of that into account and you have what should be considered one of the top one or two tank destroyers in it's tier, and maybe one of the best tier 3's in the game considering the fact that it is extremely capable of making big contributions in tier 5 games when played wisely. That's something that must be considered, as normal tier 3's get many bottom tier games quite often (that is once the rush to try the new Swedes tapers off a bit). 

My recommendation is that this thing is a keeper if you're looking for a fun tier 3 to have around to play here and there, or for when platoonmates are working on new lines. This thing can be a bit addicting, as I quickly racked up 75 games in it without even realizing it and managed a 66% win rate, 2.95 kill/death ratio, 4.04 damage ratio. 

My rating of this thing would be a 10/10 once things go back to normal and it gets into more tier 5 games that suit it better, right now with the higher portion of tier 3 games, it'd get a 8/10.

Ace Tanker game:

mongoosejake #54 Posted Dec 20 2016 - 07:03

Major

• Players
  • 33873 battles
  • [S-F] S-F

So, what happens when your light tank finds itself not being the bottom tier tank? You play more aggressively!

In this battle you'll see my tier 5 Vk16.02 Leopard as a mid-tier tank on Airfield and I do my best to make the most of it. I go to my favorite medium/light tank spot on this side of the map early and get a few spots and some quick & easy free damage in.

I then survey the situation of the battle and decide to make a move that while risky pays off big time by breaking up what was becoming a stalemate in the heavy brawling area in the middle. I was watching the KV-2, and when he had his turret turned far enough that I knew he couldn't turn it to hit me in time, I pounced on him. Getting rid of the scariest tank suddenly makes my team get bold and now they all push, and the rest is downhill from there:

mongoosejake #55 Posted Dec 21 2016 - 01:39

Major

• Players
  • 33873 battles
  • [S-F] S-F

Another example of a team over-loading one flank and leaving only a few to guard/hold the other side of the map is this Ace Tanker battle in my Vk30.02M on Tundra. My team funnels into the west (can be common with many teams, and it's a lower chance of winning once that happens) and I'm left alone at the hill with a couple of TD's assisting. Keep that in mind, there are 3 vehicles on one side of the map, and 12 on the other... In the end the other side is the one that fails, not our side that was out-numbered :facepalm:

This is more of an example of me not taking unnecessary risks, but rather spotting safely while the TD's behind me reduce the hitpoints of my opponents low enough that I can confidently face them and take the hill.

Bottom line: never give up just because your team doesn't go the right way, doesn't react, doesn't respond, or whatever might be the issue. Just play the game to the best of your own ability and keep trying to win!

mongoosejake #56 Posted Dec 23 2016 - 02:11

Major

• Players
  • 33873 battles
  • [S-F] S-F

So, many players have already received and played the newest gift tank, the Swedish L-60 tier 2 light tank. However, I'm sure that there are others that haven't taken the little tank for a spin just yet and might be curious as to what it is and just what can be expected of it. This is just a quick glance at what is in store for you when you finally get around to trying out the freebie New Year's tank.

First off, I want to say that the L-60 is quite capable and competitive. Anyone that's putting the little tank down hasn't bothered to even try playing it properly.

So, what are the Strengths of the L-60?

-It's quick & agile

-It is a small target

-It's auto-cannon can deal a good amount of damage in a short amount of time

-The clip reload is quick and manageable 

-It has good gun depression

-It has access to a decent premium shell option

-Viewrange is fairly decent for the tier

-The armor while not thick is angled well and bounces shots it shouldn't

So, that's a lot of strengths for a tank that people whined about being terrible in chat in a battle I played yesterday... What's bad about it?

-Even with a decent premium shell, there will be tanks that you just can't penetrate reliably. The Pz 38h, Pz II J, and AMX 38 are all immune to you. Yes yes, both the Pz 38h and Pz II J are tanks that only dirty rotten seal-clubbers play very often, but just know that you're not going to damage them. You need to spot for your teammates with better guns if facing them,

-The armor might get more bounces than it should, but it is still quite thin. Angles only do so much, and from the side you're toast, or if anyone gets to focus on you for any extended amount of time. 

So, what's the best way to make the most of this tank? How should it be played?

There's nothing truly special in how the L-60 needs to play to perform best. It's a quick flanking tank that can abuse it's nice gun depression. Get to key spots first and dump a clip into someone first and then duck into cover for your short reload. Race to the hill on Mines with your other quick allied tanks, and then use the gun depression to harass enemies below you, firing down onto their engine decks and roofs. Poke your tiny turret over rubble on the terrible Mittengard toilet bowl of a map and avoid as much return fire as possible, or race up the hill on Himmelsdorf and spot the enemy as they get up to the top and again quickly dump a clip into the first enemy before getting into cover for your reload.

See a pattern? It's a simple but fun playstyle of quick moves and racking up damage one clip at a time while avoiding the return fire by utilizing the L-60's gun depression and agility. 

Here's my Ace Tanker gameplay on Mines in the L-60 (I actually enjoy it enough that I have to avoid playing it too much):

mongoosejake #57 Posted Dec 24 2016 - 05:55

Major

• Players
  • 33873 battles
  • [S-F] S-F

Arty drowning itself at the end of a battle has always drove me nuts. Why would you willingly throw your vehicle away with no hope of any benefit? Why not see if you can at least get one more shot, or even more?

This battle my wife played in her FV207 on Mines shows just why a good arty player will never take the plunge:

mongoosejake #58 Posted Dec 29 2016 - 01:10

Major

• Players
  • 33873 battles
  • [S-F] S-F

The tier 5 German Turan III premium medium is another one of the premiums that many people forget about. It's been for sale only limited times (twice I think), and given away a couple of times.

It has nice gun depression for a German medium (okay, Hungarian really), a decent turret, a well mannered weapon, and fair enough mobility to get around. You'll see me make the most of the gun and gun depression mainly in this Ace Tanker replay where myself and a Swedish Sav M/43 pull off a nice come-back win on Steppes:

mongoosejake #59 Posted Dec 31 2016 - 19:41

Major

• Players
  • 33873 battles
  • [S-F] S-F

Just put my most in-depth gameplay video up with commentary (a first for my World of Tanks/Fallout channel) featuring a compilation of 5 Ace tanker games in the Vk30.02M. The video goes over the gameplay as it happens, but I also include plenty of commentary on the tank and why I play it the way I do. Hopefully the video might be useful to others, or at least give you an idea of what the tank can do.

mongoosejake #60 Posted Jan 02 2017 - 17:39

Major

• Players
  • 33873 battles
  • [S-F] S-F

Here's a bit of gameplay featuring the T28 Prototype, and for the second time I've added my thoughts and commentary to the video. The commentary may become a regular thing but most likely not a every single video deal unless people prefer it.

This video showcases a bit of both the strengths and weaknesses of the T28 Proto, and is a fair way to see what it can do:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users