Membership

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Hans_von_Twitchy #1 Posted Aug 18 2016 - 05:37

Captain

• -Players-
  • 45712 battles
  • [SOYUZ] SOYUZ

I've twice purchased annual Premium Memberships for this game, and was happy to do so because I played most days. My last purchase expired two weeks ago, and I won't be buying another one because of the way WG expires memberships.

Early January this year, I had a medical problem -- fortunately a quality-of-life one, not quantity-of-life -- and one of the treatments for it is daily taking a pill that comes with a label warning of: "If affected do not drive a vehicle or operate machinery." In the past, I've always ignored those warnings because I've never been affected by anything -- but this pill was VERY different! I was so prone to dizziness that I had to be careful just turning around to talk with someone behind me, and I was completely incapable of driving a car. I tried playing a game of Tanks, choosing to use a slow-moving HT for the test. When the spawning countdown ended, I turned 90 degrees and drove in a straight line. Before I'd gone 50 meters, I'd suffered three mind-wrenching waves of disorientation, and I was in danger of throwing up on my keyboard.

The dizziness side-effect has been reducing very slowly as my body has adapted to the drug. and I'm now capable of playing Tanks for a while on most days, although fast-moving, furball brawls make me very confused. I'm enjoying getting back into the game after so many months off (apart from very occasional, unpleasant, "Can I play Tanks yet?" tests). Unfortunately, it's without a Premium Membership. Eight months of my last annual membership were wasted because I could not play, and WG's policy is to have them continue to countdown to expiration even on days that you do not play -- even if you spend weeks or months not playing.

Unless WG change their Premium Membership expiration policy to something less greedy and unfair, I will not be buying another one.

If you're thinking about buying Premium Membership, give some thought to the chance of involuntarily being unable to play for a while.

SuperJaws100 #2 Posted Aug 18 2016 - 05:50

Captain

• Players
  • 20089 battles

There should be an "on-hiatus" option allowing you to disable your premium account for an extended period of time.

I hope you stay in good enough health to enjoy the game, OP. Happy tanking o7

Barabus #3 Posted Aug 18 2016 - 05:50

Corporal

• Players
  • 28015 battles
i would like to see a "hours of play" buy for prem account. just pay for the time you play, it would more expensive i understand but you only pay for the time you play. fair and frugal so no way would they do this lol  

Kamahl1234 #4 Posted Aug 18 2016 - 05:51

Major

• Players
  • 18396 battles

You're asking WG to make their premium also be a system which practically no other company does. One which will rob them of a lot of profits that they currently have.

What do you suggest us players pay for in lieu of those losses?

xrays_ #5 Posted Aug 18 2016 - 05:57

Major

• Players
  • 55391 battles
  • [OTTER] OTTER

It's unfortunate that you have suffered physically/mentally due to your illness, but that doesn't mean that a pay-service should alter their tried-and-true system because of it. Sure, this is a game, and there could be some leniency for some situations, but if you give one person a break then you set a precedent. If it were your phone service, your car insurance, your television service, would you expect them to be any different? You agree to the terms when you pay your fees, and if you can't be available to "enjoy" the services, that is on you, the customer, and not on the seller of the services.

Seriously, I'm sorry you have had some hard times. However, if I paid for 180 days of premium last month, fully expecting to be able to play, and tomorrow I get a contract to fly to Nashville to produce a new artist, then it's my fault that I would not be available to play the game. I know it's not the same thing, but in the eyes of the company, how is it any different?

TL;DR: You paid for a service that you didn't use. Unfortunate things happen in life.

x.

Hans_von_Twitchy #6 Posted Aug 18 2016 - 05:57

Captain

• -Players-
  • 45712 battles
  • [SOYUZ] SOYUZ

View PostKamahl1234, on Aug 18 2016 - 05:51, said:

You're asking WG to make their premium also be a system which practically no other company does. One which will rob them of a lot of profits that they currently have.

What do you suggest us players pay for in lieu of those losses?

WG is going to make less money from me because I won't spend as much on their game as I used to. And because I won't have a membership, I'll be less reluctant to transfer all my playing across to some other game.

