Higher tier enemys

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

RhandAlthor68 #1 Posted Jul 30 2011 - 21:05

Corporal

• Players
  • 47722 battles
Hi all,

Just started the game 2 days ago and loving it. Already upgraded to premium member ^^ I have a question tho: I just bought the 3rd german light tank the PzKpfw 38 (t). Upgraded all 4 members but since I bought it I only seem to get into battle's with much higher tiered tanks. Don't get me wrong I love a good fight, but when detected they only need to drive into me and shoot once's to kill me.. Tanks like the T46, BT-7 and A 20. But when I grab my first tank again I constantly wind up in fights like the one I have now... I was pretty succesfull last few fights due to patience and luck, do you get selected for a certain battlefield and opponent for skill ?

Thanks already, I know how frustrating noob questions can be ^^

FluffytheDestroyer #2 Posted Jul 30 2011 - 21:16

Sergeant

• Players
  • 510 battles
I believe the 'sway' of the matchmaker is one or two tiers to either side of you. So if you're in T2 (for example) then you'll see teir 1 and teir 3 tanks in the battle with you. If you're arty the sway is much larger. You can get an idea of where you are in the ranking for any particular match by looking at the listing of tanks along the side of the battle screen. If you're at the top you are among the highest tier tanks. If you are at the bottom you are among the lowest tier tanks.

You might also want to check out this thread for detailed information on how the matchmaker assigns tanks and arty to battles.

tiadashi #3 Posted Jul 30 2011 - 21:36

Major

• Players
  • 21234 battles
Ya that can be frustrating - however its only going to get worse or stay the same most of the time - i think its actually your tier plus up to 4 after tier 2 - i could be wrong though

Irrik #4 Posted Jul 30 2011 - 22:03

Corporal

• Players
  • 1166 battles
Generally, the matchmaking is going to be a spread of tanks around you in tier... so if you have a low tier tank, like tier 3, you are going to be at the bottom most of the time, simply because any spread that covers 3 tiers is always going to be at minimum tier 4, right (tier 1 tanks do not get treated like the rest, they are put in special newbie battles almost always, with light tanks only).

Also, non tanks get put in higher tier battles. A tier 3 SPG is almost ALWAYS at the bottom of the list, as they are treated as a much higher tier tank for matchmaking qualifications. Also, as you go higher in tier, light tanks get placed in VERY high tier battles where they can't do ANYTHING to the opposition. It's common to see a light tank in a match that is 3-4 tiers lower than the higher tier heavies in the match.

Similarly, tier 2 non light tanks will usually be in high tier battles, as a lot of the same tier light tanks that they could be matchmade with is siphoned off for placement in the newbie league, which is what you were being placed in to start.

Tier 2 lights and tier 5 mediums/heavies get good matchmaking. They are often placed in battles where they are near the top of the tier list. Especially tier 2 lights.

Your early success was probably partially due to placement: the tier 1/2 battles are the newbie league. There are competent players with fully upgraded tanks in there, but there are also a lot of guys who are pretty new, driving terrible pieces of garbage. Now you are seeing that the actual game is like with other players with the same amount of experience and quality of equipment... except the a-20, that thing is actually pretty dangerous to other light tanks. But the t-46 and bt-7 are not scary and dangerous tanks, and the t-46 is really not well suited to battling other light tanks, as it's main strength is it's penetration, which it doesn't need to wipe out enemy lights. If anything, the bt-7 is a bit weak, as it's barely an upgrade on it's predecessor, the bt-2.

It is only going to get worse from here, as you just left the best matchmaking in the game, the tier 2 light tank bracket.... but the bt-7 and the t-46 are NOT higher tier tanks. They are actually both the same tier as you, and should be pretty fair opposition. Both have very fragile armor so absolutely any hit you get on them should penetrate and go right through the entire tank, damaging every module in their path. You might want to download a good mod that displays the tank tier in game... I found one invaluable when I was starting, to gauge just how dangerous my opposition was likely to be. It's a poor substitute for actual knowledge specific to the tank, but it really helps.

Also, German tanks are frustrating in general, because they tend to start with really really bad starting equipment. I really recommend saving all your free exp for when you get a fresh tier 4 german tank with a tier 1 or 2 starting gun. They upgrade to become competitive, but some of them are an absolute joke when you first get them, and ramming enemy tanks is about the only thing they are good for. If you find your gun won't do anything, open the tech tree, and look at the roman numerals on your equipment, denoting what tier they are. If your tank has a "IV", and your gun has a "I", you are in TROUBLE.

