WGLNA Season I 2016 -2017 - wow what happened?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

shadow_runner #1 Posted Aug 05 2016 - 07:20

Private

• Players
  • 18076 battles

I have been an avid fan of the WGLNA since season 1.  I don't know what all goes on behind the scenes, but from the spectator perspective I don't understand why you (whomever "you" is) seem determined to extract all entertainment value out of watching the matches.  In the early seasons we had short skits between matches that were entertaining and commentary that highlighted tactics and strategies - some of which you could actually apply to improve as a player - scouting, side scraping, etc.  We went from betting in chat to Fantasy League (a big improvement) and from the vanilla twitch client to battleviewer (also an improvement).  Casters have also changed over time, but they have always at least sounded enthusiastic even if not always extremely knowledgeable.  I just watched the first night of the new season and was

1) Very disappointed that fantasy league is no more (ESL has one, but so far, not a fan - the old one was MUCH better)

2) The casters, while professional, failed to capture my attention - Maybe they are just too professional...  Sounded more like I was watching CNN than esports.

3) The camera work wasn't really on...  found myself watching the minimap during the battles more than the main screen... 

Previous WGLNA seasons really primed me for wanting to play WoT with the goal of eventually getting good enough to join a team, but I am not feeling it so far this season...

I'm not giving up yet, but....

Please tell me there are some positive changes to come

cloudwalkr #2 Posted Aug 05 2016 - 07:26

Major

• Players
  • 52206 battles
  • [TYPE5] TYPE5

Rockstar does a great job at casting while the other guy struggles a little, but does try.  The camera work was crap, can confirm.  I don't do fantasy league so i wouldn't know whats changed.

lungustefan #3 Posted Aug 05 2016 - 07:28

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 20 battles

View Postshadow_runner, on Aug 05 2016 - 06:20, said:

I have been an avid fan of the WGLNA since season 1.  I don't know what all goes on behind the scenes, but from the spectator perspective I don't understand why you (whomever "you" is) seem determined to extract all entertainment value out of watching the matches.  In the early seasons we had short skits between matches that were entertaining and commentary that highlighted tactics and strategies - some of which you could actually apply to improve as a player - scouting, side scraping, etc.  We went from betting in chat to Fantasy League (a big improvement) and from the vanilla twitch client to battleviewer (also an improvement).  Casters have also changed over time, but they have always at least sounded enthusiastic even if not always extremely knowledgeable.  I just watched the first night of the new season and was

1) Very disappointed that fantasy league is no more (ESL has one, but so far, not a fan - the old one was MUCH better)

2) The casters, while professional, failed to capture my attention - Maybe they are just too professional...  Sounded more like I was watching CNN than esports.

3) The camera work wasn't really on...  found myself watching the minimap during the battles more than the main screen... 

Previous WGLNA seasons really primed me for wanting to play WoT with the goal of eventually getting good enough to join a team, but I am not feeling it so far this season...

I'm not giving up yet, but....

Please tell me there are some positive changes to come

Things change my friend,learn to get over it :)

Cent72 #4 Posted Aug 05 2016 - 08:05

Major

• Players
  • 23189 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU
Also remember that this was the teams first time out other than for quals. Things will improve as feedback is given.

Cornish_Pirate #5 Posted Aug 05 2016 - 09:31

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 31788 battles
  • [CLAWS] CLAWS

Fantsy changed websites i think but league is almost dead anyway

juhaas #6 Posted Aug 05 2016 - 10:57

Captain

• Players
  • 35920 battles
I finally gave up after watching 3 or 4 battles, the camera work is absolutely atrocious, you can't follow anything, it's all wide shots with a constantly moving camera, never where the action is, never stationary for 1 second. I gave up. Although the commentary is kind of dead and not engaging in the slightest, I'd be willing to give Rockstar a chance; to me anything not-Toma is a giant improvement, but the video it's just unwatchable. Seems there has been a massive shakeup @ WGL, all usual casters from all regions are no more, maybe WG figured they could get people for 1/10 the price and nobody'd notice. Shame. I'll miss the EU cast the most but at least they went with daki and mojo so the game analysis is top notch. NA, after all this time seems there's still no one that could fill clutch's and ru's shoes. I skipped the entire previous season because of toma, and this season is not really off to a good start either. Sad.

Ramixx #7 Posted Aug 05 2016 - 15:04

Corporal

• Players
  • 24205 battles
I agree with the comments, but changes should be improvements. Last night's broadcast was hard to follow and boring. I'll continue to watch in hopes that they can get on track and deliver the excitement of previous seasons.

BarrooM #8 Posted Aug 05 2016 - 15:15

Major

• Players
  • 18618 battles

View Postcloudwalkr, on Aug 05 2016 - 00:26, said:

Rockstar does a great job at casting while the other guy struggles a little, but does try.  The camera work was crap, can confirm.  I don't do fantasy league so i wouldn't know whats changed.

Your idea of great and mine differ a lot. He has the personality of a slug. He comes across a bit smug at times. His technical knowledge is on par with a decent pubby imo. I won't even get into the neckbeard guy. After I heard him say "life points" when referring to a tanks health, I put the stream back on mute.

Things change, I get that. We probably won't ever see the production level that last season brought for a long time, if ever. It was funny, entertaining and I really think the general audience learned lots of tips and tricks. Last season was really successful imo. Why they would go and change it is beyond me (contracts etc etc etc etc)

I enjoy seeing the play of friends I have met over the past 5 years, so I'll continue to watch when I can. I was debating joining fantasy this year but heard it wasn't happening. Then I see a post here today and then a mention in the stream last night. Communication has been less than stellar.

