AMD RX480 Driver Crash

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

tafletch #41 Posted Feb 14 2017 - 16:53

Corporal

• Players
  • 15191 battles

Posted this in "the other RX 480" thread...  Adding it here maybe it will help someone.

My RX 480 is also doing the same thing.  This has been happening for the last 3 driver revisions.  I am on the January version currently.

In the driver there is a setting to lower the PCIe power draw but that did not change anything that I noticed.  (My first try)

The only change I have been able to make that made some difference is setting the GPU settings in the game to sync mode.  I remember old video cards having a issue with overheating playing this game when they ran wide open.  Between that and setting all the AA to the highest settings I get only about 1 CTD per night of about 2 hours of playing.  Before I made these changes it was almost unplayable crashing over and over.  (My second try and so far best option)

I also notice if it helps, this issue only happens to me when in 3rd person mode and I am panning the view.  The screen goes blurry and then black.  Then I am back at the desktop.  About 1 in 5 times I have a little splash screen in the lower right of my desktop telling me there was an issue and the radion driver is resetting the settings back to default.  (I run with the default settings)  Another thing interesting is after I log back in to the game and it puts me back in my battle, when I exit the battle (mode) back to my garage there is a super long wait with a black screen before the garage shows up.  I would say this takes easily 10x longer than normal but subsequent battles will be back to normal.

I play other game titles and they do not have this issue.

GermanTigerI #42 Posted Feb 14 2017 - 19:00

Private

• -Players-
  • 0 battles

Hi, I had this problem on Arctic region (german "Polargebiet"). My graphic card is a RX480. Now i installed an old Driver 16.11.5. i read this on this website:

https://community.am...m/thread/210109

Uninstall all AMD software and clean your system in safe mode by DDU program and install 16.11.5 driver.

I hope it will help you

best regards

uffzMax

sabretas #43 Posted Feb 15 2017 - 12:29

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 20604 battles
  • [W0RLD] W0RLD

View Posttafletch, on Feb 15 2017 - 01:53, said:

Posted this in "the other RX 480" thread...  Adding it here maybe it will help someone.

My RX 480 is also doing the same thing.  This has been happening for the last 3 driver revisions.  I am on the January version currently.

In the driver there is a setting to lower the PCIe power draw but that did not change anything that I noticed.  (My first try)

The only change I have been able to make that made some difference is setting the GPU settings in the game to sync mode.  I remember old video cards having a issue with overheating playing this game when they ran wide open.  Between that and setting all the AA to the highest settings I get only about 1 CTD per night of about 2 hours of playing.  Before I made these changes it was almost unplayable crashing over and over.  (My second try and so far best option)

I also notice if it helps, this issue only happens to me when in 3rd person mode and I am panning the view.  The screen goes blurry and then black.  Then I am back at the desktop.  About 1 in 5 times I have a little splash screen in the lower right of my desktop telling me there was an issue and the radion driver is resetting the settings back to default.  (I run with the default settings)  Another thing interesting is after I log back in to the game and it puts me back in my battle, when I exit the battle (mode) back to my garage there is a super long wait with a black screen before the garage shows up.  I would say this takes easily 10x longer than normal but subsequent battles will be back to normal.

I play other game titles and they do not have this issue.

I wish it was as simple as a over heating video card as that would be easy to fix, gpu-z can log to file the same as msi afterburner and yes i did look at log files to see if any odd temps or core/ram clocks before crash.

Have you noticed what maps make you crash? for me I can get a reliable crash on Sacred Valley even at spawn just by panning the view quick lol.

as for the black screen when going back to garage I guess is it syncing things again like when loging in.

