M4 Fl10

M4 Skin Reguest Sherman American French Fl10 Fl-10 10 AMX

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

jessail #1 Posted Jul 17 2016 - 03:28

Private

• Players
  • 5484 battles
I would love for someone to design me a skin of an FL-10 Sherman either for the E-8 or for the tier 5 sherman. All it needs is an oscillating amx turret and a re-color.

LOUD_METAL #2 Posted Jul 17 2016 - 03:35

Captain

• Players
  • 9822 battles
Knowing how WG loves to jump at any chance they can get to make money, they'll probably add this tank as a premium soon enough.

Dirizon #3 Posted Jul 17 2016 - 05:42

Major

• Players
  • 27967 battles

View PostLOUD_METAL, on Jul 17 2016 - 03:35, said:

Knowing how WG loves to jump at any chance they can get to make money, they'll probably add this tank as a premium soon enough.

lt is a Tank in Ground Wars Tanks.  Most dangerous Tier 5 tank there is in the game.....

probably be extremely dangerous here too,  even in tier 6 instead of 5.

SkaerKrow #4 Posted Jul 24 2016 - 23:43

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 17407 battles
Well, the M4 FL-10 is based upon the M4A4 Sherman V, the closest tank to which we have in the game is the Sherman III. I mocked the turret and hull together in game, but the turret sits too high by default, so there's a gap. I could try to muck around with the XML file to correct this, but truth be told I haven't much experience with that in WoT. Still, if someone feels like making a skin for it, I'll see what I can do. It won't be perfect (since it would be mounted on the Sherman III, not Sherman V), but it should get the job done.

Milkym4n #5 Posted Jul 25 2016 - 01:13

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 1774 battles
  • [ZAKO] ZAKO

Here's how to lower the turret.

Open/Decrypt the Hull.visual_processed file with wottools.exe. Either save it and edit it with another text editor or do in in wottools itself

Go to the HP_turretJoint node and lower the 2nd value within row3.

What you're doing here is editing the hardpoint where the turret gets placed on the hull model

SkaerKrow #6 Posted Jul 26 2016 - 09:25

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 17407 battles

Thanks Milky. 

Unfortunately, there seems to be something in the XML script for the Sherman III that doesn't want the turret to sit lower. I was able to change its height on the M4A2E4 hull by the method that you described, but on the Sherman III hull, it won't budge. I'm trying to muck around in the Hull.visual_processed file with various values now, but I'm having trouble figuring out what's different about the Sherman III. 

EDIT: Nevermind, I figured it out. The Hull.model was still pointed at the information for the original Sherman III path, not the path that I had copied the model into. Once I shifted that around, it took immediately. Now I just need to figure out how to hack things around enough so that I can get the M4A3E8 to take the chassis from the Sherman III without locking the game up. In the interim, this benighted crossbreed is now haunting my garage...

Posted Image

EVEN MORE EDIT: I knocked together an incredibly janky skin (basically just bleached everything) just to see how the thing looked without being frankenstein. I'll see if I can get something better together tomorrow. Right now I have this pasted over my M4A2E4, pending figuring out how to get the chassis model from the Sherman III to play nicely with the Easy 8. 

Posted Image

Edited by SkaerKrow, Jul 26 2016 - 11:12.

Milkym4n #7 Posted Jul 26 2016 - 13:49

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 1774 battles
  • [ZAKO] ZAKO

If you want to replace a chassis model with independent suspension you need to replace following elements within <chassis>:

<traces>

<tracks>

<wheels>

<drivingWheels>

<groundNodes>

<splineDesc>

<trackNodes>

<AODecals>

Within each element are various values so you need to copy everything inside <traces> ##### </traces>

Some of those elements might not be present on the chassis you want to have replaced so you just add them after <AODecals>. This is the case with SD chassis models.

SkaerKrow #8 Posted Jul 26 2016 - 14:14

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 17407 battles

Thanks again Milky, I really appreciate your input on this process. You've saved me from wading through a lot of outdated tutorials. 

I hate to bother you further, but I do have one last question that you might be able to help with. The AMX-13 turret isn't as big as the M4 turret, and so there's an extra area on top of the hull that was originally covered but is now exposed. I lightened this area in the AM and the GMM images, but for some reason the shadows fall very heavily on this area, to the point where they're almost pitch black. I've tried a lot of modification of the AM, ANM, and GMM files, but the shadows are still incredibly dark. I've tried Googling WoT Shadow Maps and the like, but to no avail. Any suggestions on what I should try? I tried to provide an example below. 

Posted Image

Milkym4n #9 Posted Jul 26 2016 - 19:51

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 1774 battles
  • [ZAKO] ZAKO

Don't touch the Albedo, Normal and Metal/Roughness maps. What you need to edit is the Ambient Occlusion map found in the green layer of Sherman_III_hull_01_AO(_hd).dds

nrnstraswa #10 Posted Jul 26 2016 - 22:56

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 17000 battles
  • [AJ] AJ
Awesome work! Watching this with great interest. 

