Jump to content


Summer Play Tournament! sponsored by NVIDIA

Summer Play Tournament 5v5

105 replies to this topic

dance210 #81 Posted Jul 23 2016 - 03:25

    Community Specialist

  • -Players-
  • 24320 battles
  • 4,451
  • [D4NCE] D4NCE
  • Member since:
    05-31-2012

View PostViolentViolet, on Jul 22 2016 - 18:27, said:

1. What about tourney camouflages?

 

2. Tourney emblems or something like that? I think we like shiny things. 

 

Even if we have to participate in so many of a certain type of tourneys to get it. 

 

3. Also maybe maybe a some sort of small group win prize daily for gold. even if the overall gold pots are smaller for it. The top teams will really still get the gold anyways. And when there is a daily group prize that is incentive to show up. Maybe WG can only give the group daily prizes to players who participate in battles-If the gold is tight. I am not sure how the system works but maybe if you get 1st place in your group you get 50 gold for every win that you participated in.  Maybe 25 gold for 2nd place. This way the reservist do not drain the bank. 

 

4. Maybe comping the ammo used in tourneys would help. We still fit tanks with equipment and purchase tanks for these.. so at least firing premium ammo would be one less cost. Not sure the game format would allow for this either. 

 

I really feel the boosters and or equipment are just padding to soften the lesser gold payouts. I am not sure anyone would try to do a tourney if those are the prizes they expect to win. 

 

PS. I think the video cards are an unexpected and kinda cool prize. Kinda like when tanks gave out the tee shirts. 

 

Good luck Blitz!

 

1 and 2 are something that I've wanted to do for a while - it requires dev support though, which makes getting it into a game a long and sometimes difficult process :(

 

 

4. In order to still give out a good amount of gold in the playoffs, gold in the group stage would need to be incredibly small - like 50 or 100 gold max for the top team(s), whether in each group or by percent. I'll run some numbers and see what it looks like though.

 

The reason for only allowing 2 reserves is due to the gold budget - more players per team = less gold per rank. Unfortunately, our tools don't tell us who participated in which battle - the only way to do that would be to collect screenshots from every team for every battle. Since I'm the only one doing casual tournaments right now, that's not really feasible.

 

The other option would be to give prizes in terms of per team instead of per player. First place for Summer Play is 10,000 gold per player. That could written as 70,000 gold per team, split between all members. So a team of 7 would get 10,000 gold each; a team of five would receive 14,000 gold each; a team of 8 would receive 8,750 gold each.

 



Haarmless #82 Posted Jul 23 2016 - 03:48

    Corporal

  • WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 32880 battles
  • 53
  • [BULBA] BULBA
  • Member since:
    11-01-2010
what kind of gucci NVIDIA cards are you guys giving out?

BlueMini #83 Posted Jul 23 2016 - 04:16

    Major

  • Players
  • 19684 battles
  • 3,738
  • [AYAYA] AYAYA
  • Member since:
    04-17-2011
My body is ready for a quad Titan X setup

The_Emperors_Hand #84 Posted Jul 23 2016 - 05:46

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 40889 battles
  • 147
  • Member since:
    01-17-2013

View Postdance210, on Jul 22 2016 - 23:20, said:

 

 

Hiya guys,

 

Thanks for the feedback. I know that gold is king; unfortunately, with the budget that we now need to follow, I'm limited on how much and what I can give out. That makes credits and Premium time not really doable. As a question for everyone, would consumables be better than personal reserves (if I could manage them). Are certain reserve(s) more enticing than others?

 

As for the format....I'm trying to re-work it slightly for the August tournament. One of the big things is getting more teams into the Playoffs. No, it won't be Skirmish level playoffs or prizing, but hopefully this way more teams will a) feel like there is a reason to play multiple group stage days, b) play for longer and c) earn more worthwhile prizes. I'm still working through how to stretch what I have so more teams get something kinda worthwhile, so those details aren't ready yet.