I guess I need to make a 2nd account to test things with out inconveniencing any one.

sabretas #44 Posted Feb 15 2017 - 15:28

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 20604 battles
  • [W0RLD] W0RLD

ok after some quick tests on Sacred Valley I found

Foliage quality set to low = no crash's, medium and high or max = will crash but needs more testing

Shadows quality set to max(not ultra) or some crashes - Found this when testing 17.3.1 drivers as was seeing what I could max out before crashes

my setting with 17.1.2, 17.3.1 drivers - all other setting can be set to max just set Foliage quality set to low + Shadows quality set to max

Edited by sabretas, Mar 08 2017 - 10:30.

tafletch #45 Posted Feb 15 2017 - 16:43

Corporal

• Players
  • 15191 battles

Last night it crashed 2x (same game) on Sacred Valley map.  This was when I was 3rd person view and panning the view.  I was in a KV4 with camo paint pushing a t95 to the brawling area.  I dont really want to lower my quality I was just enjoying having a fast video card from all the years playing low quality on my laptop :( 

Great find though!

sabretas #46 Posted Feb 16 2017 - 02:25

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 20604 battles
  • [W0RLD] W0RLD

View Posttafletch, on Feb 16 2017 - 01:43, said:

Last night it crashed 2x (same game) on Sacred Valley map.  This was when I was 3rd person view and panning the view.  I was in a KV4 with camo paint pushing a t95 to the brawling area.  I dont really want to lower my quality I was just enjoying having a fast video card from all the years playing low quality on my laptop :( 

Great find though!

you do not have to lower quality on any things else other than Foliage quality as I dropped others as a personal preference and it is a easy thing to test just start up a training room on Sacred Valley to see if it solves your crashes if not well you can still use max Foliage quality ;)

I just tested if I max all thing but Foliage quality I still get some crashes lol, look like i got lucky with my personal preference setting lol.

Edited by sabretas, Feb 16 2017 - 03:18.

sabretas #47 Posted Feb 16 2017 - 03:28

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 20604 battles
  • [W0RLD] W0RLD

OK as part of testing this I have been looking at vram usage(gpu-z sensors tab) and noted that with mods it used 200mb more than if I started in safe mode and as such it lasted longer before crashing with max Foliage quality with my other setting from the image above, now obviously if I had all setting on and at max more ram usage and quicker crash

so now I am left looking to see if there is a somthing better to see vram usage than gpu-z to see if it is a vram leak

LpBronco #48 Posted Feb 16 2017 - 04:10

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 36188 battles
  • [_F_] _F_
Support had me do a uninstall, clean, and clean driver reinstall and so far so good No crashes tonight.

Edited by LpBronco, Feb 16 2017 - 04:11.

sabretas #49 Posted Feb 16 2017 - 05:49

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 20604 battles
  • [W0RLD] W0RLD

View PostLpBronco, on Feb 16 2017 - 13:10, said:

Support had me do a uninstall, clean, and clean driver reinstall and so far so good No crashes tonight.

did you try Sacred Valley? latest drivers? graphics setting? did you play any snow maps? yes this is a interrogation lol, crossing my fingers for you that it is solved as crashing game make me sad.

I am happy that I found a way to stop my game crashing so back to cussing at arty lol

LpBronco #50 Posted Feb 16 2017 - 11:58

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 36188 battles
  • [_F_] _F_
I'll let you know my progress. What really surprised me was I wrote to them to let them know that I wasn't having a problem in safe mode and they continued to try and solve my issue. After all the bashing support and Wargaming take from the community and they've really gone the extra mile to try and help me.

Outofservice #51 Posted Feb 19 2017 - 00:09

Private

• Players
  • 9960 battles
  • [AWOO] AWOO

View Postsabretas, on Feb 16 2017 - 01:25, said:

you do not have to lower quality on any things else other than Foliage quality as I dropped others as a personal preference and it is a easy thing to test just start up a training room on Sacred Valley to see if it solves your crashes if not well you can still use max Foliage quality ;)

I just tested if I max all thing but Foliage quality I still get some crashes lol, look like i got lucky with my personal preference setting lol.

I can confirm that turning off, "Foliage quality" has resolved all crashes for me and my RX480. I had the same crashes on Arctic Region and Sacred Valley and now I don't experience it.

Thank you for trouble shooting sabretas!!

LpBronco #52 Posted Feb 19 2017 - 00:40

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 36188 battles
  • [_F_] _F_
DId have a crash on Arctic with the clean driver/game install. They're having me run the game in SD and so far I haven't drawn the offending maps, go figure, but I'm not having any crashes either.

