Writing My Own?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

PDX_Dragon #1 Posted Jul 30 2016 - 18:21

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 41830 battles

I'm a C++ programmer and I've been curious about mods for a long time. 

OMC is a great package of mods, but I've never found exactly the collection of over tank markers I'd like to have. 

I fondly remember XVM editors that allowed fine tuning of the OTM. 

"What kind of mod do you want?", let's start with an OTM. 

A search for "world of tanks mod interface", and other explicit queries seems to come up empty on the topic of exactly what a person needs to know to write mods. 

With the introduction of a new scripting language, perhaps this is a good time to learn. 

Where is are references and guides for building a mod?

Edited by PDX_Dragon, Jul 30 2016 - 18:38.

nac2011 #2 Posted Jul 30 2016 - 18:51

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 21493 battles

I personally am unsure of where to find such things, but checking out the wiki and general modding sites/forums could be a good place to start.

O7

scyorkie #3 Posted Jul 30 2016 - 18:54

Major

• Players
  • 75117 battles

You can still fine tune your OTM.

Go to \res_mods\configs\xvm\default and edit the following:

- markersAliveExtended.xc

- markersAliveNormal.xc

- markersDeadExtended.xc

- markersDeadNormal.xc

If you have no idea what to do, start by looking at other configs or by looking through the XVM forums. There is a thread on the wotlabs forums as well.

Pointby #4 Posted Jul 30 2016 - 22:26

Sergeant

• Players
  • 20378 battles
  • [CDP] CDP
If I was skilled enough to write my own, I'd copy Anfield's. It shows the players WN8 over their tank.

JdgDReDD #5 Posted Jul 31 2016 - 01:24

Captain

• Players
  • 53842 battles
  • [BETAS] BETAS

View PostPDX_Dragon, on Jul 30 2016 - 10:21, said:

I'm a C++ programmer and I've been curious about mods for a long time. 

OMC is a great package of mods, but I've never found exactly the collection of over tank markers I'd like to have. 

I fondly remember XVM editors that allowed fine tuning of the OTM. 

"What kind of mod do you want?", let's start with an OTM. 

A search for "world of tanks mod interface", and other explicit queries seems to come up empty on the topic of exactly what a person needs to know to write mods. 

With the introduction of a new scripting language, perhaps this is a good time to learn. 

Where is are references and guides for building a mod?

this was working well before the "new system"

Edited by JdgDReDD, Jul 31 2016 - 01:25.

Bavor #6 Posted Jul 31 2016 - 01:50

Major

• Players
  • 39924 battles
  • [REL-A] REL-A

Because of the interface changes with 9.15.1 I've had issues with my custom XVM configs I used with 9.15 and earlier.  I modified Aslain's XVM config to suit my needs.

To test any edits to the XVM config, I've been using replays and I've been changing one thing at a time then loading a replay and seeing if it works.  Many of the XVM features that worked in 9.15 don't seem to work properly in 9.15.1

Bavor #7 Posted Jul 31 2016 - 04:42

Major

• Players
  • 39924 battles
  • [REL-A] REL-A

Also, using XC Pad makes it easy to edit XVM.  It has a lot of options when you right click on areas and can indicate when you have an error in your editing.

http://www.koreanrandom.com/forum/topic/4691-

Bavor #8 Posted Jul 31 2016 - 04:43

Major

• Players
  • 39924 battles
  • [REL-A] REL-A

View PostPointby, on Jul 30 2016 - 16:26, said:

If I was skilled enough to write my own, I'd copy Anfield's. It shows the players WN8 over their tank.

There are many different configs for XVM that do that, not just Anfield's.

Twofingers #9 Posted Aug 01 2016 - 05:11

Sergeant

• Players
  • 10893 battles

I can try to get you searching in the right direction. I do small mods. Mostly graphics to add some clan propaganda throughout the game. I've currently been developing a very small clan pack that would overlay and work with most popular packs. I don't know if many clans would be interested and fear of ridicule has kept me from pursuing it on these forums.