 

 

Now, onto other news. Thanks to NVIDIA we have some video cards for the TBA prize! There are restrictions on the prize (e.g. where the prize can be shipped to) and those rules will be posted soon. Good luck guys!

 

So, when you stated in the first ever post on the tourney changes that this was going to be just July, and that this change wasn't being implemented because of gold, it was a lie?  Because now there is a budget for the gold that can be given  out for tournaments.

 

You realize that Gold and free items in the game costs your company exactly nothing... right?  Giving out free gold, costs you nothing but time spent sending that gold to players accounts.  Gold in this game is the same as Crack on the streets.  You give some for free... players get it, use it, really like it and then go buy more.  

 

You ask for feedback, there has been zero positive feedback about the removal of skirmishes and daily stand-to's..... you hype a tournament that has the worst payouts in the history of the game, the WoT community goes nuts, tells you how bad of a decision it is, and now all of a sudden there is another month of this crap?  As for the format....I'm trying to re-work it slightly for the August tournament  
 

Guess WG NA hasn't been meeting their budget for some time for such drastic changes to take place, of course pulling out our competitive tournaments for this garbage isn't going to help it.  



BlueMini #85 Posted Jul 23 2016 - 07:48

    Major

  • Players
  • 19684 battles
  • 3,738
  • [AYAYA] AYAYA
  • Member since:
    04-17-2011

View PostThe_Emperors_Hand, on Jul 22 2016 - 23:46, said:

 

So, when you stated in the first ever post on the tourney changes that this was going to be just July, and that this change wasn't being implemented because of gold, it was a lie?  Because now there is a budget for the gold that can be given  out for tournaments.

 

You realize that Gold and free items in the game costs your company exactly nothing... right?  Giving out free gold, costs you nothing but time spent sending that gold to players accounts.  Gold in this game is the same as Crack on the streets.  You give some for free... players get it, use it, really like it and then go buy more.  

 

You ask for feedback, there has been zero positive feedback about the removal of skirmishes and daily stand-to's..... you hype a tournament that has the worst payouts in the history of the game, the WoT community goes nuts, tells you how bad of a decision it is, and now all of a sudden there is another month of this crap?  As for the format....I'm trying to re-work it slightly for the August tournament  
 

Guess WG NA hasn't been meeting their budget for some time for such drastic changes to take place, of course pulling out our competitive tournaments for this garbage isn't going to help it.  

It actually costs them potential gold purchases (because now instead of buying some, they already have some free gold). Honestly, i do believe the amount of gold being given out before from tournies was absurdly high (especially when you compare it to clan wars). Alot of people may not be happy about the change, but you cant really blame them. 



Canoodian #86 Posted Jul 23 2016 - 13:19

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 42933 battles
  • 3,083
  • Member since:
    09-07-2010

View PostBlueMini, on Jul 22 2016 - 22:16, said:

My body is ready for a quad Titan X setup

 

You cant actually do that anymore. SLI is limited to 2 way for gaming now.

Canoodian #87 Posted Jul 23 2016 - 13:30

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 42933 battles
  • 3,083
  • Member since:
    09-07-2010

View PostBlueMini, on Jul 23 2016 - 01:48, said:

It actually costs them potential gold purchases (because now instead of buying some, they already have some free gold). Honestly, i do believe the amount of gold being given out before from tournies was absurdly high (especially when you compare it to clan wars). Alot of people may not be happy about the change, but you cant really blame them. 

 

This is possibly true. My tourney group before we pretty much stopped playing due to these changes basically never bought gold. I mean most of them wouldnt have any ways but im sure a purchase here or there was avoided due to tourney gold. That being said, my purchases (premium vehicles) have now been completely eliminated since I dont play anymore and while im sure the other situation is more prevalent, I just wanted to point that out.

Edited by Canoodian, Jul 23 2016 - 13:30.


