Jump to content


1>15 matches and the joy of the fight


  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

SiberianKhatru #1 Posted Sep 08 2016 - 21:51

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 35424 battles
  • 371
  • [-HELL] -HELL
  • Member since:
    06-02-2011

Disclaimer:  due to connection quality issues, I play NA West exclusively

 

1>15 refers to those matches where one team loses one tank and the other team loses 15...typically in the first five minutes.  You know what I am talking about. Over the years these sorts of games have been somewhat rare.   Expecially rare are the flawless matches where one team loses no tanks, the other loses all...again typically within the first four to five minutes.

 

Is it just me or are these poorly formed matches becoming more common?  The past few months it seems to be happening more and more.

Perhaps it is just the NA west server and a lowering of the server population?

 

I will tell you that being on the team that routes the opposing team is fun the first few hundred times, but after a while it becomes much less enthralling.

Because I know how unenjoyable it is beeing on the defeated team getting routed.

 

The fact that there are forces outside the control of the players, like matchmaker team building, and random number generator, can make for a much less interesting and enjoyable gaming experience.  Especially if it starts to trend upward in occurrence.

 

Just me and my sucking?  Thoughts? 



65Camino #2 Posted Sep 08 2016 - 22:01

    Captain

  • Players
  • 36019 battles
  • 1,288
  • [2CMBG] 2CMBG
  • Member since:
    09-18-2013
I have been noticing more blowout matches of late as a result of unbalances in the matchmaking - hp weighting favored to one team and the biggest factor being that no consideration is given to player skill level. Hold the phone, these blowout matches are not pitched against my efforts, probably have experienced near to an equal amount in terms of being on one side or the other. I can see where these types of matches may discourage newer players and certainly don't help my fondness for the game. Closer games are way more satisfying, even if you are on the losing side.

BashirTheTrainMaster #3 Posted Sep 08 2016 - 22:02

    Captain

  • Players
  • 31696 battles
  • 1,443
  • Member since:
    07-14-2012
Tanks needs more favorable game modes. That shall bring some of the fun back.... in theory.

blackfalconjc #4 Posted Sep 08 2016 - 22:07

    Captain

  • Players
  • 7672 battles
  • 1,996
  • [GTO] GTO
  • Member since:
    06-14-2014

While it may be anecdotal evidence, I've been seeing a lot of blow out matches, although it's usually more like 0-12. It's not a complete blow out, but we lost/won within 3-4 minutes and it was a huge lemming rush up one side of the map. Usually the hallmarks of this type of game are the huge lemming rush, a few tanks on either side trying successfully or unsuccessfully to slow them down, and either a final hunt down or quick cap for the win.

 

I've lost probably 5-6 games in the last week alone due to being capped out by the enemy team despite being at the enemy cap and having 2-3 kills (sometimes 4-5). The other night I had a 2k+ damage 4 kills match in my Churchill VII, and lost to being capped by an enemy KV-5 that a 4 friendly tanks were somehow unable to kill/stop...



SiberianKhatru #5 Posted Sep 08 2016 - 22:07

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 35424 battles
  • 371
  • [-HELL] -HELL
  • Member since:
    06-02-2011
yeah, I'm perking up a bit...after 26k battles I think I have had my fill.  It's an interesting thought.....

Edited by SiberianKhatru, Sep 08 2016 - 22:08.


Gang_Starr #6 Posted Sep 08 2016 - 22:09

    Major

  • Players
  • 16298 battles
  • 3,348
  • Member since:
    04-09-2014

View PostSiberianKhatru, on Sep 08 2016 - 15:51, said:

Disclaimer:  I play NA West exclusively

 

Well THERE'S your problem.

Hiroe #7 Posted Sep 08 2016 - 22:09

    Major

  • Players
  • 13615 battles
  • 4,113
  • Member since:
    09-18-2013
It seems like I'm in the minority here, but I really enjoy the RNG. It makes the experience more exciting, like yesterday when I got a moderately high roll on a top clan member and destroyed his tank. It was even more exciting when he verbally abused me afterward for getting a moderately high roll. I did 478 damage in my 113.

LesterQuaestor #8 Posted Sep 08 2016 - 22:14

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 11970 battles
  • 1,308
  • Member since:
    03-26-2015

Block Quote

 It seems like I'm in the minority here, but I really enjoy the RNG.

 

  I agree with you. A tank game should be dominated by RNG.

 

  Consider Advanced Squad Leader (see the avatar). A hit would yield either a kill or no effect. (There were also minor events like immobilization, shock and stun.) 

 

  I think WoT would be better if penetrating hits were very likely to knock out a tank in one shot. As above, I know I am in the minority.



