• 1 battle
  • [D-0-S] D-0-S
i want more free things gibe me gibe me

SonicPhoenix #102 Posted Jul 25 2016 - 17:46

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11118 battles

View PostBlueMini, on Jul 25 2016 - 00:32, said:

You should probably take an economics class then reread your post....

I have taken economics courses and understand what an opportunity cost is. The difference is that I understand that while opportunity costs exists, they don't necessarily mean a loss of revenue or profit. It's why things like loss leaders work and make sense for some businesses. I even noted in the last paragraph of my response that it's entirely possible that there are more people who will spend money as a result of this change than there are like me, who will spend less.

When you get right down to it, the entire free to play genre demonstrates my point since providing access to the game for free is an opportunity cost on which the business depends to generate revenue through other means.

SonicPhoenix #103 Posted Jul 25 2016 - 18:14

Sergeant

• Players
  • 11118 battles

View PosttheTimko, on Jul 24 2016 - 20:15, said:

Giving out gold DOES cost them money.  Think about it this way, if they never gave any of it away, not one piece of gold, ever, then the only way for you to get those premium tanks is by purchasing gold with real money.

This argument is based on the assumption that one was going to acquire the premium tanks regardless of gold payout or tournament structure. That assumption is simply not true in all cases. By your argument, all opportunity costs lead to loss of revenue or profit. The very fact that this is a free to play business model depends on the fact that this is not the case since providing access to the game in any format without charging represents an opportunity cost versus charging for access.

Think about it this way, if they never gave any of it away, not one piece of gold, ever, then I would never have spent any money on the game as opposed to about $75 per year for the last two years.

Now as I said, it entirely possible that there are more people who fall into the category of spending more money due to this change than there are like me, who will spend less. But the assumption that an opportunity cost means a guaranteed loss in revenue or profit as you're implying simply isn't true.

This may very well be a good financial decision for the company. But it's far from guaranteed.

Swraved #104 Posted Jul 25 2016 - 18:25

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 26600 battles
  • [5D] 5D

View PostHanzo_San, on Jul 02 2016 - 05:35, said:

Members of my team will not be participating in this event, in protest. Echoing what the other tournament teams in our community have already said, we want the regular Weekday Warfare and Skirmishes back!

#BringBackGoodTourniesWG

Damn Straight guys, if WG wants to screw us over for events threw ESports.. And Esports doesn't think there's anything wrong with that, then boycott them! They aren't our only option!! Check out https://www.faceit.com/en which is a new and expanding Tournament platform that has options to pay a lot more than just gold( and substantially more gold possible per finish)

Personal link:

https://www.faceit.com/en?referral=bd8db01a-5c3c-4b3f-ab85-dcfb160eb572

Edited by Swraved, Jul 25 2016 - 20:24.

BlueMini #105 Posted Jul 26 2016 - 22:19

Major

• Players
  • 19684 battles
  • [AYAYA] AYAYA

View PostSwraved, on Jul 25 2016 - 12:25, said:

Damn Straight guys, if WG wants to screw us over for events threw ESports.. And Esports doesn't think there's anything wrong with that, then boycott them! They aren't our only option!! Check out https://www.faceit.com/en which is a new and expanding Tournament platform that has options to pay a lot more than just gold( and substantially more gold possible per finish)

Personal link:

https://www.faceit.com/en?referral=bd8db01a-5c3c-4b3f-ab85-dcfb160eb572

Faceit is 7v7 WGLNA format... its basically esports tournies.... Plus, faceit is one of the reason they are cutting gold from regular tournies. There will be more ways to make your ends meet then just weekly skirmishes. 

T_Hawks #106 Posted Jul 30 2016 - 03:29

Sergeant

• Players
  • 23612 battles

Was looking for some clarification on some tournament aspects when i ran into this forum thread.

The salt is real about FREE gold and FREE organized /  competitive play

(FREE GOLD)

Boycott tournaments if that is  what you want, just means the teams I make have to win less fights. Thanks?

Reply to this topic

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

Also tagged with Summer Play, Tournament, 5v5

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users