Bavor #88 Posted Jul 23 2016 - 16:44

    Major

  • Players
  • 34476 battles
  • 3,243
  • [REL-A] REL-A
  • Member since:
    04-21-2013

View PostBlueMini, on Jul 23 2016 - 01:48, said:

It actually costs them potential gold purchases (because now instead of buying some, they already have some free gold). Honestly, i do believe the amount of gold being given out before from tournies was absurdly high (especially when you compare it to clan wars). Alot of people may not be happy about the change, but you cant really blame them. 

 

Its not like the gold won in tournaments and clan wars is worth as much as it use to be.  In the past year, Wargaming NA has put 30+ tanks up for sale in the premium shop only and has not offered those tanks in game.  So, you are rather limited to what you can spend gold on and that in itself devalues the in game gold and purchases of gold.

NeZiak #89 Posted Jul 23 2016 - 17:22

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 16475 battles
  • 177
  • [TL-DR] TL-DR
  • Member since:
    03-17-2013

WG has every right to change the format anytime they wish. With that being said, I have to say this. WG is a company, a company that thrives on the countless amounts of gold and in game purchases made daily by many players on every sever. Although WG gives away gold for participating in these tournaments, there is much more going on here that the players don't see. Trust me, I am not defending WG. I am simply saying that WG is a business that preys on its customer. I don't like the fact that there are only personal reserves given for group stages. Players who spend time to form teams and teams that spend time playing should receive gold for there efforts. In order to get into the playoffs you have to literally win 95% of the battles in group stages. In closing, I would like to say I am seriously dissatisfied with WG right now. Gold cost WG nothing. Gold compensation should be given to the dedicated players that really enjoy WG product. 

   



STEREODOG #90 Posted Jul 23 2016 - 21:28

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 43971 battles
  • 36
  • Member since:
    09-10-2011

On Friday after 20 battles with only 3 losses we were already eliminated from the top 16 and from any prize worth mentioning.    At that point winning to get better crap personal reserves was not worth the effort.

Thanks WG for the useless tourney that only 16 teams out of 306 get anything worth while.

If you can't "afford" to give out free gold for each day then give out credits instead.    1 million credits for first place in your group stage 500k for second and so on.

 



RenamedUser_1020918447 #91 Posted Jul 23 2016 - 22:57

    Corporal

  • -Players-
  • 1 battle
  • 19
  • [D-0-S] D-0-S
  • Member since:
    06-24-2016

View PostCanoodian, on Jul 23 2016 - 13:30, said:

 

This is possibly true. My tourney group before we pretty much stopped playing due to these changes basically never bought gold. I mean most of them wouldnt have any ways but im sure a purchase here or there was avoided due to tourney gold. That being said, my purchases (premium vehicles) have now been completely eliminated since I dont play anymore and while im sure the other situation is more prevalent, I just wanted to point that out.

 

boooooooohoooooooooo

 

so sad



Trombose #92 Posted Jul 24 2016 - 01:25

    Major

  • Beta Testers
  • 40679 battles
  • 4,787
  • Member since:
    08-11-2010

View PostCanoodian, on Jul 23 2016 - 07:30, said:

 

This is possibly true. My tourney group before we pretty much stopped playing due to these changes basically never bought gold. I mean most of them wouldnt have any ways but im sure a purchase here or there was avoided due to tourney gold. That being said, my purchases (premium vehicles) have now been completely eliminated since I dont play anymore and while im sure the other situation is more prevalent, I just wanted to point that out.

 

Yes but people like us arnt the norm, we I played with you guys we did every single tournament (even after switching to a new team I still did all of the big ones and the last few months my team has been killing it), and finished high in them all, maybe 4 other tournament teams can say the same thing. It's a very small group of guys that got enough gold that they never had to buy any, for the vast majority they got a taste and that leads them to want more and thus more purchases of gold, it's the same theory WG uses for CW gold, give out gold for CW and sure there will be a minority that gets "enough" but the vast majority will just get a taste.