Companies don't tend to remain profitable for long if they annoy their customer base. I'm annoyed by WG's greed. We've all seen WG get greedier and greedier (no longer paying gold for duplicated on-track reward tanks, the insane number of rentals turning half the tiers into stupid battles, etc.)

And in any event, my post was just to point out something to the rest of the forum readers that I hadn't considered when I bought my memberships. Some of you might have medical problems and appreciate my pointing out this consequence of them.

Hans_von_Twitchy #7 Posted Aug 18 2016 - 05:58

Captain

• -Players-
  • 45712 battles
  • [SOYUZ] SOYUZ

View Postxrays_, on Aug 18 2016 - 05:57, said:

It's unfortunate that you have suffered physically/mentally due to your illness, but that doesn't mean that a pay-service should alter their tried-and-true system because of it. Sure, this is a game, and there could be some leniency for some situations, but if you give one person a break then you set a precedent. If it were your phone service, your car insurance, your television service, would you expect them to be any different? You agree to the terms when you pay your fees, and if you can't be available to "enjoy" the services, that is on you, the customer, and not on the seller of the services.

As it happens, I was able to suspend my car insurance. You chose an example that added weight to my point, thanks.

You're right about agreeing to the terms when you pay, that's why I pointed out this problem to other forum readers.

rokinamerica #8 Posted Aug 18 2016 - 06:01

Major

• Players
  • 5094 battles
I don't have medical problems, and I buy prem time very rarely. I play rarely. If I think I can play for a weekend, I buy a weekend of prem every so often. But I can play whenever I want without buying any prem time,and usually do. My car insurance doesn't stop charging me for every night I am home sleeping. 

__Pixy__ #9 Posted Aug 18 2016 - 06:06

Captain

• -Players-
  • 9674 battles
  • [AIMED] AIMED

View PostSuperJaws100, on Aug 17 2016 - 21:50, said:

There should be an "on-hiatus" option allowing you to disable your premium account for an extended period of time.

GIVE THIS MAN A COOKIE!

Budman24 #10 Posted Aug 18 2016 - 06:08

Captain

• Players
  • 10291 battles
I don't think wargaming will miss your money. How do you expect to prove to WG that you had a medical problem as apposed to not being able to play because you didn't have time because you were boinking your wifes sister

Hans_von_Twitchy #11 Posted Aug 18 2016 - 06:09

Captain

• -Players-
  • 45712 battles
  • [SOYUZ] SOYUZ

View PostSuperJaws100, on Aug 18 2016 - 05:50, said:

100% agree, and thanks.

Mokoma #12 Posted Aug 18 2016 - 06:11

Major

• -Players-
  • 17993 battles
Sorry to hear about your health problems man. Hope your recovery continues well!

However, you paid for a specific service, and received it. That you didn't use it is irrelevant. Hopefully your health cooperates and let's you take advantage of the services next time!

Hans_von_Twitchy #13 Posted Aug 18 2016 - 06:16

Captain

• -Players-
  • 45712 battles
  • [SOYUZ] SOYUZ

View PostLord_Hiney, on Aug 18 2016 - 06:11, said:

Sorry to hear about your health problems man. Hope your recovery continues well!

However, you paid for a specific service, and received it. That you didn't use it is irrelevant. Hopefully your health cooperates and let's you take advantage of the services next time!

For the 3rd or 4th time, the purpose of my post was to warn other forum readers to think about the risk. Sheesh!

Mischievous_Emperor #14 Posted Aug 18 2016 - 06:16

Major

• Players
  • 27820 battles
It's like buying a year of xbox live or psn.. they ain't gunna stop the service cause you had life issues.

Guest_Heldar_* #15 Posted Aug 18 2016 - 06:22

View PostHans_von_Twitchy, on Aug 17 2016 - 22:37, said:

I've twice purchased annual Premium Memberships for this game, and was happy to do so because I played most days. My last purchase expired two weeks ago, and I won't be buying another one because of the way WG expires memberships.

