[0.9.19.1] Classic's WoT Workshop | Updated for 9.19.1 + New Czech Pack & Bovington Skins...

japan color swap skin pack czechoslovakia bundeswehr hungary skins germany britain

• Please log in to reply
254 replies to this topic

FastestClassic #1 Posted Jul 08 2016 - 18:50

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 23492 battles
  • [BOWTI] BOWTI

NOTE: All of my released content is now on my website. For previews/downloads, check the site!

http://classicswotworkshop.weebly.com/

Please check the website above for updates (as fixing this post is gonna take a while). Old OP shown in the spoiler below.

Spoiler

Edited by FastestClassic, Jul 13 2017 - 20:29.

SkimpyLawnChair #2 Posted Jul 08 2016 - 18:55

Major

• Players
  • 21117 battles
  • [-KEK-] -KEK-
fixing the colour of ugly tanks is like melting cheese over a baked potato. It might taste better, but it's still a potato.

TheItalianStallion_ #3 Posted Jul 08 2016 - 18:57

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 2378 battles

View PostSkimpyLawnChair, on Jul 08 2016 - 18:55, said:

fixing the colour of ugly tanks is like melting cheese over a baked potato. It might taste better, but it's still a potato

This is a life motto​

FastestClassic #4 Posted Jul 08 2016 - 19:00

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 23492 battles
  • [BOWTI] BOWTI

View PostSkimpyLawnChair, on Jul 08 2016 - 10:55, said:

fixing the colour of ugly tanks is like melting cheese over a baked potato. It might taste better, but it's still a potato.

But... potatoes can be great! ...right? 

In somewhat more seriousness, I personally don't think the Japanese tanks are actually that ugly. (Then again, I tend to gravitate to [self-edited] tanks, whether by appearance or playstyle... or both :sceptic:  )

gpc_4 #5 Posted Jul 08 2016 - 19:07

Major

• -Players-
  • 30937 battles
  • [DHO4] DHO4
They look great, +1.

FastestClassic #6 Posted Jul 08 2016 - 19:07

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 23492 battles
  • [BOWTI] BOWTI

View Postgpc_4, on Jul 08 2016 - 11:07, said:

They look great, +1.

Thanks! :) 

killswitch95 #7 Posted Jul 08 2016 - 19:36

Major

• Players
  • 32881 battles
  • [NICO] NICO

where they that color, or green in real life,

hard for me to tell because my Type 4 Chi-to I've only seen in black and white...

FastestClassic #8 Posted Jul 08 2016 - 19:41

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 23492 battles
  • [BOWTI] BOWTI

View Postkillswitch95, on Jul 08 2016 - 11:36, said:

where they that color, or green in real life,

hard for me to tell because my Type 4 Chi-to I've only seen in black and white...

In real life, they were in a pretty wide assortment of colors. Most of the ones I could find had camo painted on them already, but here's a photo of a a gray/forest-green Chi-Nu. 

As you can see, this isn't quite the color we have in-game, but it's close. 

At the same time, however, there were vehicles also painted in a more sandy color, including these:

So, I guess you could say this is somewhat historical. Overall, however, I didn't really intend for it to be a 100% historical mod; I just preferred the old color over the current green & thought the sandy color made a bit more sense (coastal defense/etc). 

Edited by FastestClassic, Jul 08 2016 - 19:43.

wookie_monster #9 Posted Jul 09 2016 - 09:01

Sergeant

• Players
  • 18728 battles

View PostSkimpyLawnChair, on Jul 08 2016 - 18:55, said:

WhoTF doesn't like cheese on a baked potato?

Avalon304 #10 Posted Jul 09 2016 - 10:01

Major

• Players
  • 15484 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT
Cant wait for the rest of the tanks to be finished.

FastestClassic #11 Posted Jul 09 2016 - 16:54

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 23492 battles
  • [BOWTI] BOWTI

View PostAvalon304, on Jul 09 2016 - 02:01, said:

Cant wait for the rest of the tanks to be finished.