 

Tourney gold has been alot less valuable for the last year or so now since all of the tanks are only purchasable on the website, it is still useful for free exping new tanks and premium time but that leads to people playing more, keeping the server population up and to possible future purchases on the website from them.



theTimko #93 Posted Jul 24 2016 - 13:39

    Corporal

  • -Players-
  • 25867 battles
  • 10
  • [SIMP] SIMP
  • Member since:
    03-14-2014

Giving out gold does indeed cost WG money. It's called opportunity cost -- every piece of gold they give out is potential lost revenue. That's why there is a budget. Saying that digital property doesn't cost anything is ludicrous and stupid -- with that rationale, all music, movies, software, etc should be free. And that would just lead to absolutely nothing being available. 

 

I applaud WG for trying something new, but it should be clear that this format is not working. Giving out reserves for group stage is just not enticing enough, and obviously led to abandoned teams by the third day. We had quite a few tech victories, and if my team wasn't in the running for the playoffs I would have done the same. 

 

Dance, I think it's great that you are open to these suggestions and are responding to requests and valid ideas. Please keep it up. However, I hope you see that this new approach to tourneys needs some refinement before its accepted by the player base. 



SonicPhoenix #94 Posted Jul 24 2016 - 14:39

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 11118 battles
  • 151
  • Member since:
    05-18-2013

View PosttheTimko, on Jul 24 2016 - 13:39, said:

Giving out gold does indeed cost WG money. It's called opportunity cost -- every piece of gold they give out is potential lost revenue.

 

That's a pretty ignorant way to think about it and I'll give you a counter example. My team and I have earned a lot of gold from tourneys. Not a ridiculous amount but a lot. I've never paid for premium time as a result (though I played for a number of years without) and have acquired about a dozen premium tanks. But I have also spent real world money on gold and tanks. When a tier 8 premium sale was on and I was a thousand gold short, I spent money. When the Berlin Quartet became available I spent money as I did on a Jagdtiger 8.8, the AMX 13 57, the M41 90mm, and several others.

 

With the recent changes to the tournament structure, I have no desire to play at all. I think I've logged in about three times in July. When I started playing the game I spent $0 until I started playing skirmishes at which point it went to about $70- $100 a year. So no gold given out was $0 income and free "opportunity cost gold" was $70- $100 per year income from me. Now we're back to $0 again as the current tournament structure doesn't appeal enough for me to continue playing and the other game modes haven't appealed to me for a while.

 

Now it's entirely possible that there are more people who will start buying gold as a result of the changes than there are people like me. But it's ignorant to say that simply giving out some gold costs WG money.



Ni_YeYe #95 Posted Jul 24 2016 - 18:51

    Sergeant

  • Players
  • 43443 battles
  • 160
  • Member since:
    03-17-2012
:popcorn:

mdellyd #96 Posted Jul 24 2016 - 21:29

    Major

  • Players
  • 40702 battles
  • 2,014
  • Member since:
    12-23-2013

 

A team with an 89% winrate did not make the playoffs and got NO GOLD.  They had 1 loss each day out of 9 games. 

 

That is just RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

WG has made it clear.  If you want gold you have to get it in clan wars. 


Edited by R__E__C__O__N, Jul 24 2016 - 22:49.


mdellyd #97 Posted Jul 24 2016 - 21:31

    Major

  • Players
  • 40702 battles
  • 2,014
  • Member since:
    12-23-2013

View PostSTEREODOG, on Jul 23 2016 - 21:28, said:

On Friday after 20 battles with only 3 losses we were already eliminated from the top 16 and from any prize worth mentioning.    At that point winning to get better crap personal reserves was not worth the effort.

Thanks WG for the useless tourney that only 16 teams out of 306 get anything worth while.

If you can't "afford" to give out free gold for each day then give out credits instead.    1 million credits for first place in your group stage 500k for second and so on.

 

 

yea, with this format once you get 3-4 losses just go AFK.  Theres no reason to keep playing for CRAP personal reserves.