AMSRocker #9 Posted Sep 08 2016 - 22:17

    Major

  • Players
  • 39460 battles
  • 6,104
  • [SPRAY] SPRAY
  • Member since:
    11-07-2011

View PostSiberianKhatru, on Sep 08 2016 - 12:51, said:

Disclaimer:  due to connection quality issues, I play NA West exclusively

 

1>15 refers to those matches where one team loses one tank and the other team loses 15...typically in the first five minutes.  You know what I am talking about. Over the years these sorts of games have been somewhat rare.   Expecially rare are the flawless matches where one team loses no tanks, the other loses all...again typically within the first four to five minutes.

 

Is it just me or are these poorly formed matches becoming more common?  The past few months it seems to be happening more and more.

Perhaps it is just the NA west server and a lowering of the server population?

 

I will tell you that being on the team that routes the opposing team is fun the first few hundred times, but after a while it becomes much less enthralling.

Because I know how unenjoyable it is beeing on the defeated team getting routed.

 

The fact that there are forces outside the control of the players, like matchmaker team building, and random number generator, can make for a much less interesting and enjoyable gaming experience.  Especially if it starts to trend upward in occurrence.

 

Just me and my sucking?  Thoughts? 

 

No it's not just you. This has been an issue to me too and I agree that we are seeing more blowouts. No we can't stop them all but we can try to reduce them.

 

View PostGang_Starr, on Sep 08 2016 - 13:09, said:

 

Well THERE'S your problem.

 



AMSRocker #10 Posted Sep 08 2016 - 22:21

    Major

  • Players
  • 39460 battles
  • 6,104
  • [SPRAY] SPRAY
  • Member since:
    11-07-2011

View PostHiroe, on Sep 08 2016 - 13:09, said:

It seems like I'm in the minority here, but I really enjoy the RNG. It makes the experience more exciting,

 



Hiroe #11 Posted Sep 08 2016 - 22:25

    Major

  • Players
  • 13615 battles
  • 4,113
  • Member since:
    09-18-2013

View PostLesterQuaestor, on Sep 08 2016 - 17:14, said:

 

  I agree with you. A tank game should be dominated by RNG.

 

  Consider Advanced Squad Leader (see the avatar). A hit would yield either a kill or no effect. (There were also minor events like immobilization, shock and stun.) 

 

  I think WoT would be better if penetrating hits were very likely to knock out a tank in one shot. As above, I know I am in the minority.

 

Hmm. I feel like 35% RNG would be okay, or at least interesting to experience for a while.

 

I wouldn't mind a mode like that honestly. I think it would be more tactical, and people would likely take a more conservative approach. If so, it would have a slower pace, so more thought would go into every move. Most of the time I play pretty slowly and observe what's happening elsewhere, so I would enjoy that part. All considered, I think there's a good chance it would be fun for some people, myself included.



SiberianKhatru #12 Posted Sep 08 2016 - 22:25

    Staff sergeant

  • Players
  • 35424 battles
  • 371
  • [-HELL] -HELL
  • Member since:
    06-02-2011
when I play East NA my ping times go from 30 to 130...lag becomes an issue and I don't do lag well.  So, its West NA or nothing.  Nothing is an an interesting alternative.

Edited by SiberianKhatru, Sep 08 2016 - 22:26.


BashirTheTrainMaster #13 Posted Sep 08 2016 - 22:27

    Captain

  • Players
  • 31696 battles
  • 1,443
  • Member since:
    07-14-2012
RNG might make more sense if each maps's unique weather contributed to RNG to more or lessen the effect.

Hiroe #14 Posted Sep 08 2016 - 22:29

    Major

  • Players
  • 13615 battles
  • 4,113
  • Member since:
    09-18-2013

View PostBashirTheTrainMaster, on Sep 08 2016 - 17:27, said:

RNG might make more sense if each maps's unique weather contributed to RNG to more or lessen the effect.

 

That's a neat idea. I feel like it won't happen, but I'd probably really enjoy it if it ever did.

LesterQuaestor #15 Posted Sep 08 2016 - 22:29

    Captain

  • -Players-
  • 11970 battles
  • 1,308
  • Member since:
    03-26-2015

Block Quote

 I wouldn't mind a mode like that honestly. I think it would be more tactical, and people would likely take a more conservative approach. If so it would have a slower pace, so more thought would go into every move. Most of the time I play pretty slowly and observe what's happening elsewhere, so I would enjoy that part. All considered, I think there's a solid chance it would be fun for some people.

 

 You are exactly right. A tank game should be about setting up a good position and taking a good shot. But there is a greater market for FPSs where people run around blasting at things and using hit points as a scoring mechanism. The sad fact is, that's what people want.

 



Willy_W_Wonka #16 Posted Sep 08 2016 - 22:36

    Major

  • Players
  • 48714 battles
  • 11,476
  • [_D_] _D_
  • Member since:
    10-15-2013
Welcome to the new meta where platoons can absolutely dominate while the tier and class balance becomes degraded with each and every class week.




1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users