Bull_15 #53 Posted Mar 02 2017 - 19:09

Private

• -Players-
  • 28505 battles
  • [GUNS1] GUNS1
Been reading this post with interest. Run a RX 480 and have the same problems with sacred valley. I did not have this problem until the last patch 17.1.1

LpBronco #54 Posted Mar 02 2017 - 21:56

Captain

• Beta Testers
  • 36188 battles
  • [_F_] _F_

Support is saying that this problem is being reported with some frequency and appears to be the AMD driver. Tried updating to the latest now I'll have to try and roll back or try and install an older driver.

BlimaSuma #55 Posted Mar 02 2017 - 22:57

Private

• -Players-
  • 0 battles

Hello, EU player here.

Rx 480, HD client, started to get crashes just before Christmas, new AMD drivers and WoT Christamas patch. 

From what I can tell, here are maps are crashing my game:

• Arctic region, on german tanks with two-toned cammo, @ B4;
  • Abbey with german and chinese tanks with two-toned cammo, @ B7, B8, F3, F5;
  • Airfield, any tank with cammo @J10 - there is a rock there with fuzzy texture, for me;
  • Sacred Valley, german tanks with two-toned cammo, @ J7, H7, G8, D7.

Going up the slope at these locations from a narrow path to a wide open skybox that also have vegetation, will crash the game.

Rest of the maps are OK for me.

I will try to put Foliage OFF next and see the results.  

FortisLupus #56 Posted Mar 07 2017 - 00:01

Corporal

• Players
  • 6088 battles
  • [AMPED] AMPED

I used to have the crashing issues that you guys are dealing with. I am running an MSI RX480 4GB model, FWIW. I tried changing every setting in the game to no avail. There's a post either here on AMD forums stating to do a full uninstall of the AMD drivers and to roll back to an older version of the drivers. I have been running the 16.11.5 drivers for almost a month now and have not had a single crash. I suggest you guys try some of the older drivers.

I do have another issue that just started, however. Within the past three or so days, I have noticed a solid drop in my frame rate. I have my frames locked in-game at 60 FPS, and for the longest time they have been pegged at 60. Now, I've randomly lost about 10 FPS. I haven't changed a single thing in the game or on my gaming PC. Maybe it was the patch? At the start of the game is when it's the worst. My FPS will drop down into the low 40s. Has anyone else recently noticed a drop in frame rate?

sabretas #57 Posted Mar 08 2017 - 02:57

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 20604 battles
  • [W0RLD] W0RLD

wait, have you people that are still crashing tried the setting I had posted above in post #44 and what driver version are you running? as I am now stable and NO crashes

But will try later with the new 17.3.1 and try the map @ area that BlimaSumasaid.

TRY settings in post #44they work for me

sabretas #58 Posted Mar 08 2017 - 02:59

Corporal

• Beta Testers
  • 20604 battles
  • [W0RLD] W0RLD

View PostFortisLupus, on Mar 07 2017 - 09:01, said:

I used to have the crashing issues that you guys are dealing with. I am running an MSI RX480 4GB model, FWIW. I tried changing every setting in the game to no avail. There's a post either here on AMD forums stating to do a full uninstall of the AMD drivers and to roll back to an older version of the drivers. I have been running the 16.11.5 drivers for almost a month now and have not had a single crash. I suggest you guys try some of the older drivers.

I do have another issue that just started, however. Within the past three or so days, I have noticed a solid drop in my frame rate. I have my frames locked in-game at 60 FPS, and for the longest time they have been pegged at 60. Now, I've randomly lost about 10 FPS. I haven't changed a single thing in the game or on my gaming PC. Maybe it was the patch? At the start of the game is when it's the worst. My FPS will drop down into the low 40s. Has anyone else recently noticed a drop in frame rate?

Nope my fps is still 110-117 even when streaming ;)

KnightOfEris #59 Posted Mar 12 2017 - 03:33

Staff sergeant

• -Players-
  • 5858 battles

View PostFortisLupus, on Mar 07 2017 - 00:01, said:

Yeah, theres an issue with the game client, and it's not specific to AMD or Nvidia - I have the same problem using a GTX1060 or a RX480.

kornita #60 Posted Mar 14 2017 - 08:38

Private

• Beta Testers
  • 0 battles
i'm subscribing this thread because i have the same issue with my amd 470 (black screen and CTD) now i ill try the no foliage setting...

Edited by kornita, Mar 14 2017 - 08:38.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users