Neither can I, tbh... Still eagerly awaiting the patch when the Chi-Ri and STA-1 are made HD. Now that'll be awesome. (Oh, and the Type 61 & STB-1 will too, but I don't have those yet :teethhappy:  )

EDIT: Whups, I don't think I actually mentioned that I didn't change the non-HD tanks' color in the OP (or say why). Updated it now. :P

Edited by FastestClassic, Jul 09 2016 - 16:55.

Avalon304 #12 Posted Jul 10 2016 - 02:16

Major

• Players
  • 15484 battles
  • [CMFRT] CMFRT

View PostFastestClassic, on Jul 09 2016 - 07:54, said:

Neither can I, tbh... Still eagerly awaiting the patch when the Chi-Ri and STA-1 are made HD. Now that'll be awesome. (Oh, and the Type 61 & STB-1 will too, but I don't have those yet :teethhappy:  )

EDIT: Whups, I don't think I actually mentioned that I didn't change the non-HD tanks' color in the OP (or say why). Updated it now. :P

I figured it was because they werent HD yet... which triggers my OCD a bit... but I'll survive until the STA and STB are HD. (I really cant wait to see the STB in HD.... that curved turret is gonna be sexy...)

bezrq #13 Posted Jul 11 2016 - 06:26

Private

• -Players-
  • 3936 battles

Can you tell me how you did this? I would like to make my own versions of this for different nations and tanks.

Good job either way, looks great!

FastestClassic #14 Posted Jul 11 2016 - 07:08

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 23492 battles
  • [BOWTI] BOWTI

View Postbezrq, on Jul 10 2016 - 22:26, said:

Can you tell me how you did this? I would like to make my own versions of this for different nations and tanks.

Good job either way, looks great!

Sure thing! 

DISCLAIMER(s): The way I do these color swaps is a little more complex than some other methods I've seen, and requires Photoshop CS6 or higher. Unlike the usual method of applying a color overlay to a black-and-white version of the vehicle's skin files, which ends up removing the dust/dirt and screwing up the color of the tools on the tank, this method preserves most of these details. NOTE: For German tanks, this method doesn't work to well, since gray isn't really a "color", but I assume there are other ways (I'm working on finding one right now; I prefer the look of the dunkelgelb paint on the later tanks i.e. VK 45.03).

1. Find the skin you want to change the color of - these are located in in res/packages; use something like 7zip to open the vehicle .pkg files. I usually prefer the HD ones since they have much higher detail, and just copy those to the non-HD names, but it's up to you. The files themselves are usually the vehicle names with "_AM" or "_AM_hd" on the end.

3. Extract them to your res_mods folder in the correct location (res_mods/<version>/vehicles/<nation>/<vehiclename (as specified in the game files, i.e. G27_VK3001P for the VK 30.01 P)&gt;).

2. Open them with photoshop. You'll need to install Nvidia's DDS texture plugin for Photoshop to do this, located here: https://developer.nv...dobe-photoshop 

3. Go to Image > Adjustments > Replace Color...

4. Select the vehicle's original color which you'd like to replace. NOTE: Depending on the vehicle, you may need to adjust the "fuzziness" value to preserve more details. A higher fuzziness value means more variations of the color you selected get replaced, while a lower fuzziness value preserves more of the original colors in the image. I tend to use lower fuzziness values as such, but this depends on the tank in question.

5. In the bottom left of the window, change the second color to the color of your choice. You can also adjust the existing color selected using the hue/saturation/brightness sliders until you get something you like.

6. Save with DTX5 texture compression with the option "Generate MIP maps" enabled.

7. Open up your game and see how the color swap turned out. IMPORTANT NOTE: The color in photoshop will usually look slightly different than the in-game color due to how the textures are rendered. Make adjustments if needed.

As I said, I prefer this method to the usual one suggested by most, since it keeps the original details of the vehicle while changing the base color quite nicely, even though it isn't as easy to use + it requires photoshop CS6 or higher, which isn't as attainable as gimp or paint.net. There may be a way to do this in paint.net or gimp, but this way has worked the best for me so far.

Enjoy! ;) Hopefully this is useful for other skinners as well.

