Jump to content


I'm a little disappointed in many of the better players on this forum


  • Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

Mudman24 #1 Posted Aug 28 2016 - 16:53

    Major

  • Players
  • 36560 battles
  • 12,162
  • Member since:
    04-06-2012
I've been seeing a lot of newer players asking for help with getting better at Wot and increasing their winrate specifically.  The answers I am seeing consistently from some of the best players who post on this forum are 1) Platoon with better players (get carried) or 2) Play OP tanks. What happened to reading the flow of battle, knowing when to push and when to retreat, playing vision games, defending or capping, etc.? I miss Garbad. He could be an arrogant [edited], but he proved over and over that being good at this game resulted in winning, regardless of platooning or playing the most powerful tanks. I still believe in the long run, that you will win more if you perform better, even if you don't platoon, or play just the most powerful tanks.  I think you do new players a disservice by telling them that platooning is the only way to win more. 

Digital_Malamute #2 Posted Aug 28 2016 - 16:59

    Major

  • Players
  • 46753 battles
  • 10,180
  • [SHIMP] SHIMP
  • Member since:
    09-02-2011
Sadly most players think the game is simply to get to cap and the opponents tanks are to be avoided and do not care about gameplay tactics like you mentioned.

rafikmoulouel #3 Posted Aug 28 2016 - 17:02

    Corporal

  • Players
  • 50620 battles
  • 40
  • Member since:
    05-25-2013
Pray god to make rng ur ally , that works too

SanguTik #4 Posted Aug 28 2016 - 17:04

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 23200 battles
  • 525
  • Member since:
    11-28-2013
I regularly tell people to platoon with better players not so they can be carried but so they can learn from the better player and improve at the game. I've ran two "training" clans and taught many players who were averaging 49% win rates how to achieve 54%+ recent win rates. I regularly platoon with lower level players and it's rare that they don't improve at the game.

SwedishEOD #5 Posted Aug 28 2016 - 17:07

    Captain

  • Beta Testers
  • 57616 battles
  • 1,534
  • [-G-] -G-
  • Member since:
    07-24-2010

Because good players are tired of hearing the same preconceived notions about hacks , cheats, rigging must be someone elses fault but mine mentality. 

I bet if someone came in here and actually started a civil post and asked politely how to become better or what they could improve they would most likely get an polite answer.

Atleast until the worst trolls arrive in the thread.

 

But this isn't the way its happening now is it? Mostly someone comes in whining about invisi tanks , rigging WR , cheats and hacks and are so set in their views that it's impossible to get thru to them.

And that is the biggest problem with these forums , not that good players have become salty that is just a product of the other.



Deathstar_Commander #6 Posted Aug 28 2016 - 17:07

    Major

  • Players
  • 48683 battles
  • 2,490
  • [YODA] YODA
  • Member since:
    05-16-2011
I always give advice on how to win maps.... only the good players who already know my tips listen.

Mudman24 #7 Posted Aug 28 2016 - 17:08

    Major

  • Players
  • 36560 battles
  • 12,162
  • Member since:
    04-06-2012

View PostSanguTik, on Aug 28 2016 - 10:04, said:

I regularly tell people to platoon with better players not so they can be carried but so they can learn from the better player and improve at the game. I've ran two "training" clans and taught many players who were averaging 49% win rates how to achieve 54%+ recent win rates. I regularly platoon with lower level players and it's rare that they don't improve at the game.

This is a valid point.  I've just been seeing a lot of players who seem to imply that without platooning you have no control over winning. 



alexanderme #8 Posted Aug 28 2016 - 17:09

    Major

  • Players
  • 22503 battles
  • 3,207
  • Member since:
    08-01-2013

Most of the advice I've seen or given is "platoon with better players in similar tanks and watch how they play so you get to know how to play the tank"

Some things just can't be explained without being in a game, and a lot of it just comes down to experience and instinct.



BigRedTankGuy #9 Posted Aug 28 2016 - 17:09

    Captain

  • Players
  • 28045 battles
  • 1,897
  • [A-O-G] A-O-G
  • Member since:
    09-29-2012

View Post_Tsavo_, on Aug 28 2016 - 17:01, said:

I'm a touch jaded, but if someone actually wants advice, I'll try to help.  Sometimes my snark overshadows the help :C

 

Tsavo I've always liked your input on the Forums. You are normally very detailed in your responses from what I've seen. I saw you for the first time on your Twitch yesterday. You looked nothing like what I expected lol and I wont even go into detail about the little IS-6 hill incident during the stream :)

E25_Syndrome_Aito #10 Posted Aug 28 2016 - 17:09

    Major

  • Players
  • 59653 battles
  • 9,838
  • [2-ND] 2-ND
  • Member since:
    08-23-2011

When you do not expect anything from anyone, you can't get disappointed either.

 



Guido1212 #11 Posted Aug 28 2016 - 17:15

    Major

  • Players
  • 75973 battles
  • 7,776
  • [CARTL] CARTL
  • Member since:
    06-11-2011

View PostMudman24, on Aug 28 2016 - 15:53, said:

I've been seeing a lot of newer players asking for help with getting better at Wot and increasing their winrate specifically.  The answers I am seeing consistently from some of the best players who post on this forum are 1) Platoon with better players (get carried) or 2) Play OP tanks. What happened to reading the flow of battle, knowing when to push and when to retreat, playing vision games, defending or capping, etc.? I miss Garbad. He could be an arrogant [edited], but he proved over and over that being good at this game resulted in winning, regardless of platooning or playing the most powerful tanks. I still believe in the long run, that you will win more if you perform better, even if you don't platoon, or play just the most powerful tanks.  I think you do new players a disservice by telling them that platooning is the only way to win more. 