As stated, you can do a lot of cool stuff with XVM including the OTM's.  Some things you need to look into for creating your own custom content include the following:

For basic skinning and changing a bunch of in game images, you need photo editing software that can work with dds images.

Some images and much of the in game interfaces are embedded in flash files. So you will need to decompile the flash, make your edits and convert them back. This is where knowing action script comes in handy if your are really trying to be creative. I do not know much about action script and that's where I hit roadblocks when ripping apart the flash files. Changing embedded images is what I'm decent at.

The rest of the games function use encrypted python files. So you need to decrypt the python in order to see an editable script. Again, python is not something I've bothered to try and learn. I can decrypt it but that's as far as I've went.

If you gather all of the software needed, you need to prep yourself a project directory to extract the games content to. Within the res folder, you'll see many pkg files. Those are zip folders. Extract what you want but make sure to preserve the path structure. Your mod will never work if it's not in the correct folder.

If you find the needed software and you get things extracted, start trying to edit something simple for your first test. If you get something working, grab an install creator to make your mod look professional and roll on. Packs like OMC and Aslains use an installer where you have to script in your install instructions. The end result is cool though. I use a wizard type installer to keep things simple but doesn't allow for selectable options/preview that everyone loves.

Sorry for being so vague with some of this. I really don't want to toss out a solid step by step guide that would have inexperienced users breaking their game every 5 minutes. Do a bit of research on some of what I touched on and you should find things to help you along.

For most of us, modding is too much of a hassle and best left to the pros. They put in a lot of time and effort to make our game play more enjoyable.

Perhaps someone who can actually do custom content and knows the more advanced stuff can help you out a bit more.

fig_79 #10 Posted Mar 04 2021 - 10:28

Private

• Players
  • 0 battles

View PostTom2965, on Jul 21, 2017 - 02:44, said:

Check some stuff on higher education in case you are interested in learning something new like that. We all can hope that assignment help will be the best source for us to look forward to at that stage so it will offer us so much more stuff to see and learn as well.

Edited by fig_79, Mar 04 2021 - 10:29.

Maggz #11 Posted Mar 05 2021 - 07:37

Captain

• Players
  • 48607 battles
  • [-TRN-] -TRN-
i think there is a non xvm stats mod that does this already created by Polarfox, however ive not used it so i do not know if this is exactly what you are looking for. but to try and create your own you will need to know python and flash editing, this game is built entirely out of those scripting languages. to utilize a custom OTM you would have to edit battleVehicleMakers.swf to accept the python changes your making, then you would have to rewrite the python file responsible for the OTM, its been a long while since ive messed with it, so i cant tell you what its name is or where it is in relation to the script folder. its been 4+ yrs since ive bothered with doing any real modding for this game, as things change so often it begins to be a full time job updating from patch to patch

Pain_Sad #12 Posted Oct 07 2021 - 08:18

Private

• -Players-
  • 0 battles

View PostMaggz, on Mar 05 2021 - 07:37, said:

i think there is a non xvm stats mod that does this already created by Polarfox, however ive not used it so i do not know if this is exactly what you are looking for. but to try and create your own you will need to know python and flash editing, this game is built entirely out of those scripting languages. to utilize a custom OTM you would have to edit battleVehicleMakers.swf to accept the python changes your making, then you would have to rewrite the python file responsible for the OTM, Friday Night Funkin its been a long while since ive messed with it, so i cant tell you what its name is or where it is in relation to the script folder. its been 4+ yrs since ive bothered with doing any real modding for this game, as things change so often it begins to be a full time job updating from patch to patch

wow. that right

Panda_HP #13 Posted May 13 2022 - 16:37

Private

• -Players-
  • 0 battles
kbhgames is a website we built about game content. This website is always updated with content about the hottest games like FNF Mods, FnAF and more. The special thing is that we allow you to play all the games all the time and completely for free.

_GeorgePreddy_II #14 Posted May 14 2022 - 02:36

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 496 battles

Ad bot.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users