RhandAlthor68 #5 Posted Jul 30 2011 - 23:12

Corporal

• Players
  • 47722 battles
Cool thank you all so much for the answers. I was just getting frustrated after being matched with KV and such wich I couldn't hurt while my barrel was up there hiney lol. I did indeed upgrade to max since I do seem to get enough credits every round. Maybe I should also try russian tanks. Or american for that matter. No matter what I stil do enjoy this a lot and found myself just playing another few hours. The minute you get a bit into the tactics its awesome. One of the best advantages of being dead is able to see how the "big" guys do it. Thanks again !!

Outrider01 #6 Posted Jul 30 2011 - 23:37

Sergeant

• Players
  • 5 battles

View PostRhandAlthor68, on Jul 30 2011 - 23:12, said:

Cool thank you all so much for the answers. I was just getting frustrated after being matched with KV and such wich I couldn't hurt while my barrel was up there hiney lol. I did indeed upgrade to max since I do seem to get enough credits every round. Maybe I should also try russian tanks. Or american for that matter. No matter what I stil do enjoy this a lot and found myself just playing another few hours. The minute you get a bit into the tactics its awesome. One of the best advantages of being dead is able to see how the "big" guys do it. Thanks again !!
If you see a KV, check the barrel.  First indication is the turret, if its tall and nearly flat then check the barrel: short and stout but very thick or long and skinny pecker like telephone pole, run because it can and will 1 shot alot of tier 4 tanks.  It is called the OneShotWonderGun, GodGun, or ThunderGun because in the hands of a good player or faced with lots of bad lesser tier tanks, it just rolls over them like the Backhand of God if the KV is on the top of the match maker line.

Echo_Sniper #7 Posted Jul 31 2011 - 00:00

Major

• Beta Testers
  • 21129 battles
  • [OTT-V] OTT-V
Some tier III and IV tanks are considered as scout tanks. Essentially these tanks are : BT-7, A-20, Pz III, Pz 38t NA, Leopard, M3 Stuart, M5 stuart.

In this tier you will face high tier tanks that'll eat you in no seconds. There's not a lot you can do about it. But with your speed and radio you can ''light them up'' so that arty can lend shots into that target. You could also make a run for their arty, but this usually ends up badly giving poor XP and credits in case of unsuccessful attempt(70% of the time).

ItsGonRain #8 Posted Jul 31 2011 - 23:00

First lieutenant

• Players
  • 37605 battles
This game should do this when you first start out but light tanks will always be a scout/harass tank. As a Pz38 you should either stick with arty to counter early light harass, patrol the frontline constantly lighting up enemy tanks. You can also hang out near the frontline and wait for an opportunity to rush up and try to harass any TD's/SPG's at their base. Also use your speed to your advantage by hitting the side and rear armour of tanks you come across but don't stop. Stopping in a light = death.

acelee07 #9 Posted Aug 05 2011 - 08:43

Corporal

• Players
  • 11287 battles
If your tank is a light tank and your gun cannot really do much damage against the mediums and heavies, one way is to find a nice cover (such as bushes/trees/buildings etc) that will allow you to hide behind. Even if you see enemy tanks, do not fire at them (if they are still some distance away); just scout for your arty/mediums/heavies to hit them instead. You still earn credits/xp by scouting/lighting such targets up and this is what you should do as a light tank. Once enough of the enemy mediums and heavies have been wiped out, you can start your fast run to go after the arty. Initially, I tried your way to shoot those mediums and heavies but I found out I was often the 1st to get killed so I tried the latter method. Though I did not get any kills, I still earned considerable xp by scouting for my fellow mediums/heavies/arty to kill.

PS: The one shot wondergun for the KV is informally known as "derp gun". So if you see someone say derp KV, watch out as the damage was supposed to be 700 hp with 60+ penetration (enough to kill most tier-3 or tier-4 tanks even through frontal armor). However, the "derp gun" has a 30s reload time so if enemy has fired already, you are safe for around 30s (enough time for you to escape or try to outflank and put a round though the soft behind of the KV).

Just my 2 cents worth  :)

GearaDoga #10 Posted Aug 05 2011 - 09:35

Major

• Players
  • 8517 battles
  • [WIH] WIH
Worse than that, acelee.  KV's 152mm does 910 damage with 86mm penetration.  Better on both counts!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users