Early January this year, I had a medical problem -- fortunately a quality-of-life one, not quantity-of-life -- and one of the treatments for it is daily taking a pill that comes with a label warning of: "If affected do not drive a vehicle or operate machinery." In the past, I've always ignored those warnings because I've never been affected by anything -- but this pill was VERY different! I was so prone to dizziness that I had to be careful just turning around to talk with someone behind me, and I was completely incapable of driving a car. I tried playing a game of Tanks, choosing to use a slow-moving HT for the test. When the spawning countdown ended, I turned 90 degrees and drove in a straight line. Before I'd gone 50 meters, I'd suffered three mind-wrenching waves of disorientation, and I was in danger of throwing up on my keyboard.

The dizziness side-effect has been reducing very slowly as my body has adapted to the drug. and I'm now capable of playing Tanks for a while on most days, although fast-moving, furball brawls make me very confused. I'm enjoying getting back into the game after so many months off (apart from very occasional, unpleasant, "Can I play Tanks yet?" tests). Unfortunately, it's without a Premium Membership. Eight months of my last annual membership were wasted because I could not play, and WG's policy is to have them continue to countdown to expiration even on days that you do not play -- even if you spend weeks or months not playing.

Unless WG change their Premium Membership expiration policy to something less greedy and unfair, I will not be buying another one.

If you're thinking about buying Premium Membership, give some thought to the chance of involuntarily being unable to play for a while.

Im glad youre feeling better man..  M--M homies for lyfe 

Sucks about the premium time thing though, i agree.

LOUD_METAL #16 Posted Aug 18 2016 - 06:24

Captain

• -Players-
  • 9784 battles
The main reason why I haven't purchased  a premium account is because I'm unable to play every second week because of how my live works. Half my money will have been wasted, and purchasing a weekly premium account is rather expensive.

Harkonen_siegetank #17 Posted Aug 18 2016 - 06:25

Major

• Players
  • 28338 battles
  • [_LOL_] _LOL_

View PostHans_von_Twitchy, on Aug 18 2016 - 00:16, said:

For the 3rd or 4th time, the purpose of my post was to warn other forum readers to think about the risk. Sheesh!

And? Your health aside. I think most players know the risk by now. I'm positive at least half of the playerbase at one time paid for MMO subscription of some kind. This isnt a rare thing these days.

killswitch95 #18 Posted Aug 18 2016 - 07:12

Major

• Players
  • 40401 battles
  • [YOKAI] YOKAI

I don't wanna be "That Guy" but...

its been like this since the game came out, and if you've been keeping premium on as much as possible then you know the time ticks away when you're not playing as well...

from a player perspective pausing premium time is a good thing, from a business perspective, it's not... and WG is a business...

reason #69,420 why I refuse to spend money, or tourney gold on anymore than 3 days of premium, because I can't plan my game schedule more than 2 days in advance

with life, and I'm not wasting premium time on time i'm not playing...

that said, I really hope you get better, sounds like life is giving you some [edited] right now, and that sucks...

Edited by killswitch95, Aug 18 2016 - 07:14.

Hans_von_Twitchy #19 Posted Aug 18 2016 - 07:17

Captain

• -Players-
  • 45712 battles
  • [SOYUZ] SOYUZ

View Postkillswitch95, on Aug 18 2016 - 07:12, said:

that said, I really hope you get better, sounds like life is giving you some [edited] right now, and that sucks...

My advice is to not get old; it doesn't end well, and you don't get much wiser either.

Hans_von_Twitchy #20 Posted Aug 18 2016 - 07:29

Captain

• -Players-
  • 45712 battles
  • [SOYUZ] SOYUZ

View Postkillswitch95, on Aug 18 2016 - 07:12, said:

from a player perspective pausing premium time is a good thing, from a business perspective, it's not... and WG is a business...

I have an MBA, and by my age, I have experience starting and running quite a few businesses, and I disagree with your blanket "it's not"

Giving customers value for money and making them happy with your offerings is a very good place to start for building a successful business. The fact that nearly all of WG's competitors don't offer a membership pause is an excellent reason TO DO IT. Companies have to differentiate themselves from their competitors in ways existing and potential customers value and appreciate.

WG does some things right -- the game is free to play -- but its management is doing more and more wrong, especially the eroding value for money (aka greed). That's only going to get worse too, as WG's ability to work on its code base degrades further and its customer base diminishes, forcing WG to squeeze harder to keep its profits up.

Also tagged with Membership

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users