SkaerKrow #11 Posted Jul 27 2016 - 08:15

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 17407 battles

Well, this has been a busy day. I've got a mostly working version of the tank now, though I still need to go through and wrap up all of the LODs and the crash models. I got together a skin for it, though it's very rough. Considering that it's the first thing that I've skinned...ever? Huh, well in that case, I'm reasonably happy with it. I need to go look up the tutorials on emblems, since I'll need to hide the national emblem on the tank and add the green circle (currently I just have the circle painted directly onto the tank skin). The only real problem that I foresee is the fact that the back of the turret clips into the hull if you aim your gun sharply upwards. As far as I know, that can't be helped. Right now I have the tank placed over the Fury (since it has fewer guns and turrets and was therefore easier to start with), but once I have that finished I'll get together a version for the regular Easy8. Here's a picture of the nearly finish model. 

Posted Image

Thanks to Milky for all of the invaluable assistance. 

Milkym4n #12 Posted Jul 28 2016 - 02:13

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 1774 battles
  • [ZAKO] ZAKO

That looks really nice but a bit too dark yellow.

Ok so if you want to hide the national emblem do this within the turret element.

Just set the 0.2 to something like 0.0001. No texture editing needed whatsoever.

Although WG can assign specific emblems to tanks like on the AMX 13 57 GF or M41 90mm I haven't figured out what needs to be set to allow other emblems to be displayed. Your only option is to hide the national one and paint on the on you currently have I'm afraid.

SkaerKrow #13 Posted Jul 28 2016 - 08:45

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 17407 battles

Had a bit of a set-back, as the new patch doesn't seem to like my remodel very much. I get inconsistent disconnects when trying to load into matches, and upon getting ammo racked just now, the game completely shut down. I'll keep plugging away with it, but it's annoying that everything worked in the last version of the game, but not this one. 

EDIT: Nevermind the second part, I goofed and left the .xml extension on my LOD0 Crash files. Just got killed again and everything was gravy. 

Since there's no way to add a custom emblem to the tank, is there a way to bring the symbol painted onto the skin "above" any camo applied to the tank? So that you can camo the thing without having the cammo pattern go over the symbol?

Further EDIT: Nope, fixing those files didn't change the fact that when the tank gets ammo racked, it immediately hard crashes. I can confirm that it's an issue with my remodel, as I was able to reload the game after removing the remodel, only to find my turret laying next to my tank. Not sure what's causing this. 

Edited by SkaerKrow, Jul 28 2016 - 11:59.

Milkym4n #14 Posted Jul 28 2016 - 11:32

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 1774 battles
  • [ZAKO] ZAKO

Unfortunately not but you can edit the camo mask inside the _AO texture file.

First get your albedo map and create the emblem you want

Next up open the AO map and extract the alpha layer (copy paste it into a new document for temporary editing since Photoshop doesn't support layers within channels)

Copy the emblem layer into your temporary alpha document and paint it black

Now combine the layers so you only have one (camo map and emblem in one) and paste it into the alpha channel of the AO map.

SkaerKrow #15 Posted Jul 28 2016 - 14:26

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 17407 battles
Well unfortunately, because it's going to be a real nightmare for me to test to see whether or not any fix that I attempt actually cures the ammo rack crash, I may just have to leave the vanilla M4A3E8 crash model in the mod. That seems kind of half-hearted, but I'm not sure what would be causing this crash issue. 

Milkym4n #16 Posted Jul 28 2016 - 14:46

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 1774 battles
  • [ZAKO] ZAKO
You do you have replay where the ammorack crash happened?

SkaerKrow #17 Posted Jul 29 2016 - 10:41

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 17407 battles
Good call, I do have the replays of the ammo racking. Without the skin applied, they simply end (like a normal replay) when I get to the point where the game crashed. I'll have to see if they actually crash out with the skin in play. I'm thinking of starting over and coding everything from the 9.15.1 files, to see if that helps. Kind of bummed that the patch hit the day after the thing was nearing completion, only to have everything get broken :confused:.

Milkym4n #18 Posted Jul 29 2016 - 15:33

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 1774 battles
  • [ZAKO] ZAKO
Entirely rewriting the XML file might help. I had to do the same for my E 50 remodel as it was crashing to desktop with the old XML that I had just copied over. The crash in my case was related to something within the guns element.

SkaerKrow #19 Posted Jul 30 2016 - 08:13

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 17407 battles

EDIT: It looks like it's working now, which is a bit of a surprise given how annoying that this glitch has been. I went ahead and redid the XML using the 9.15.1 files. 

Milky, do you base your texture re-works on the HD version of the game's skins? My PC is a bit of a dud, so I've never bothered with the HD client, though if I'm working on the skin for this thing, I'm guessing that it would be worth downloading. 

FURTHER EDIT: Unfortunately, I'm not using Photoshop, but it's bastard cousin Paint Shop Pro, and I'm having a bear of a time getting the alpha mask to take properly. I can bring the emblem section of the skin above the implementation of camouflage, but it's also completely screwing up the shadowing on the tank in the process. 

Edited by SkaerKrow, Jul 30 2016 - 11:10.

Milkym4n #20 Posted Jul 30 2016 - 13:32

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 1774 battles
  • [ZAKO] ZAKO

It's always the XML that causes crashes, at least from my experience.

Always use HD textures as a base and then export the finished work for SD and HD clients. Even though the HD textures are only visible in the garage or close up range I believe it's important to pack them together when releasing a skin.

Seems like if you're doing the copying you're also editing the red and green channel. That's why it messes with the shading. Have you tried another image editing application like Gimp? Alternatively you can always get the trial version of Photoshop.

Also tagged with M4, Skin, Reguest, Sherman, American, French, Fl10, Fl-10, 10, AMX

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users