Edited by R__E__C__O__N, Jul 24 2016 - 21:32.


theTimko #98 Posted Jul 25 2016 - 02:15

    Corporal

  • -Players-
  • 25867 battles
  • 10
  • [SIMP] SIMP
  • Member since:
    03-14-2014

View PostSonicPhoenix, on Jul 24 2016 - 14:39, said:

 

That's a pretty ignorant way to think about it and I'll give you a counter example. My team and I have earned a lot of gold from tourneys. Not a ridiculous amount but a lot. I've never paid for premium time as a result (though I played for a number of years without) and have acquired about a dozen premium tanks. But I have also spent real world money on gold and tanks. When a tier 8 premium sale was on and I was a thousand gold short, I spent money. When the Berlin Quartet became available I spent money as I did on a Jagdtiger 8.8, the AMX 13 57, the M41 90mm, and several others.

 

With the recent changes to the tournament structure, I have no desire to play at all. I think I've logged in about three times in July. When I started playing the game I spent $0 until I started playing skirmishes at which point it went to about $70- $100 a year. So no gold given out was $0 income and free "opportunity cost gold" was $70- $100 per year income from me. Now we're back to $0 again as the current tournament structure doesn't appeal enough for me to continue playing and the other game modes haven't appealed to me for a while.

 

Now it's entirely possible that there are more people who will start buying gold as a result of the changes than there are people like me. But it's ignorant to say that simply giving out some gold costs WG money.

 

Giving out gold DOES cost them money.  Think about it this way, if they never gave any of it away, not one piece of gold, ever, then the only way for you to get those premium tanks is by purchasing gold with real money.  So when you win gold in tourneys or through Clan Wars, they are losing potential revenue from all the players that would have bought that gold.  This is different from you ACTUALLY buying gold, which it sounds like you would do much less if it wasn't augmented by winning tourneys.  That's totally cool.  This is why it's called "opportunity cost" -- they are losing the Opportunity for you to buy gold with real dollars.

 

Keep in mind that their overall strategy is not geared towards you or any player who can win enough tourneys to keep gold in their locker by pure skill.  It's a general, global approach for all players, and most people who play WoT are not good enough to win tourneys or be in a clan that can win any serious amount of gold.  So those folks buy gold, which puts money into WG so they can keep this game going.

 

All that said, I still think this approach to tourney's is not good enough.  Even with the reduced gold payouts, there needs to be some other incentives to get people to play.  Personal reserves are not enough.



STEREODOG #99 Posted Jul 25 2016 - 02:55

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 43971 battles
  • 36
  • Member since:
    09-10-2011
lots of credits instead of gold then!!!

BlueMini #100 Posted Jul 25 2016 - 06:32

    Major

  • Players
  • 19684 battles
  • 3,738
  • [AYAYA] AYAYA
  • Member since:
    04-17-2011

View PostSonicPhoenix, on Jul 24 2016 - 08:39, said:

 

That's a pretty ignorant way to think about it and I'll give you a counter example. My team and I have earned a lot of gold from tourneys. Not a ridiculous amount but a lot. I've never paid for premium time as a result (though I played for a number of years without) and have acquired about a dozen premium tanks. But I have also spent real world money on gold and tanks. When a tier 8 premium sale was on and I was a thousand gold short, I spent money. When the Berlin Quartet became available I spent money as I did on a Jagdtiger 8.8, the AMX 13 57, the M41 90mm, and several others.

 

With the recent changes to the tournament structure, I have no desire to play at all. I think I've logged in about three times in July. When I started playing the game I spent $0 until I started playing skirmishes at which point it went to about $70- $100 a year. So no gold given out was $0 income and free "opportunity cost gold" was $70- $100 per year income from me. Now we're back to $0 again as the current tournament structure doesn't appeal enough for me to continue playing and the other game modes haven't appealed to me for a while.

 

Now it's entirely possible that there are more people who will start buying gold as a result of the changes than there are people like me. But it's ignorant to say that simply giving out some gold costs WG money.

You should probably take an economics class then reread your post....





Reply to this topic



  
For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.



Also tagged with Summer Play, Tournament, 5v5

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users