_Marine #9 Posted Aug 05 2016 - 15:56

Major

• Players
  • 27640 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN
Watched 5 minutes of the EU WGL, they seemed very on top of things before I got bored

Cent72 #10 Posted Aug 05 2016 - 16:00

Major

• Players
  • 23189 battles
  • [MAHOU] MAHOU

View Postjuhaas, on Aug 05 2016 - 04:57, said:

I finally gave up after watching 3 or 4 battles, the camera work is absolutely atrocious, you can't follow anything, it's all wide shots with a constantly moving camera, never where the action is, never stationary for 1 second. I gave up. Although the commentary is kind of dead and not engaging in the slightest, I'd be willing to give Rockstar a chance; to me anything not-Toma is a giant improvement, but the video it's just unwatchable. Seems there has been a massive shakeup @ WGL, all usual casters from all regions are no more, maybe WG figured they could get people for 1/10 the price and nobody'd notice. Shame. I'll miss the EU cast the most but at least they went with daki and mojo so the game analysis is top notch. NA, after all this time seems there's still no one that could fill clutch's and ru's shoes. I skipped the entire previous season because of toma, and this season is not really off to a good start either. Sad.

The "shakeup" is that the company handed their Esports over to ESL which is a very prominent esports company that runs a lot of other games. This is a step in the right direction.

juhaas #11 Posted Aug 05 2016 - 16:30

Captain

• Players
  • 35920 battles

View PostCent72, on Aug 05 2016 - 10:00, said:

The "shakeup" is that the company handed their Esports over to ESL which is a very prominent esports company that runs a lot of other games. This is a step in the right direction.

While I did not know that, it really does not feel like "the right direction" so far. Watching WGLNA stream last night was on par with watching the Olympics on NBC, that is one may as well not bother.

_TurboTaco_ #12 Posted Aug 08 2016 - 18:04

Corporal

• Players
  • 14727 battles
  • [DHO6] DHO6
FAIL

DOMlNO #13 Posted Aug 10 2016 - 17:22

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15691 battles

I watched last night, also heard the 'life points' thing, wth?

I thought Rockstar did fine, that wasn't the problem for me. My problem was the camera showing action away from what Rockstar was talking about! It was beyond frustrating to hear Rockstar get excited about something across the map while the camera sat on a batchat trying to boost itself!

I did really enjoy seeing a lot of the guys active on the forums playing though, Pompous, Fulcrous, Smiley.

I watch it in my media room on the projector, so when my son walked in, it looked no different than regular TV to him. It was cool to tell him hey... "I've actually platooned with some of those guys" :)

Edited by DOMlNO, Aug 11 2016 - 14:12.

blakyce #14 Posted Aug 10 2016 - 18:17

Corporal

• -Players-
  • 22415 battles

View PostCent72, on Aug 05 2016 - 16:00, said:

I have only watched WOT e-sports which ESL is screwing up terribly to start for NA. I concur the camera work and beard-guy are especially brutal. I watched Dakillzor do the EU games and he was quite good, maybe he can work both sides of the Atlantic. Hopefully you are right that ESL will improve but it is a dreadful start.

Fulcrous #15 Posted Aug 10 2016 - 18:27

Major

• WGLNA Gold League Player
  • 28850 battles
  • [VILIN] VILIN

View PostDOMlNO, on Aug 10 2016 - 08:22, said:

I did really enjoy seeing a lot of the guys active on the forums playing though, Pompous, Fulcrus, Smiley.

Oh so you get Pompous right with the 'o' but miss mine.

I see how it is. :bush:

DOMlNO #16 Posted Aug 10 2016 - 19:01

Staff sergeant

• Players
  • 15691 battles
lol, sorry...

FightinTexasAggie2001 #17 Posted Aug 17 2016 - 02:28

Corporal

• Players
  • 37130 battles
  • [RDDT3] RDDT3
The move has been nothing but a failure.  Nothing is farther from the excitement that was felt last season...and this isn't even close.  I would say, on a scale of 1 to 100, this probably scores under a 10, 100 being watching hot 25 year old College Cheerleaders announcing with last seasons Fantasywgl.com   This is on the other side of the spectrum!

SocialFlaws #18 Posted Aug 20 2016 - 12:34

Major

• Players
  • 43401 battles
  • [BULBA] BULBA

View PostBarrooM, on Aug 05 2016 - 09:15, said:

Your idea of great and mine differ a lot. He has the personality of a slug. He comes across a bit smug at times. His technical knowledge is on par with a decent pubby imo. I won't even get into the neckbeard guy. After I heard him say "life points" when referring to a tanks health, I put the stream back on mute.

Things change, I get that. We probably won't ever see the production level that last season brought for a long time, if ever. It was funny, entertaining and I really think the general audience learned lots of tips and tricks. Last season was really successful imo. Why they would go and change it is beyond me (contracts etc etc etc etc)

I enjoy seeing the play of friends I have met over the past 5 years, so I'll continue to watch when I can. I was debating joining fantasy this year but heard it wasn't happening. Then I see a post here today and then a mention in the stream last night. Communication has been less than stellar.

o7

Vallanor #19 Posted Oct 28 2016 - 16:45

Sergeant

• -Players-
  • 13804 battles
  • [AWOO] AWOO

whats the code on http://tankrewards.c...scavenger-hunt/ for voting the right team and having that team winning? I missed the live stream

nvm its expired rip :(

Edited by Vallanor, Oct 28 2016 - 16:54.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users