Would you believe the world is more peaceful now than at any time in history?

• Please log in to reply
130 replies to this topic

RanLSX #21 Posted Aug 16 2016 - 05:49

Captain

• -Players-
  • 563 battles

Kids, always  read the fine print:

"Comment on Active: In 1996 the ULIMO – K carried out attacks on civilians both in Liberia and Guinea.
Comment on Yearly Battle Related Deaths: The first phase of the Liberian civil conflict took place in an environment lacking in news reporting and human rights watchdog activity. It is therefore difficult to acquire reliable sources for events of one-sided violence, and to distinguish between civilians killed in one-sided and battle-related violence."

RamaLamaDingDong2 #22 Posted Aug 16 2016 - 06:00

Major

• -Players-
  • 28587 battles

View PostStrike_Witch_Tomoko, on Aug 15 2016 - 21:29, said:

outside of middle east.   yeah more peaceful than ever before.

but at the same time national pride and hatred of other nations is about the same. only need to look at how russia looks at the US.   or US politicians look at china.

so is the end of the world coming?  no.   but are we approaching peace.   no.     we stuck in this "not quite peace, but close" state

also screw the news.  they only report on events that cause outrage cause that leads to more publicity.    they've failed as a news institute.

Middle East and Half of the African Continent which isnt news worthy on US News. It just seems worse because of all the coverage of everything that happens. 800 years ago it took long time transport the stone tablets very far to news stands and it wasn't fresh news by then. It was hell on us guys that were paperboys back then.

Edited by CanOfTomatoes, Aug 16 2016 - 06:02.

Klaatu_Nicto #23 Posted Aug 16 2016 - 06:04

Major

• Players
  • 44044 battles

View Postyoggraid, on Aug 15 2016 - 19:49, said:

Geopolitical chess board and Ukraine has been in the crosshairs for some time before the mess even started. The pushing and shoving will continue until one player ups the stakes and makes bold moves making it all worse for everyone else. Make no mistake Putin wants a bigger slice of the pie and the west is all the same, two lions strategizing over a scrap of meat always ends in a fight.

The West has made a number of bold moves. It started with the West breaking it's promise not to move NATO eastward when it brought Poland into NATO.

In more recent times the Ukrainian president, Viktor Yanukovych, had been presented with two trade deals. One was the Ukraine–European Union Association Agreement and the other was the Customs Union of Russia, Belarus, and Kazakhstan, Russia viewed Ukraine as their economic gateway to Europe so Russia was quite happy when Yanukovych refused to sign up with the EU. The West was very unhappy so regime change had to be made. The regime change in Georgia in 2003 was also Western sponsored.

Edited by Krentel, Aug 16 2016 - 06:15.

Ubiquinate #24 Posted Aug 16 2016 - 06:07

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 13875 battles

When referring to conventional war between states yes we are in a period of relative peace. Nukes, globalization, and increasingly instantaneous mass media have seen to that pretty effectively.

The volume of warfare hasn't changed, however; there are numerous fourth generation "wars" occurring in Africa, Asia, and Latin/South America, largely between armed rebel groups and local governments. These go unreported though as they don't have the same media impact a terrorist attack in the West has. Everything from the cartels to African paramilitaries to ISIS fall under this banner.

Will the peace last? For us in the West that's anyone's guess, but I will wager Europe is going to be the first to see it end. There is a large bubble of anger and rage growing towards European governments, one that depending on the circumstances can see simple government change or full tilt revolution.

RamaLamaDingDong2 #25 Posted Aug 16 2016 - 06:12

Major

• -Players-
  • 28587 battles

View PostKrentel, on Aug 15 2016 - 21:41, said:

In today's news, because of the Western-sponsored regime change in Ukraine and what has transpired since, Russia is building dozens of underground bunkers capable of withstanding atomic blasts.

LOL ok good for the Russians. They certainly will need them if they mess with the USA. Can you even dig that deep in frozen crap?