EDIT: Whups, forgot I actually figured out how to do this for the German tanks as well. Instead of doing a color replacement, go to Select > Color Range, and do the same as if you were doing it using the replacement method. Then, create a new layer and use the selection as a layer mask. Change the blending mode to "Overlay" for this layer and fill it with whatever color you want to replace the default gray with.

Got some pretty decent results with this:

If anything, I might actually release an action set for anyone who already uses photoshop and wants to do this without having to constantly repeat each step for every single component (hull, chassis, gun, turret, etc), possibly with some example colors (German dunkelgelb + Bundeswehr green [seen on the PT A above; not 100% accurate, but I like it regardless], British olive green, etc).

Also, thank you! :P

Edited by FastestClassic, Jul 11 2016 - 07:17.

bezrq #15 Posted Jul 11 2016 - 07:16

Private

• -Players-
  • 3936 battles

View PostFastestClassic, on Jul 11 2016 - 07:08, said:

Sure thing! 

DISCLAIMER(s): The way I do these color swaps is a little more complex than some other methods I've seen, and requires Photoshop CS6 or higher. Unlike the usual method of applying a color overlay to a black-and-white version of the vehicle's skin files, which ends up removing the dust/dirt and screwing up the color of the tools on the tank, this method preserves most of these details. NOTE: For German tanks, this method doesn't work to well, since gray isn't really a "color", but I assume there are other ways (I'm working on finding one right now; I prefer the look of the dunkelgelb paint on the later tanks i.e. VK 45.03).

1. Find the skin you want to change the color of - these are located in in res/packages; use something like 7zip to open the vehicle .pkg files. I usually prefer the HD ones since they have much higher detail, and just copy those to the non-HD names, but it's up to you. The files themselves are usually the vehicle names with "_AM" or "_AM_hd" on the end.

3. Extract them to your res_mods folder in the correct location (res_mods/<version>/vehicles/<nation>/<vehiclename (as specified in the game files, i.e. G27_VK3001P for the VK 30.01 P)&gt;).

2. Open them with photoshop. You'll need to install Nvidia's DDS texture plugin for Photoshop to do this, located here: https://developer.nv...dobe-photoshop 

3. Go to Image > Adjustments > Replace Color...

4. Select the vehicle's original color which you'd like to replace. NOTE: Depending on the vehicle, you may need to adjust the "fuzziness" value to preserve more details. A higher fuzziness value means more variations of the color you selected get replaced, while a lower fuzziness value preserves more of the original colors in the image. I tend to use lower fuzziness values as such, but this depends on the tank in question.

5. In the bottom left of the window, change the second color to the color of your choice. You can also adjust the existing color selected using the hue/saturation/brightness sliders until you get something you like.

6. Save with DTX5 texture compression with the option "Generate MIP maps" enabled.

7. Open up your game and see how the color swap turned out. IMPORTANT NOTE: The color in photoshop will usually look slightly different than the in-game color due to how the textures are rendered. Make adjustments if needed.

As I said, I prefer this method to the usual one suggested by most, since it keeps the original details of the vehicle while changing the base color quite nicely, even though it isn't as easy to use + it requires photoshop CS6 or higher, which isn't as attainable as gimp or paint.net. There may be a way to do this in paint.net or gimp, but this way has worked the best for me so far.

Enjoy! ;) Hopefully this is useful for other skinners as well.

EDIT: Whups, forgot I actually figured out how to do this for the German tanks as well. Instead of doing a color replacement, go to Select > Color Range, and do the same as if you were doing it using the replacement method. Then, create a new layer and use the selection as a layer mask. Change the blending mode to "Overlay" for this layer and fill it with whatever color you want to replace the default gray with.

Got some pretty decent results with this:

Thanks for the fast reply, but you didn't specifiy where to find the tanks? I cannot seem to find them ( sorry im a but dumb at times :p)

As I said, I am dumb. Found where you said it was.

That link for the DDS doesn't seem to work

Edited by bezrq, Jul 11 2016 - 07:18.