 

It is unfortunate.  But what's even more unfortunate is that most of the very best players don't even come to these forums any more.  They post elsewhere because of the constant stream of ridiculousness here.  On the other sites when someone comes in wrapped in tin foil they get soundly crushed and if they are toxic or stupid enough they are allowed to make a meme of themselves and them banned.

 

Here, we have all kinds of conspiracies and excuses and blame. 

 

 



Roadhardputawaywet #12 Posted Aug 28 2016 - 17:17

    Captain

  • Players
  • 38288 battles
  • 1,382
  • [RC125] RC125
  • Member since:
    09-10-2011

View PostMudman24, on Aug 28 2016 - 07:53, said:

I've been seeing a lot of newer players asking for help with getting better at Wot and increasing their winrate specifically.  The answers I am seeing consistently from some of the best players who post on this forum are 1) Platoon with better players (get carried) or 2) Play OP tanks. What happened to reading the flow of battle, knowing when to push and when to retreat, playing vision games, defending or capping, etc.? I miss Garbad. He could be an arrogant [edited], but he proved over and over that being good at this game resulted in winning, regardless of platooning or playing the most powerful tanks. I still believe in the long run, that you will win more if you perform better, even if you don't platoon, or play just the most powerful tanks.  I think you do new players a disservice by telling them that platooning is the only way to win more. 

 

++ Then to add to it - you get the trolls who offer nothing but insults - well said.:great:

Warhorse01 #13 Posted Aug 28 2016 - 17:21

    Major

  • Players
  • 40528 battles
  • 2,160
  • [P2WIN] P2WIN
  • Member since:
    06-21-2012

View PostMudman24, on Aug 28 2016 - 09:53, said:

  I think you do new players a disservice by telling them that platooning is the only way to win more. 

 

What you fail to realize is platooning with players better than you will teach you reading the flow of battle, knowing when to push and when to retreat, defending or capping, etc. While in TS with them they can also talk about vision mechanics. Platooning and hanging with better players does have a use besides increasing win rate. I know this because it has helped me greatly. I still have over issues with being over aggressive, There are many out there they will help and give good advice, but platooning does help. As for some of the excuses that only good players listen, your full of crap as I was a 400 win 8 with well over 15k battles. Took a good player showing me WOT labs and a lot of advice to get me to where I am now. Yep, I am not a awesome player but I sure as hell have improved. I will improve even more if I can find the time to play. 



KorbanDallasMultipass #14 Posted Aug 28 2016 - 17:21

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 41756 battles
  • 422
  • Member since:
    08-01-2013

When they say platoon with good players I dont think they mean get carried.  I think the mean platoon with good players and learn from what they do.

 

I'm not that good but I think I did pretty well getting to a respectable level on my own.  My personal advice is watch commented(if possible) replays of good games on youtube.  And keep asking yourself "what decision would I have taken there?", "Why did what he did work?" etc...



pyantoryng #15 Posted Aug 28 2016 - 17:21

    Major

  • Players
  • 16657 battles
  • 9,895
  • Member since:
    05-14-2011

It's no longer about gameplay...it's only about making your statistics look good and easing the grind...

 

Must've been four years ago when a certain guy started to popularize statistics warfare and platooning (around the time the term 'unicum' was coined)...and it all went down a slippery slope...



Blackhorse_Six_ #16 Posted Aug 28 2016 - 17:22

    Major

  • Players
  • 46178 battles
  • 10,030
  • [HHT] HHT
  • Member since:
    03-19-2011

The Call-of-Duty console crowd doesn't bother much with tactics

 

Blame WG for pandering to them.



Blackhorse_Six_ #17 Posted Aug 28 2016 - 17:26

    Major

  • Players
  • 46178 battles
  • 10,030
  • [HHT] HHT
  • Member since:
    03-19-2011

View Postalexanderme, on Aug 28 2016 - 11:09, said:

Most of the advice I've seen or given is "platoon with better players in similar tanks and watch how they play so you get to know how to play the tank"

Some things just can't be explained without being in a game, and a lot of it just comes down to experience and instinct.

 

A dose of history helps, too

Digital_Malamute #18 Posted Aug 28 2016 - 17:26

    Major

  • Players
  • 46753 battles
  • 10,180
  • [SHIMP] SHIMP
  • Member since:
    09-02-2011

View Postpyantoryng, on Aug 28 2016 - 11:21, said:

It's no longer about gameplay...it's only about making your statistics look good and easing the grind...

 

Must've been four years ago when a certain guy started to popularize statistics warfare and platooning (around the time the term 'unicum' was coined)...and it all went down a slippery slope...

 

Good point and the "statistics war".  Reminds me of the Vietnam War "body counts" and how that was of more importance that "winning" the war.

Warhorse01 #19 Posted Aug 28 2016 - 17:28

    Major

  • Players
  • 40528 battles
  • 2,160
  • [P2WIN] P2WIN
  • Member since:
    06-21-2012

View Postoldsurferjoe, on Aug 28 2016 - 10:17, said:

 

++ Then to add to it - you get the trolls who offer nothing but insults - well said.:great:

 

You have to ignore the trolls, but I have personally found the majority are willing to help. While this game has a lot of toxic, it has far more good. It is the people that think they are a superhero because they are good at playing tanks that are the toxic ones. Loud mouths behind a keyboard are just that, you have to ignore the trolls and engage in conversation with the people willing to give you what it is you seek in advice. It also helps to ask good questions. The question how do I get good just doesn't get it. Questions like that feed the trolls. 

JaguarXF #20 Posted Aug 28 2016 - 17:28

    First lieutenant

  • Players
  • 62741 battles
  • 822
  • Member since:
    05-13-2011
I want to answer this post but first, has the warning system gone into effect yet????




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users