RamaLamaDingDong2 #26 Posted Aug 16 2016 - 06:14

Major

• -Players-
  • 28587 battles

View PostKrentel, on Aug 15 2016 - 23:04, said:

The West has made a number of bold moves. It started with the West breaking it's promise not to move NATO eastward when it brought Poland into NATO. The Ukrainian president, Viktor Yanukovych, had been presented with two trade deals. One was the Ukraine–European Union Association Agreement and the other was the Customs Union of Russia, Belarus, and Kazakhstan, Russia viewed Ukraine as their economic gateway to Europe so Russia was quite happy when Yanukovych refused to sign up with the EU. The West was very unhappy so regime change had to be made. The regime change in Georgia in 2003 was also Western sponsored.

I see you only subscribe to the "Putin News" channel.

Klaatu_Nicto #27 Posted Aug 16 2016 - 06:20

Major

• Players
  • 44044 battles

View PostCanOfTomatoes, on Aug 15 2016 - 21:14, said:

I see you only subscribe to the "Putin News" channel.

No, I'm reading what former U.S. government officials are saying plus some history.

Edited by Krentel, Aug 16 2016 - 18:49.

bockscar43 #28 Posted Aug 16 2016 - 06:43

Captain

• -Players-
  • 32181 battles
  • [PL1AR] PL1AR
Perhaps with the advent of social media has brought peoples together as never before. This is the world that we have and we better take care of it, cause there is no where else to go.....

BudTugly #29 Posted Aug 16 2016 - 07:30

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 25146 battles
Facts will not weaken fat white American men's resolve to push forward with the butthurt insurrection.  There can be no true freedom when more than one demographic has a say in the country's moral compass.  Please send snacks.

JotaK #30 Posted Aug 16 2016 - 08:02

Sergeant

• Players
  • 18924 battles
technically yes, but we still need to hold a world war for more ~75 years to prove that humanity isn't as bad as it was before and democracy is stable

aethervox #31 Posted Aug 16 2016 - 08:22

Major

• Players
  • 27031 battles
  • [PFLL] PFLL

OP, may I call you MattWrong.

Unfortunately, MattWong, you are wrong.

If you think we are in a peaceful time right now, think again.

We had a peaceful time, relatively speaking, for some decades after WW2.

Now the times, they are getting worse, far worse and the  trends are for huge future disasters.

Don't take my word for any of this MattWong, do your own research - go to a library and read some non-fiction on all sorts of current important subjects.

The jury is out about whether the human race will even survive. At the rate it is altering the planet for the worse, the odds are against us.

Of course, an Ostrich with it's head in the Sand can say the same as you do. When it pulls it's head back out into reality then it can see with its bird brain that you are wrong.

Horribad_At_Tanks #32 Posted Aug 16 2016 - 08:33

Major

• Players
  • 2268 battles

The current times are much like what was going on right before ww2 broke out. Lots of flag waving and copious military buildups but little overt warfare past the normal background noise of the typical endless border skirmishes again much like russia and china are doing with their annexation claims. America was as peaceful as you could get at that time with some noted unrest in the lower classes(great depression sucked but thats economic) much like it is now. The eu is the same bubbling pot of barely held back racial tensions with the headlong rush to stuff as many refugees into it as possible with no realistic plan to house and feed and provide work for them all and dissent is growing daily from every side.

Yeah it's calm now but it's always calm right before the storm blows down your house.

Mudman24 #33 Posted Aug 16 2016 - 11:50

Major

• Players
  • 36582 battles
I bet many of the people in this thread stockpiled can goods before Y2K.