FastestClassic #16 Posted Jul 11 2016 - 07:20

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 23492 battles
  • [BOWTI] BOWTI

View Postbezrq, on Jul 10 2016 - 23:16, said:

Thanks for the fast reply, but you didn't specify where to find the tanks? I cannot seem to find them ( sorry im a but dumb at times :p)

As I said, I am dumb. Found where you said it was

Ah, no worries. Bit of a heads up, just in case you can't find some of them in the specified locations: a few vehicles have their skin files located in "shared_content.pkg", "shared_content_hd.pkg", "shared_content_sandbox.pkg", or "shared_content_sandbox_hd.pkg", including the Tiger II and Pz. III. Gladly, most of the vehicles have their textures located in the vehicle .pkg files, so you should usually check there first.

Edited by FastestClassic, Jul 11 2016 - 07:30.

bezrq #17 Posted Jul 11 2016 - 08:11

Private

• -Players-
  • 3936 battles

View PostFastestClassic, on Jul 11 2016 - 07:20, said:

Ah, no worries. Bit of a heads up, just in case you can't find some of them in the specified locations: a few vehicles have their skin files located in "shared_content.pkg", "shared_content_hd.pkg", "shared_content_sandbox.pkg", or "shared_content_sandbox_hd.pkg", including the Tiger II and Pz. III. Gladly, most of the vehicles have their textures located in the vehicle .pkg files, so you should usually check there first.

How are you managing to make them a different color without losing quality? I try it and they loose a lot of quality even with low fuzziness 

FastestClassic #18 Posted Jul 11 2016 - 20:20

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 23492 battles
  • [BOWTI] BOWTI

View Postbezrq, on Jul 11 2016 - 00:11, said:

How are you managing to make them a different color without losing quality? I try it and they loose a lot of quality even with low fuzziness 

Usually, it's mostly about picking the right base color to swap. As is realistic with dirt/dust, the in-game textures have some variation in the base color, so you have to play around a bit and try to find the color that seems to fit the best. Little hard to explain (and execute), and it can vary between nations - French blue is much easier to swap than something like the British tan color, since the tan color is so similar to the dirt/dust color, etc. 

Which tank(s) are you trying this with? If you'd like, I can try swapping the colors of the tank(s) you want. For that, all I need is the vehicle name(s) and the hex color code of the color you want to use.

bezrq #19 Posted Jul 11 2016 - 20:42

Private

• -Players-
  • 3936 battles

View PostFastestClassic, on Jul 11 2016 - 20:20, said:

Usually, it's mostly about picking the right base color to swap. As is realistic with dirt/dust, the in-game textures have some variation in the base color, so you have to play around a bit and try to find the color that seems to fit the best. Little hard to explain (and execute), and it can vary between nations - French blue is much easier to swap than something like the British tan color, since the tan color is so similar to the dirt/dust color, etc. 

Which tank(s) are you trying this with? If you'd like, I can try swapping the colors of the tank(s) you want. For that, all I need is the vehicle name(s) and the hex color code of the color you want to use.

Sorry for the late reply. I was trying it on the AMX 12 t, just to see what the "french blue" would look like with the german grey 

I want to change most/all of the french ones to the realistic color, which is like a slightly olive drab grey

Edited by bezrq, Jul 11 2016 - 20:45.

FastestClassic #20 Posted Jul 11 2016 - 21:03

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 23492 battles
  • [BOWTI] BOWTI

View Postbezrq, on Jul 11 2016 - 12:42, said:

Sorry for the late reply. I was trying it on the AMX 12 t, just to see what the "french blue" would look like with the german grey 

I want to change most/all of the french ones to the realistic color, which is like a slightly olive drab grey

Ah, okay (also, no worries; I'm used to people replying as far as weeks/months late, so 20 minutes isn't late in my book :P ;). I was actually trying to do something like this myself, based off some paint colors listed on hobby sites (for scale models), and ended up with this:

Don't really know if this is correct, so if you have a better color, I can try that out as well.

Also tagged with japan, color, swap, skin pack, czechoslovakia, bundeswehr, hungary, skins, germany, britain

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users