Horribad_At_Tanks #34 Posted Aug 16 2016 - 11:57

Major

• Players
  • 2268 battles

View PostMudman24, on Aug 16 2016 - 05:50, said:

I bet many people in this thread have the normal pantry filled with canned and dry goods for when something bad happens. It's called good sense.

mattwong #35 Posted Aug 16 2016 - 13:57

Major

• Players
  • 30470 battles

From the comments, I can tell that most of the people commenting couldn't bother to read the article.  This is the damage that Twitter has wrought: people who can't be bothered to read a single-page article before posting their comments on its conclusions, and who use low-effort arguments like "open your eyes" as evidence.  At least this guy actually admitted he didn't bother reading it:

View PostCommder_Kozak, on Aug 15 2016 - 23:27, said:

Im not sure what the theory of the whole thing is (cause I didn't read it), but from my knowledge ...

Klaatu_Nicto #36 Posted Aug 16 2016 - 18:45

Major

• Players
  • 44044 battles

View PostMudman24, on Aug 16 2016 - 02:50, said:

And I still have some of that canned food sitting on a shelf. :facepalm:

Klaatu_Nicto #37 Posted Aug 16 2016 - 18:48

Major

• Players
  • 44044 battles

View Postmattwong, on Aug 16 2016 - 04:57, said:

From the comments, I can tell that most of the people commenting couldn't bother to read the article.  This is the damage that Twitter has wrought: people who can't be bothered to read a single-page article before posting their comments on its conclusions, and who use low-effort arguments like "open your eyes" as evidence.  At least this guy actually admitted he didn't bother reading it:

I didn't read it but that's because I read something similar last year which I do not dispute.

But, times are changing.

Klaatu_Nicto #38 Posted Aug 16 2016 - 19:51

Major

• Players
  • 44044 battles

View PostJotaK, on Aug 15 2016 - 23:02, said:

technically yes, but we still need to hold a world war for more ~75 years to prove that humanity isn't as bad as it was before and democracy is stable

America was not created as a democracy. It was created as a republic and this is why.

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There was never a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." - John Adams.

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years." - Alexander Fraser Tytler

Speedy_DePalma #39 Posted Aug 16 2016 - 20:40

First lieutenant

• -Players-
  • 3329 battles

View PostKrentel, on Aug 16 2016 - 12:51, said:

America was not created as a democracy. It was created as a republic and this is why.

"Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There was never a democracy yet that did not commit suicide." - John Adams.

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years." - Alexander Fraser Tytler

Exactly democracy is just a process for 6 wolves and 4 sheep to decide what to have for dinner, most people wouldn't realize it but there were 3, at the time modern systems that the US took inspiration from to set up it's form of Republic and those were the Swiss states, The Netherlands and the Iroquois Leage.

Horribad_At_Tanks #40 Posted Aug 16 2016 - 21:12

Major

• Players
  • 2268 battles

View Postmattwong, on Aug 16 2016 - 07:57, said:

I read it and it's nothing new and you can find articles with similar views all through history as men try to wrap their heads around why we fight our seemingly endless wars and is there finally hope for it to stop.

Well sorry but even the writer of that article knows that's a pipe dream and that as soon as peace has lasted long enough for the last survivors of the last major war to die off and the horrors and misery are nothing more than dry facts and figures in books and stories we do it all over again. 

Block Quote

An important caveat here — the data does not suggest that war is over, nor does it suggest the end of low level conflicts within states.

This is from within the article you linked and he acknowledges that all we are in is a very very brief time in the world when conflict is at an ebb tide but the tides of war are just as predictable as the ocean tides and from the signs it's going to come rolling back in just like it has like clockwork since man first figured out he could get another's food by bashing his fellow man ape over the head with a club.

You see the difference is that some men strive for peace but are aware that war will always come around and prepare for it as others strive for that same peace but refuse to acknowledge man's gift and curse of war so they don't prepare. You can find the ruins of those civilizations who thought only of peace all over the world.

View PostKrentel, on Aug 16 2016 - 12:45, said:

And I still have some of that canned food sitting on a shelf. :facepalm:

Gotta rotate that stuff out. Canned food is technically good for decades as long as it's kept sealed and cool but it still can turn bitter or slimy even if it can still be eaten. :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users